No announcement yet.

Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like it, I don't love it but it's so good to see her on stage.

Comment

• I haven't watched the performance yet but based on comments i've read on internet, good luck booking & selling arenas for her next tour.
      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I really don't get what was supposed to be so bad about it, it looked and sounded fine, fun and just right...I even liked that she came in early - always helps to hear her live (obvs with backing track too)...

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post
          Well... Music was... something else ...
          I loved it it was very fun.
          DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
          98 - OUT

Comment

• Yall need to be realistic. She is older than 60 and had a hip replacement surgery. She will very likely never be able to move and perform like she could when she was 40-something and that's ok
            98 - OUT

Comment

• The Medellin arrangement was fabulous.
              And that's about it.
              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• I’m not really sure there was anything redeeming about that performance. Yes, Madonna is in her sixties and yes she has had a hip replacement, and no, she isn’t going to be able to perform like she did in her forties.

But I don’t think mobility is the problem: she’s stomping around, literally jumping on stage and swinging that chest like a pendulum. It’s the ‘stiffness’ as fans call it - the elegance of simple movement has gone. This isn’t a dancer who can no longer dance, it’s a performance from a dancer who looks like they’ve forgotten how to dance at all.

Madonna more or less keeps up with the backing dancers in this clip:

The problem is Madonna is going through the motions of the routine and it doesn’t look effortless. It’s possible her fitness levels haven’t returned to where we are used to them being or Madonna just isn’t interested in putting the work back into being the athlete she once was.

Part of me is starting to wonder if she’s experiencing arthritic problems. It would certainly explain the ‘clumsy’ movement and lack of elegance. Dancers are notorious for it and just look at what it’s done to poor Liza.

I refuse to believe Madonna can watch this back and think it’s good. Even if this is the best she can physically offer, it’s not working and she’ll see that - but there are ways around it (primarily with better choreography - the Medellin routine has never been brilliant).
                Never underestimate a droid.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                  Yall need to be realistic. She is older than 60 and had a hip replacement surgery. She will very likely never be able to move and perform like she could when she was 40-something and that's ok
                  imo it's not about her dancing abilities. I get that.
                  It's the energy she has and it's a bad one. She gets on stage and acts like your alcoholic aunt at your cousin's wedding.
                  She just looks plain ridiculous.
                  5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• I'm a huge fan of her, but this performance was not good. But let's not judge her future tour hastily, maybe yesterday Madonna had a drink or two backstage.
                    Christina Aguilera / ROSALÍA / Nathy Peluso

Comment

• Originally posted by maroon View Post
                      "I don't see any agressivity in my replies.
                      What's "agressivity"?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                        “Music” (song) was Madonna’s biggest hit song everywhere in the world since “Vogue” …. That says it all.

Case closed
                        Absolutely not. "Frozen" sold more copies in most territories, had better chart runs and has consistently been bigger over time years after its release, not to mention the impact it had.

You can all believe in what you want and name "Music" even Madonna's biggest career moment, you're free to think so but then again, streams and sales tell a completely different story. By looking at where "Music" ended up in the sales year end charts of 2000 country by country and comparing it to other Madonna's monster hits like HU in 2005 (released in October!), 4M in 2008, LAP in 1989 etc. there should be no surprise why weekly streams of "Music" place it as only Madonna's 15th biggest hit or so, that would be about right in terms of its actual popularity. It probably should have more than 55 million total but it is surely NOT in her Top 10 of biggest blockbusters (I actually wish it was, instead of the awful 4M for example) which is why the adjectives such as "enormous", "huge" etc. are exaggerated in my opinion.

Regarding the performance that I've just watched, it's not as terrible as I was expecting after reading the above comments but also nothing particularly interesting. I knew it wouldn't be anything special as she was just a guest there so would definitely not invest too much energy into that cameo appearance.

Comment

• Originally posted by oneofone View Post

What's "agressivity"?
                          https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...h%20Dictionary.

Comment

• Medellín was OK, it's not her show, not much time to rehearse, but I liked it. Music was a mess though
                            "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post

Music from the start
                              Madonna's Eurovision moment #2. She has become an embarrassment.

