No announcement yet.

Whitney Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sooo much a fan of 80's Whitney, I have to admit. I wanna dance with somebody is my favourite song of hers from the 80's. (+ Didn't we almost have it all) But don't get me wrong, her 80's songs are amazing and are the basis of her status as an icon!

It's amazing how so many of the legendary 80's/90's divas had their creative peak in the '97-'98 range. (meaning My Love is your Love)
    My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy
      I'm not sooo much a fan of 80's Whitney, I have to admit. I wanna dance with somebody is my favourite song of hers from the 80's. (+ Didn't we almost have it all) But don't get me wrong, her 80's songs are amazing and are the basis of her status as an icon!

It's amazing how so many of the legendary 80's/90's divas had their creative peak in the '97-'98 range. (meaning My Love is your Love)
      so true, I loved her in the 80's but the stuff hasn't aged as well as My Love Is Your Love has, some of the ballads off the debut are embarrassing IMO (All At Once and Hold Me are two songs I didn't bother adding to my ipod when I put my collection on there). I remember a common opinion was that most people didn't want more power ballads, but another album in that vein.
      My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

Originally posted by NothingFails

so true, I loved her in the 80's but the stuff hasn't aged as well as My Love Is Your Love has, some of the ballads off the debut are embarrassing IMO (All At Once and Hold Me are two songs I didn't bother adding to my ipod when I put my collection on there). I remember a common opinion was that most people didn't want more power ballads, but another album in that vein.
        I think "All At Once" is an OK ballad, nothing spectacular but OK whereas ballads such as "You Give Good Love", "The Greatest Love Of All", " Saving All My Love For You" and "One Moment In Time" remain as good today as they were then. In terms of dance singles, "So Emotional" and "Love Will Save The Day" are my favourite from the '80s with special mention to "I'm Your Baby Tonight" (I know it was released in 1990 but it sounds very '80s).

I don't know about "My Love Is Your Love", I bought the album on the strength of the singles and I gave it away eventually because it was very much a singles+fillers album. Most of the singles from that album still sound good although I am tired of "It's Not Right" and "My Love Is Your Love" (the song), the rest are still fine to me.
        jio CHARTS NOW:29/6/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post10423855

Comment

Originally posted by jio
          with special mention to "I'm Your Baby Tonight" (I know it was released in 1990 but it sounds very '80s).
          yes, I'm your baby tonight is VERY great! This made me buy the album!
          My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by UKMusicLova
            I'd actually say that Beyoncé is more talented than the likes of Whitney, Mariah and Celine - she is a much more well-rounded act.

Anyway this topic is about Whitney Houston. She definitely had the best voice that ever existed (power, range, soul, personality) and she has influenced so many singers and will do so for a long long time.
            It's so subjective who is better.
            My friends would prefer Whitney and Celine over Beyonce.

Comment

Originally posted by jio
              with special mention to "I'm Your Baby Tonight" (I know it was released in 1990 but it sounds very '80s).
              yes, I'm your baby tonight is VERY great! This made me buy the album!
              This is my favourite Whitney song!

1. I'm Your Baby Tonight
              2. For The Lovers
              3. I Have Nothing
              4. I Wanna Dance With Somebody
              5. So Emotional

It's a weird list, I know

Comment

Youi know what's really weird? My favourite Whitney song ever is... "Fine".
                Yes, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLinda
                  Yes, indeed.
                  Not my cup of tee, but it's kinda cute

Comment

"Fine" is very underrated, I think it deserved more success than it received.

Comment

Yes, indeed.
                      I love 'Fine' and the video is cute. Q-tip did a great job. I have so many favorites, I can't decide.

I also love
                      Just the Lonely Talking
                      You're stillmy man

and pretty much all of her gospel songs.

Youtube, 'A quiet place' she takes me to heaven with that song
                      I was not built to break!

Comment

Originally posted by hugom2c
                        Originally posted by Loverboy
                        I think it will be a ballad with huge vocals.
                        She already did that with "Listen" that imo is as known worldwide as any Mariah Carey signature songs... Singing competition contests prove that

Love whitney!!!
                        Wow at all the Beyonce talk inthis Whitney thread.

Actually, of all the Divas, Whitney's songs are covered more on singing competitions. They did research on that, especially on American Idol.

Also, Whitney has several signature songs.

Greatest Love of All

of her debut remains a signature

Saving All My Love For You

and of course IwALY,

I agree that Beyonce doesn't have a signature song a la the other divas.

