Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post
    Can Germany be used as a prime example of a country to show which one of her songs were massive global hits or not ?
    No but it's the biggest market in Europe alongside the UK and Europe as a whole is a bigger market than the USA. You must have missed my part saying that "Similar scenarios could be observed in many other European countries as exemplified in the year end charts where it ended up usually outside of the Top 20, often even below the Top 40."

Originally posted by BodyShop View Post
    Some said context of the time a song was originally released should be used to detemine how big it really was is.
    Music came out when teenagers were rulling the world with bubbe gum pop.
    Madonna was coming back to the spotlight in this context with a song produced by a relativey unknown and highly experimental French producer.
    She was 42 ,had just given birth to her second child and was getting married in a castle in Scotland.
    So,the opposite of what was popular regardless of where you lived.
    The video was filmed while she was pregnant and tried to hide her pregnancy while still trying to show she was cool enough to have a girls night out and party hard in a strip club.
    So, also given this context, I stand by the opinion that Music was enormously huge.
    Her biggest since Vogue? Don't know. But definitely up there with her biggest hits ever.
    I get your point but Cher's "Believe" had no music video when it came out, she was in her 50's and yet managed to pull off not only the biggest hit of her career but also one of the biggest sellers of the decade so the context in which teenagers were listening to bubble gum pop doesn't mean to me like they wouldn't care about older acts and pregnancy is completely irrelevant. Ultimately, as I initially wrote, everyone has his own memories and it's completely fine to rank any song as one of the biggest successes but I'll always prefer the data related to sales/streams when talking about popularity and these clearly show that "Music" is NOT among Madonna's 10 most famous songs.

Comment

• Music is definitely amongst her top ten biggest hits.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDNHAY View Post
        Music is definitely amongst her top ten biggest hits.
        Based on what?
        Why don't its weekly/monthly/yearly streams reflect it then?

Comment

• Because it hasn't translated to streaming? She has so many hits there was always going to a few career-defining songs that will get overlooked in comparison to others, in the transition to streaming. It is what it is, it doesn't take away from the success of the song.

Comment

• IMO her 10 biggest global hit songs are:

Chronological order

- Like A Virgin
            - Material Girl
            - Into The Groove
            - Papa Don’t Preach
            - La Isla Bonita
            - Like A Prayer
            - Vogue
            - Music
            - Hung Up
            - 4 Minutes

…..

Not all of them translated gracefully into the streaming platforms though. But back when they were released they were smashes.
            Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
            Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Agreed with the above.
              Then you have her second hit tier list which is HUGE

Comment

• Originally posted by maroon View Post
                No but it's the biggest market in Europe alongside the UK and Europe as a whole is a bigger market than the USA. You must have missed my part saying that "Similar scenarios could be observed in many other European countries as exemplified in the year end charts where it ended up usually outside of the Top 20, often even below the Top 40."

I get your point but Cher's "Believe" had no music video when it came out, she was in her 50's and yet managed to pull off not only the biggest hit of her career but also one of the biggest sellers of the decade so the context in which teenagers were listening to bubble gum pop doesn't mean to me like they wouldn't care about older acts and pregnancy is completely irrelevant. Ultimately, as I initially wrote, everyone has his own memories and it's completely fine to rank any song as one of the biggest successes but I'll always prefer the data related to sales/streams when talking about popularity and these clearly show that "Music" is NOT among Madonna's 10 most famous songs.
                I swear I wrote a looooong ass reply but nevermind it's your opinion, ok.
                For me,Music easily ranks within her top 10 hits ever.
                Let's agree to disagree then .

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Well when you see the way she struggled to get back up off the floor at 1.29 you can clearly see that she has some issues with movement.
                  An olympic weightlifting front squater half her age would struggle to lift half a tonne of those butt implants off the the floor let alone a 64 year old frail woman, so nobody should be surprised by her "movement".
                  ​​Let's be honest, last night's type of performance does not suit Madonna anymore (to put it mildly) and unless she goes through a dramatic artistic reinvention she won't ever have a truly successful concert tour. As things stand, I personally have no intetnion of seeing her in concert ever again. In fact, I don't even want to hear about her performing in the future as watching her trash what's left of her flagging career is a pretty traumatic experience.

Comment

• I don't think last night was that bad, but I do think that she is not on par with her legacy anymore. From the great years, stating with like a virgin to justify my love, then from frozen to die another day and finally from hang up to the Superbowl, she was always on the top, great songs, great performances, great looks, great moments.

The last decade has been a mess. Some nice songs, some nice looks, some nice performances, never a number one day, lots of mistakes and fails. Even when she tries, but of course, most of the times she doesn't.

Her career has dozens of missed opportunities, promise to try, sky fits heaven, impressive instant, devil wouldn't recognize you, some of her great songs were not even on albums, like triggering or across the sky.

