Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lollo95
    Originally posted by MIMIxAyu
    I just realized that Vespertine is like a lullaby album for me! When I can't go to sleep I put it on, and it gently puts me to sleep. It's such a beautiful album that I have to listen to it while I sleep!
    That's what it's supposed to be! Vespertine comes from the word "vespers", which means "evening prayers". I also think (not sure) that "Vespertine" could be used as an adjective to say "nocturne".
    Oh wow! Really?! I never knew that!!! Such a lovely album to rest to!
    We all know goodbyes will always lead to new hellos

Comment

• Wikipedia:

Vespertine is a term used in the life sciences to indicate something of, relating to, or occurring in the evening. In botany, a vespertine flower is one that opens or blooms in the evening. In zoology, the term is used for a creature that becomes active at dusk, such as bats and owls. Strictly speaking however, the term also implies that the activity ceases during the hours of full darkness, and does not resume till the next evening. Activity that continues throughout the night should be described as nocturnal.

Vespertine behaviour is a special case of crepuscular behaviour; like crepuscular activity, vespertine activity is limited to dusk rather than full darkness. Unlike vespertine activity however, crepuscular activity may resume in dim pre-dawn twilight. A related term is matutinal, referring only to activity limited to dawn twilight.

The word vespertine is derived from the Latin vesper (evening).
      Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
      and you are no exception

Comment

• from Björk's FB:

"vinyl junkie? bored of all that boring black vinyl? rejoice, for björk's entire back catalogue is about to become available on colored vinyl!"

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen
          from Björk's FB:

"vinyl junkie? bored of all that boring black vinyl? rejoice, for björk's entire back catalogue is about to become available on colored vinyl!"

I don't own any of Björk's albums on vinyl so this is perfect! Just ordered the lot for £106, not bad at all! New album is great need a few more listens before I form real opinions, Björk albums take time.

Comment

• Originally posted by geekyspice
            Originally posted by AndiIversen
            from Björk's FB:

I don't own any of Björk's albums on vinyl so this is perfect! Just ordered the lot for £106, not bad at all! New album is great need a few more listens before I form real opinions, Björk albums take time.
            Where did you get them?

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta
              Originally posted by geekyspice
              from Björk's FB:

Where did you get them?
              The store on her site: http://indian.co.uk/shop/bjork.html

Edit:Looks like Deubt, Post, Homogenic and Vespertine have already so out.

Comment

• About Vespertine, this is one of the best interviews from that era:

She talks about what "vespertine" it means to her as well, which might be a little different from what we find online, as Björk is - generally- in her own world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp4AZ7iLfKQ

Comment

• I'm constantly amazed at how relevant and important Björk is to modern music. Her ability to be experimental with not only her song structure but her vocal delivery and instrumentals ,yet flirt perfectly with pop accessibility, is beyond comparable with anyone. Vulnicura is another example of how emotionally real and raw she can be. She's bleeding her music right now and it's lovely to see this passion from her in this way(though I'd rather her be blessed with all the happiness she deserves. ) Biophilia was a gorgeous record with layer after layer of depth but the bleak brokenness in the lyrics on this album partnered with the haunting instrumentals and beats are on another level. This is definitely not a constant repeatable record for me, though I have been playing it daily, but it's more akin to a companion, in record form, that can provide comfort in the darkest of situations.

Just my two cents.

First post by the way. Nice to see everyone's positivity towards this record.

Comment

• After i fell in love with "Vulnicura" right from the start (and it was my first album by Björk) i ordered "Vespertine" and "Homogenic" as i read so many positive reviews about these two and got the copies today.

I just started to listen to "Vespertine" and i really think that Björk just got a new big fan

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike
                      After i fell in love with "Vulnicura" right from the start (and it was my first album by Björk) i ordered "Vespertine" and "Homogenic" as i read so many positive reviews about these two and got the copies today.

