• KEY9481
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
    I blame one person and her name starts with B and ends with eyoncé
    Hmmm can't figure out who it could be

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    There have been rumors from day 1 that her contract included curating a soundtrack like Back Panther...It was also promoted via ABC and GMA which is affiliated to Disney. I mean I get why they went for Spirit in the disney movie and for the Oscar/GG theme but they were WRONG for thinking it could lead the Gift, let alone do anything on the charts. It's sad the Elton was in the credits with his terrible single so they could've included Find Your Way Back for example or Water and then drop Already as the lead with the video.

People like to forget about Spirit though that it was again a middle of the week release (wednesday) so big chunks of sales and inital streaming interest lost, then it was never included on TTH, dropped hard on streaming and then the video came 10 days later also in the middle of the week. Never send to radio until the Gift dropped. The launch was terrible for a disney releated track. There they got what they wanted: 98-OUT. I mean if a single is a hit it's a hit and climbs anyway but it could've had at least two weeks charting, UAC airplay and a much better peak.

I blame one person and her name starts with B and ends with eyoncé

Leave a comment:

• aang
    replied
    Also I'm not gonna lie, I actually haven't really checked out the full The Gift documentary special but I guess the whole project was kind of last-minute as in suddenly Beyonce was in the mood for making a Lion King-inspired album while she was recording the movie? Maybe that's why they didn't prepare a proper campaign & promotion for the whole era?

I believe the video for "Spirit" was also recorded only 1-2 weeks prior to the movie release if I could recall.

Leave a comment:

• aang
    replied
    Yeah basically just wanted to echo what everyone has said regarding The Gift. "Sprite" was basic as heck, and it did give the wrong impression of what the album really was. Also I do think the vocals were a bit too heavy for a commercial Pop song.

Had they released something like "Already" or "Water" as the lead, people would've realized that the album was not a basic Disney-sounding body of work. Even Kendrick released multiple songs leading to the soundtrack of Black Panther to tell people HERE! WE HAVE EVERYTHING! (the poppier-rap "All The Stars", the R&B/Pop "Pray For Me" & the straight up Hip-Hop "King's Dead").

Also agreed with Aaronsmithjune1 "Mood 4 Eva" would've done nothing on the charts. If "Shining" & "Top Off" didn't do anything with much bigger hype, why would you think people would like the former? And I do agree that the "Brown Skin Girl" flopping big time on Urban was very surprising although I think it could've done better if they had the video ready during its initial release. Or maybe they should've sent it to Urban AC instead where they're more open with ballads?

Leave a comment:

• Aaronsmithjune1
    replied
    Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
    The sound was perfect, the art direction was everything, the commercial handling was ridiculous.

Find Your Way Back
    MOOD4EVA
    Already
    Water
    My Power
    Brown Skin Girl

Those could have been big.
    But Spirit gave the wrong idea, GP had no clue about what was The Gift and paid no attention, Parkwood was too slow to capitalize on the incredible buzz BSG had...
    Mood4eva sat at the top of TTH and didn't do a thing. Lol.. Brown skin girl could've smashed if radio wasn't so racist. Even urban radio didn't support it. It was really strange considering
    ​​​how everyone​​​​ Loved it.. already could've probably been a little cute top 10

Leave a comment:

• KEY9481
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Omiros
    replied
    The annoying thing for me with Spirit is that it wasn't even implemented in the story. It was just a song in the background for 20 secs, so they could have chosen literally any song fron the album in its place.

If it was part of the story (i.e. Nala singing it) it would have surely performed better commercially as well.

My Power could have been an amazing moment in the film in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• KEY9481
    replied
    The initial video made me love Spirit, but if they wanted to go with a mid tempo / ballad type of song, Bigger would have made a far better job.

Leave a comment:

• Noahh
    replied
    Yeah, The Gift has so much potential and commercial appeal.
    Its visuals were out of this world.

