Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Björk

Finally...

"The Polar Music Prize 2010 is being awarded to Icelandic artist Björk. With her deeply personal music and lyrics, her precise arrangements and her unique voice, Björk has already made an indelible mark on pop music and modern culture at large, despite her relative youth. No other artist moves so freely between avant-garde and pop. With her albums and videos, Björk has taken avant-garde to the top of the charts. She has also always embraced technological advances, combining computers with ancient sounds. Björk has introduced an arctic temperament to popular music and shown how passionate and explosive it can be. Björk is an untameable force of nature, an artist who marches to nobody’s tune but her own."

Official video announcment here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw9OakpzItU

www.bjork.com
    Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
    and you are no exception

My God! YES!

Bjork's music is beyond legendary. Her voice makes me feel like "traveling" to distant places, seriously, she's such a talent. Such a legend. She more than deserves this and I hope that her talent will keep on being recognized for the next decade and even by the next generations. Everything from her futuristic, groundbreaking and innovative music videos that marked the '90s, her original looks and the amazing sound of her spectacular music always captures me. I'm such a great fan of everything she's done through her work. She's incredible... <3

CONGRATULATIONS BJORK!!!
    Madonna Addict

Comment

WOOOO Bjork! Well-deserved!

Comment

She deserves an award like that!.

Congratulations Björk!!.
        "Roses" by THE CRANBERRIES now ON SALE
        "Not your Kind of people" on May 15 by GARBAGE

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_Music_Prize

The Polar Music Prize is an annual music prize awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Music. It was created in 1989 with funds donated by Stig Anderson, manager of Swedish band ABBA and founder of the record label Polar Music.[1]

The board of the Stig Anderson Music Award Foundation includes representatives from the Stig Anderson family, SKAP (The Swedish Society of Popular Music Composers) and STIM (The Swedish Performing Rights Society). The task of scrutinizing nominations submitted and selecting the ultimate laureates is undertaken by an Award Committee comprising of experienced members of the pop music industry.

Laureates from a wide range of countries, cultures and continents have received the Prize in Stockholm from the hand of His Majesty, Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.

Previous Laureates
          2010 - Björk and Ennio Morricone
          2009 - José Antonio Abreu and El Sistema & Peter Gabriel
          2008 - Pink Floyd and Renée Fleming
          2007 - Sonny Rollins and Steve Reich
          2006 - Led Zeppelin and Valery Gergiev
          2005 - Gilberto Gil and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
          2004 - B. B. King and György Ligeti
          2003 - Keith Jarrett
          2002 - Sofia Gubaidulina and Miriam Makeba
          2001 - Burt Bacharach, Robert Moog and Karlheinz Stockhausen
          2000 - Bob Dylan and Isaac Stern
          1999 - Stevie Wonder and Iannis Xenakis
          1998 - Ray Charles and Ravi Shankar
          1997 - Eric Ericson and Bruce Springsteen
          1996 - Pierre Boulez and Joni Mitchell
          1995 - Sir Elton John and Mstislav Rostropovich
          1994 - Nikolaus Harnoncourt and Quincy Jones
          1993 - Dizzy Gillespie and Witold Lutos?awski
          1992 - Sir Paul McCartney and the Baltic States of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
          Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (4th July 20) - Young Ejecta, Sault, Sunmi, Millie Turner, Clan Of Xymox, John Carpenter, Hacker T Dog, Hurts, Hayley Williams, Jessie Ware, Kitty, Arca, Nadine Shah, Haim, Ray Lamontagne, Daniel Avery, Snowgoose, Grey Daze, Fire Saga.....

Comment

Originally posted by Blondini
            and the Baltic States of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
            wonder how did they give a prize to three countries
            for some reason... I'm here

Comment

Originally posted by Dalmatin
              Originally posted by Blondini
              and the Baltic States of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
              wonder how did they give a prize to three countries
              I know!
              Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (4th July 20) - Young Ejecta, Sault, Sunmi, Millie Turner, Clan Of Xymox, John Carpenter, Hacker T Dog, Hurts, Hayley Williams, Jessie Ware, Kitty, Arca, Nadine Shah, Haim, Ray Lamontagne, Daniel Avery, Snowgoose, Grey Daze, Fire Saga.....

Comment

Originally posted by AyuM
                My God! YES!