Comment

Originally posted by 04wayne
                          She was once the voice, now she isn't. Overshadowed in the nineties by Dion and Carey, who had better material, she never did get back what she had in the eighties, not even close,

Nowadays, her voice is shot. Still, her eighties , early nineties is what she will be remembered for, and for good reason, she had an amazing voice
                          I can't at you all through these whitney threads with your sweepin statements with no basis in realty.

Whitney was not overshadowed in the 90s by anyone. She was at her vocal and sales peak with the Bodyguard which sold over 40mil worldwide and cemented her as one of the greats worldwide.

Not only that, of all the divas, she has been the most sucessful moviewise with 3 solid hits and with 3 more than sucessful tv movies and movie under her production house and of course she is the soundtrack queen.

Please stop trying to diminish Whitney's achielvement. Aretha doesn't sound like she did at her peak and she is still known as the queen of soul. Once a titleis given, it is never lost and her work still stands thetest of time.

The Bodyguard
                          Waitingto Exhale
                          The Preacher's wife

All three movies took place n the 90's and wer hits as well as their soundtracks. She was the first singer turned actress to command $10mil, where they do that at.

She remans'The voice' and despite her ups and downs, she is still respected by her peers and every girl who dreamsto sing, study her catalogue for a reason.

I don't know many wh claim to be influenced by Celine #no shade. Celine even said that Whitney influenced her, lol as did Mariah.

Comment

Originally posted by jio
                            What did madonna release that sold more than I Look To You, in 2009?
                            I believe Celebration sold more than "I Look To You" internationally... if I am wrong I am sorry though. And I didn't write off everything you wrote. I just expressed a different opinion.
                            I love reading your perspective on Whitney, however, I don't think Celebration shipped or sold as much as ILTY internationally.

ILTY platinum in th US 970k scanned
                            shipped 2.5mil ww

Celebration
                            Don't quite recall but I don't think that it sold 300k in he US - It did much better internatinally but Idon't think it sold as much as ILTY

Comment

I agree with both Jio and Loverboy on this. Whitney was one of the biggest and brightest stars of her day and she was such a natural. She was a major player on MTV back when Michael and Prince were pretty much the only black stars on the network (Janet's Control was still a little while off), and while Prince and Michael made more rock-oriented crossover music in the day, she was getting it with soulful AC ballads... that showed just how wide a range she reached. She was massive in the 80's and early 90's and I think a lot of younger people can't grasp the level she reached back then. You couldn't go anywhere for nearly six months in 92-93 without hearing "I Will Always Love You", that song was all over pop culture at that moment.

Although her voice is lost (and I think her voice is one of the biggest cases one could use against drug addiction), I thought "I Look To You" had some really good tracks on it and gives me hope for some more decent music in the future, although her days of belting out great power ballads are finished.
                              I don't think her voice is lost. I don't think she will sound like she did in the 80's and really nobody sounds like they did 25 yrs prior.

Also, most of her vocaldamage did not come from drugs. That is a misconception. She besides Celine has done a lot of touring, some 600 dates and unlike Celine, she doesn't lip (which in retrospect she pobably should have to save her voie)

She developd nodules and continue to sing. During The bodyguard tour and her Brazilian tour, there are clips and newspaper articles of doctors telling her to cancel due to vocal stress etc ad she still sang.

Watch her brazlian concert,clearly she is ill and she is still singing and soundig amazing.

This is what contribued to her vocal decline simila to Mariah who also has nodules and who also partakes in drinking alcohol which is drying to the vocal chords.

Besides the nodules and crazy tour schedule, then the cigarettes and drugs contributed.

I've heard her all through thistour, she still has a voice and a more powerful chest tone than her bodyguad era. Her issue is breath support and consistancy.

Her interpretative skill is even better which makes up for the change from a soprano and if anyone hear Mariah's singapore concert today, theywould not be casting aspersions on anyone and realize that both of these divas vocals have changed.

Comment

If her vocal problems started with The Bodyguard tour, why did she still sound amazing throughout the 90's? It wasn't really until I Look To You that you hear a serious deterioration in her voice. The two songs I couldn't stand on the album were the two power ballads. Midtempo numbers and upbeat songs compliment her 2010 voice better. It's when she tries singing songs like I Will Always Love You and I Have Nothing today that critics begin to savage her.

Comment

600 dates - is that in 25/30 years?

I shall reply to your other comments later grouper, when I'm not so tired

Comment

600 days in 25 years isn't THAT massive. You have acts like U2 who do 150-200 shows a tour, and they tour three or four times a decade.

