X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CasualFlow
    replied
    Originally posted by CantLetGo
    I'm definitely a Memoirs stan. I stan for e=MC2 tracks but not the album as a whole.

When I first heard Memoirs I felt like i was listening to the album Mariah's always wanted to make.
    WOW! You and I see eye to eye! I think you're right about it being an album Mariah always wanted to make, and maybe after her huge comeback and an 18th #1 she felt the freedom to do that. I think sonically MOAIA is her most consistent album. I think The Dream, as a lone producer along with MC, helped achieve that, even if we didn't get the diversity of sound we are used to with Mariah. For me, it was a welcome reprieve. I listen to the album often, usually at night, its so mello.

I was talking a couple days ago about me favorite three song stretch on any album being Long Ago, Melt Away, Forever from Daydream, but a strong contender for second place would be HATEU, Candy Bling, Ribbon. Love to listen to those together, they are almost hypnotic. I've noticed that Ribbon is often derided but I love it. Its among my top 5 favorite Mariah songs. The first time I listened to it, having put the kids to bed and kissed the wife goodnight, I put on the earphones and listening to the album in the dark, my toes curled when Ribbon started. For me 'toes curling' is as good as it gets - Joygasmic!!

Leave a comment:

• CantLetGo
    replied
    thanks Jason. that really clears it up for me.

Leave a comment:

• CasualFlow
    replied
    Originally posted by mimifan09
    It can be understood in whatever way people want to interpret something. But it was confirmed by Liron that Randy Jackson had not produced anything and she had 7 songs done.

Cox's comment had nothing to do with Mariah. That was more speculation and fans reaching conclusions that weren't factual.

But yeah the team didn't convey their intentions clearly but it was media and fans who jumped to conclusions that weren't reality at all.
    It hardly matters now, but I took Randy's comment as not referring to what he'd produced, I knew he wasn't producing them, but what he'd heard and knew as finished and in the can.

As for Cox's twitter, he said:

Bryan Michael-Cox: So excited about the fourth quarter. Heating up the fall and winter. Starting off w/new Mariah single produced by me & @mr_dupri. #sosodef.
    This on top of Billboard's article about T being the first single and MariahDaily reporting that Mariah mentioned the album dropping in the 4thQ and subsequent statements in the press to that effect give every appearance of a fall release. T and its hype would ordinarily be evidence enough of a fall release.

The MariahDaily article stated:

Tidbits From Mariah's "Triumphant" Press Conference
    Posted by Jonny on Thursday, 02-Aug-2012, 5:41PM EDT
    Mariah presented her new single "Triumphant (Get 'Em)" and talked a bit about her upcoming album in a press conference hosted by IDJ Music Group for Radio and Media people on Thursday, August 2, 2012. Kick off was at 3:00pm ET and lasted for about 45 minutes.

Below are some highlights from the conference call.

"Triumphant" was written during the period when Nick was in the hospital.

Mariah says, "This song has a special meaning for myself, I wish it would not just encourage myself but also encourage all the people out there."

The parent album is currently being recorded, no title has been decided on yet. It is scheduled to be released in fourth quarter of this year.

Mariah didn't want to reveal too many collaborations on the new album. According to her, if she casually says she wants to work with someone, in the end it turns out to be someone working with someone else.

"Triumphant" is scheduled to officially impact Rhythmic and Urban radios on Monday, August 13th.

"Triumphant" has been digitally serviced to Rhythmic and Urban panels, fans can now request their local radios.
    I say all this not to dispute your careful reasoning on the subject but rather to give an indication of how it was that I was led to expect the album this year. Based on the information we had coming at us I think it was a reasonable expectation, however things look now in retrospect.

Anyway, moving on....

Leave a comment:

• CantLetGo
    replied
    I'm definitely a Memoirs stan. I stan for e=MC2 tracks but not the album as a whole.

When I first heard Memoirs I felt like i was listening to the album Mariah's always wanted to make.

