Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whitney Houston

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #26
    Originally posted by jio
    Originally posted by stevyy
    If I remember correctly, Whitney won a total of 7 Grammys in her career. I can't understand why Whitney, Mariah, basically also Madonna and Celine have all won so few of these, when they were the best of the best in many categories over the majority of their careers.
    That's because back then the grammys were rewarding artistic value rather than popularity... and although all of those stars had artistic value of course, they could always find some less popular act which was really setting trends and award it. Which is what the grammys should be all about really.

    Nowadays the grammys are just a joke, they just award the most popular acts.
    This I do agree with, but I also agree with Stevvys orignal point that the four females should've won more than they have done

    Comment


    • #27
      Originally posted by 04wayne
      Originally posted by jio
      Originally posted by stevyy
      If I remember correctly, Whitney won a total of 7 Grammys in her career. I can't understand why Whitney, Mariah, basically also Madonna and Celine have all won so few of these, when they were the best of the best in many categories over the majority of their careers.
      That's because back then the grammys were rewarding artistic value rather than popularity... and although all of those stars had artistic value of course, they could always find some less popular act which was really setting trends and award it. Which is what the grammys should be all about really.

      Nowadays the grammys are just a joke, they just award the most popular acts.
      This I do agree with, but I also agree with Stevvys orignal point that the four females should've won more than they have done
      Yeah they should have but not by much, award shows should be a way to promote new more obscure acts who do something really interesting and exciting. But yeah Beyonce should probably have about 15 grammys less lol
      jio CHARTS NOW:18/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

      Comment


      • #28
        If Grammys are really that irrelevant nowadays, why do you guys care so much?
        "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

        Comment


        • #29
          Originally posted by hugom2c
          If Grammys are really that irrelevant nowadays, why do you guys care so much?
          Personally I haven't watch them for over a decade... talking about them doesn't mean we care about them that much, it just means that we are commenting on what is a part of popular culture
          jio CHARTS NOW:18/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

          Comment


          • #30
            Originally posted by jio
            Personally I haven't watch them for over a decade... talking about them doesn't mean we care about them that much, it just means that we are commenting on what is a part of popular culture
            But why always demerit Beyoncé's sucess? IMO she's actually a great role model (you don't see her name on the tabloids unlike Whitney) and she's very talented...

            Instead you should worry that acts like BEP already have 6 grammys making crap music like IGAF :-?
            "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

            Comment


            • #31
              Originally posted by hugom2c
              Originally posted by jio
              Personally I haven't watch them for over a decade... talking about them doesn't mean we care about them that much, it just means that we are commenting on what is a part of popular culture
              But why always demerit Beyoncé's sucess? IMO she's actually a great role model (you don't see her name on the tabloids unlike Whitney) and she's very talented...

              You should worry that acts like BEP already have 6 grammys making crap music like IGAF :-?
              Well because her total amount of grammys won is the best example of what a joke the grammys have began. Whether she is good or not is a matter of personal taste, but to have won more than double the amount of grammys of any other female (I think) is just a joke looking at it objectively
              jio CHARTS NOW:18/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

              Comment


              • #32
                Originally posted by jio
                Well because her total amount of grammys won is the best example of what a joke the grammys have began. Whether she is good or not is a matter of personal taste, but to have won more than double the amount of grammys of any other female (I think) is just a joke looking at it objectively
                What are the awards that she won that you consider undeserving?

                So, in your opinion the Grammys shouldn't award Beyoncé with that last award, 'cause she would break the previous record? That really doesn't make any sense! If she really deserves to win, they must give her the award. Who cares about the other females??
                "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

                Comment


                • #33
                  Aretha has won 15 grammys hasn't she? But still, Beyonce winning 16 is a joke indeed

                  Comment


                  • #34
                    Too bad for you guys, your joke will keep on winning them
                    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

                    Comment


                    • #35
                      Originally posted by 04wayne
                      Aretha has won 15 grammys hasn't she? But still, Beyonce winning 16 is a joke indeed
                      I agree with this. Beyoncé is surely talented and a great artist, no one doubts that, but we also know that her Grammys are just too much and undeserved, even some of her fans admit it. At the same time she doesn't even have a proper signature song to begin with as Celine has "My Heart Will Go On", Mariah's "Hero", Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" or Madonna's "Like A Prayer". I don't doubt she still has many years in the industry and the potential for that, but 16 Grammys are something to laugh at. It's like winning Moon mans now.

                      Comment


                      • #36
                        Originally posted by Loverboy
                        At the same time she doesn't even have a proper signature song to begin with
                        She has plenty of them
                        "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

                        Comment


                        • #37
                          16 now, what's the betting that by 2020 (subject to the Earth not being destroyed by the sun ) she will have 30 grammys

                          Comment


                          • #38
                            Originally posted by hugom2c
                            Originally posted by Loverboy
                            At the same time she doesn't even have a proper signature song to begin with
                            She has plenty of them
                            Like? She has very popular song, not timeless classics as the ones mentioned above.

                            Comment


                            • #39
                              Originally posted by Loverboy
                              Originally posted by hugom2c
                              Originally posted by Loverboy
                              At the same time she doesn't even have a proper signature song to begin with
                              She has plenty of them
                              Like? She has very popular song, not timeless classics as the ones mentioned above.
                              She's not 40 like Mariah, only time will tell Hopefully she'll have more than 5 signature songs just like Michael Jackson
                              "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

                              Comment


                              • #40
                                Originally posted by hugom2c
                                Originally posted by Loverboy
                                Originally posted by hugom2c
                                Originally posted by Loverboy
                                At the same time she doesn't even have a proper signature song to begin with
                                She has plenty of them
                                Like? She has very popular song, not timeless classics as the ones mentioned above.
                                She's not 40 like Mariah, only time will tell Hopefully she'll have more than 5 signature songs just like Michael Jackson
                                If I'm not wrong Beyoncé is 29 now. All Mariah's signature songs, just to put in perspective (excluding "We Belong Together", if you even count that) are all between 1990-1998 (she had 28 in 1998). But as I pointed, Beyoncé totally has the potential to create something that does stand the test of time. I think it will be a ballad with huge vocals.

