Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by autumnwind View Post
    Btw her love towards candy shop is just....i don't know why she is so obsessed with it. God only knows. Lol
    Because it's her only successful reinvention this decade.
    When we lose what we love
    Don't think anything will ever taste the same
    When we lose what we love
    Don't think anything will ever feel as good again

Comment

• Originally posted by NoAngel View Post

Because it's her only successful reinvention this decade.
      But it was released 13 years ago

Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Originally posted by autumnwind View Post
        Btw her love towards candy shop is just....i don't know why she is so obsessed with it. God only knows. Lol
        Because her sugar is raw

Comment

• Candy Shop was robbed of a release and proper success due to a crime that Madonna, herself admitted to: sticking around.

Ageism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeph View Post
            Candy Shop was robbed of a release and proper success due to a crime that Madonna, herself admitted to: sticking around.

Ageism.
            No it wasn’t.

Madonna wanted it as lead single but it leaked like a year in advance, with a LQ version appearing online in July 2007. Every Madonna album (except Madame X) over the last twenty years had leaks but never as far ahead as Candy Shop (and Beat Goes On).

Warner pushed ahead with 4 Minutes (quite rightly) but clearly Madonna wasn’t happy being steamrolled because when GMAYL leaked three months ahead of the Super Bowl she pressed forward with it.

Candy Shop wouldn’t have done Madonna any favours. She performed it during her Hard Candy promo tour and as it was released during the iTunes era, it could have found an audience organically, but didn’t.

I have always like the song but it really isn’t single worthy... though I’d have been okay with it being the 4th single.
            Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• As much as I dislike 4Minutes, no one in the world can deny Warner was right releasing it as first single , I mean, the single Sold more than 3 mil copies in Usa, number 1 in Uk and all over Europe, it also topped the charts in Australia and Canada.
              M couldn’t be more wrong being so obsessed to release CS as debut single at the time

Comment

• Originally posted by Forreal View Post
                As much as I dislike 4Minutes, no one in the world can deny Warner was right releasing it as first single , I mean, the single Sold more than 3 mil copies in Usa, number 1 in Uk and all over Europe, it also topped the charts in Australia and Canada.
                M couldn’t be more wrong being so obsessed to release CS as debut single at the time
                At that time it had to be. Justin and madonna were a good pair. It hit the right spot. Cool
                Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• I dont understand how people can dislike 4 Minutes. Its infectious. Its clearly the only option for 1st single.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post
                    I dont understand how people can dislike 4 Minutes. Its infectious. Its clearly the only option for 1st single.
                    I feel the same. Always loved "4 Minutes" and certainly got Madonna a new generation of fans too.
                    It's a very good song and also quite commercial song. Can't stop dancing once I listen to it.

It still is among Madonna TOP 5 biggest global hits ever (on Mediatraffic and IFPI) and in UK was #01 for 4 weeks so along with "Into The Groove" it's Madonna longest #01 in UK Charts.

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28948/madonna/

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post
                      I dont understand how people can dislike 4 Minutes. Its infectious. Its clearly the only option for 1st single.
                      I don't find it infectious at all. I think it's one of her most boring songs. No strong melody.
                      I know it's hated by most here, but when I think of infectious, I think of Superstar. Now that song is infectious.
                      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Imagine Candy Shop as the first single off HC, the tragedy
                        Oh M ...

Comment

• Have you guys watched Madame Xtra Q&A?
                          5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Candy Shop could’ve been a single if not for ageism. Not denying 4 minutes is a great song along with Give It 2 Me (one of my personal faves) but it couldn’t have grown that organically as GI2M reached an organic debut and peak in the mid 50s of the Hot 100 first week out if I recall correctly.

Radio still meant something back then even as rules for debuting on the Hot 100 were changed at the point where singles no longer had to be officially released. Still blame ageism.

Comment

• Both "4 Minutes" and "Candy Shop" are embarrassments in Madonna's catalogue despite the success the former has enjoyed.

Comment

• There are those who loved Hard Candy and they those who loathed it for one reason or another.

I happen to fall with those in the former category and don’t understand the disdain others have for it. But then again music just like anything else creative is art. Art is appreciated in different ways and perhaps the intense detest or immense admiration is tied into the chapter of our lives we were all in at the point in time. After all it is with all certainty that I must confess that no other artist has played such a pivotal role in the soundtrack of my life up until a certain point as has or even still does, as Madonna.

But then again I loved Latte while others could care less. That’s what so magical about art. It’s not love nor hate but a balancing act of the two combined with the circumstance or circumstances that you or I may attribute to a certain era and sound paralleled with our own existence at said era.

Comment

• Well, GI2M debuted at #57 on BB Hot 100 due to
                                  the album release and a Paul Oakenfold remix, but it was far from success in the States. Back in 2008 most mainstream albums had another track or tracks debuting on the BB Hot 100 chart during the week of album’s release. For example, Mariah Carey’s “Migrate” debuted two weeks before at #94.

I still love 4 Minutes, CS is cute but it would’ve been a disaster on the charts. It has nothing to do with ageism. Despite being M’s favorite and the fact that I always liked it, it works better on the tour while the track always seemed unfinished as a polished demo version.

But Miles Away, Beat Goes On and Devil are surely wasted opportunities, despite the fact that MA was somewhat released as a proper single.

Comment

• Miles Away certainly deserved more. One of my faves from the album also included Voices. Some say the album sounded dated at its release or Madonna jumped on the Timbaland bandwagon to follow a trend. But nevertheless it’s a great album with great tracks. Even Spanish Lessons sounded awesome in the clubs. A track that would otherwise would’ve been a contender for a b side.

