No announcement yet.

Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Madonna always held back when it came to performances. Celine had so many specials and they were always successful. Madonna just had a pajama party and hoped people would buy the album...

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post
      Yes Madonna always held back when it came to performances. Celine had so many specials and they were always successful. Madonna just had a pajama party and hoped people would buy the album...
      Madonna has had a TON of TV Specials through the years in just the US and UK alone

Go on YouTube

When American Life came out she had the NBC prime time “Madonna An American Life “ special, the MTV primetime “Madonna On Stage and on the Record”, an hour and a half special , produced exclusively for TV

Blond Ambition, Girlie Show and Drowned World Tours all aired live on HBO

Confessuons Tour was a two hour NBC special

sticky and Sweet and MDNA tours aired on Epix and an edited version of S&S on VH1

Rebel Heart Tour aired on Showtime

Even I’m Going To Tell You a Secret aired as a 2 hour documentary special on MTV, VH1 and Logo

There were tons of making the video specials, the Bedtime Story pajama party etc, career documentary specials (MTV alone had Rockumentary, Madonna A Body of Work, Madonna Videography), there were E True Hollywood Story, Behind the Music, A &E Biography, MSNBC Time and Again, the unauthorized 2 hour prime time tv Madonna Exposed special from 1993

Plus all her one hour talks show appearances that can be counted as “specials”( Larry King, Oprah, Ellen, Anderson , Jonathan Ross, Parkinson etc)

Let’s not forget Madonna Rising, Madonna’s Greatest TV Moments, making of Evita etc

What I think is funny is there were NO Madonna TV specials in the 80s

Thats just odd

Even her two 80s tours were packaged as TV specials like her subsequent tours

Comment

• Originally posted by britneyliam View Post

Madonna is 63.
        She’s the most streamed female artists on Spotify at that age 60
        Madonna hasn’t flopped in the US since 2003. The entire music industry, album sales, collapsed around 2002-2005

Confessions sold 2 million in the US which was comparable to the 4 million ROL sold in the US in 98-99 as album sales had already dropped in half by 2005

She had two of her biggest selling US singles with Hung Up and 4 Minutes (her biggest selling US single) post 2003

5 further #1 Billboard albums

Billboard named Madonna the top singles sales artist of the 2000s ( US only) in 2009 which is phenomenal for a 40 something year old act who debuted in 1982

Comment

• Originally posted by Maddy1982 View Post

Madonna has had a TON of TV Specials through the years in just the US and UK alone

Go on YouTube
          That's not the kind of "tv special" we're talking about.
          We mean her performing her songs live on a stage for an audience.
          Much like a live show but produced for tv and possibly with guests dueting with her,costume and stage changes,etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post

That's not the kind of "tv special" we're talking about.
            We mean her performing her songs live on a stage for an audience.
            Much like a live show but produced for tv and possibly with guests dueting with her,costume and stage changes,etc.
            I understand. The closest we have than is 2003’’s MTV Special “Madonna Onstage and on the Record”, which was done exclusively for TV with Madonna singing and playing instruments and taking questions from the audience etc

Comment

I understand. The closest we have than is 2003’’s MTV Special “Madonna Onstage and on the Record”, which was done exclusively for TV with Madonna singing and playing instruments and taking questions from the audience etc
              It is, but it’s still not the same. OSAFTR was basically Madonna in the TRL studio performing four or five songs. I’m talking something bigger, more elaborate, with sets and costumes, a blend of cinema and theatre etc.
              Never underestimate a droid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post

It is, but it’s still not the same. OSAFTR was basically Madonna in the TRL studio performing four or five songs. I’m talking something bigger, more elaborate, with sets and costumes, a blend of cinema and theatre etc.
                Madonna only does that for her professionally shot tours, but at least EVERY Madonna tour since BA had been packaged as a TV special , although Madame X went to streaming

Can’t say that about all pop stars

That being said, I wouldn’t mind a cheesy, 2 hour 70s type variety special with special guests like Cher

It would be entertaining to say the least

Comment

Madonna only does that for her professionally shot tours, but at least EVERY Madonna tour since BA had been packaged as a TV special , although Madame X went to streaming
                  You’re missing the point and that’s okay. Television is its own art form and an art form Madonna has really explored as a way of delivering her music to an audience through her own special.

Her tours are live entertainment shows in (mostly) large venues. Recordings exist to capture the moment - I’m asking for something deliberately created in a different medium to create a new moment.

Comment

True. Maybe not the kind of special everyone wants, but I was always very happy with all the specials that came along. I'm also a fan of Mariah, Janet, Celine, Whitney and none of them got as many specials. Especially MTV would favour Madonna by far and dedicate so many hours to our Queen.
                    Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Lately i stan so hard for The Girlie Show. No artist (dead or alive) can make a better show, the transition from Erotica to Fever is so iconic.
                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                        No artist (dead or alive) can make a better show…

Comment

• I do think Confessions Tour is hugely overrated.
                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

I do think Confessions Tour is hugely overrated.
                            I love it the most. It was the first Maddy concert I saw. I loved the live production of the songs. Jump still remains one of the best songs by anyone ever.
                            My Chart

Comment

I do think Confessions Tour is hugely overrated.

That’s how I feel about Blond Ambition.

Comment

I'm starting to agree on this.
                                Apart from the first and second section + Vogue, the remaining parts of the show are...nice but nothing spectacular.
                                5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post

I'm starting to agree on this.
                                  Apart from the first and second section + Vogue, the remaining parts of the show are...nice but nothing spectacular.
                                  Yup. Everything to the end of Papa Don’t Preach is great, but then it’s a slog waiting for Vogue and Holiday.

Comment

• Hmmm, Madonna hanging out with Kanye and his new girlfriend, and others.

Comment

• Blond Ambition has so many highlights:
                                      Express Yourself
                                      Like a prayer
                                      Sooner or Later
                                      Material Girl
                                      Cherish
                                      Keep it Together

Every section had at least one highlight.
                                      Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• No words can describe the greatness of Blond Ambition and I'm a much bigger fan of her tours from 01 onwards

Comment

• To be fair all of her tours in my opinion have one section that isn't as good as the other sections.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post
                                            To be fair all of her tours in my opinion have one section that isn't as good as the other sections.
                                            Whilst this is true, I don’t think any of her shows show such a drop in quality between sections like BAT. I don’t hold it against her though, it was only her second world tour after all.

Comment

We have to put "Blond Ambition" in time.

By 1990 her tour was very innovative with all those stage transitions and all that have never been done.EVER.
                                              The show changed everything completely for Pop Live Shows. Even the Band is on moving platforms (as you can see on Holiday)..
                                              The number of things that go on stage (an altar,, a bed.... all the chairs on "Keep It Together").
                                              The stairs on central stage but later on stage sides... alll in the same stage during the same show.
                                              The number of elevators putting things on stage and taking them out.

It may seem something normal for you today but at the time 32 years ago none have ever done anything similar. All together was out of this world..

By 1990 the biggest stage productions ever remained Madonna own "Who's That Girl" and Michael Jacson "Bad Tour".

Before that 99% of pop and rock shows had stages similar to "Virgin Tour" (except for Bowie '87 SpidersTour and a couple more that were trying to make something more as well - but that's almost none else).

Comment

• None of that will make me like it anymore than I already do

Comment

• I wonder if it was Madonna that fixed Julia-Ye relationship
                                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Lately i stan so hard for The Girlie Show. No artist (dead or alive) can make a better show, the transition from Erotica to Fever is so iconic.
                                                    Havent I already stated that ??? Its the best show ever
                                                    Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X