I just started to listen to "Vespertine" and i really think that Björk just got a new big fan
                      OMG!!! You will become a fan for LIFE!!! You already have two of her best albums.
                      Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney

Comment

After i fell in love with "Vulnicura" right from the start (and it was my first album by Björk) i ordered "Vespertine" and "Homogenic" as i read so many positive reviews about these two and got the copies today.

Yes, two of her best albums! Enjoy!

Comment

Tansike!! This is great news, you will love it (well I expect you not to like every song, but some of them, you will, enjoy. ...and tell us about your impressions. My favourite Vespertine songs are:
                          Pagan Poetry, Aurora, Frosti, An Echo, a Stain, and Cocoon.
                          My favourite Homogenic songs are: Unravel, Bachelorette, All Is Full of Love, Hunter, and Jóga.

Both albums are great. Homogenic is instant love while Vespertine needs the right mood and some patience, yet it's her masterpiece and my favourite Björk album. Those two albums are the ones that are most similar to Vulnicura, so you made the right choice.
                          last.fm
                          Chun's monthly most listened

Comment

• Thank you, guys

Actually, i enjoyed ALL songs of "Vespertine". But i need to listen to it more to get my favorites, but after the first listen i'd say it's (nearly) perfect as a whole and will be hard to get a fave for me. It flows so well.
                            Will take the time to listen to "Homogenic" tomorrow - can't wait

Comment

Thank you, guys

Actually, i enjoyed ALL songs of "Vespertine". But i need to listen to it more to get my favorites, but after the first listen i'd say it's (nearly) perfect as a whole and will be hard to get a fave for me. It flows so well.
                              Will take the time to listen to "Homogenic" tomorrow - can't wait
                              Homogenic is definitely her at her most iconic. The way she created this organic electronic record that was jam packed with emotion and energy was so remarkable It's truly one of the most influential electronic albums. Joga is one of her best songs. Fans are usually divided between Homogenic and Vespertine when it comes to her best work but both should be listened to regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen
                                About Vespertine, this is one of the best interviews from that era:

She talks about what "vespertine" it means to her as well, which might be a little different from what we find online, as Björk is - generally- in her own world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp4AZ7iLfKQ
                                Omg how have I not seen this?! Thank you!

I'm still in love with Vulnicura! I've been listening to it a lot! Vesper time I listen to go to sleep.

Comment

• So while "Homogenic" didn't click with me the way "Vulnicura" and "Vespertine" did after the first spin, it grew on me very fast now. I still think it's the weakest of these three after around five plays. But the first half is fantastic (Absolutely love "Hunter", "Joga" and "Bachelorette").

Somehow i regret that i never checked her out as i was always interested in her, but just not enough to buy a record. I'm glad i did now though, and i'm sure i'll buy more albums in the (near) future

Comment

• My estimation of you now >>>>>> before

Comment

So while "Homogenic" didn't click with me the way "Vulnicura" and "Vespertine" did after the first spin, it grew on me very fast now. I still think it's the weakest of these three after around five plays. But the first half is fantastic (Absolutely love "Hunter", "Joga" and "Bachelorette").

Somehow i regret that i never checked her out as i was always interested in her, but just not enough to buy a record. I'm glad i did now though, and i'm sure i'll buy more albums in the (near) future
                                      Glad you're getting into her music!

I was thinking you might want to check out Telegram , maybe after hearing Post, but it's much more experimental and interesting even if some people consider it a bit harsh. Just for, you know, comparison purposes

A more natural listening would be Vespertine Live of course.

Comment

• Next album please do a colab with Philip Glass.
                                        last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by Chun
                                          Next album please do a colab with Philip Glass.
                                          That would be really interesting, quite the collaboration. I attended a concert of his last year when he came to my town. It was great to see/hear him in the flesh so to speak. Nothing beats live music.
                                          It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
                                          But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Comment

• A little of topic but does anyone know who Kerli is here? She lists Björk as her major influence and I hear it in her voice a lot, but she's the reason why I found out about Björk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grybop
                                              My estimation of you now >>>>>> before
                                              Was it that bad?

