X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
    ^ I could never ever do a Michael Top 10[/I]
    It’s only my top ten today. Tomorrow it might change
    I said "Lily, Oh Lily I'm so afraid, I fear I am walking in the Veil of Darkness".
    And she said "Child, take what I say with a pinch of salt... and protect yourself with fire".

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• My MJ Top 10 today:

1 Will You Be There - album version
      2 Billie Jean
      3 Liberian Girl - not just because Debbie Gibson sings in the video
      4 Dirty Diana
      5 Keep The Faith - best album track
      6 They Don't Care About Us - original version
      7 Heal The World
      8 Thriller
      9 Beat It
      10 Just Good Friends - with Stevie Wonder
      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
        5 Keep The Faith - best album track
        My favourite MJ vocal - I love that ‘Got TUH keep the faith’ vocal towards the end.
        I said "Lily, Oh Lily I'm so afraid, I fear I am walking in the Veil of Darkness".
        And she said "Child, take what I say with a pinch of salt... and protect yourself with fire".

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• So, when Prince's Estate announced that they were going to release Welcome 2 America, a previously unreleased album that was scheduled to come out in 2011, I saw some of the comments on Twitter were from MJ fans asking MJ's Estate when they were going to release previously unreleased material. It has been a while. There was the special edition of the Bad album that had some unreleased stuff and then Drake got to use some unreleased MJ vocals for his Scorpion album but other than that, it's been crickets. Do you think there will be unreleased stuff coming down the road? This year would be the 30th anniversary of the Dangerous album, so that would be a good time to release some stuff.

Comment

• A member of his Estate is dead.

Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by Mugen View Post
              So, when Prince's Estate announced that they were going to release Welcome 2 America, a previously unreleased album that was scheduled to come out in 2011, I saw some of the comments on Twitter were from MJ fans asking MJ's Estate when they were going to release previously unreleased material. It has been a while. There was the special edition of the Bad album that had some unreleased stuff and then Drake got to use some unreleased MJ vocals for his Scorpion album but other than that, it's been crickets. Do you think there will be unreleased stuff coming down the road? This year would be the 30th anniversary of the Dangerous album, so that would be a good time to release some stuff.
              His estate said they were holding off releasing stuff, as they had released quite a bit - although whilst they maintain two posthumous albums have been released, it’s more like one and a half

Dangerous deserves an expanded release though. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• Would definitely love to see a Dangerous 30th Anniversary edition, or even just an Expanded edition.

Xscape was really great though!
                thank u, next

Comment

• They got huge backlash for years from fans after ignoring "Dangerous 25" completely so they better do something for its 30th anniversary. "HIStory 25" was also a complete joke but that’s was "due to the pandemic" of course.
                  Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

They got huge backlash for years from fans after ignoring "Dangerous 25" completely so they better do something for its 30th anniversary. "HIStory 25" was also a complete joke but that’s was "due to the pandemic" of course.
                    I would love a HIStory part 2 with another greatest hits package bundled with an album of demos from that time.

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• Why did MJ not include Scream on #1s release in 2003? He included You Rock My World & Break Of Dawn. I assume Scream although never reaching #1 was a bigger tune than Break Of Dawn.

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                        Why did MJ not include Scream on #1s release in 2003? He included You Rock My World & Break Of Dawn. I assume Scream although never reaching #1 was a bigger tune than Break Of Dawn.
                        Was it a #1? Break of Dawn was a lost single from Invincible because album politics (I think his label stopped releasing singles from it?), so I didn’t mind him spotlighting it.

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• Yeah "Break of Dawn" was included because Michael wanted it to be a single from "Invincible" but that didn’t happen because of his feud with the label.

Comment

• Michael became a joke after the 80s

Comment

• ^ I wanna be a joke like that then.

Comment

^ I wanna be a joke like that then.
                                After the 80s? I wouldn't the last 17 years of his life from 93-09 was horrible. The 70s and 80s were his prime

Comment

• Michael was great until 1993.

Invincible was an ok album that suffered from just too many songs. A tight ten track album would have been better. Something like this:
                                  1. Unbreakable (ft. Notorious B.I.G.)
                                  2. Heartbreaker
                                  3. Invincible
                                  4. Break Of Dawn
                                  5. Heaven Can Wait
                                  6. Butterflies
                                  7. The Way You Love Me
                                  8. Whatever Happens
                                  9. Speechless
                                  10. You Rock My World

Comment

Michael was great until 1993.

Invincible was an ok album that suffered from just too many songs. A tight ten track album would have been better. Something like this:
                                    1. Unbreakable (ft. Notorious B.I.G.)
                                    2. Heartbreaker
                                    3. Invincible
                                    4. Break Of Dawn
                                    5. Heaven Can Wait
                                    6. Butterflies
                                    7. The Way You Love Me
                                    8. Whatever Happens
                                    9. Speechless
                                    10. You Rock My World

I agree there’s a good album on Invincible. I think the bigger issue is MJ wasn’t bringing anything new to the table - he had done better versions of what he was trying to make and more importantly, other artists had built on his model and done better versions of what he was delivering.

20 years later I can forget all that, but at the time even with YRMW it felt like he was just treading the same ground. Sure, he had Marlon Brando in the video, but even that was a case of ‘Smooth criminal, again?’.

I’d also argue he was great until at least 1995 - HIStory is just as good a studio album as any that came before it.

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• Yes. But when you reach the heights he did, and very few do, is it acceptable to change your sound too much? People want the MJ that they knew and loved. He had the talent to do any genre of music but YRMW was his sound.

Comment

Yes. But when you reach the heights he did, and very few do, is it acceptable to change your sound too much? People want the MJ that they knew and loved. He had the talent to do any genre of music but YRMW was his sound.
                                        Madonna does.

Im not sure Invincible was the MJ people wanted. As I said, he had done the same before and done it much better. It was all very polished and slick, but there wasn’t anything on there that was destined to be a huge hit for him. Don’t mistake me, I really like Invincible, but it is a flawed record.

Also, YRMW was the wrong lead. Unbreakable should have been.

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• Yes exactly. That is why a more compact ten track album would have made each song seem rare and special. Bloating an album with 15+ songs just gives an album that is too basic and too fat.

Comment

• Also, the cover was terrible too - Sony didn’t like the original and gave us that crappy one we got.

Original:

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• I realize that "Invincible" is not on the same level as his previous five albums but I love that album and will defend it with my life. As I said before "Cry" might be my favorite MJ song ever.

Sometimes I also feel like the album is a bit too long but at the same time I'm not sure which songs I would cut. "Break of Dawn", "Heaven Can Wait", "You Are My Life" and "Don't Walk Away" maybe? I always felt like DWA sounded a bit too 90s boy group-y.

"Shout" deserved a spot on the album:

Comment

• I think that original cover looks worse. I would take the plain white version over this.

The album definitely should have had more singles. And well promoted singles. Part of me thinks if YRMW was more of an instant smash Sony would have no choice but to promote the album properly. If they smelt the money.

Comment

• Songs that could have definitely been left off:

privacy- too much of this same theme, and done better in previous incarnations.

Lost Children

2000watts- Doesn€™t even sound like him

You R My Life, DonΒ™t Walk Away- nice songs but drag the albums flow

threatened- too much of the same thing

Comment

• LOOOOL! How did HIStory get more votes than his 3 classic trilogy he did with Q? This must be a generational thing, I'm assuming those that love HIStory probably weren't alive when Michael was at his best in the 70s-80s.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X