No announcement yet.

Björk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That performance is just echoing in and out of me. I can feel it resonating somewhere deep down. I feel what you are feeling Vindrag. There is just something about her voice with is rustically enchanting. I get that feeling a lot in 'Unravel'. I think she really feels what she sings. She gets into the whole concept, and shapes the song the way she feels it.

Comment

You described it even better than I did!!

The organ is a very emotionally powerful instrument when used in a place like this arrangement. It is not the first time Björk sings to similar music, I hope her next album contains anything fragile and melancholic like this song. Something like Desired Constellation? Not with many beats, just simple like this.

DEAR GOD, PLEASE HELP ME!
      I get goose bumps around my heart when she sings Gloomy Sunday!!
      Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
      and you are no exception

Comment

Her songs are much stronger without many beats! Her voice is powerful and diverse enough in its own. Maybe that's why she could easily pull off one whole album "Medulla" solely on the strength of her voice. And it is so amazing how she puts in unusual sounds in her songs, like shuffling cards in Hidden Place, heavy boot tapping on wooden floor in Unravel. She is just amazing.

Comment

Way to go, stealing the show at a funeral!

Comment

Originally posted by skapunk
            That performance was just magical. I just got an out of body experience. Bjork felt a connection with Alexander. Maybe he was as imaginative as her. RIP.
            maybe? MAYBE! google image his designs also Bad Romance, he's really creative :(

btw he directed Alarm Call, amazing video

I love Gloomy Sunday! it's haunting, I want to see another angle though
            I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Comment

Medulla ... it felt like all my physics was transformed when I discovered my relationship with this album. "If you ask yourself, now patiently, and carefully - Who is it?"
              Possibly more on the question, "Who am I?" .

"A young tired" man can only bow to such divine inspiration, and be grateful! I saw today that the remix video to just this single was on iTunes, and I have fantasized about embracing it. The sound quality is now complete.

And want to add that I feel sorry for all those who claims Medulla as a failed attempt.

Isländsk konst
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgk360PZJ7w
              Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

I was trying to search from a long time what instrument was used in "Desired Constellation" and I found this...

...the atmospheric haze that dominates "Desired Constellation" was created from a sample of Björk singing the phrase "I'm not sure what to do with it" from "Hidden Place" on her previous album, Vespertine.
                Whoa! I can't believe it. It sounds so magical.

P.S: I just can't get enough of 'Gloomy Sunday'...I just can't stop playing it. My friend says that I am getting suicidal and he is keeping a watch over me!

Comment

After looking at the play counts, I realised how much I love 'Hyperballad'! I never knew I listened to it so much!

I love the innocence in the lyrics. To a layman, the lyrics would seem as if written by a suicidal kid (because of 'Imagine what my body would sound like, slamming against those rocks' line), but its so honest, pure and true. Love her for this amazing song.

Comment

'Wanderlust' has to be one of her best videos! Such a beautiful enchanting video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Onwb...eature=related

Comment

Anyways...I am so lost into the videos from 'Volta' era. Gosh, how I underrated this era. Its as brilliant as ever! Oceania and Wanderlust are pure brilliance.
                      Shame on you!
                      Volta is absolutely brilliant in all kind of ways, the album is so damn consistent and almost perfection, the videos are outstanding, the tour and her style.

Everything about it - AMAZING!!
                      Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Originally posted by Vindrag
                        Anyways...I am so lost into the videos from 'Volta' era. Gosh, how I underrated this era. Its as brilliant as ever! Oceania and Wanderlust are pure brilliance.
                        Shame on you!
                        Volta is absolutely brilliant in all kind of ways, the album is so damn consistent and almost perfection, the videos are outstanding, the tour and her style.

Everything about it - AMAZING!!
                        Absolutely!I was encaptured by Debut, Post and Homogenic for so long, I never really got into Medulla and Volta. But now I am realizing I missed so much for so long. 'Triumph Of A Heart','Mouth's Cradle','Desired Constellation','Innocence','Oceania','Where Is The Line','Wanderlust' are very high on my playlist right now. I am going through this whole phase...

