Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen & Freddie Mercury

The Biggest Group Of All Time imo

Of course the reason for the word legend, Freddie Mercury..

Freddie may very well be the greatest frontman of all time, he will never be replaced IMO
    My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

Originally posted by NothingFails
      Freddie may very well be the greatest frontman of all time, he will never be replaced IMO
      agreed!
      "Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"

Comment

Oh yes, He was so charismatic, particularly for the time. Certainly inspired and influenced many of those who followed.

I imagine seeing them live would have been an amazing experience.
        Ste's Personal Chart 2020

Comment

Greatest Rock Vocalist of all time in my opinion. This man is in a league of his own. I could sit and watch his live performances all day.
          Azealia Banks is the future!
          RIP Whitney!

Comment

Originally posted by steophonic
            I imagine seeing them live would have been an amazing experience.
            Not being able to see Freddie and MJ live always chokes me. Why wasn't I a teenager in the 80's

Comment

One of my favourite male pop artists ever, a sensational voice and such a dynamic performer - definitely one of a kind. Queen have a brilliant back catalogue.
              THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11719552

Queen band sign new record deal

Brian May of Queen Next year the band celebrate their 40th anniversary

Veteran rock band Queen have signed a new record deal, which will see remastered versions of all their albums being re-released next year.

The deal, which has been agreed with Universal, ends their 40 year partnership with EMI.

"We are very excited, after all this time, to be embarking on a new phase of our career," said guitarist Brian May.

The late singer Freddie Mercury and the rest of the band had hits with We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Mercury, who passed away in 1991, became known for his flamboyant stage persona.

Next year the band celebrates its 40th anniversary and the celebration will be marked with the re-release of their first five albums being available in March.

"We aim to apply fresh thinking and innovation to the marketing and promotion of this great body of work," said Universal boss Max Hole.

The move is a further blow to EMI, which has lost other popular artists including The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Radiohead since the group was taken over by private equity firm Terra Firma in 2007.
                101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

Thank you for the article. They are releasing their whole discography next year, remastered editions with previously unreleased material.

Freddie Mercury: simply the best singer ever ro my ears.

Comment

It's strange that they are releasing the re-mastered versions with Universal. I would have assumed that EMI actually held the rights to the recordings and that they would remain under their stewardship. Even these days it is rare that an artist would own the rights and, given the times Queen embarked on their recording career, I can't imagine that they do. I wonder was there something in the small print of the contract that is enabling this...some sort of time limit or the fact that the original recordings are being altered for the re-master.
                    101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

The first five albums, 'Queen', 'Queen II', 'Sheer Heart Attack', 'A Night At The Opera' and 'A Day At The Races' will be released next March, with the rest of their studio album output to follow throughout the year.
                      101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

Shay,

Queen do own the rights to their music, as weird as that sounds; this puts in a better position than many other acts when it comes to negotiations and the like. And ones starts wondering why aren't they a bit more protective with theri catalog, based on the fact that many redundant compilations and live albums are released every year.

Queen have a fantastic catalog and this is a great chance for fans like me to have their discography again.

Comment

I watched the "Days Of Our Lives" documentary last night on Bio Channel.

Is there bad blood with John Deacon? I can understand why he doesn't wish to tour anymore because Queen died with Freddie, but I'm surprised he wouldn't even grant an interview for a career-spanning documentary on the band. For instance in comparison Agnetha Faltskog is notorious for being a hermit but yet she has granted interviews for several ABBA documentaries.
                          My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

Happy Birthday to the King of Stage!

Check out google.com

Comment

Originally posted by Play
                              Not being able to see Freddie and MJ live always chokes me. Why wasn't I a teenager in the 80's
                              I understand what you mean.

Happy Birthday to the King of Stage!

Check out google.com
                              Loved it!
                              I'd build a road in gold just to have some dreaming

Comment

Best Male Vocalist of all time.
                                I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

One of my favourites - Too Much Love Will Kill You

Comment

He had an indefinable something about him, did Freddie.

I love some of Queen's music; so many classic hits to choose from. I like that even though their music is so complex in arrangement, its accessibility is second to none. And a big part of that is the love affair that so many had with Freddie.

