No announcement yet.

Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If she had just gone up there and performed like she did the Music performances in 2000 or Ray of Light performances in 1998 it would've been fine. She didnt have choreography but she commanded the stage then and clearly was in the right state of mind. Last night she looked like she was just having fun but it came across messy.

Comment

• Timing release play an important role in what is the perception of a “Hit”

I mean, hadn’t “My Heart Will Go On”being released simoultaneously, Frozen would have achieved #1 peak in every corner of the world and being remembered as a much more huge of a hit than what actually is.

Damn Celine

Comment

• Originally posted by Angeman View Post
        If she had just gone up there and performed like she did the Music performances in 2000 or Ray of Light performances in 1998 it would've been fine. She didnt have choreography but she commanded the stage then and clearly was in the right state of mind. Last night she looked like she was just having fun but it came across messy.
        I don’t think it looked like she was having fun at all - during Medellin there’s quite a few moments where the stage smile drops.
        Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Yep … after “Vogue” what other real mammoth sized hit she had?

”Justify My Love” wasn’t bigger than “Music” in any sense … then “Take A Bow” was a mega smash but only in USA, seems to have done Ok-ish / moderately in other markets. “Frozen” might have indeed been her first global “Smash hit” since “Vogue” but then IMO it was surpassed and outdone by “Music”.

She had a couple more mega smashes after “Music” though (“Hung Up” and “4 Minutes”).
          JML was huge but it wasn’t Vogue/Music level and I agree her next big level mega smash was Hung Up (although radio in the US was ageist and it suffered a #7 peak on the Hot 100 but it was an international smash and global sensation setting Guinness Book World Records and 4 Minutes was right up there as well.

Personally Give It To Me is career highlight for me because I just loved the song and message but I can admit it wasn’t a game changer except for when she performed it on tour. The crowds went WWWILDDD.
          My legacy is that I stayed on course… from the beginning to the end, because I believed in something inside of me. — Tina Turner

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post

I don’t think it looked like she was having fun at all - during Medellin there’s quite a few moments where the stage smile drops.
            Yes I noticed that. It felt like she was going through the motions and just waiting to get it done with. Which makes me wonder why did she agree to do it in the first place…perhaps Maluma really wanted her there because she really (according to interviews) changed his life and gave him a different and more confident perspective. So he wanted to reward her in a sense but while she was recognized as the Queen of all Queens and Queen of Pop in the Columbian and other South and Central American sites, I don’t believe it’s going to impact streaming to the degree we were all hoping it would. But I can be wrong. Who knows Medellin and Music may start experiencing huge spikes this week. (Reluctantly to concede probably not).
            My legacy is that I stayed on course… from the beginning to the end, because I believed in something inside of me. — Tina Turner

Comment

• I just hope this performance doesn’t become mainstream news and talk of her performance gets out to the masses.

Comment

• It’s Madonna and it’s bound to be reported. I can see it now, Like A Virgin singer, Madonna, 63, joined Maluma in Columbia….and they will go into the garish details.

Comment

• Comments on YouTube are mostly positive based on what I can see. Lol

Comment

• Fun fact. I live in Medellin

I didn’t attend the concert because I don’t give a single d*mn about Maluma’s music, career or persona and I never knew Madonna was set to appear until like 2 days ago when tickets were sold out and re-sellers were exaggerating the prices a bit.

Anyways, that’s how insignificant Maluma is for me, not interested on his concert, however If they had announced Madonna was coming with anticipation I might have bought tickets and I would have endured 2 hours of torture just to see Madonna’s segment.

However based on what I saw she did last night, I don’t even care anymore. I have several friends who did attend Maluma’s concert and all of them are posting concert videos and stuff on their stories but not a single one of them have posted or mentioned something about Madonna. Seems like they didn’t give two sh*ts Madonna was there.
                    Last edited by MrLeonix; Sun May 1, 2022, 14:49.
                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by cindycgy View Post
                      It was EMBARRASSING and MESSY. She look fat and ugly. As a fan of almost 40 years, I was so embarrassed watching it. Bye
                      Bye...some of you really need to stop having this stuff bother you so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeph View Post
                        I’d have to agree with Nuno. In the US alone, Music was an out of the box smash and created an impact reminiscent of Vogue. Granted Ray of Light the album gave her back critical cred she kinda lost during the Erotica and Sex but Music just dominated the charts here and the dance floors and it was a mega hit. Frozen was huge too, but here in the US it didn’t harken back to her iconic stages. Frozen is a favorite and shines above Music lyrically but Music came in at the right time. The summer of 2000 and for an artist entering her third decade of doing what she does best and now she didn’t just turn 40 as with ROL, she was in her 40s, it was a big deal for her and artists alike. Again like I said, we are all entitled to our own opinions and there are facts to back up both sides. It boils down to where we were at the time and how it made you feel.
                        I think the issue is in extrapolating the USA to the whole world.
                        I've never lived there so am only talking from the perspective of a European who always loved "Music" and was closely following the charts back in 2000.
                        The song was all over the media/music channels here as well but my disappointment was quite big when in spite of the heavy rotation it missed on the number 1 spot in Germany on its debut week (something that "American Pie" managed to do with ease earlier that year) to some obscure Britney Spears track and then started falling quite rapidly compared to the exceptional tenure of "Frozen" and later on "Hung Up" or "4 Minutes". Similar scenarios could be observed in many other European countries as exemplified in the year end charts where it ended up usually outside of the Top 20, often even below the Top 40. It was a big hit for sure yet not one of 2000's top hits of the year nor anything similar to the force of the other 3 mentioned above. Also "Vogue" despite its iconic status was much smaller in Europe than "HU" for example so yeah, there are big regional variances.