Leave a comment:

• CasualFlow
    replied
    what do u guys say "receipts!" ?

i want this album. im getting that listen to every album in full phase. On an e=mc2/memoirs fix lately
    I've been going through the same thing lately. I have a pretty long drive to work every day, about an albums length each way, so I've been re-listening, re-discovering, all of them. I have to say I'm appreciating Music Box in a way I've not before. And EMC2 and MOAIA are great albums, though they suffer in the shadow of TEOM. MOAIA is such a great album to listen to at night, with the lights down, after the kids are asleep. It has a real atmosphere about it that I think is overlooked by a lot of critics. I'm glad she and The Dream gave us this album, I think it really stands out as unique among her catalogue.

Leave a comment:

• Eamon
    replied
    Originally posted by CasualFlow
    i admire you Eamon

you're a glass if half full lamb.
    Thank you.

But seriously, I only deal in the facts of the situation.

And I'd rather be glass half full than spend years following someone only to spend everyday ranting on about what she doesn't do or what she could do better.

Believe me I feel the same way as everyone else at times but as I have gotten older and this year in particular has thought me so much about Mariah, I view Mariah and things very differently.

A lot of lambs feel like she should just pop out an album overnight. But things are different now due to a whole host of factors.
    Ah, come on, Eamon, it's not been overnight. That's a fact we have to consider. And we had press from Showbiz 411 in mid-July, just as the T hype was breaking, that Randy Jackson revealed she was seven songs into the album.
    Yeah but 7 songs is not even half way. Mariah always over records and then cuts down to the best 14/15. That was 7 songs including Triumphant.
    Sure. But that comment by Randy could've just as easily been understood as the selection and polishing stage of all the material she had in the bag but was still choosing and editing the final songs. That is how I took the comment from him. Basically, 'we're putting the album together'. Then Billboard reports that after a three year wait since MOAIA that MC is back with her first song from her upcoming 14th studio album. I just put two and two together. A first single general drops a couple months before the new album. Then MariahDaily reports shortly thereafter that based on comments from MC on a radio interview the album is dropping in the 4thQ and we get twitters from Cox that he's excited about the 4th Q. My point is simply that given the buzz that was occurring in July, shortly before T dropped, most people would natural conclude that the album was coming in the 4th Q, probably late Oct or early Nov. At the very least we have to say that MC's team did not communicate their intentions consistently or well at all.
    It can be understood in whatever way people want to interpret something. But it was confirmed by Liron that Randy Jackson had not produced anything and she had 7 songs done.

Cox's comment had nothing to do with Mariah. That was more speculation and fans reaching conclusions that weren't factual.

But yeah the team didn't convey their intentions clearly but it was media and fans who jumped to conclusions that weren't reality at all.

Leave a comment:

• CantLetGo
    replied
    At the very least we have to say that MC's team did not communicate their intentions consistently or well at all.

Leave a comment:

• CasualFlow
    replied
    Mariah at the Halo Awards tonight.

Source: Heroes of Mariah
    Stunning! Thanks for the pic.

Leave a comment:

• leoapp
    replied
    Originally posted by JSparksFan
    Originally posted by biscuits
    'Triumphant' is in my top 20 Mariah songs.
    Honestly, it's not as bad as some fans and non-fans alike make it out to be. I quite like it too. It's such an empowerment anthem. Interestingly enough, though I was a bit put off by how Rap-heavy the song was, I think everyone really contributes to the overall appeal and quality of the song. Yes, even Rick Ross.
    Triumphant is such a grower actually, however it just needs more Mariah.

Leave a comment:

• CasualFlow
    replied
    I don't think I would be frustrated at this point had I liked Triumphant. Its a really strange experience for me because I never disliked a Mariah song so much. I was disappointed in Bye Bye but Triumphant really threw me off.

I've been the biggest Mariah apologist for the better part of 2 decades now! I went from loving I'll Be There and Dreamlover to thinking Hero was super corny, to being totally impressed with Fantasy and blown away and full fledged fan with ABMB. Butterfly changed me and I became connected to the woman with Outside and Close My Eyes, but was annoyed with the art direction of Rainbow and didn't buy the album but was OBSESSED with Heartbreaker. and then Glitter happened and I became an official LAMB then. Since 2001 Its been Mariah every day every album and defending her at every turn.