Comment

Are.... you... telling me..... your discovering those 2 albums..... first...... now????

VINDRAG IS JEALOUS!!!
                          Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Obviously I knew of them since a long time, just gave them an easy listen long back, just the singles mostly...its actually now that I am feeling them, in "that" kind of way...The sound is permeating every molecule of my inner self now...Okay, I was a little late

Comment

I just love this Interview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dFRFsQKGQ

at 00:58... Gosh I love her!

Comment

Obviously I knew of them since a long time, just gave them an easy listen long back, just the singles mostly...its actually now that I am feeling them, in "that" kind of way...The sound is permeating every molecule of my inner self now...Okay, I was a little late
                                The same with me. When Vespertine came out in 2001 I was in a totally different mood, listened to it once in the record store and didn't even give this album a chance. I thought oh no where are the melodies? Well, this changed 2 years ago... Vespertine, Medúlla and Volta are heavily played. I still haven't really discovered the concept that connects the songs on Volta. This is much easier with Vespertine and Medúlla.

And I just discovered all her interviews on Youtube. I just watch one every day, not more, to make it last.
                                last.fm
                                Chun's monthly most listened

Comment

Originally posted by chun1702
                                  The same with me. When Vespertine came out in 2001 I was in a totally different mood, listened to it once in the record store and didn't even give this album a chance. I thought oh no where are the melodies? Well, this changed 2 years ago... Vespertine, Medúlla and Volta are heavily played. I still haven't really discovered the concept that connects the songs on Volta. This is much easier with Vespertine and Medúlla.

And I just discovered all her interviews on Youtube. I just watch one every day, not more, to make it last.
                                  Yeah, Vespertine and Homogenic didn't let me move ahead for so long. It was difficult to move past Debut and Post anyway. But finally I gave in and I am playing Medulla and Volta day and night. Just brilliant. I can't believe how perfect someone's discography can be from start to finish.

Yeah, I love her interviews. I love her accents, her perception of things, and how much importance she gives to small small things in life.

Comment

^ Yes!
                                    last.fm

Comment

Sigur Rós (with Bjork) - Gobbledigook

Icelandic people are so weird , but they make the most beautiful music in the world
                                      "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

I am playing 'Where Is The Line' so much nowdays. I remember long back the song used to creep me out a lot. Maybe it was because of the video. But now I am appreciating the song for what it is so much. Its amazing. And that beat towards the end is sooo sick!!!

Comment

I may have found the most perfect song ever. The song of my life. The song which permeates my very existence. The song which literally gives me OOBEs. I can't believe music could make me feel this way....

I've Seen It All - Björk and Thom Yorke.

Comment

^*Goes to play it*

Anyways,im in love with One Day these days. It reminds me of summer days,dunno why
                                            Pleasure over matter.

Comment

I've been digging into the relation which Thom and Björk share. And I clearly feel Thom has a huge artistic crush on Björk. I was satisfied when I found this.

In a 2006 interview with Spin magazine, Radiohead singer Thom Yorke named "Unravel" as his favourite song ever, and said, "I'm trying to get Radiohead to do a cover because I think it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard."

Comment

That was an amazing song though

Im downloading the movie,my sister told me it's incredible
                                                Pleasure over matter.

Comment

I am so glad you liked it RaFanatic.

I am feeling ashamed of how I always underrated Thom. The way he complements Björk on this song is just magical. I can't believe how emotional I am at the moment.

Comment

I am so glad you liked it RaFanatic.

I am feeling ashamed of how I always underrated Thom. The way he complements Björk on this song is just magical. I can't believe how emotional I am at the moment.

Im so glad you mentioned it Thanks.
                                                    Pleasure over matter.

Comment

The infamous Swan Dress performance at the Oscars

I've Seen It All was nominated for 'Best Original Song' in 2001.

