Madonna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Forreal View Post
    I guess only who didn’t live the 80’s can’t fully appreciate the WTG tour, that tour was-is so ICONIC, it embraced and screamed 80’s vibe from every pore, it was pure Madonna.
    This argument makes no sense. I have eyes, I’ve watched it. Being alive at the time only means you have an emotional attachment to it - if anything, it means your judgement is influenced by that.

In a long list of iconic Madonna moments, WTGT wouldn’t make the list.
    I have a bad feeling about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post

In a long list of iconic Madonna moments, WTGT wouldn’t make the list.
      This just show your ignorance!!

Comment

And you, your rudeness

Comment

Do you even know what does the word iconic mean?
          Whenever fans or the media refer to Madonna's career ,citing its iconic moments, what they represent and why, how many times do you see the who's that girl tour listed?
          That gives an idea of how 'iconic' it is.
          I love the MDNA Tour ,does it make it an iconic tour? No. Same for Drowned World ,that wipes the floor with WTG and was Madonna's first show in 8 years but still not iconic by any means.
          Well, maybe to some individuals but not overall in the great scheme of a career filled with real iconic moments.
          If you really wanna talk about her trully iconic tours, check Blond Ambition or the Confessions Tour.
          Not everything an artist does has to be great or iconic ,especially an artist like Madonna.
          But the worst thing of all this is to force an opinion on others. I do think Who's That Girl is plain bad overall. So what? Am I ignorant because of this?
          I think it's boring and not good overall and I don't need to put it in the context of the 80s to have an opinion about it. The same way I don't need to put Blond Ambition in the context of its time to think it's one of the best shows ever created by anyone. EVER.
          Things are what they are,period.
          Last edited by BodyShop; Thu July 7, 2022, 13:41.

Comment

• Madonna during the WTGWT was at her alltime peak: fame, iconicity, stardom, I can’t even find words to explain, she was like a God , and universally loved, you saw no boundaries, staight man and girls, not to mention gay community of course, they were all mad for her, she was the IT thing. It was with the Blond Ambition that she started losing appeal tothe straigh community eyes, , not saying she lost it completely, but something definitely changed, even if in the slightest, but it changed ( she recovered i the mid-late 90’s tough)

Try to overlook and downgrade the iconicity and importance of such crucial and important years in her career or presume to know it all about it, just because u saw a recorded show or listen to a record 2 or 3 decades later, is just plain ridicoulous, and should just belong to personal taste!!
            Last edited by Forreal; Thu July 7, 2022, 13:58.

Comment

• BodyShop u totally missed my point…..If I had to rank M tour, WTG is far from my top 5 either, again my point was another
              but my bad, I guess It’s me who couldn’t express properly , I m not good at all with English language!!
              Last edited by Forreal; Thu July 7, 2022, 13:46.

Comment

Madonna between during the WTGWT was at her alltime peak: fame, iconicity, stardom, I can’t even find words to explain, she was like a God , and universally loved, you saw no boundaries, staight man and girls, not to mention gay community of course, they were all mad for her, she was the IT thing. It was with the Blond Ambition that she started losing appeal tothe straigh community eyes, , not saying she lost it completely, but something definitely changed, even if in the slightest, but it changed ( she recovered i the mid-late 90’s tough)

Try to overlook and downgrade the iconicity and importance of such crucial and important years in her career or presume to know it all about it, just because u saw a recorded show or listen to a record 2 or 3 decades later, is just plain ridicoulous, and should just belong to personal taste!!
                all that and still a boring show ... a shame

Comment

BodyShop u totally missed my point…..If I had to rank M tour, WTG is far from my top 5 either, again my point was another
                  but my bad, I guess It’s me who couldn’t express properly , I m not good at all with English language!!
                  I think we missed each other's points then.
                  I'm not here to diminish WTG's importance as a tour in Madonna's career.
                  I just don't like it but it's a personal opinion,like everything I write here.
                  I don't think it's iconic either,especially when you compare it to so many other tours and moments in such a unique and filled with iconic moments like Madonna's career is.
                  I think The Virgin Tour, that was a local show is much more remembered and iconic than WTG,for example.
                  But it's ok Let's agree to disagree and move on
                  Last edited by BodyShop; Thu July 7, 2022, 14:07.