Glad you're getting into her music!

I was thinking you might want to check out Telegram , maybe after hearing Post, but it's much more experimental and interesting even if some people consider it a bit harsh. Just for, you know, comparison purposes

A more natural listening would be Vespertine Live of course.

Thanks for the recommendations!
                                              I'll probably try these as soon as i've get some more time, but there's currently enough new music to discover

A little of topic but does anyone know who Kerli is here? She lists Björk as her major influence and I hear it in her voice a lot, but she's the reason why I found out about Björk.
                                              I know her, she's my most favorite artist since 2008 and she's the girl in my avi

And you're absolutely right, i thought the same within the last few weeks when i got into Björk's music...

Comment

• ^
                                                I've been following her since then too!!! She's also one of my faves! I realized your avi before but never mentions it. ^^ They said she sampled All Is Full Of Love for Love Is Dead and I kinda hear the similarities or am I crazy? :-? oh also not the album version for All Is Full Of Love but the music video version.

Comment

• Originally posted by MIMIxAyu
                                                  ^
                                                  I've been following her since then too!!! She's also one of my faves! I realized your avi before but never mentions it. ^^ They said she sampled All Is Full Of Love for Love Is Dead and I kinda hear the similarities or am I crazy? :-? oh also not the album version for All Is Full Of Love but the music video version.
                                                  She sampled "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" by Rose Royce, but maybe "All Is Full Of Love" was an inspiration as well, it wouldn't surprise me and there are really some similarities

Really glad to know i'm not the only one here who loves her

Comment

^
                                                    She sampled "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" by Rose Royce, but maybe "All Is Full Of Love" was an inspiration as well, it wouldn't surprise me and there are really some similarities

Really glad to know i'm not the only one here who loves her
                                                    Oh really? I didn't know that! I always thought the way she sang that line is how Björk sings All Is Full Of Love in the bridge. Two lovely artist I swear I love both Björk and her!

I'm also glad! A lot of people I know don't know her, but when I showed everyone I know the Love Is Dead album they fell in love with it immediately! It's funny how my sis prefers Utopia more while I prefer Love Is Dead.

Comment

• Where is the video at 3:59 from?
                                                      http://youtu.be/sCN628VWkEI?t=3m59s
                                                      last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by Chun
                                                        Where is the video at 3:59 from?
                                                        http://youtu.be/sCN628VWkEI?t=3m59s
                                                        The one at exactly 3:59 is Possibly Maybe from Post

Comment

• the new book is available for pre-order (Amazon)

It is available at the MOMA giftshop right now

Comment

• Is there anyone else besides me who really liked Biophilia? Not as good as her first four albums, but as I've loved Vulnicura, it's also gotten me to listen to the last one as well again. And while some of the lyrics were too abstract, which was so nice to hear her singing personal lyrics on the new one. I generally loved most of the era, the production, the songs, etc... Much better than Volta IMO
                                                            My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingFails
                                                              Is there anyone else besides me who really liked Biophilia? Not as good as her first four albums, but as I've loved Vulnicura, it's also gotten me to listen to the last one as well again. And while some of the lyrics were too abstract, which was so nice to hear her singing personal lyrics on the new one. I generally loved most of the era, the production, the songs, etc... Much better than Volta IMO
                                                              I LOVE Biophillia.
                                                              I love the concept and I think the imagery was the best shes even delivered. I think the whole thing was very creative and innovative. TO me it was her most experimental simply because the time signatures were so strangely done. Its one of the challenging records to get into but I think it has a lot of layers to look through. For me it would rank fourth or fifth. I'm actually a little surprised that Vulnicura has been so critically acclaimed. Im glad though. I think its one of her best but I need more time with it.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X