Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^That's your point. Clearly, the world don't thinks like you lol

Comment

• Well nothing of the sort happened before or since, so yeah we can actually believe that she didn't know.

I can respect your opinion, I don't agree with it at all and I'm entitled to think it's bullshit. I do appreciate the discussion though.
      "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• Originally posted by hugo
        Well nothing of the sort happened before or since, so yeah we can actually believe that she didn't know.

I can respect your opinion, I don't agree with it at all and I'm entitled to think it's bullshit. I do appreciate the discussion.

Then at least engage in it! Saying an opinion is wrong I'd fine, but back up with some sort of contribution that continues the debate and justifies your disagreement. Otherwise it's almost like throwing your dummy out and stamping your foot in defiance.
        Buy Girls. Bye Boys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speechless
          ^That's your point. Clearly, the world don't thinks like you lol

Based on tonight's big brother result, the world does not think like me
          Buy Girls. Bye Boys.

Comment

• I understand that a Madonna fan don't want another popstar influences more than her in these years, though

Comment

• Lol Her influence is so obvious and apparent to me that it feels strange that someone would question it, how can you miss the facts?

^^ I do think that's the issue here lol. Don't worry menine123 "there's place for more than one Queen, Queen of England, Queen of hearts, Queen B".

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123
                and Beyonce's 'message' has always been about female empowerment, something that I don't think she ever fully communicated well, originate or stick with.
                I don't buy this either. It's some kind of easy message to deliver. It seems like if you're singing about sex, either you're a whore or a feminist. I mean, it's 2014, move on!

Comment

I understand that a Madonna fan don't want another popstar influences more than her in these years, though
                  Sorry but Beyonce is the second best performer I've ever seen (after Madonna). I was lucky enough to see Beyonce front row, sing a bit of Hello with her, and appreciate her fully as a popstar. Being a Madonna fan has nothing to do with my opinion of Beyonce.

My point stems from the fact that to be influential, you must have contributed something significantly different to culture to have influenced culture. No one has yet to dispute my claim that Beyonce has done so recently, as I believe she hasn't since Single Ladies. Please show me something, and we'll continue from there.

However if we were discussing the fact that Beyonce COULD influence people IF she wanted to due to the size of her current stardom, that's entirely different. She has the ability to influence culture, but she doesn't.

For her to be labelled as the most influential, there must be some form of measurement, some tangible achievement to back this up. As I've already pointed out, she hasn't started a new fashion trend, she hasn't started any new music trends, and she hasn't publicly stated any opinions on the world stage. Therefore how has she influenced culture?
                  Buy Girls. Bye Boys.

Comment

• I could (re)post here hundreds of examples, from iconic performances to statements from musical acts of various genres that you probably wouldn't change your mind about it so why bother? I have things to see and people to do.

Comment

• Even the own Madonna called her 'Queen B'.
                      Probably, before Bey, Madonna thought that she was the only 'Queen' in the pop culture

Comment

• Originally posted by Wardo
                        Originally posted by menime123
                        and Beyonce's 'message' has always been about female empowerment, something that I don't think she ever fully communicated well, originate or stick with.
                        I don't buy this either. It's some kind of easy message to deliver. It seems like if you're singing about sex, either you're a whore or a feminist. I mean, it's 2014, move on!

You miss my point. Beyonce had always stood for female empowerment, right the way back to Independent Woman. She has an all female band, writes songs that have feminist tendencies, and has continued this theme throughout her career, up to and including her recent album.

It's nothing to do with being a whore or a feminist, although I do believe you can be both quite comfortably.

But Beyonce IS a feminist. She publicly dismisses the the idea of gender equality, but at the same time is happy to name her show 'Mrs. Carter', put her career on hold for her family (note that her husband did not), and it's little things like this that send out mixed messages - and why I don't think her message has been communicated all that well.

Why is she encouraging the world to know her as Jay Z's wife? Why must she label herself Mrs. Carter? How can she talk about equality when she gives her name - her identity - away so freely to a member of the opposite sex? Why must she make that commitment and not he?

It'll be these questions that will be discussed on the university course, as Beyonce has a lot of feminist traits in her public persona, but a wealth of personal actions (that have seeped into her career) that contradicts her public persona.
                        Buy Girls. Bye Boys.

Comment

• The expression "to pull a Beyoncé" should serve as one of the most recent examples of her impact on pop culture.
                          Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• Originally posted by SawyerHewitt
                            The expression "to pull a Beyoncé" should serve as one of the most recent examples of her impact on pop culture.
                            But it's theoretical - no one else's has pulled one since.
                            Buy Girls. Bye Boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Wardo

You miss my point. Beyonce had always stood for female empowerment, right the way back to Independent Woman. She has an all female band, writes songs that have feminist tendencies, and has continued this theme throughout her career, up to and including her recent album.

It's nothing to do with being a whore or a feminist, although I do believe you can be both quite comfortably.