Spirit definitely was the wrong song to start the era with. It was a very plain middle of the road song, while the album was packed with flavor, culture and interesting sounds.

Leave a comment:

• KEY9481
    replied
    The sound was perfect, the art direction was everything, the commercial handling was ridiculous.

Find Your Way Back
    MOOD4EVA
    Already
    Water
    My Power
    Brown Skin Girl

Those could have been big.
    But Spirit gave the wrong idea, GP had no clue about what was The Gift and paid no attention, Parkwood was too slow to capitalize on the incredible buzz BSG had...

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    I dont want to talk about The Gift because ift was literally killed by the way they handled it and I'll get mad....imagine the vicusal album on time and a proper single with video beforehand. Already, Water and Find Your Way Back all had potential, even My Power and Brown Skin Girl. I mean I don't expect that album to have 2m sales for what it is but she has had a lot of bangers on there.

Leave a comment:

• DC34ever
    replied
    Originally posted by Beyon View Post
    8. Water but extended and add a bridge
    this would be a MONSTER

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    I would only handle one era differently and that's 'Dangerously In Love'. I remember how I bought the album back in the day expecting it to sound like 'Crazy In Love' and 'Baby Boy' and was sad to hear that it's full of midtempo soul songs. Considering this, I would've chosen one of the uptempo songs and only as like 3rd single.
    So maybe something like:
    1. That's How You Like It
    2. Be With You
    3. Baby Boy
    4. Dangerously In Love

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    1. Signs
    2. Upgrade U
    3. Scraed of Lonely but back then Radio feat. Lady Gargoyle
    4. End Of Time
    5. Mine
    6. 6INCH
    7. FRIENDS
    8. Find Your Way Back and Water

Leave a comment:

• Omiros
    replied
    After Mood 4 Ever she should have released an extended remix of Water (feat. Rihanna)

Leave a comment:

• Beyon
    replied
    1. Hip hop star/be with you
    2. Upgrade U
    3. Hello/Radio
    4. End of time/ I care
    5. Haunted
    6. 6 inch/Daddy Lessons
    7. Summer
    8. Water but extended and add a bridge

Leave a comment:

• KEY9481
    replied
    Looking at your lists, I had to revisit Scared of Lonely.
    I swear the studio version does not make justice to that song.

My first Beyoncé concert and that moment had me bawling so hard. What a rework!!

Leave a comment:

• Artoo
    replied
    Her missing singles are probably:

1. Dangerously In Love
    2. Suga Mama/Upgrade U
    3. Smash Into You
    4. End of Time
    5. Blow
    6. 6 Inch
    7. MOOD 4 EVA

Leave a comment:

• Noahh
    replied
    For me it would be:

1: Be With You
    2: Suga Mama
    3: Scared of Lonely
    4: End of Time
    5: Jealous
    6: 6 Inch (feat. The Weeknd)
    7: Heard About Us
    8: Find Your Way Back

Leave a comment:

• Beyon
    replied
    6 inch is criminally underated
    could have been as big as partition
    (Let's ignore the fact that partition could have been a bigger hit also)

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Omiros
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BeeFan
    replied
    I am posetively surprised about the love for That‘s How You Like It... always felt people and Fans were too harsh on it

Leave a comment:

• Omiros
    replied
    Originally posted by Noahh View Post
    If you could name one song from each album that deserved a single treatment, which ones would you choose?
    - That's How You Like It
    - Upgrade U
    - Scared of Lonely
    - End of Time
    - Mine (feat. Drake)/Standing On The Sun
    - 6 Inch (feat. The Weeknd)
    - Black Effect (The Carters
    - Before I Let Go (Homecoming)
    - MOOD 4 EVA (The Gift)

Plus any actual single after Best Thing I Never Had, because we all know that's the last one that got a push

The wasted hit potential in that list is actually so sad...

Leave a comment:

• Aaronsmithjune1
    replied
    abi kelly really did slide on Bad habit

Leave a comment:

Working...
X