But, for real, the last decade it is like she choose to be bad, like give me all your love instead of the great moment that was meant to be gang bang with a huge mv or the original rebel hart or a polemic video for devil pray instead of the boring living for love. It is not just about having hits, it about being cool. I really
                    miss her.

I don't believe anymore she will ever come back, i could even see some chances to have organic success, like touring with Britney and having the billion dollar tour, make an album with the weeknd or new versions of old songs and albums with hot features. But is not the way she acts. Madonna just doesn't want to.

Now Madonna only wants to fight with her age. Keeps posting fake pictures online when she is looking bad most of the time with all those interventions. She destroyed her star power in the process. What a shame! The last nice moment from her was ghost town. Here in Brazil, I believe the last single that had an impact was girl gone wild. (faz gostoso was a missed opportunity, as always, even if i don't like the song)

About music, I do think it was a monster global hit, even if now it is forgotten among its peers, just like papa don't preach against into the groove, like a virgin, material girl and like a prayer. I blame it on the rushed album campaign, all about that era could have been classic, with lots of singles, looks and promo, but died on the third single.

Music is awesome as a song, those were the days. I remember it when I was like nine. I found her limo shots very cool end erotic. Also, the sound aged really well, one of the reasons she was the queen of pop. I do see it as the hit of the year.
                    libertarian!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Yep … after “Vogue” what other real mammoth sized hit she had?

”Justify My Love” wasn’t bigger than “Music” in any sense … then “Take A Bow” was a mega smash but only in USA, seems to have done Ok-ish / moderately in other markets. “Frozen” might have indeed been her first global “Smash hit” since “Vogue” but then IMO it was surpassed and outdone by “Music”.

She had a couple more mega smashes after “Music” though (“Hung Up” and “4 Minutes”).

People often forget that "Take a Bow" was #01 on Billboard HOT 100 based on 9 weeks at #01 on the Airplay chart - it peaked #04 on Single Sales Charts (still ended up being gold selling over 500k like "Frozen").

https://www.billboard.com/artist/mad...t-history/hsb/

Music, Hung Up and 4 Minutes were all #01 on sales (Hung Up and 4 Minutes were also #01 on Downloads/Digital Song Sales that was created in late 2004).

If I'm not mistaken "Frozen" peaked #02 on single sales.

Music not only peaked #01 on sales (selling over 1 million physical singles) but also had the best selling maxi single of the 00's decade as well in US.

Comment

• What's wrong with her??? Her unglamorized hair ??? She's looked great on her straight hair recently but why this mess again specifically on stage? She needs to fire herself to keep that hair persistently.
                        and it seems that it's hard for her to even walk because her inflated butt weights too heavy. Oh lord. She needs to sort things up.
                        I feel like i saw a snl costume comedy not a performance.
                        Last edited by autumnwind; Sun May 1, 2022, 18:54.
                        Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• Originally posted by autumnwind View Post
                          What's wrong with her??? Her unglamorized hair ??? She's looked great on her straight hair recently but why this mess again specifically on stage? She needs to fire herself to keep that hair persistently.
                          and it seems that it's hard for her to even walk because her inflated butt weights too heavy. Oh lord. She needs to sort things up.
                          I feel like i saw a snl costume comedy not a performance.
                          How i wish the hair was the main of our concerns there

Comment

• Originally posted by maroon View Post
                            I think the issue is in extrapolating the USA to the whole world.
                            I've never lived there so am only talking from the perspective of a European who always loved "Music" and was closely following the charts back in 2000.
                            The song was all over the media/music channels here as well but my disappointment was quite big when in spite of the heavy rotation it missed on the number 1 spot in Germany on its debut week (something that "American Pie" managed to do with ease earlier that year) to some obscure Britney Spears track and then started falling quite rapidly compared to the exceptional tenure of "Frozen" and later on "Hung Up" or "4 Minutes". Similar scenarios could be observed in many other European countries as exemplified in the year end charts where it ended up usually outside of the Top 20, often even below the Top 40. It was a big hit for sure yet not one of 2000's top hits of the year nor anything similar to the force of the other 3 mentioned above. Also "Vogue" despite its iconic status was much smaller in Europe than "HU" for example so yeah, there are big regional variances.

I honestly believe that while the USA is indeed the biggest music market in terms of sales/revenue, sites like MediaTraffic overestimate its representation of the global market. The best proof for that can be the fact that now when we have streaming data from practically all over the world and streaming is free to anyone, "Music" has consistently been one of Madonna's 15-20 most popular songs globally but it's never in the Top 10.
                            Let's not look to each European country or every US State. Look at Europe and US as 2 big markets:

"Music" was #01 on European Hot 100 for 6 weeks. Europe have over 20 countries (#15 on European Hot 100 Year End)

Sure "American Pie" was bigger Hit in Europe being #01 for 7 weeks also during 2000 (#11 on European Hot 100 Year End).

