Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Destiny's Child

Michelle is really milking their reunion
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Originally posted by Guru
      when Jesus say yes, nobody can say no
      Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

• [tweet:kfxh9ibv]https://twitter.com/KELLYROWLAND/status/991520364265136128[/tweet:kfxh9ibv]
        "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• Originally posted by Benjamin
          Originally posted by Guru
          when Jesus say yes, nobody can say no
          | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• Guys, I’ve come to the realisation that it’s not normal for a girl group, who has been inactive for 13 years, to have this major support today. For me, they make good music, with good beats, and their voices blend soulfully together. What’s your take on why they are so famous today? Minus the drama off course

Comment

It's simple, Beyoncé is larger than life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugo
                It's simple, Beyoncé is larger than life.
                I see what you mean

Comment

• [tweet:rk4scca5]https://twitter.com/usernamesssuck/status/997906605059510272[/tweet:rk4scca5]

Comment

• [youtube:l5wc9e5x]Gn98aKRWXBE[/youtube:l5wc9e5x]

Comment

• The 50 Greatest Deep Cuts of 1998: Critics' Picks

17. Destiny's Child feat. Pras, "Illusion" (Destiny's Child)

It's easy to forget that Destiny's Child broke through not because of Beyonce's diva-caliber belting skills, but because of her half-rapped, double-time rhymes on "No, No, No Pt. 2." The Pras collaboration "Illusion," from the group's self-titled debut, took that same energy and Beyonce's motormouth delivery, but it outfitted them with a sweeter, stronger hook melody -- borrowed from Isaac Hayes' "Hung Up On My Baby," via "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" from fellow H-Towners the Geto Boys -- and (surprise!) actual contributions from the other members: that's Kelly Rowland on the first verse, and LaTavia Roberson coming through with a rapped bridge. -- N.F.

Comment

• That song is so good!

[youtube:ee4d4i2h]8i8NchX0pWk[/youtube:ee4d4i2h]

Comment

• The 98 Best Songs of 1998: Pop's Weirdest Year

45. Destiny's Child, "No, No, No (Pt. 2)"

Imagine – the first time the world ever got to hear the magic voices of LeToya and LeTavia! OK, so even at the start, one member of this girl group was slightly more equal than the others. "No, No, No" was the first Destiny's Child hit, breaking at Top 40 radio when they were still packaged as Wyclef's latest protegées. In the immortal words of Ed McMahon on Star Search, "Your challengers are a young group from Houston." Hearing it now means going back in time to a moment when this was the only Beyoncé song any of us had heard – but it was already obvious she had hot sauce in her bag, and "No, No, No" hit Number Three on the pop charts. She woke up like this.

Comment

• [tweet:dq5r3pt9]https://twitter.com/chris_hanna/status/1004413935079043074[/tweet:dq5r3pt9]

Comment

• [tweet:3jipcaww]https://twitter.com/extratv/status/1012113748155293696[/tweet:3jipcaww]
                              Whitney Houston

Comment

Yasssss congrats 'Toya.

Now 'Chelle is the only DC member without a child (which may not be for too much longer considering she is recently engaged).
                                Originally posted by snoh aalegra

- Ugh, those feels again

Comment

• [youtube:1wihdph2]WNkck6DFpE0[/youtube:1wihdph2]

Whatever happened to these flops?

Comment

If Kween hadn’t made the biggest comeback since Jesus that year, 1 Thing would have been the ratchet anthem of 2005. Let’s not.
                                    Originally posted by beredy
                                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Flops? Only flop I saw was Teairra.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guru
                                        Guys, I’ve come to the realisation that it’s not normal for a girl group, who has been inactive for 13 years, to have this major support today. For me, they make good music, with good beats, and their voices blend soulfully together. What’s your take on why they are so famous today? Minus the drama off course
                                        The answer is so obvious, it’s called the Beyoncé factor. If she was not as successful as she is, the hype surrounding Destiny’s Child would not be the same. She made the group and is still a huge star. The other members have had some success but nothing major that makes them standout among their peers.

Comment

Oh

Comment

Now when I look back, I hate how things were don't with this group. There should have not been a lead singer. Maybe a lead member (like the Temptations), but not lead singer.

I also think DC3 would have been perfect with Bey, Kelly, and Letoya.
                                            Diva!!!

Comment

I love me some DC, but Beyoncé solo from 1997 would've killed some careers waaaay faster.