                                Comment


                                • #41
                                  Yep Celine to was 29 or earlier when she recorded her signature songs.

                                  Anyway, this is Whitneys topic. Yay Whitney lol

                                  Comment


                                  • #42
                                    Originally posted by Loverboy
                                    I think it will be a ballad with huge vocals.
                                    She already did that with "Listen" that imo is as known worldwide as any Mariah Carey signature songs... Singing competition contests prove that

                                    Love whitney!!!
                                    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

                                    Comment


                                    • #43
                                      Originally posted by hugom2c
                                      Originally posted by Loverboy
                                      I think it will be a ballad with huge vocals.
                                      She already did that with "Listen" that imo is as known worldwide as any Mariah Carey signature songs... Singing competition contests prove that
                                      LOL wrong on so many levels, and so very untrue

                                      Comment


                                      • #44
                                        Originally posted by hugom2c
                                        Originally posted by Loverboy
                                        I think it will be a ballad with huge vocals.
                                        She already did that with "Listen" that imo is as known worldwide as any Mariah Carey signature songs... Singing competition contests prove that
                                        Hmmm, no

                                        In some years you will understand what I mean.

                                        Comment


                                        • #45
                                          Her 16 grammis are valid because she is one of the best if not the best Contemp r'n'b female in the last 20 years.
                                          Forever Young

                                          Comment


                                          • #46
                                            Originally posted by Loveguru
                                            Her 16 grammis are valid because she is one of the best if not the best Contemp r'n'b female in the last 20 years.
                                            So you are trying to say that she deserved 16 grammys and Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Bjork, Tori, Janet, Kate Bush, Donna Summer, Aretha Franklin, Tracy, Cyndi, Cher, Tina, Diana, Barbra, Dolly, Debbie Harry, Brandy, Aaliyah, Mary J., Alicia, Janis and so many others didn't? I consider all those females better than Beyonce btw
                                            jio CHARTS NOW:18/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

                                            Comment


                                            • #47
                                              Originally posted by jio
                                              Originally posted by Loveguru
                                              Her 16 grammis are valid because she is one of the best if not the best Contemp r'n'b female in the last 20 years.
                                              So you are trying to say that she deserved 16 grammys and Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Bjork, Tori, Janet, Kate Bush, Donna Summer, Aretha Franklin, Tracy, Cyndi, Cher, Tina, Barbra, Dolly, Debbie Harry, Brandy, Aaliyah, Mary J., Janis and so many others didn't? I consider all those females better than Beyonce btw
                                              No, the thing he's trying to say and you guys are so reluctant to understand is that Beyoncé's work was the best in each category she was nominated for the respective year ! That's simple.

                                              If others didn't win more awards, it's not Beyoncé's fault...

                                              Artists like Avril, Diana Ross and Bjork never won a Grammy. Britney spears won one in 2005. That doesn't mean Britney is superior to the former mentioned. It just means that Toxic was the best dance recording song in 2005. I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough btw is whitney preparing a new album?
                                              "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

                                              Comment


                                              • #48
                                                Originally posted by hugom2c
                                                Originally posted by jio
                                                Originally posted by Loveguru
                                                Her 16 grammis are valid because she is one of the best if not the best Contemp r'n'b female in the last 20 years.
                                                So you are trying to say that she deserved 16 grammys and Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Bjork, Tori, Janet, Kate Bush, Donna Summer, Aretha Franklin, Tracy, Cyndi, Cher, Tina, Barbra, Dolly, Debbie Harry, Brandy, Aaliyah, Mary J., Janis and so many others didn't? I consider all those females better than Beyonce btw
                                                No, the thing he's trying to say and you guys are so reluctant to understand is that Beyoncé's work was the best in each category she was nominated for the respective year ! That's simple.

                                                If others didn't win more awards, it's not Beyoncé's fault...

                                                Artists like Avril, Diana Ross and Bjork never won a Grammy. Britney spears won one in 2005. That doesn't mean Britney is superior to those above mentioned. It just means that Toxic was the best dance recording song in 2005. I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough btw is whitney preparing a new album?
                                                If the grammys could not find any better artist or song or performance in at least two thirds of the awards she won, it means they didn't look hard enough. Dangerously In Love best contemporary R&B album? Really? Halo best R&B vocal? I mean come on
                                                jio CHARTS NOW:18/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

                                                Comment


                                                • #49
                                                  Originally posted by jio
                                                  If the grammys could not find any better artist or song or performance in at least two thirds of the awards she won, it means they didn't look hard enough. Dangerously In Love best contemporary R&B album? Really? Halo best R&B vocal? I mean come on
                                                  Now that is something I can accept. Cause you're giving your opinion in wich categories she shouldn't have won

                                                  Actually, I do agree with you (Halo pop vocal), IIWAB was a better contender and B'Day was very underrated.
                                                  "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #50
                                                    I think it's inappropriate to discuss beyonce's grammy wins in this thread.

                                                    Grammies are not a yardstick to measure an artist's impact/artistry or even quality of work and CERTAINLY NOT musicianship.
                                                    It's voted by a panel who obviously have different tastes.

                                                    That Beyonce is not the best female artist of all time(not yet anyway) proves to that effect.

                                                    It can be Aretha,Madonna,Mariah/Whitney/Celine/Barbra
                                                    depending on the various circles of music.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X