But Beyonce IS a feminist. She publicly dismisses the the idea of gender equality, but at the same time is happy to name her show 'Mrs. Carter', put her career on hold for her family (note that her husband did not), and it's little things like this that send out mixed messages - and why I don't think her message has been communicated all that well.

Why is she encouraging the world to know her as Jay Z's wife? Why must she label herself Mrs. Carter? How can she talk about equality when she gives her name - her identity - away so freely to a member of the opposite sex? Why must she make that commitment and not he?

It'll be these questions that will be discussed on the university course, as Beyonce has a lot of feminist traits in her public persona, but a wealth of personal actions (that have seeped into her career) that contradicts her public persona.
                              See, there's a lot to discuss, you should enrol yourself in a Beyoncé course

Comment

Originally posted by SawyerHewitt
                                The expression "to pull a Beyoncé" should serve as one of the most recent examples of her impact on pop culture.
                                Every artist who has been rumoured to has been compared to Beyoncé, though.
                                All the blogs, Billboard have used the expression to label that specific strategy.

So it's comprehensible no-one has dared yet, just 'cause of the eternal comparison to come and the excellent results Beyoncé's strategy's had, not everyone might be able to pull the same numbers. They gotta take the risk.
                                That's my opinion.
                                Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

Originally posted by SawyerHewitt
                                  Because Beyonce is one of the only artists in the world who is influential enough to pull a now called Beyonce.

There was an article a few months back from Billboard of other acts who have pulled a Beyonce as Billboard also put it, yet they had nowhere near the impact Beyonce had because they don't have the influence Beyonce has. You've just helped prove Beyonce's influence by saying no one else has been able to pull a Beyonce.
                                  Classics VS Future Classics Survivor

Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Wardo

See, there's a lot to discuss, you should enrol yourself in a Beyoncé course
                                    Nah, my heart lies in Madonna Studies - an actual field of theories surrounding Madonna's career and impact. Seriously, my book will be ready to go once she's hung up her disco shoes and waved bye bye.
                                    Buy Girls. Bye Boys.

Comment

Nah, my heart lies in Madonna Studies - an actual field of theories surrounding Madonna's career and impact. Seriously, my book will be ready to go once she's hung up her disco shoes and waved bye bye.
                                      Well, like Theoretical Physics that area hasn't seen new developments in years j/k

Comment

Well, like Theoretical Physics that area hasn't seen new developments in years j/k

Theoretical physics has made leaps and bounds this year alone, with some of the biggest theories having been proved correct this year!
                                        Buy Girls. Bye Boys.

Comment

Originally posted by hugo

Theoretical physics has made leaps and bounds this year alone, with some of the biggest theories having been proved correct this year!
                                          welp

Comment

• menime please, 'BEYONCE' is already one of the most iconic albums of the last years! Her impact is undeniable

Comment

menime please, 'BEYONCE' is already one of the most iconic albums of the last years! Her impact is undeniable

Except on the singles chart
                                              Buy Girls. Bye Boys.

Comment

• If you don't think Beyoncé isn't influental enough, why are you still in her thread? Her performances, her work ethic has always influenced many stars. She's more influental than Madonna or any other big name these days.

- Single Ladies going viral
                                                - Most talked about/tweeted Super Bowl performance
                                                - A selling out recent tour without new material
                                                - Surprise release album that change the name and will be called as "Pulling a Beyoncé".

They're some of the recent things she's done and influenced younger generations. She earns good money without touring because she influences labels to work with her.
                                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Menime, you keep passing over what people are saying even though they are substantiating a valid argument. The magazines, the 'best album of 2013 inclusions', the 'beyonce is my icon and why I started singing' said by so many female artists, male artists and even indie acts, and yes the pull a Beyonce. No one can do it so recently as it's such a big ordeal whether the impact will be the same and then suffer the eternal comparison. The David Bowie argument is wack, you said he had a single out first and then surprised with an album. Beyonce dropped an album with no single, no press, NOTHING. Not even on a typical launch day.

I can understand it is hard to feel that 'the influence crown' is slipping from Madonna, but it has. She influenced so so much for so long but her recent outputs not including the superbowl era have done nothing but paint her as a bit weird especially her last musical outputs overly sexualised and a bit try hard uneccisary in the general public. Obviously her legacy is intact unless she does a Mariah or Britney.

Almost all black female 'rnb' singers that are primarily in America are all either in the shadow of or following the template of Beyonce. Even older stars I.e Tamar Braxton the 'diva' persona and how many people think of it is 'sasha fierce'. Point blank period, I really believe when most people see or hear the word diva (40 and under) they will think of beyonce first.
                                                  "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

Originally posted by Speechless
                                                    menime please, 'BEYONCE' is already one of the most iconic albums of the last years! Her impact is undeniable

Except on the singles chart
                                                    I'd rather sell albums than singles. That's where the real money is at
                                                    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Working...
                                                    X