Comment

• Felt like doing it, so thought why not

Confessions on a Dance Floor:

01 Hung Up
                    02 Future Lovers
                    03 Like It or Not
                    04 Isaac
                    05 Get Together
                    06 Sorry
                    07 Jump
                    08 Let It Will Be
                    09 I Love New York
                    10 Forbidden Love
                    11 History
                    12 How High
                    13 Super Pop
                    14 Fighting Spirit
                    15 Push

Comment

• her worst tour imo is Madame X, the mixes sound bad + most of the set list bored me to death and Madonna just looks tired throughout the show. the stage might be cool but that's it really. I didn't even enjoy the Like a Prayer performance which says a lot since i always enjoy that song in Madonna concerts.

Comment

• what performance do you guys think should be a must included performance in her biopic. (other than lav 1984 we know that one will obviously be there)

personally i would sell a kidney for them to include the Oscars performance of Sooner or Later (with the exact same madonna audio just remastered)

i think it's her best award show performance by far the stage presence and her voice were at an all time high

Comment

• Originally posted by wowsignal14 View Post
                          her worst tour imo is Madame X, the mixes sound bad + most of the set list bored me to death and Madonna just looks tired throughout the show. the stage might be cool but that's it really. I didn't even enjoy the Like a Prayer performance which says a lot since i always enjoy that song in Madonna concerts.
                          She wasn’t tired, she was in severe pain. Madame X is a great show - not her best, but I think you only really get something out of it if you loved the album. Otherwise, there wasn’t a huge amount left over to enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by wowsignal14 View Post
                            what performance do you guys think should be a must included performance in her biopic. (other than lav 1984 we know that one will obviously be there)

personally i would sell a kidney for them to include the Oscars performance of Sooner or Later (with the exact same madonna audio just remastered)

i think it's her best award show performance by far the stage presence and her voice were at an all time high
                            We already know the script features pre-Madonna performances, from pages she posted to Instagram. But career wise:

Holiday - Solid Gold
                            Like a Virgin - VMAs
                            Vogue - BAT
                            Music - DWT
                            Hung Up - EMAs

Comment

I guess only who didn’t live the 80’s can’t fully appreciate the WTG tour, that tour was-is so ICONIC, it embraced and screamed 80’s vibe from every pore, it was pure Madonna.

Yes she went more elaborated and theatrical with blond ambition, but that doesn’t take away a inch to WTGT greatness.

In term of iconicity she repeated herself only with The Confession Tour ( with BAT being a closer contender)

Her worst tour remains for me Rebel Heart

And a special note goes to Drowned World, being her most underrated ones!!

That being said, Tour wise she really raised the standard, and HAS NO equals!!
                              I totally agree with you, although in retrospect, technically and visually not being one of the best, it was definitely something totally different from other pop/rock shows at that time. A glimpse of what was coming. And a tour made only of super hits by a super star.
                              Só yes, you'd have to have lived it to fully appreciate it, besides having eyes . Till now, it's one of my favorite tours ever.
                              "Complaining is an advertisement for stupidity"

Comment

• Originally posted by BodyShop View Post

Do you even know what does the word iconic mean?
                                Whenever fans or the media refer to Madonna's career ,citing its iconic moments, what they represent and why, how many times do you see the who's that girl tour listed?
                                That gives an idea of how 'iconic' it is.
                                I love the MDNA Tour ,does it make it an iconic tour? No. Same for Drowned World ,that wipes the floor with WTG and was Madonna's first show in 8 years but still not iconic by any means.
                                Well, maybe to some individuals but not overall in the great scheme of a career filled with real iconic moments.
                                If you really wanna talk about her trully iconic tours, check Blond Ambition or the Confessions Tour.
                                Not everything an artist does has to be great or iconic ,especially an artist like Madonna.
                                But the worst thing of all this is to force an opinion on others. I do think Who's That Girl is plain bad overall. So what? Am I ignorant because of this?
                                I think it's boring and not good overall and I don't need to put it in the context of the 80s to have an opinion about it. The same way I don't need to put Blond Ambition in the context of its time to think it's one of the best shows ever created by anyone. EVER.
                                Things are what they are,period.
                                Maybe the WTGT isn't listed, because it's stuck between the first she ever did and the one that changed it all. But go read what was said at the time about the tour.

Comment

• It doesn’t matter what was said about the tour at the time - that’s inconsequential when judging the tour on its own merits. I was too busy learning my ABCs in 1993 but that doesn’t mean thirty years later I can’t recognise the genius of TGS.

If reviews dictate how we are supposed to think about a Madonna show, Madame X is the most critically acclaimed show of her career - is it anyones #1 Madonna concert?

WTG isn’t genius. It’s a pop concert from a pop star. Nothing more, nothing less - and that’s okay.