Comment

• The Story of Girl Groups in 45 Songs

Destiny’s Child
                                                “Bills, Bills, Bills”
                                                Destiny’s Child came from the girl group tradition: They studied Supremes videos as kids, wore coordinating outfits, and harmonized beautifully. Yet despite the well-mannered Christian image that they’d scrupulously built up in their earliest years, their first global hit, “Bills, Bills, Bills” (from The Writing’s on the Wall), was a gloves-off line in the sand. Beyoncé Knowles and Kelly Rowland sound so tough and shrewd on the verses, like private detectives uncovering the many ways this scrub is taking more than he deserves: using their car and not filling up the tank, making long distance calls on their phone, basically stealing their money. With LeToya Luckett and LaTavia Roberson on the chorus, “Bills, Bills, Bills” is a hard, halting stop-hand in that guy’s face. It seems to acknowledge the extra labor—in the lyrics, her bills are really his expenses—that women are constantly called upon to deliver.

“Bills, Bills, Bills” was meant to be a call for equity in relationships, but Beyoncé felt the narrative didn’t quite land: “That song was misunderstood,” she told the Observer in 2003. “The chorus is so big that people didn’t hear those words [on the verses]—they thought we were being gold-diggers. That frustrated me.” Beyoncé wrote “Independent Women, Pt. 1,” off 2001’s Survivor, to spell her point out clearer (“always 50-50 in relationships”). “Bills, Bills, Bills” was the genesis of Destiny’s Child and and Beyoncé’s revolutionary themes of female empowerment, and it was fun as hell. In 2014, Beyoncé lit up “FEMINIST” on the big screen; “Bills, Bills, Bills” was the first spark. –Jenn Pelly
                                                The Story of Girl Groups in 45 Songs

Destiny’s Child
                                                “Bootylicious”
                                                In 2001, as Destiny’s Child settled into its classic Beyoncé-Kelly-Michelle lineup, they dropped their third album, Survivor, with three bold singles back-to-back. First came “Independent Women, Pt. I,” the commercial smash that furthered their banner of financial autonomy; then “Survivor,” a booming victory lap to quiet those pesky hiring-and-firing rumors; and, finally, “Bootylicious,” the “Edge of Seventeen”-sampling funk banger about loving your jelly like your name’s peanut butter. Out of these, “Bootylicious” seemed the most frivolous upon release but, over time, the song has stood out as a turning point in body-positive pop.

Watching the “Bootylicious” video now, all three Destiny’s members look slim, just like all but two of their dancers. But in this era that preceded Dove “real beauty” ads and Kardashian body goals, when Jennifer Lopez and Beyoncé were considered “curvy,” the mere association of hips and thighs with self-love was a revelation in mainstream (i.e., white) pop. Utilizing the intoxicating riff of Stevie Nicks’ original song to build anticipation throughout the track, the trio—and Beyoncé, in particular—showed off their sexier sides and spread a beauty ideal more common among women of color. The world has since caught up somewhat to Destiny’s Child’s pro-thickness message, but never again has this been echoed in a girl group hit. Fittingly, given its unprecedented nature, “Bootylicious” was also the last No. 1 hit by a girl group to date. –Jillian Mapes

Comment

I think many of their singles did not age well. Personal opinion of course.
                                                  Independent Women, Bills Bills Bills, Bug-a-boo, Lose My Breath, Jumpin Jumpin...
                                                  But Say My Name is a true classic. Their best single imo.
                                                  Diva!!!

Comment

For me their singles aged Well, Maybe I am a bit too biased, but I still play their music a lot

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan
                                                      Independent Women, Bills Bills Bills, Bug-a-boo, Lose My Breath, Jumpin Jumpin...

Product of the era they started out in - a lot of stuff sounds dated from the late 90s now.
                                                      Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123
                                                        Originally posted by TIfan

Product of the era they started out in - a lot of stuff sounds dated from the late 90s now.
                                                        I agree. Many of their late 90's/early 00's singles sound very... well, late 90's/early 00's. That particular era of music had a quite distinct sound that sound dated today (basically most of Destiny's Child, TLC, N*SYNC, Britney, Christina & Usher's early stuff).

I'd say most of the R&B stuff from Destiny Fulfilled aged really, really well though.

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan
                                                          +1

Their music was very of its time. I think a lot of current hits will sound dated soon too
                                                          Floped and localed

Comment

Do y’all still play their singles that didn’t “age well”? Serious question because if the answer is yes... it doesn’t really matter how they aged

Comment

• Well, I personally think the only album that has aged badly is Survivor. But even that one I still play sometimes. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, but on the other hand, I've never been a "trendy" person. I like what I like and it usually remains that way. I guess for me personally everything I like has at least a little bit of "timeless" quality to it.
                                                              Further proven in that I frequently discover albums from yesteryear and play the sh*t out of them while the general public has gotten over them a long time ago. The rest of the world comes across as very fickle to me.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X