Somehow, maybe because I've changed, and Mariah's focus has changed, I don't feel lionized to defend her. I think that having a husband and children has filled up the part of her heart that used to be filled by her work. I'm happy about that and I think its causing me to also redirect how I connect to her and relate her in my daily life.
    Good thoughts, I really identify.

Leave a comment:

• Eamon
    replied
    Mariah at the Halo Awards tonight.

Source: Heroes of Mariah

Leave a comment:

• CantLetGo
    replied
    what do u guys say "receipts!" ?

i want this album. im getting that listen to every album in full phase. On an e=mc2/memoirs fix lately

Leave a comment:

• CasualFlow
    replied
    i admire you Eamon

Thank you.

And I'd rather be glass half full than spend years following someone only to spend everyday ranting on about what she doesn't do or what she could do better.

Believe me I feel the same way as everyone else at times but as I have gotten older and this year in particular has thought me so much about Mariah, I view Mariah and things very differently.

A lot of lambs feel like she should just pop out an album overnight. But things are different now due to a whole host of factors.
    Ah, come on, Eamon, it's not been overnight. That's a fact we have to consider. And we had press from Showbiz 411 in mid-July, just as the T hype was breaking, that Randy Jackson revealed she was seven songs into the album.
    Yeah but 7 songs is not even half way. Mariah always over records and then cuts down to the best 14/15. That was 7 songs including Triumphant.
    Sure. But that comment by Randy could've just as easily been understood as the selection and polishing stage of all the material she had in the bag but was still choosing and editing the final songs. That is how I took the comment from him. Basically, 'we're putting the album together'. Then Billboard reports that after a three year wait since MOAIA that MC is back with her first song from her upcoming 14th studio album. I just put two and two together. A first single general drops a couple months before the new album. Then MariahDaily reports shortly thereafter that based on comments from MC on a radio interview the album is dropping in the 4thQ and we get twitters from Cox that he's excited about the 4th Q. My point is simply that given the buzz that was occurring in July, shortly before T dropped, most people would natural conclude that the album was coming in the 4th Q, probably late Oct or early Nov. At the very least we have to say that MC's team did not communicate their intentions consistently or well at all.

Leave a comment:

• Eamon
    replied

It was debated whether Randy meant 7 songs that he's produced or 7 songs for the album as a whole. "i'm 7 songs in" was a vague statement. This led some of us to think that his 7 songs plus the JD/BMC songs and then what she would come up with Darkchild and Clue = enough material to put out an album. Its still not very clear what he meant.
    He meant she had 7 songs finished. It was confirmed Randy hasn't produced anything.

Leave a comment:

• CantLetGo
    replied

It was debated whether Randy meant 7 songs that he's produced or 7 songs for the album as a whole. "i'm 7 songs in" was a vague statement. This led some of us to think that his 7 songs plus the JD/BMC songs and then what she would come up with Darkchild and Clue = enough material to put out an album. Its still not very clear what he meant.

Leave a comment:

• CantLetGo
    replied
    I don't think I would be frustrated at this point had I liked Triumphant. Its a really strange experience for me because I never disliked a Mariah song so much. I was disappointed in Bye Bye but Triumphant really threw me off.

I've been the biggest Mariah apologist for the better part of 2 decades now! I went from loving I'll Be There and Dreamlover to thinking Hero was super corny, to being totally impressed with Fantasy and blown away and full fledged fan with ABMB. Butterfly changed me and I became connected to the woman with Outside and Close My Eyes, but was annoyed with the art direction of Rainbow and didn't buy the album but was OBSESSED with Heartbreaker. and then Glitter happened and I became an official LAMB then. Since 2001 Its been Mariah every day every album and defending her at every turn.

Somehow, maybe because I've changed, and Mariah's focus has changed, I don't feel lionized to defend her. I think that having a husband and children has filled up the part of her heart that used to be filled by her work. I'm happy about that and I think its causing me to also redirect how I connect to her and relate her in my daily life.

Leave a comment:

• Eamon
    replied
    i admire you Eamon

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Originally posted by biscuits
    'Triumphant' is in my top 20 Mariah songs.
    Honestly, it's not as bad as some fans and non-fans alike make it out to be. I quite like it too. It's such an empowerment anthem. Interestingly enough, though I was a bit put off by how Rap-heavy the song was, I think everyone really contributes to the overall appeal and quality of the song. Yes, even Rick Ross.