Bjork's music is beyond legendary. Her voice makes me feel like "traveling" to distant places, seriously, she's such a talent. Such a legend. She more than deserves this and I hope that her talent will keep on being recognized for the next decade and even by the next generations. Everything from her futuristic, groundbreaking and innovative music videos that marked the '90s, her original looks and the amazing sound of her spectacular music always captures me. I'm such a great fan of everything she's done through her work. She's incredible... <3

CONGRATULATIONS BJORK!!!
                Yes! I agree with everything you wrote here

But I feel like if they jumped over one chapter in the history-book, leaving Kate Bush behind.
                She deserves it even more!
                Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Finally...

I just watched Björk receive the Music Polar Prize 2010 on Swedish television, couldnt help but crying. She deserves it!

It all became very touching when Björks father presented her for the prize and asked her to enter the stage. Really sad though that the channel had some technical problems and we didnt get to see the middle section of the fathers personal speach for his daughter.

"Thank you very much, I am truly honoured!" and she walked of the stage...

Robyn was the first artist to honour Björk in the concert by performing Hyperballad. But people that watched this must believe that Björk does music without soul and nothing but crap in it after this horrible performance. Robyn had no tone, no character, no passion, and was acting foolish. She literally murdered a classic song and they should have asked somebody else. Robyn is nothing but a little girl, still. I've had my doubts about her lately, but this was more than I could take. The girl is a big disappointment! Nothing but dust.

Then a group, which I am too tired to search the name for cause I am tired tonight (sorry), performed Human Behavior (Björks debut single which seems to be the winner of the Björk - Debut survivor). This was a very interesting cover, great and Björk herself seemed more satisfied with this one than Hyperballad.

Finally to end the concert Ane Brun was announced as the last singer to enter the stage singing Jóga. After Robyn I felt "Oh No!" but Ane surprised me and got my pillow all wet again. Alot of emotion in her voice and stage prescence, this was a beautiful ending and this time it also seemed as if Björk had a tear in her eyes.

She is really a genuine woman of art! And nobody will ever be able to re-create her music just like with all the "big" artists. Congratulations!

PS.
                  Hopefully some videos of the ceremony and the performances will be available on youtube soon, when I see them I'll post them here if nobody else does.

How beautiful to be... in state of emergency.
                  Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

This is the only one I can find as for now:

robyn - Hyperballad
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xPCxxxvqSw

:-? Just wrong!!
                    Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Björk on iTunes in Sweden
                      #257 Hyperballad
                      #518 Jóga
                      Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

^^
                        Originally posted by Polar Music
                        Björk has taken avant-garde to the top of the charts.

Congrats to her , well deserved!

Comment

Moved by request
                          1 pnau |2 Gabrielle Aplin |3 Dotter|4 Sofi Tukker |5 Afrojack

Comment

Originally posted by SholasBoy
                            Moved by request
                            Thank you!!

I thought it would be better to have this thread over here since Björk is becoming more and more active now again, after being quite isolated for a while.

She has done 2 or 3 interviews lately and is also releasing The Comet Song on iTunes the 6th of september from the new Moomin Soundtrack.

Album: sometime in 2011
                            Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Love this girl

My favorite album is probably Debut.
                              And favorite song Play Dead and Come to me.
                              Pleasure over matter.

Comment

How did you discover Björk, recently you said??
                                That can change by time if you have not heard the albums several times, they all have quite a unique sound-scape and many songs are not immediate, but can after years and years change your mind completely

The lyrics for Come To Me are tragic.
                                Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Originally posted by Vindrag
                                  How did you discover Björk, recently you said??
                                  That can change by time if you have not heard the albums several times, they all have quite a unique sound-scape and many songs are not immediate, but can after years and years change your mind completely

The lyrics for Come To Me are tragic.
                                  Well,my sister adores her and a few days ago i asked her who is that girl,'cause her voice got me really interested And that's how i started to looove her.

And i haven't heard the all albums a lot times but from what i heard Debut is my favorite,maybe it will change,who knows
                                  Pleasure over matter.

Comment

That's a great sister you have!
                                    Tell me when you discover something new that blows your mind away
                                    Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

That's a great sister you have!
                                      Tell me when you discover something new that blows your mind away
                                      Oh thank you

I dont know if you love Manu Chao,but i started to love them a couple of days too
                                      Pleasure over matter.

Comment

"AnOther Magazine Issue 19 cover, photography by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, who say
                                        “She’s the only person we know who is completely connected with heaven and earth simultaneously.”

