No announcement yet.

Prince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today is the 35th anniversary of the Parade album being released(it was released in the UK/France a day later). A classic album, this was tied to the movie he was releasing at the time, Under the Cherry Moon but luckily, the album can stand on its own with being tied to that. This album saw Prince switch up his sound again, leaning on baroque pop. He also got Claire Fischer to do orchestration for the album, although he didn't end up using it. Of course, this is the album that has "Kiss" on it, which went to number 1 for him in the US and is probably his most famous song outside of "Purple Rain," "When Doves Cry" and "Little Red Corvette." This is also the album that did very well in European countries, moreso compared to the US. His Parade Tour went to different cities in Europe and Japan. He actually received criticism from moving away from R&B/Soul leaning more into pop. Here are the singles from the album:

"Kiss"

"Mountains"

"Girls & Boys"

"Anotherloverholenyohead"

Comment

• Prince's 1998 album, The Truth is being reissued for the first time on vinyl for Record Store Day 2021.

Comment

• on the cover of French Jazz Magazine (April 2021)

Comment

• Yesterday was the anniversary of For You

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
          See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Prince was a brilliant artist throughout the 80s. After that? Terrible

Comment

• Originally posted by JayCrawford1964 View Post
                  Prince was a brilliant artist throughout the 80s. After that? Terrible
                  Your opinion, but I disagree with it. He still made good music in the 90's up to his death, even if it wasn't up to his 80's output.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mugen View Post

Your opinion, but I disagree with it. He still made good music in the 90's up to his death, even if it wasn't up to his 80's output.
                    I mean... He had an amazing classic period of albums from Dirty Mind - SOTT which are considered some of the greatest work in music... Don't see the same regarding his post 80s era... Just saying.

Comment

• Yes, his run in the 80's is legendary, no doubt about it(for me personally, I would extend it to at least Lovesexy and Batman) but that's a hard thing to keep up. Anyway, while none of his albums post-80's are classics, he has a lot that range from good to very good. For me, the list is:

Diamonds and Pearls
                      The Love Symbol album
                      Come
                      The Gold Experience
                      Emancipation(it's too long but there's at least two discs worth of good music on there)
                      The Truth
                      Planet Earth
                      ArtOfficialAge
                      HitnRun Phase 2

Comment

• The thing with Prince is I always got the impression his commercial appeal was a complete accident. He just made the music he wanted and put it out and whatever happened, happened. He was definitely playing his own game.
                        I said "Lily, Oh Lily I'm so afraid, I fear I am walking in the Veil of Darkness".
                        And she said "Child, take what I say with a pinch of salt... and protect yourself with fire".

Kate Bush - Lily

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                          The thing with Prince is I always got the impression his commercial appeal was a complete accident. He just made the music he wanted and put it out and whatever happened, happened. He was definitely playing his own game.
                          Agreed. If he really was chasing success, he would have followed up Purple Rain with something similar rather than dropping Around the World in a Day.

He did do some albums with some commercial considerations(Batman, Diamonds and Pearls, Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic, Musicology) but he was also someone who would drop instrumental albums with no consideration for the charts.

Comment

• Prince was so bad after the 80s man lol, he should have retired after 1989.

Comment

• Where can I find his music in HI-Res audio? (as in better than CD quality )

Comment

• Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post
                                Where can I find his music in HI-Res audio? (as in better than CD quality )
                                TIDAL? They have hi-def audio.

Comment

• Today is the 5 year anniversary of Prince's untimely passing. Still miss him everyday.

Comment

• In celebrating of the estate partnering up with Paris Saint-Germain to release a exclusive 7'' single, the official YT channel has uploaded the 21 minute performance of his final concert in Paris at Le Zénith in 2014. This show was previously exclusive to TIDAL users.

Comment

Working...
                                    X