Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shego View Post
    75M albums in 7 years + her best-selling album wasn't even released...
    Yes! This was before "I'm Breathless" and TIC

"Blond Ambition" also helped her sales as well for back catalogue. In Europe was broadcast live from "Barcelona" in August on most important channels at prime time in most countries. As it was before TIC people got her albums.

US got Nice concert but I think it was a bit later.
    Last edited by MadNuno; Thu January 20, 2022, 00:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

He only released 2 albums during the 80's: Madonna released 6 albums (including Who's That Girl OST).

"Thriller" sold 25 million during the 80's and "Bad" sold 15 million (all the rest was later).
      "Off the Wall" sold 20 million until today but by 1990 sales were still under 12 million so even if all his albums from Mottwon sold 10 million in told he is almost 15 million behind Madonna.

Sony actually confirmed his sales for the 1980s:

Off The Wall - 10.6m
      Thriller - 40.7m
      Bad - 22.5m
      With The Jacksons - 10.3m
      (Singles - 26.7m)

Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post

Sony actually confirmed his sales for the 1980s:

Off The Wall - 10.6m
        Thriller - 40.7m
        Bad - 22.5m
        With The Jacksons - 10.3m
        (Singles - 26.7m)

Thriller was at 25m and Bad at 15m WW

I read it not long ago from Sony in latest 1989 Billbboard Ad - not sure where you got those numbers from

Thriller was the best selling album of the 80's WW and at the time 25m of the same album in just 7 years was a record.

Last edited by MadNuno; Thu January 20, 2022, 01:09.

Comment

• I doubt the 50 #1s project will have a physical release in the USA.

People will not buy a 3cd release or 6 vinyl album release.

Unless it's some kind of deluxe boxset collector's edition.

I think she should be working on a LAP deluxe boxset.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebigham View Post
            I doubt the 50 #1s project will have a physical release in the USA.

People will not buy a 3cd release or 6 vinyl album release.

Unless it's some kind of deluxe boxset collector's edition.

I think she should be working on a LAP deluxe boxset.
            Probably will only have a deluxe physical release?
            Or remixes will be added to deluxe album editions?

Comment

• Madonna - TBA

2022 is set to be a big year for the Queen of Pop. Re-signing with her original record label Warner, Madonna is about to embark on a legacy-defining re-release structure of all her past albums with brand new deluxe editions. This might take her a while, however (Madonna has 14 albums to her name - 12 of them UK Number 1s) so there's no telling if she'll have the time to record a follow-up to 2019's Madame X yet.

Comment

• If every song gets a new remix, then I'll be happy no matter what format it's released in.

Comment

• I'm really happy that M has a friend like Debi Mazar. The way she handles questions about M is always nice and perfect. She's kind to M fans without giving away too much about M.
                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                    I'm really happy that M has a friend like Debi Mazar. The way she handles questions about M is always nice and perfect. She's kind to M fans without giving away too much about M.
                    I think it’s nice that she’s managed to keep a friend from her pre-fame days. I can’t imagine Madonna is easy to be friends with but they made it work. Though I’m pretty sure Madonna was miffed when Debbie called her out on Instagram

Comment

I think it’s nice that she’s managed to keep a friend from her pre-fame days. I can’t imagine Madonna is easy to be friends with but they made it work. Though I’m pretty sure Madonna was miffed when Debbie called her out on Instagram
                      She totally deserved it though. I still can't get over her video in the tub with rose petals.
                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I wonder if the re-issues will get new artwork? I’d love to see Madonna use the boxing photographs she took and intended to use on Hard Candy, for example. Erotica’s will be… interesting

Comment

• Not "Remix Revolution" tho

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

So according to this it looks like during the 80's alone she sold over 75 million albums WW (official info)!
                            Quite amazing (and more albums than Michael Jackson sold WW during the 80's - he sold around 60/62 million).
                            That’s nonsense

This 75 million should be records instead of albums
                            True blue sold 17 million by October 1990, which was her first Guinness record

Debut 8m
                            LAV 15m
                            TB 16m
                            YCD 5m
                            WTG 4m
                            LAP 10m

That’s only 58 million
                            Maybe she sold another 20 million singles

Comment

• Originally posted by britneyliam View Post

That’s nonsense

This 75 million should be records instead of albums
                              True blue sold 17 million by October 1990, which was her first Guinness record

Debut 8m
                              LAV 15m
                              TB 16m
                              YCD 5m
                              WTG 4m
                              LAP 10m

That’s only 58 million
                              Maybe she sold another 20 million singles
                              They say albums there... and if we were to include singles numbers had to be much bigger (wordlwide) as sales for US and UK alone would make more than those 20 million.

"True Blue" was on Guiness Book 1990 meaning it went to print in 1989 (am I wrong here... 1990 book or 1991 was on shops in October 1989 or 1990 already) to be released at same time worldwide so they checked the number probably even before "Like a Prayer" was released so I'm sure as this was way before the world became digital. Things took time (at least 2 months just for printing after final arts were approved) - making a book was still manually not on a computer yet (and if it was already in a computer was a very limited an slow one). But even pushing sales a bit up I don't get those 75 millions either. It gives me 65 million at most....

Debut 8m
                              LAV 17m
                              TB 19m
                              YCD 5m
                              WTG 5m
                              LAP 11m

May have they counted the 12" records like albums already at the time on the label? (as iTunes does today putting every maxi-single or EP on albums charts as well). She did have those "Prayer" mini-albums and those Japanese EPs. Could that be it?