Comment

• I don't like to judge other people's choices, it's her body, her decision, but that gigantic butt... It doesn't fit her...
                                "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• The stiffness started on rebel heart tour and she moved okay on MX before the knee but there was little choreo on a small stage.

i wonder if the butt implants are messing her movement up? If so, a shame

Comment

• Originally posted by maroon View Post
                                    "Music" was a big global hit, no doubt, but not on par with her biggest classics, at least not in Europe so it's not so surprising to me that its streams have always been way lower than the ones of HU, LAP, LIB, Vogue, 4M or Frozen.
                                    "Music" was big enough to become the #01 BEST SELLING SINGLE of 2000 worldwide despite being released in August.
                                    "Frozen" was the 5th best selling single of 1998 despite being release in January!

Sure "Music" did better in some territories and "Frozen" better in others (in US Music sold over 1 million being #01 for 4 weeks while Frozen sold 500k peaking #02 for example). In US "Music" was even the #02 Dance Song of The DECADE on Billboard Decade End Issue!

"Music" was big enough to even be quoted by Eurovison 2019 presenter before Madonna go on stage, remember "Music makes the people come together"? The less generic lyric the song have.

Sure "Hung Up", "Like a Prayer" and "Vogue" may have been bigger hits but that's it (as it's hard to compete with those 3).
                                    All the other songs you mention were bigger hits in some territories and smaller in others. Even "Papa Don't Preach" was #01 best selling single in 1986 and despite having much better streams than "Music" isn't that amazing comparing.

It's not about how big the songs are in the year of release but how big the songs become decades later - and many, many things influence that.

"Music" was really huge in 2000 in most territories but despite being a very different song was also a Pop song with a very generic lyric (like "Holiday" or "Into The Groove" (and many others) and that's probably one of the main reasons the song isn't having the same level of streams as the other songs that have very different lyrics comparing.

Let's not forget how many songs were hits after "Music" saying for "DJ to play their song" (even JLo did one like that) showing how influential it was but also probably making the future of "Music" less promissing as future generations that find all those songs don't know what was bigger or first. 5 years after its release "Music" wasn't that different anymore as many other songs "borrowed" its style or lyrics.

Comment

• the thing is no one is expecting madonna to give a blonde ambition/ the girlie show/ confessions tour type of performance in 2022. she's 64 and that's ok.
                                      the problem is she looks like she doesn't want to be on stage like every move she makes hurts her body. she looks drunk and out of it. if she's not enjoying performing to an audience i guarantee you the audience won't like it either

a good performance doesn't have to have dance choreography in it to be good. i think she should do more acoustic guitar and piano performances as her voice sounds heavenly in those. and also just less dancing she could've stood in one spot and sang la isla bonita in a beautiful over the top outfit only moving to the groove a little and that would be much better than whatever she tries to do with her recent performances.

the audience doesn't care how much you rehearse or how good of a performer you used to be. they just wanna enjoy a performance from you. just don't embarrass yourself on stage.

it's time for her to take care of her body cause all of that plastic surgery and implants definitely have some sort of impact on this. i just feel very concerned for her health (physical and mental)
                                      Last edited by wowsignal14; Sun May 1, 2022, 11:23.

Comment

• The essays
                                        98 - OUT

Comment

• I think M is at a point where she doesn't listen to anyone anymore. No one can "advice" her to do something and if she ruins the remaining piece of her career, that will be on her. Of course no one can erase her legacy and her amazing discography, but i hate to see her being reduced to desperate old popstar trying to stay relevant by behaving appallingly and surrounding herself with people that will be a bad influence.
                                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post
                                            "Music" was big enough to become the #01 BEST SELLING SINGLE of 2000 worldwide despite being released in August.
                                            "Frozen" was the 5th best selling single of 1998 despite being release in January!
                                            What's your source? There's no chart that tracks worldwide sales of singles.
                                            "Music" might have been very big in the USA, I can give you that, but practically everywhere else "Frozen" was much bigger according to charts and sales so saying that "Music" was Madonna's biggest hit since "Vogue" EVERYWHERE is simply not true.

Comment

• Let's forget about this performance and listen to one of the best songs ever recorded.