"Hung Up" is Madonna biggest hit in Europe (it was 11 weeks at #01) so no point comparing it to any other Madonna song - despite being released in October was #02 on European Hot 100 Year End Chart.

"4 Minutes" was #01 in Europe (not sure how many weeks but it was #05 on European Hot 100 Year End Chart)

"Music" was #01 on US Hot 100 for 4 weeks (less than in Europe - #17 on Hot 100 Year End Chart).
                            "American Pie" in US was not even a TOP 20 Hit as it was not commercially released and HOT 100 placement was based on airplay only.

The World is a big place. In Australia "Music" was #04 on Year End Chart but even reached #01 Year End Song in Spain and Portugal (and that's still in Europe too!)

As I live in Portugal of course I feel that "Music" was a Huge Hit - it really was where I live (and it's Europe too not US).
                            Last edited by MadNuno; Sun May 1, 2022, 19:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by oneofone View Post

An olympic weightlifting front squater half her age would struggle to lift half a tonne of those butt implants off the the floor let alone a 64 year old frail woman, so nobody should be surprised by her "movement".
                              ​​Let's be honest, last night's type of performance does not suit Madonna anymore (to put it mildly) and unless she goes through a dramatic artistic reinvention she won't ever have a truly successful concert tour. As things stand, I personally have no intetnion of seeing her in concert ever again. In fact, I don't even want to hear about her performing in the future as watching her trash what's left of her flagging career is a pretty traumatic experience.
                              Guess you should avoid this thread then.
                              " And i think you should take a second just to look at your reflection
                              Baby maybe you're the problem "

Comment

• I just don't get her sudden obssesions about humongous butts in her 60s. Maybe because of her fired bf's influence???
                                she used to be never that way.
                                lean and thin, slender and muscular gorgeous.
                                a perfect dancer and athletic body.

But why changes in her 60s?
                                When It's time that people around her age generally worry about their joints and muscle pain.
                                ah she is Madonna. That's why.
                                I mean it's really serious a problem that her monstrous and angry butts interfere and prevent her flexible move more than ever before.
                                her movement is not natural at all. I think she had her knee problem and got injured because she added too much weight in the back of butt through uncomfortable movement and situation suddenly.

I hope she needs to calm it down.
                                Last edited by autumnwind; Sun May 1, 2022, 19:26.
                                Madonna is the queen of pop and the biggest selling female music artist of all time!

Comment

• Originally posted by oneofone View Post

You went too further
                                  Last edited by autumnwind; Sun May 1, 2022, 19:27.

Comment

• Here is the preview of Manic Street Preacher studio cover of "Borderline"

A few months ago they did the Madonna cover live on BBC but it seems they recorded for their new album or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post
                                      Here is the preview of Manic Street Preacher studio cover of "Borderline"

A few months ago they did the Madonna cover live on BBC but it seems they recorded for their new album or something.

Cool

Comment

• Do you guys think Madonna will watch that performance back and see her mistakes? Maybe the Madonna of 2022 would think she slayed that performance?
                                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• OMG honestly some of you it wasn't that bad...

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                            Do you guys think Madonna will watch that performance back and see her mistakes? Maybe the Madonna of 2022 would think she slayed that performance?
                                            I think she does

Comment

• Well pics look way better than watching videos. Tricks and Truth behind it.

Comment

• BTW she's on the verge of breaking over 18 million followers on instagram. she's gained quite some since she announced the medellin performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post
                                                  Let's not look to each European country or every US State. Look at Europe and US as 2 big markets:

"Music" was #01 on European Hot 100 for 6 weeks. Europe have over 20 countries (#15 on European Hot 100 Year End)

Sure "American Pie" was bigger Hit in Europe being #01 for 7 weeks also during 2000 (#11 on European Hot 100 Year End).
                                                  The problem with this approach is that Eurochart was a Billboard based fake chart with a points system that covered only a little more than half of European countries (so a number 1 in the UK will always get the same number of points, each week even though some of those singles might have sold 25K copies and some others 250K copies but will be treated the same so it's totally rubbish) and the Billboard Hot 100 incorporated airplay so was also hardly the best reference but even with this comparison "Frozen" was at #5 for 1998 - much higher than "Music" in 2000. All in all, until we see the real sales numbers of all her singles, there will be no consensus here, I'm afraid.

For me the 10 biggest Madonna's hits would be (in order of appearance):

Holiday / Crazy For You / Material Girl (at #10, hard to tell which one should take that spot)
                                                  Like A Virgin
                                                  Into The Groove
                                                  Papa Don't Preach
                                                  La Isla Bonita
                                                  Like A Prayer
                                                  Vogue
                                                  Frozen
                                                  Hung Up
                                                  4 Minutes

Comment

• It's quite interesting that the comments on Madonna's insta post and the videos I've seen on YouTube seem to be mostly positive...like 98% mostly too... it does just seem to be a vocal small amount of people saying negative things...I've noticed this same trend in other fandoms recently too...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X