Back to Candy Shop- there is no doubt it’s was phenomenal on tour but the same magic could’ve been recreated via music video and at another time a different audience.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                      When I think of infectious, I think of Superstar. Now that song is infectious.
                                      That is an infection no one wants haha

I love 4 Minutes and it was 100% the right 1st single. A huge hit that is still remembered.

Comment

• 4 Minutes was a monster of a hit and so deserved. If we’re going to talk about ageism, the only reason it wasn’t a #1 in the US is because radio refused to play Madonna - it got to #3 on the Hot 100 on pure sales alone.

Working with Justin, Timbaland, Pharrell and Danja was far from an inspired choice, but I think it’s undeniable how they brought their a-game for Madonna - the first half of the album (Candy Shop to She’s Not Me) is as strong a run of songs as any on an album that came before it.

Hard Candy has aged really well, only sounding a bit dated on 4 Minutes - but it’s still a killer song. I really wish Madonna and Warner had parted on better terms and given Give It 2 Me and Miles Away the treatment of deserved - the GI2M video was pretty bad and Miles Away deserved a big budget video.
                                        Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                                          4 Minutes was a monster of a hit and so deserved. If we’re going to talk about ageism, the only reason it wasn’t a #1 in the US is because radio refused to play Madonna - it got to #3 on the Hot 100 on pure sales alone.

In fact,that's not true.
                                          American radios did play 4 minutes and it reached #11 on overall airplay and #6 on Mainstream top 40 .
                                          The video went viral and everyone talked about it.
                                          I vividly remember how it was a HUGE success on you tube and even Miley Cyrus made a parody of it.
                                          Too bad Madonna's team has always been a slow mess and one(or several) step(s) behind competition.
                                          The video on YT was ,at first, a fan upload and was taken down (for the first time) when it had almost 100 million views and that,in 2008, was mind-blowing.
                                          The song didn't go #1 due to bad timing (sales+airplay peaking at the same time), blame it on Warner.
                                          Last edited by BodyShop; Sat November 20, 2021, 10:11.

Comment

• Did things even go viral in 2008?
                                            Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post
                                              In fact,that's not true.
                                              American radios did play 4 minutes and it reached #11 on overall airplay and #6 on Mainstream top 40 .
                                              The video went viral and everyone talked about it.
                                              I vividly remember how it was a HUGE success on you tube and even Miley Cirrus made a parody of it.
                                              Too bad Madonna's team has always been a slow mess and one(or several) step(s) behind competition.
                                              The video on YT was ,at first, a fan upload and was taken down (for the first time) when it had almost 100 million views and that,in 2008, was mind-blowing.
                                              The song didn't go #1 due to bad timing (sales+airplay peaking at the same time), blame it on Warner.
                                              It did reach #11 on overall airplay but that was weeks after peaking on sales.
                                              The week the song peaked #03 on Hot 100 was still out of TOP 40 radio airplay.

I'm sure Justin Timberlake, Timbaland and the song peaking at US TOP 3 made radios give a bit more airplay to the song.

Warner did sent the song to radio and push radios to play it but radios took time to make up their mind (except a few stations that always support Madonna new songs and dance radio stations). Don't blame it on Warner that radios are ageist and only decided to give the song more plays after the song peak #03 on Hot 100 and stayed at #01 on sales for quite a few weeks.

"Hung Up" wasn't so lucky as even after weeks at #01 on sales and download charts and after peaking at #07 on Hot 100 only peaked #42 on airplay (dance radios still played it enough to be #01 dance airplay hit on year end charts). But "Hung Up" didn't have Justin Timberlake and Timbaland to help it gain airplay - at the time this became Justin Timberlake biggest hit ever worldwide (and still is his second biggest hit ever worldwide - after the Max Martin penned and produced song for Dreamwork film Trolls "Can't Stop The Feeling").
                                              Last edited by MadNuno; Fri November 19, 2021, 13:18.

Comment

• Had Madonna and Justin performed on American TV I think it would have hit #1 - Madonna didn’t do any TV performances in the US for Hard Candy, which still makes no sense considering it was such an obvious attempt at reclaiming the US charts.
                                                Bleep Bloop Blop

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

It did reach #11 on overall airplay but that was weeks after peaking on sales.
                                                  The week the song peaked #03 on Hot 100 was still out of TOP 40 radio airplay.

I'm sure Justin Timberlake, Timbaland and the song peaking at US TOP 3 made radios give a bit more airplay to the song.
                                                  And that's why I wrote the song didn't go #1 due to bad timing (airplay X sales peak and to "blame it on warner"
                                                  Regardless of when the peak happened ,it's a fact radios played 4 minutes.
                                                  What Artoo said about promo is true.
                                                  Had madonna performed the song at least ONCE on a big TV show - keep in mind that back then that worked wonders to boost a song's success- I'm almost 100% sure another #1 on the Hot 100 would be in the bag.
                                                  Well...it truly was a missed opportunity to go all the way and pull all stops .

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                                                    Did things even go viral in 2008?
                                                    Absolutely.
                                                    Obviously not tik tok level of "going viral"
                                                    You had a lot of people on you tube talking about the video,dancing to the coreography she and Justin do on it and even making parodies of it.
                                                    like this,for example:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun...outputType=amp

Back then ,I was already subscribed to several you tubers(even though they were not even called that yet lol).
                                                    ​​​The 4 Minutes video was a huge,huge success and her team missed the opportunity to capitalize on it.
                                                    Last edited by BodyShop; Fri November 19, 2021, 13:36.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X