Comment

YEEES I've Seen It All is soo beautiful. Acceptance to and to cope with things you cannot control. Of course it fits perfectly to Dancer In The Dark.

I've seen it all, I have seen the trees,
                                                        I've seen the willow leaves dancing in the breeze
                                                        I've seen a man killed by his best friend,
                                                        And lives that were over before they were spent.
                                                        I've seen what I was - I know what I'll be
                                                        I've seen it all - there is no more to see!

You haven't seen elephants, kings or Peru!
                                                        I'm happy to say I had better to do
                                                        What about China? Have you seen the Great Wall?
                                                        All walls are great, if the roof doesn't fall!

And the man you will marry?
                                                        The home you will share?
                                                        To be honest, I really don't care...

You've never been to Niagara Falls?
                                                        I have seen water, its water, that's all...
                                                        The Eiffel Tower, the Empire State?
                                                        My pulse was as high on my very first date!
                                                        Your grandson's hand as he plays with your hair?
                                                        To be honest, I really don't care...

I've seen it all, I've seen the dark
                                                        I've seen the brightness in one little spark.
                                                        I've seen what I chose and I've seen what I need,
                                                        And that is enough, to want more would be greed.
                                                        I've seen what I was and I know what I'll be
                                                        I've seen it all - there is no more to see!

You've seen it all and all you have seen
                                                        You can always review on your own little screen
                                                        The light and the dark, the big and the small
                                                        Just keep in mind - you need no more at all
                                                        You've seen what you were and know what you'll be
                                                        You've seen it all - there is no more to see!

Sometimes I think I've seen too many things and not given me the time to replay them on my little screen and then they burst out and make me psych.

Anyway, I never watched a video from the Medúlla era. I just realized that and now how I am exited to get to watch them because there is internet and I can watch everything but yet that's the problem again with my little screen awh vicious circle hello again...
                                                        last.fm

Comment

Just saw Triumph Of A Heart video. So funny and I want a cat BUT I screamed so loud at her falling onto the pavement. Ahh that hurt!

last.fm

Comment

"...eeeh the air pressure forces the molecules? to go tiny..."

Hmm, I have a feeling this might be a slightly disturbed/weird/fuzzy post with some incoherent Björk-related theories - I'm far away from being what people call "sober" at the moment - so excuse me for that!

I dont want to be rude, but One Day comes to mind as probably Björks only "bad" song that whole album is quite summary to be honest The Anchor Song - yikes, how beautiful!!

What can I say, congratulations my dear skapunk - I can still remember every detail in every second from my days with I've Seen It All - it could give me a sense of being entirely empty on emotions. Paralyzed, hollow, and becoming completely apathetic due to all that I've been through, through all that I've seen. Simple lyrics, but with an avoidable terror for some.

And admit that Thom Yorke's love for Unravel must've some sort of connection with your own obsession to that beloved lament.. By the way, I sense a emotionally devestating, nostalgic awakening when you guys are discovering Björk related things in "that" way for the first time so damn jealous and makes me feel real old NEW ALBUM PLEASE BJÖRK, things that I've carved into my mind, her influence is immense!!

RaFanatic - I'd really enjoy reading your thoughts about the movie sometime!! I saw it, I guess several times during one week, run over by Björks talent and the self-recognition in a disturbed mind with melancholy lingering all around. Be patient with the movie, it might come of as slow and just too fuzzy at first. Selmasongs - - - > a classic movie soundtrack!

I want to try and cover all the interesting discussion that's been going on in this golden thread, and finally (in this long and maybe mega-stupid post) what chun1702 wrote about having troubles experiencing the intented concept that links together all 10 tracks for the Volta album. Personally I interpret one of the primary intentions behind Homogenic's production to be more consistent with Volta's soundscape, namely a sonic presentation of the unique Icelandic landscape and the pulse within earth and how humans are connected with this mysterious force.