Björk is perfection when it comes to images.
                                        And yes I know about Manu Chao, but I quite dislike them, and they've been to big in Sweden recently :(
                                        Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

The Comet Song from the Moomin soundtrack is available on iTunes by the way, and it's worth the money!!!
                                          Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

This is the only one I can find as for now:

robyn - Hyperballad
                                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xPCxxxvqSw

:-? Just wrong!!
                                            How did she murder it? It was almost exactly identical, I could tell Robyn was very nervous because Bjork was in the audience, but her vocal control was near perfect.

I wish she took a chance and jazzed up the arrangements instead of performing a carbon copy though. Odd song choice too!

Bjork's expression terrified me.
                                            Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
                                            Follow me on Last.fm?

Comment

Honestly...i feel Robyn didn't do that bad. Agreed she is just a kid in front of Goddess Bjork, but she had a huge job to do, and with her little experience, she did pretty well.

But Ane Brun!! My Goodness! I can't believe a voice so amazing existed! She did Joga so well. And Joga is like one of my favourite songs! Everytime she sang "emotional.."...it gave me chills...Amazing.

I was so happy and proud when i saw the awards.

Comment

Other than the fact that she changed 2 words in the chorus, I think Robyn was fantastic! The orchestration helped quite a bit too. Bjork seemed to be moved.

Comment

Hmm, there is no need to argue about that Hyperballad performance now, but I cannot understand how anyone finds it even close to being good. Disaster!
                                                  Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Björk Pays Tribute to Fashion Designer Alexander McQueen

It's been seven months since renowned fashion designer Alexander McQueen (born Lee Alexander McQueen) took his own life at his London home. He was just one month shy of his 41st birthday.

Some of the world's biggest stars have donned some of McQueen's most dramatic styles on the red carpet, including Nicole Kidman, Gwen Stefani, Sandra Bullock, and Lady Gaga. Just over a week ago, about 1,200 colleagues and friends, including Sarah Jessica Parker and Vogue's Anna Wintour, attended a memorial service in his honor at London's St. Paul's Cathedral.

Björk was also in attendance and sang Billie Holiday's "Gloomy Sunday" in tribute to her longtime friend and collaborator. She shares some of her fondest memories of McQueen at GQ UK and on her personal blog

"I felt Lee's raw connection with nature and birth and death was very refreshing. When I moved to London, being from Iceland, I sometimes found the self-importance in the UK's obsession with the decay of its empire boring, to insist the whole world is dying with them. This urban apocalyptic aesthetic is still a bit overdriving, a bit teenage really... it mostly just reveals its impotency."

McQueen's most recognizable work with Björk is his icy-cool cover art for her fourth album, 1997's critically-acclaimed Homogenic. He also directed the wildly imaginative video for Homegenic's fourth single, "Alarm Call." Her extraordinary bell-shaped gown featured in the video for "Who Is It (Carry My Joy on the Left, Carry My Pain on the Right)," the second single from her 2004 effort, Medúlla, was also created by McQueen
                                                    Alarm Call video:
                                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCtzQ6Kb ... r_embedded

Who Is It?
                                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgk360PZJ7w
                                                    (The video version of this song... Amazing!!!)

Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Björk performing Gloomy Sunday (arrangement by Jónas Sen) on the memorial service for Alexander McQueen St Paul's Cathedral in London during the London Fashion Week:

Live! (audio only) - I really love her vocals!
                                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMwkmoiOWcE

Official version (with Björk)
                                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCEJtUNe ... re=related
                                                      Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

That performance was just magical. I just got an out of body experience. Bjork felt a connection with Alexander. Maybe he was as imaginative as her. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by skapunk
                                                          That performance was just magical. I just got an out of body experience. Bjork felt a connection with Alexander. Maybe he was as imaginative as her. RIP.
                                                          Let us hold hands skapunk!!
                                                          My internal organs are shivering!

Here is a "video" of the performance:
                                                          http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xexi6s ... o-al_music

This track came as a surprise today..
                                                          Her vocals makes me a bit sad or vulnerable, too bad it isnt avaliable on iTunes - I would love to have this version in HQ.

Her voice always gives me a sense of the natural origin of earth. Truly emotional. It hits deep!
                                                          Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

"Death is a dream
                                                            for in death I'm caressing you
                                                            with the last breath of my soul
                                                            I'll be blessing you"
                                                            Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Working...
                                                            X