I honestly believe that while the USA is indeed the biggest music market in terms of sales/revenue, sites like MediaTraffic overestimate its representation of the global market. The best proof for that can be the fact that now when we have streaming data from practically all over the world and streaming is free to anyone, "Music" has consistently been one of Madonna's 15-20 most popular songs globally but it's never in the Top 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by maroon View Post
                          I It was a big hit for sure yet not one of 2000's top hits of the year nor anything similar to the force of the other 3 mentioned above. Also "Vogue" despite its iconic status was much smaller in Europe than "HU" for example so yeah, there are big regional variances.

I have lived in Europe and the USA and I agree that huge US hits like Music, Vogue, and Take a Bow are not as big in Europe as La Isla Bonita, Frozen, or HU.

As much as I love Music (the album), I've never really liked Music (the song) that much.

The performance was messy, but at least she looked better than in her instagram pictures.
                          Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Originally posted by maroon View Post
                            it missed on the number 1 spot in Germany on its debut week (something that "American Pie" managed to do with ease earlier that year) to some obscure Britney Spears track
                            The obscure Britney track currently has 99,8 million streams on Spotify and will hit 100 million in 3 days.

Are you convinced now that “Music” (song) streams are nothing else than tragic? Or are you going to keep on justifying those streams?
                            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

There is one thing I’m sure of, and it’s that Madonna will watch this performance back and be faced with a harsh truth. Madonna isn’t stupid - she will recognise this isn’t a great moment for her. It’s what she does with that information that counts. I’m not too fussed about her styling because if you change it, the performance itself isn’t her best work. The real question is whether it’s the best she is able to offer? Based on MXT no, it’s not - and that’s where my disappointment , and hope, lies.
                              Will she though? Maybe she doesn't care about performing anymore.
                              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Can Germany be used as a prime example of a country to show which one of her songs were massive global hits or not ?
                                if I'm not mistaken, in spite of being the biggest international female artist there,she has only had 3 #1 singles on the german chart?
                                Ray Of Light was an absolutely blockbuster era in Germany,still she never topped the singles chart at the time there either.
                                So,imo, Germany is not a parameter on that department at all.
                                Some said context of the time a song was originally released should be used to detemine how big it really was is.
                                Music came out when teenagers were rulling the world with bubbe gum pop.
                                Madonna was coming back to the spotlight in this context with a song produced by a relativey unknown and highly experimental French producer.
                                She was 42 ,had just given birth to her second child and was getting married in a castle in Scotland.
                                So,the opposite of what was popular regardless of where you lived.
                                The video was filmed while she was pregnant and tried to hide her pregnancy while still trying to show she was cool enough to have a girls night out and party hard in a strip club.
                                So, also given this context, I stand by the opinion that Music was enormously huge.
                                Her biggest since Vogue? Don't know. But definitely up there with her biggest hits ever.
                                Last edited by BodyShop; Sun May 1, 2022, 15:57.

Comment

• Probably in her mind she thinks she slayed and was a badass.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

I think this may be the case.

Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                    Probably in her mind she thinks she slayed and was a badass.
                                    Maybe this too

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post

It was only a few weeks ago she wanted to do a stadium tour with Britney.
                                      Straight white men rule everything around me

Comment

• Btw, Manic Street Preachers teased the studio version of Borderline cover and it sounds amazing. Can't wait to hear it in full.
                                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

It was only a few weeks ago she wanted to do a stadium tour with Britney.
                                          That was probably a joke
                                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                            The obscure Britney track currently has 99,8 million streams on Spotify and will hit 100 million in 3 days.

Are you convinced now that “Music” (song) streams are nothing else than tragic? Or are you going to keep on justifying those streams?
                                            I never said Music's streams were great but they're far from "tragic".
                                            Gambler's YouTube stats (only 1,5 million views) might be tragically low considering it was a Top 10 hit in many European countries, sold roughly 300K copies in the UK and is unavailable for streaming but Music to me is just low. Around 150 million would be a more representative total of its success in my opinion.

Comment

• I do not want to see her touring in this condition.

I wasn't able to see MX live but the DVD did her movement a lot of justice IMO. She wasn't moving crazy but she had that Madonna elegance on stage. Smooth. Smoother than RH tbh. The smaller stage may have helped. I get that tour was now over two years old so her health and condition would have changed a lot but ....

We are so used to a standard and honestly, this falls so short.
                                              So did Eurovision, though that was a lot better than this by comparison.

Comment

• Looking at the top 20 Billboard Hot 100 year end chart, Music is tragic especially for a song that did better worldwide then a lot of those songs. Spotify wise it should have at least 150 million to be comparable to the rest of the songs. Youtube wise well its views are indeed tragic but ive always hated the music video and it has too many breaks in the song.

Comment

• Madonna doesn’t need complicated routines and choreographies to shine … she just needs to recover that smooth, gracious and elegant presence she used to have on stage.

I remember acts like Cher or Tina Turner looking absolutely stunning on stage in their 60s. They retained that superstar grace and confident stage presence.

Madonna just needs to focus on her stage presence and 80% of the effectiveness of her performances will be restored.

Comment

• Also, simple choreo to a lot of her songs would be so cool. Little moments in sync with back up dancers and boom. Go for visual impact rather than athleticism.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X