On the one hand, I would like one of the songs on this album to go viral, and on the other hand, I'm glad to be in a niche and know this masterpiece.
                                              I'm pretentious af

Christina Aguilera / ROSALÍA / Nathy Peluso

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                                I think M is at a point where she doesn't listen to anyone anymore. No one can "advice" her to do something and if she ruins the remaining piece of her career, that will be on her. Of course no one can erase her legacy and her amazing discography, but i hate to see her being reduced to desperate old popstar trying to stay relevant by behaving appallingly and surrounding herself with people that will be a bad influence.
                                                Madonna never actually listened to anyone - she always followed her instincts. For example, Nile thought she was crazy releasing Like a Virgin over Material Girl as the lead single, but she went ahead and did it anyway. Same with SEX and Erotica - career suicide moves (and they almost were). The real problem is the people around her are either telling her that her shit smells of champagne rosé OR she still genuinely ignores everyone no matter what they say.

I’m all for Madonna doing what Madonna wants to do and I’ll never ever have a problem with that. If this is what we’ve got for the next twenty years then this is what we’ve got and I’ll have to deal with it. This isn’t an excuse, but I do wonder if nerves got to her, as it’s been a long time time since she performed for an audience of that size (ignoring occasions with viewers at home) - I don’t actually think she’s performed in a stadium since 2012.

MXT was an absolute thrill to see in person and honestly another artistic peak for her, but this performance is worse than the performance she gave with an actual physical injury. So something is clearly amiss and we just don’t have all of the information to know what.

There is one thing I’m sure of, and it’s that Madonna will watch this performance back and be faced with a harsh truth. Madonna isn’t stupid - she will recognise this isn’t a great moment for her. It’s what she does with that information that counts. I’m not too fussed about her styling because if you change it, the performance itself isn’t her best work. The real question is whether it’s the best she is able to offer? Based on MXT no, it’s not - and that’s where my disappointment , and hope, lies.
                                                Never underestimate a droid.

Comment

• On second thought the world at large didn’t seem to notice anything awry. They were blown away by her presence:

Front Page News!!

https://m.elcolombiano.com/cultura/m...sio-EA17352134

Con la reina

A las 12:42 llegó uno de los momentos más esperados por todos, la aparición de Madonna.

Vestida con un traje rojo y de trenzas en su cabello interpretaron “Medellín”, la canción que presentaron en 2019. Ese momento estuvo cargado de sensualidad, de insinuaciones mutuas que terminaron por encender la noche.

Para tristeza de muchos, la llamada “Reina del pop” solo cantó una canción más y se fue sin despedirse.

With the Queen @ 12:42 came one of the most anticipated moments for all, the appearance of Madonna. Dressed in a red suit and with braids in her hair, they performed "Medellín", the song they released in 2019. That moment was full of sensuality, of mutual innuendos that ended up lighting the night. To the sadness of many, the so-called "Queen of Pop" only sang one more song and left without saying goodbye.
                                                  My legacy is that I stayed on course… from the beginning to the end, because I believed in something inside of me. — Tina Turner

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post
                                                    I’m not really sure there was anything redeeming about that performance. Yes, Madonna is in her sixties and yes she has had a hip replacement, and no, she isn’t going to be able to perform like she did in her forties.

But I don’t think mobility is the problem: she’s stomping around, literally jumping on stage and swinging that chest like a pendulum. It’s the ‘stiffness’ as fans call it - the elegance of simple movement has gone. This isn’t a dancer who can no longer dance, it’s a performance from a dancer who looks like they’ve forgotten how to dance at all.

Madonna more or less keeps up with the backing dancers in this clip:

The problem is Madonna is going through the motions of the routine and it doesn’t look effortless. It’s possible her fitness levels haven’t returned to where we are used to them being or Madonna just isn’t interested in putting the work back into being the athlete she once was.

Part of me is starting to wonder if she’s experiencing arthritic problems. It would certainly explain the ‘clumsy’ movement and lack of elegance. Dancers are notorious for it and just look at what it’s done to poor Liza.

I refuse to believe Madonna can watch this back and think it’s good. Even if this is the best she can physically offer, it’s not working and she’ll see that - but there are ways around it (primarily with better choreography - the Medellin routine has never been brilliant).
                                                    ^^ this x 100
                                                    My legacy is that I stayed on course… from the beginning to the end, because I believed in something inside of me. — Tina Turner

Comment

Working...
                                                    X