Comment

Probably my favorite band of all time. Grew up with their music as my parents are big fans.

Comment

Happy Birthday to Freddie Mercury!

I didn't want to start the game of giving him adjectives because the list would go on and on and on

Comment

Love how they performed at live 8 esp Freddie.
                                          What a performer! The best performer ever! No one can rival his stage presence.
                                          NoHype.

my lousy cover of "Sway"https://soundcloud.com/nyein-chann-a...n-martin-cover

Comment

Happy Birthday to Freddie Mercury!

I didn't want to start the game of giving him adjectives because the list would go on and on and on
                                            Agreed.

Comment

I was having some chats with other UKmixers the other day and, as I often do, I highlighted Queen's level of influence on music, which has always been great but seems to be growing as the years go by.

And it got me thinking why, despite that, Queen are seldom mentioned as one of the ultimate influential acts on popular music or why it isnít acknlowledged more often in magazines, polls, etc.

I think there is a possible reason: their wide appeal. Queen are generally liked and praised amongst all sort of music circles, even in the alternative world. But I think that in each one of them, they are a few acts that shadowed them or appealed more; it is a bit like some groups' impact is more visible on certain, specific genres (to an extent), whereas Queen were more of a crossover band in that regard.

They have many metal/hard rock fans -who praised certain albums, like their debut and their seventies records in general-, even if the likes of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath or The Who mean a bit more for them.

They of course have plenty of pop fans, who enjoy a great deal of their hits and are overly familiar with their compilations. But I think some groups hold a similar or greater resonance on that genre.

They are even a favourite for some progressive rock fans too, most of which are especially fond of Queen II. However, they canít compete with acts like Genesis (pre 1976 at least) or King Crimson.

Queen collected massive appeal and recognition (both from music buyers and other bands) from all areas and has a massive influence on all of them, but somehow they are almost never mentioned as one of the most influential groups. Maybe that is the reason. The influence of some bands is easier to tell and notice on certain music genres, whereas Queen0s legacy seem to be spread across a wider amount of styles.

Any idea? A bit pointless to ask give the small feedback in this thread.

Comment

For those who don't know much about Queen, here are a bunch of creative videos, highlighting some of their greatest moments on different albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULvry-4YfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS3FO_Mh-GU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE9qVsKCrww

Sometimes you need to hear thing separately in order to understand and appreaciate it all all in its right dimension.

Comment

25th anniversary today, R.I.P. Freddie[*].
                                                  Whitney Houston

Comment

Brian May announces new album with theatre star after cancelling Christmas tour

Queen star Brian May is back in the studio with singer Kerry Ellis after a mystery illness forced him to scrap the duo's winter tour.

The guitarist first worked with Ellis on 2010's Anthems, and the odd couple has teamed up for joint tours every winter, while May is taking a break from Queen.
                                                    The duo was forced to scrap their Christmas Candlelight Tour in December (16), after May announced he was "battling with a persistent illness which is destroying my energy and my will", but now he's working on new material with his muse, a West End theatre star.

They will release Golden Days in April (17)

"This album is a true collaboration between Kerry and myself," May says in a press release. "Five years ago, Anthems was the result of me producing an exciting new artist... This new record has both our names on it, and breaks new ground. We produced ourselves together as a team. I feel confident it's the best thing we've ever done and a worthy testament to 13 years of belief. It also happens to feature Britain's most beautiful voice!"
                                                    http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/enterta ... stmas-tour
                                                    Whitney Houston

Comment

Thanks to an announcement on Queen's official website, we now know for certain that a Freddie Mercury biopic, starring Mr. Robot's Rami Malek, is now in the works! And it's been given a very appropriate title: Bohemian Rhapsody.

According to the announcement, Bryan Singer will direct the film. His other works include the X-Men films and The Usual Suspects. Pre-production will begin next week in the UK.
                                                      http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/quee ... rami_malek

http://www.queenonline.com/news/bohemia ... big-screen
                                                      Whitney Houston

Comment

Bryan Singer: Illness forces director to stop work on Freddie Mercury film
                                                        Whitney Houston

Comment

This film is doomed. Too many issues are surely a sign :-?
                                                          M08T10

Comment

Oh no :(
                                                            I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

Working...
                                                            X