Could it be 75 million records in US? It seems too much as well...
                              I hope they re-certifiy her soon... we may have bigger surprises than we imagine from non certified sales before soundscan (and probably even bigger in other countries).
                              Last edited by MadNuno; Fri January 21, 2022, 15:36.

Comment

• Stereogum's Number Ones column has now covered "This Used To Be My Playground": https://www.stereogum.com/2173474/th...e-number-ones/

Comment

• 5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by Mugen View Post
                                    Stereogum's Number Ones column has now covered "This Used To Be My Playground": https://www.stereogum.com/2173474/th...e-number-ones/
                                    I usually love his articles. He does say many truth things there (and lots of History as well) but giving the song 3/10 is a bit dramatic?

This time I disagree with much of what he says about the song.I love the song!
                                    I love the arragement and I love Madonna voice filled with emotions. It's one of the few Madonna songs that can make me cry!

The video is a rip off from Boy George, I know, but truth to tbe told almost none ever seen that Boy George video that played a couple of times when was released only while Madonna video became iconic during the 90's."This used..." was a huge airplay hit all over the world and when "Erotica" came out many people were disapointed that the song was not on the album.

"Barcelona Gold" album sold also sold a lot thanks to Madonna song too (they used to play her video to show that album on the charts most of the times - when there were TV Chart shows... not anymore). It certainly also helped "Something To Remember" to sell so much in mdi-90's (this album must be over 12 million copies already as was over 11 million by 1997 already according to Warner Music internal world charts for best selling albums for 1995 and 1996 alone - made it both years top 10 warner best selling global albums).

It's too bad that Madonna never did this song live and that the video was uploaded only in 2018 and with terrible quality. Still have less than 3 million views on YouTube.

Comment

• Take a Bow in HD looks amazing! I need to watch it on a bigger screen, but this looks like a true HD upload and not an upscale.

Comment

Take a Bow in HD looks amazing! I need to watch it on a bigger screen, but this looks like a true HD upload and not an upscale.
                                        It looks good indeed, but it's not real HD. They upscaled it to 4K for the first time, that must be the reason it looks better than the others.

Comment

• At the time I had never seen Boy George's Reborn. Seeing it now, it does look like This Used To Be My Playground (or the other way round).

I did think of Debbie Gibson's Out Of The Blue, although different, the photo album idea is here as well.

UKMIX Favourite Members 2021: RayRay being the first member to appear on 20 different voting lists!

Comment

• Originally posted by UnapologeticKenny View Post

It looks good indeed, but it's not real HD. They upscaled it to 4K for the first time, that must be the reason it looks better than the others.
                                            It looks like an AI upscale.and was stretched horizontally a little bit.
                                            I’ve compared with my DVD
                                            Last edited by britneyliam; Sat January 22, 2022, 03:26.

Comment

• This Used To Be My Playground is one of M top ballad. Always being one of my fave, I was in heaven when it reached #1 in Usa……. I loved to play the long version.
                                              Too bad it’s totally forgotten these days .

Comment

• Do you guys think that 1993/1994 is the beginning of the revolution in music production?

Her early 90s house beat or 80s dance pop sound a little bit out-dated,that’s so eighties just like new jack swing

But from the bedtime stories album all sounds fresh.

I really love Don’t stop, very catchy and the instrumental R&B groove sounds beautiful.

they should release it on radio right now!
                                                MadNuno once told me it was once a radio promo songs , love ya
                                                Last edited by britneyliam; Sat January 22, 2022, 17:07.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forreal View Post
                                                  This Used To Be My Playground is one of M top ballad. Always being one of my fave, I was in heaven when it reached #1 in Usa……. I loved to play the long version.
                                                  Too bad it’s totally forgotten these days .
                                                  How sadly it got little streams comparing to her other ballad hits

Comment

• Originally posted by britneyliam View Post
                                                    Do you guys think that 1993/1994 is the beginning of the revolution in music production?

Her early 90s house beat or 80s dance pop sound a little bit out-dated,that’s so eighties just like new jack swing

But from the bedtime stories album all sounds fresh.

I really love Don’t stop, very catchy and the instrumental R&B groove sounds beautiful.

they should release it on radio right now!
                                                    MadNuno once told me it was once a radio promo songs , love ya
                                                    "Justify My Love" doesn't sound dated to me... but it can be my hears

The "Erotica" beats in some songs do not sound dated at all and if you listen to "Erotica" remixes from 1992 half of them also don't sound dated.at all.

I think Madonna experimented much more during the 90's and so her 25 to 30 yo records don't sound as old as most of her previous ones. Not all songs aged so well. "Bedtime Stories" was an album with more R&B and that specific musical genre evolved very little during the past 30 years. Futuristic songs like "Bedtime Story" didn't evolved as well as others.

She was smart enough to have songs like "Promise to Try" or "Spanish Eyes" on "Like a Prayer" (accoustic classic ballads with piano or spanish guitar are always timeless).

Despite anything "Live To Tell" almost made it (but some part of the arrangement give the song away as too 80's).

"I'm Breathless" have most songs sounding like 1940's songs so most of them will never grow old either.

Her first album it's pure 80's dance but still most of the songs aged pretty well as there was an 80's revival during the 2010's.

Now we are starting to have a real 90's revival so let's see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X