Leave a comment:

• CasualFlow
    replied
    i admire you Eamon

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Eamon
    replied
    i admire you Eamon

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• CasualFlow
    replied
    I don't think any of us can say with any sort of certainty just how much material Mariah has in the can at this point - or even who she has worked with here and there to produce it. Notwithstanding her busy schedule and family issues she has an amazing work ethic and is a studio hound. She loves to write and record so I don't think there's a shortage of material or an opportunity to create it - even this year. If anything, Nick's health and Whitney's death were creatively stimulating for Mariah, as hardship often is for artists, rather than restrictive to her creative process.

Leave a comment:

• CantLetGo
    replied
    i admire you Eamon

Leave a comment:

• Eamon
    replied
    She didn't explicitly say no verse but she hinted at it by saying our favourite part would be the bridge and something along the lines of why hadn't she mentioned the verses or had she which also hinted at there being potentially no verse. You gotta read between the lines!!

She never said it had an amazingly, modern beat. She did call it uptempo which wasn't accurate but overall her description was on point for me. Everything she said about the song was exactly the way it was.

Liron has said on FOMM when asked directly about the songs on the album, that she loves some and doesn't like others as much but she knows that music is subjective and when she clearly can't give details of songs out, that is the most she can say.

It's not like she runs on FOMM and blabs about every song she hears and never has done nor does anyone expect her to.

Leave a comment:

• CantLetGo
    replied
    That's rubbish about Liron. Mariah doesn't fill Liron with anything. Liron is there with Mariah most, if not all of the time.

i don't think Liron is being misled or filled with false info but wheres the evidence that Liron is "with" mariah all the time. Doesn't she live in Israel? From what I remember Liron tweeting, Mariah played Liron Triumphant over the phone, and thats all Liron has told the lambs about. Maybe Liron has heard more songs but she hasn't said as much and I don't blame her for being coy about what she knows. Its in her own interest to keep what Mariah tells her close to the vest. Liron's loyalty is to Mariah, not to the lambs. The info we do get from her is a blessing and I appreciate it, but I don't trust her because she's not going to be honest if she doesn't like a song. Why would she jeopardize her standing with Mariah by giving her honest opinion on a song.
    Liron is in NYC with Mariah. And she doesn't travel everywhere with her so if she heard something over the phone, it doesn't mean she is only hearing things over the phone all the time. Mariah was probably in the studio when she made that call. Liron spends loads of time with Mariah. And is aware of everything that goes on and maybe even works for Mariah now but she is there most of the time and knows everything that goes on.

Liron gave an indepth description of the song before it premiered. I was fully aware it was going to be rap heavy, with no verse because of what Liron had said on FOMM. She isn't just someone who hears a trickle of info now and again. She is there in the thick of things, knowing exactly what is going on.

And regarding her commenting on Mariah's music, we don't know what their relationship is really like. She might be very critical of Mariah's music. She might genuinely like it. They are friends and I'm sure their relationship is real enough after all this time that she can say if she doesn't like a song.

I remember reading about what liron said about the song before we heard it and I also knew to expect a rap heavy song, but no verse? I don't remember her being explicit about not having a verse. I remember her saying it was an uptempo with an amazing beat, very modern sounding and amazing vocals. Obviously she was telling the truth, but I don't think her characterization of the song is entirely accurate. I guess that just comes down to someone's subjectivity. Liron obviously liked the song. I only meant that Liron isn't going to tell US she doesn't like something. she might tell Mariah all types of business but she's not going to run to us and be like "mariah recorded a dud".

Leave a comment:

• Eamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Tobby
    I do not see how it took 4 MONTHS to write four lines in Triumphant (plus the bridge). JD said they had 5 songs sketches done back then.
    They wrote songs in January before Triumphant happened. Triumphant happened while Nick was in the hospital in February and Whitney died.

And writing a song doesn't take 4 months. She was recording/producing it for 4 months while obviously doing other things like nursing her husband, raising two kids, two concerts and being out of the US for weeks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X