Comment

Yeah, and not meaning to blow Celine any more But she performed 712 odd concerts in 4 years.

But I think grouper's point is that she sings live, whereas Celine lips some of her concert parts.

Comment

Originally posted by grouper6
                                        Originally posted by jio
                                        What did madonna release that sold more than I Look To You, in 2009?
                                        I believe Celebration sold more than "I Look To You" internationally... if I am wrong I am sorry though. And I didn't write off everything you wrote. I just expressed a different opinion.
                                        I love reading your perspective on Whitney, however, I don't think Celebration shipped or sold as much as ILTY internationally.

shipped 2.5mil ww

Celebration
                                        Don't quite recall but I don't think that it sold 300k in he US - It did much better internatinally but Idon't think it sold as much as ILTY
                                        Celebration shipped 2.7 million worldwide (Warner)
                                        Channel Orange Ray Of Light Electra Heart Back To Black

Comment

If her vocal problems started with The Bodyguard tour, why did she still sound amazing throughout the 90's? It wasn't really until I Look To You that you hear a serious deterioration in her voice. The two songs I couldn't stand on the album were the two power ballads. Midtempo numbers and upbeat songs compliment her 2010 voice better. It's when she tries singing songs like I Will Always Love You and I Have Nothing today that critics begin to savage her.
                                          I beg to differ. You can clearly hear a great deal of vocal detoriation on her "Just Whitney" and "One Wish" albums... and I don't remember any live performances from 2000 onwards that were as stellar as her earlier singing.
                                          It's true that on "I look to you" her voice is worse, but the detoriation started ages ago.

Actually, "One Wish" is a perfect showcase for that, because it contains two songs from "The Preacher's Wife" and the difference between those two and the other tracks is pretty obvious.

However, I don't mind that at all. I love her voice... past and current.

Comment

and I don't remember any live performances from 2000 onwards that were as stellar as her earlier singing.
                                            You're right! It all started around 2000!
                                            On "My Love Is Your Love" her voice was still breathtaking!

Comment

Originally posted by DaBoi
                                              Originally posted by grouper6

shipped 2.5mil ww

Celebration
                                              Celebration shipped 2.7 million worldwide (Warner)
                                              2.7 is a bit too much, but it's definetely in the 2.4-2.5 million region. It was #22 in the IFPI list of the best sellers of 2009.
                                              In the same way i've always thought that 2.5 million for Whitney is a bit too much as well, in fact in the IFPI list she was #27. Regardless of its placement in the year-end chart, it was a great comeback!

I've been playing "I Got You" from ILTY album a lot recently!

Comment

Originally posted by frankie_85

my favourite song from the album.
                                                My Chart

Comment

You're not listening to what I'm saying. She had issues with being hoarse and skipped notes around that time, however, because her talent was so immense, she was able to push through and if you were not a big fan, you would not have noticed it.

In addition, weird that I have forgetten, as a child, she was playing with her brother, running with a hanger and it got shoved in her throat. She was told that if it had gone 1/4 of a inch more, it would have damaged her chords, look at her neck, you will see a brown spot about the size of a coin.

I've hard her sing I Look to YOu and Strength on tour and they sound 100% better than on the record. I'd say her voice has improved from the voice used to record ILTY. She has always been an interpreter, now, her interpretative skill is even better and she's doing things with jazz that she never did as much before.

Her next album will be interesting.

My main point is that it is a misnomer for folks to say that all of her vocal decline was due to drugs. That is not the case. A contributory factor but not the only or primary factor imo.

Comment

can anyone please help me? i've been looking for the Oprah interview for ages. i don't want to download the HD videos as there is like 50 links ahha! anyone got a link to watch it online?

Comment

Mine too! And I thought I was the only one... most people put it last in their "I look to you" album hitlists.

Comment

I'm loving In My Business, So Emotional and Nothin' But love at the moment. Classics
                                                        P=MC2's Top 20
                                                        Originally posted by Merci
                                                        Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

Comment

Mine too! And I thought I was the only one... most people put it last in their "I look to you" album hitlists.
                                                          i especially like the instrumental production and the sound engineering. I think it's great how the backup responds to her lines and I especially like the instrumentation. The song has a great laid-back feeling.
                                                          My Chart

Comment

My Diva collection: Whitney Houston

My First album of hers: The Bodyguard OST, bought in like 1998.
                                                            My Chart

Comment

Just watched The Bodyguard and I keep falling in love with I Will Always Love You over and over again. She had one amazing voice.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X