Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tori Amos

Made one for Jewel so why not Tori?

Extremely talented and insane Singer/Songwriter. For those who don't know her - you must check herout.

For those who do - thoughts?
    These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART

Amazing! She is another one of my favourites, when I listen to her she brings me deeply into her songs, so immersive and her voice is so so incredible! Who couldn't love her? :-?

I can't decide what my favourite album is from, they all have something special!
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

She's one of the most talented singers-songwriters EVER. I love her albums. A L L of them!
      Haven't been early since '88

Comment

Really... all? Even the last one?

My CHART

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger
          Really... all? Even the last one?
          U mean the great Christmas album? Of course I like it!

My favorites:
          1. Scarlet's Walk
          2. Boys For Pele
          3. Little Earthquakes
          4. From the choirgirl hotel
          5. Under the pink
          7. American Doll Pose
          8. Abnormally Attracted to Sin

I don't really like The Beekeeper

Comment

I was with my friends last night at a houseparty and we were watching VH1 Classics when suddenly 'Professional Widow' came on. What a fantastic song and video!

I have much love for Tori. It's a crime shame she's not as mainstream anymore. Or, better said that she's not so out there anymore. She seems to be forgotten. It's her own fault though, as she barely releases singles and videos anymore. Or does promo. It's a shame.

My favorite albums are 'From The Choirgirl Hotel' and 'Scarlet's Walk'. Two album in her discography that I'd describe as 'chocolate' and 'vanilla'. While FTCH is dark, edgy and raw, SW is bright, mellow and happy. I love them.
            Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

IMO SW is mellow but not happy For me it's melancholic and sad.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsky
                I agree the lyrics are far from happy on most songs lol. Maybe I should've sais 'calm' instead of 'happy'. Calm and relaxing.
                Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

Originally posted by BanZai
                  Originally posted by mattsky
                  I agree the lyrics are far from happy on most songs lol. Maybe I should've sais 'calm' instead of 'happy'. Calm and relaxing.
                  Calm and relaxing?
                  Now I agree
                  It's such an amazing album, really, so touching!

Comment

Scarlet's Walk is her best album by far. I am surprised and pleased that that's agreed on

My CHART

Comment

I've been playing Tori's music all day today. This woman is a lyrical genius. Every song has a story, has emotion. Most of the time I don't have a clue what she's singing about. Like her lyrics are little riddles. Sometimes they're so vague and abstract. She should write a book, seriously. A novel. Her imagination seems endless.

I can't believe how underrated she is.
                      Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

I know every song inside out, Tori is one of my top 3 artists! We have experienced alot together, a big inspiration!

Actually, yes her lyrics are challening, but I dont think she wants them to have direct message or purpose, allowing the listener to create it's own picture. She is teaching us how to think creativetly
                        Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
                        and you are no exception

Comment

I only have "From the Choirgirl Hotel", her other albums sounded boring to me from the snippets, I might cherry-pick some of the songs though
                          I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Comment

www.hereinmyhead.com has Tori quotes on every song she's written... you can really get what she wants to say on all of them and it adds more depth

My CHART

Comment

THANKS!
                              Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

A SORTA FAIRYTALE

A SORTA FAIRYTALE finds Scarlet back in LA with a man she has convinced herself is her life's soul mate. "They take the big trip in the classic car up the Pacific Coast highway and across the desert. But as they go on, the masks drop away and they discover the fantasy they have of each other isn't who they really are." They end up back where they started and Scarlet leaves. "They did care. But somehow they lost each other. Which is why it's only A Sorta Fairytale..."

-- Scarlet's Walk bio
                                That's what Tori had to say about the meaning of 'A Sorta Fairytale'.

I find her explanation of the lyrics very interesting. 'ASF' is my favorite Tori Amos song, it really touches me. I never really 'understood' the lyrics, because (as said before) she doesn't want her songs to have a direct message or purpose.

She says the song is about a couple that takes a trip accross the desert (that's pretty specific btw - it's a story), and during the trip they start to realize they've been living in this kind of fantasy. Very interesting, because I had a total different story in my head. I think more mirrored to my own situation/story.

I thought the song was about two lovers who were seperated from each other, because the relationship didn't work out. Mainly because the other person wasn't ready to handle it. It gave me the feeling that the couple had tried, very hard, but that they couldn't fix it, although they both know it was true love.

Tori sings: 'I rode along side 'till you lost me there in the open road. I rode alongside 'till the honey spread itself so thin for me to break your bread'. To me that felt like she stood by her man for such a long time, that she went to all the craziness, but that there came a point where it was all just too much.

"And I feel so sad, like a good book I can't put this day back". Like she can't forget about him, but that she know there's nothing much she can do, because it's not fixed.

"and i was talking to you, and i knew then it would be a life long thing
                                but i didn't know that we, we could break a silver lining"
                                . - As if she knew from day one they were meant to be together and that she never expected to end up like this. Seperated. That she didn't expect, eventhough the weird and complicated circumstances, that they wouldn't make it.

It's like she knows she can't change the situation, but still knows she's missing the love of her life. That she maybe wants to burn the bridges, but simply can't do that, because they've been connected to each other from day one. That she's going on with her life, and lives a happy one, but still knows it's kind of surreal without the other person in it. Like a sorta fairytale, but not really.