Comment

• It was genius at that time. You grew up watching tours that tried to emulate the BA that already at set the bar very high. I grew up watching tours before the WTGT, so when I saw it, I realized that it was something hugely different from a regular pop concert. So yes, you had to have lived through those times, to really appreciate it. And not look at it with the eyes of someone who has only seen, what's considered the modern pop concerts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artoo View Post

We already know the script features pre-Madonna performances, from pages she posted to Instagram. But career wise:

Holiday - Solid Gold
                                      Like a Virgin - VMAs
                                      Vogue - BAT
                                      Music - DWT
                                      Hung Up - EMAs
                                      Ins't the biopic ending in 1996 with Evita?

Comment

• Confessions on a Dance Floor:

01 Sorry
                                        02 Forbidden Love
                                        03 Push
                                        04 Isaac
                                        05 Jump
                                        06 Like It or Not
                                        07 Super Pop
                                        08 How High
                                        09 Let It Will Be
                                        10 History
                                        11 Fighting Spirit
                                        12 Get Together
                                        13 I Love New York
                                        14 Future Lovers
                                        15 Hung Up

I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Originally posted by MadNuno View Post

Ins't the biopic ending in 1996 with Evita?
                                          No one knows.

Comment

• WTG was a great show, at the time it was truly fantastic, miles away from what the usual concert experience at the time was, which was the singer just standing for the most part doing just that and not much else, at best moving around from one side of the stage to the other and at worst just sitting center stage on a stool. Maybe a band or a few musicians in the back, oh and no interesting costume changes -maybe someone took their jacket off at one point- , and no stage set changes either.

In that sense rock shows were a little more engaging, but maybe because they were a little louder , but most of them certainly didn't offer the theatrical experience Madonna gave Us (that she made better with Blond AmbitionT).

The only other artist doing that was MJ, but right after WTG T ended on his Bad Tour (which took some notes from the WTG Tour imho). Tina was entertaining as hell too, but the show itself wasn't as varied as M's (or MJ's), oh another one that was fun was the Jackson 5's Victory tour a few years before, still felt somewhat tame and "small" compared to WTGT.

So yeah, it wasn't "boring" at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlphaMale View Post
                                              It was genius at that time. You grew up watching tours that tried to emulate the BA that already at set the bar very high. I grew up watching tours before the WTGT, so when I saw it, I realized that it was something hugely different from a regular pop concert. So yes, you had to have lived through those times, to really appreciate it. And not look at it with the eyes of someone who has only seen, what's considered the modern pop concerts.
                                              I’m sorry but this ‘I lived through it and therefore only I am right’ is utter rubbish. If I said it was an amazing show you’d not question my opinion - you wouldn’t care how old I am or if I had seen it in person.

What you’re doing is trying to discredit opinions by pulling rank, telling us we don’t know how to evaluate something correctly and using it to undermine because of one simple fact: you disagree.

It’s okay go disagree. Opinions are all we have on a discussion board. But no one owns the truth.

Comment

• Yes, I am saying you can't evaluate something correctly and I am saying why you can't. It's not about you liking it or not.

Comment

It was genius at that time. You grew up watching tours that tried to emulate the BA that already at set the bar very high. I grew up watching tours before the WTGT, so when I saw it, I realized that it was something hugely different from a regular pop concert. So yes, you had to have lived through those times, to really appreciate it. And not look at it with the eyes of someone who has only seen, what's considered the modern pop concerts.
                                                  So, in order to dislike something you need to have lived that experience in full when that said thing was released,otherwise your opinion is invalid? Interesting.
                                                  Like i said,I love Blond Ambition and The Virgin Tour and they're not "modern concert tours" .
                                                  In my opinion,and it's not better or worse than anyone else's, Who's That Girl is a boring show,period.
                                                  I don't care if when it came out it was considered a masterpiece,if she was sat at the top of the world or was so powerful that you couldn't escape her presence. None of those things affects my opinion that Madonna had a better show before with The Virgin Tour and several others after.
                                                  And regardless of what was said 'back then' it doesn't rank among her most iconic concerts when you look back at all of them.

Comment

Yes, I am saying you can't evaluate something correctly and I am saying why you can't. It's not about you liking it or not.
                                                    This is one of the most absurd things I have ever read on this forum.
                                                    Imagine all the Gen z people who listened to Frozen remix ,loved it and turned it into a streaming hit.
                                                    So,if they didnt like it,their opinion would be invalid cause in 1998 they were not born and didnt experience ray of light in full?
                                                    I swear I'm especially at the bolded sentence

Comment

Working...
                                                    X