For me, Volta opens a peephole into humanitys inability to unite with natures immortality, and how natures indefinable power continue to function inside and outside human beings and lies hidden even within our "consciousness". Throughout the whole record Björks manages to combine tragic poetry about us escaping from uncertainty only to fall back into the same mind, and poetry about how various characters' careless determination collides with a disastrous result for an inner security/balance. This, along with the "monstrously" haunting and threatening but also somehow fragile build-up of Wanderlust's beats is a example of when a human spirit seep into "vacuum".

It's like Voltas concept lies hidden within a metaphorical jungle both in music and lyrics, it's a journey with the purpose of discovering something original we all share, something un-explored but constantly present. To find this and try to protect the value of Nature, a gathering place for ourselves and the unknown.

Well... if not.... then Volta is all about experimenting with heavy beats and a brass choir, or just the results of Björks delight with Mr. Fungus Funk!

Almost forgot... - - - > Where Is The Line?

Elastic
                                                            Capacity
                                                            Flexible

Thank you Björk for giving me these key-words for having the best sex, and also for your magical concert in Blackpool 2 years ago, when you, without not being able to imagine it, introduced the audience to WITL? WOW!!!!

Volta is like my baby, Pneumonia being my very first Björk hit, and to be honest... the album is no doubt better than Debut, Post and Homogenic - I consider Volta + Vespertine & Medúlla to be, from several perspectives/views superior to the first three albums as these mentioned has a "stronger personality" - - quite speechless now, but it's like the first 3 are more albums with songs, whereas the V, V and M songs are assembled as a puzzle, like a riddle - as if all 3 of them were someone you knew.

(Except maybe Homogenic, as it is almost on the same majestic level) however.... Vindrag: shut up! OK! declare independence
                                                            Luc

and you are no exception

Comment

Oh my! I am so happy to see you all open up in this thread.

chun1702, Medulla videos are easily one of her best. Oceania, Where Is The Line?, Who Is It and Triumph Of A Heart are just artistic best.
                                                              I love the Triumph Of A Heart video. I love the pub scene in the middle when they make those noises, and the funny dance at the end. And yeah, an extra was used for that falling scene, just for your information.
                                                              And I am glad to know you love I've Seen It All as well. You can always PM me if you ever want to talk about the emotions Bjork awakens in you. I'll always be there.

Vindrag, Wow, that was one amazing post. Read it twice.
                                                              I still haven't recovered from the impact of the song. I am still unfolding to it. It has completely shaken my deep hollow soul, still reverberating. I am exactly feeling what you felt. This is the only song I've cried to after Sade's "Pearls", not because its very sad, but just because it resonates with me. Its not a weep of sorrow, but of a sudden realisation.

I would like to add something. I completely agree with you about Vespertine, Medulla and Volta. Those three are my favorite too. But we have to agree, Debut, Post and Homogenic prepare us for V,M,V. They make the transition from meaningless music we have been hearing all the way till now to something magical easier. They make our souls worthy of the emotions V.M.V would invoke is us.

And Vindrag, you can always start all over again with Bjork. I've noticed that about her discography. There is always something more to explore.

'Unravel'...well, what do I say. I have kinda grown out of the song. Though I hate to admit it, but maybe its because of 'I've Seen It All', which has taken over me. I still love the song, and I totally understand why Thom Yorke does too.

I love your love for Volta. Honestly, I still haven't opened up to the album like I have opened up to Medulla. But trust me, I will reach there soon.

God, I just can't stop talking about her and her music. I am sorry but you all might see me talking to myself here a lot.

And RaFanatic, I agree with Vindrag, You should watch the movie and review it here. I would love to know your opinion. I haven't seen the movie myself though. Will have to watch it soon.

Aurooraaa...aaaa aaa aaa aaa aaaa...aaaa aaa aaaaaaaa ooo ooo ooo ooo oo oooooooo....Utter Mundane...

Comment

Working...
                                                              X