Like I said before, maybe I mirror my own situation to the lyrics, because I've been in a situation as desribed above for a very long time. Those lyrics make just perfect sense for me. That's why I find this song so special. The way it describes everything is so subtle, abstract and not so cliché. Listening to this song can make me both very happy or very sad. It's magical.
                                Big.Big.Booty.

Comment

One of the best artists around!

I thought she sort of went downhill on AATS, but Midwinter Grace was a good record.

Has anyone noticed she lost her edge though? Her material no longer has that raw and mysterious edge that was so strong on her first five albums. It really set her apart back then, she always had that sinister something.
                                  Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
                                  Follow me on Last.fm?

Comment

Originally posted by Cactuar
                                    One of the best artists around!

I thought she sort of went downhill on AATS, but Midwinter Grace was a good record.

Has anyone noticed she lost her edge though? Her material no longer has that raw and mysterious edge that was so strong on her first five albums. It really set her apart back then, she always had that sinister something.
                                    Exactly!! She makes good Singer/Songwriter songs but nothing cutting edge.

My CHART

Comment

Tiger, I think you're my favorite user here right now Jewel and Tori are easily among my all-time Top 5 favorite female artists! Actually, Tori might very well be considered the brightest female singer/songwriter for me

like mattsky, I also love all her albums, even the christmas one though I could never feel all the love for SW, but I do think "A Sorta Fairytale" it's one of her best songs, guess I just need to hear that one more frequently cuz I never really paid attention to that album. my favorite ones are LE, UTP and ADP. Cannot list my favorite songs, sorry, it would take too much time =P
                                      Me Facebook | Me LastFM

Comment

So, what do you guys think about this album?
                                        I've been listening to it 3 times with a friend I'm visiting over the weekend. And I get the feeling that I have not given it an honest proper chance.

I dont have the time now to write about what I've discovered with this album, will do that later (and will also answer to the allegation about Tori Amos not being cutting edge, which I definietly dont agree with). All I can say for now is that The Beekeeper is a genuine Amos record.

Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
                                        and you are no exception

Comment

"Under The Pink" is one of the greatest albums of all time for me. I bought it way back while "Past The Mission" was charting and it was the album that introduced me to Tori. I bought "Little Earthquakes" (another great one although not as good as UTP) a month later. "Crucify" is one of the best songs of all time. The only other album of hers I own is "Under The Choirgirl Hotel" which I found underwhelming in comparison to the other two (although there are several gems in that one too). I still listen to her music online but I guess no album of hers moved me in the way those 2 first albums did and so I haven't actually bought anything else by her. Still though one of the greatest artists of the last 2 decades IMO
                                          jio CHARTS NOW:17/2/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...9#post10349779

Comment

Originally posted by Vindrag

So, what do you guys think about this album?
                                            I've been listening to it 3 times with a friend I'm visiting over the weekend. And I get the feeling that I have not given it an honest proper chance.

I dont have the time now to write about what I've discovered with this album, will do that later (and will also answer to the allegation about Tori Amos not being cutting edge, which I definietly dont agree with). All I can say for now is that The Beekeeper is a genuine Amos record.

It's amongst my faves, it's just so kooky!
                                            My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

I love The Beekeeper, it's a bit too syrupy in parts (Ribbons Undone, Ireland) but overall I really like the direction she went. It's the most solid of all her long albums.

The three singles, the title track, Parasol, The Power of Orange Knickers, Toast, Original Sinsuality are my favourites!

I see it as her last great album, as the ones following it although containing some very good pop songs were no longer very Tori. :(
                                              Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
                                              Follow me on Last.fm?

Comment

Tori is my fave solo artist. "Under the pink" is my fave album of all time. I own all her albums except "Strange little girl" (I don't like it) and love them all. My least fave album is probably AATS although it has some great tracks and reminds me of "The choirgirl hotel" in some parts. It has the same dark feel. I just can't listen to it from start to end.
                                                Toris songs leave much to ones own imagination and that's why I love them. I prefer her piano-based songs like the ones on her first three albums. She later went back to that sound with SW and TB.

BTW, I thought TB doesn't deserve all the critic it got amongst her fanbase. It's a warmer and happier record in some way and features some of Toris best vocals. I still listen to it very often.

My fave Tori songs are (no order):

Winter
                                                Precious things
                                                Crucify
                                                Silent all the years
                                                Pretty good year
                                                Past the mission
                                                Cornflake girl
                                                Icycle
                                                Clouds on my tongue
                                                Honey
                                                Father Lucifer
                                                Marianne
                                                Hey Jupiter
                                                Way down
                                                Spark
                                                Black dove (January)
                                                Lust
                                                Bliss
                                                Mary
                                                I can't see New York
                                                Gold dust
                                                A sorta fairytale
                                                Clouds
                                                Parasol
                                                The power of orange knickers
                                                Cars and guitars
                                                Witness
                                                Toast
                                                Bouncing off clouds
                                                Secret spell
                                                Code red
                                                Smokey Joe
                                                Curtain call
                                                Give
                                                And if I only could
                                                I'd make a deal with God
                                                And I'd get him to swap our places

(Kate Bush - Running up that hill)

Comment

Beekeeper, ADP and AATS are simply too long IMO

Comment

Working...
                                                  X