No announcement yet.

David Bowie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope it's true, he is fantastic!
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

Crossed fingers, the real King Of Rock will be back!
      vulnicura.

Comment

For the longest time I held tight to the idea that Bowie wasn't "retired" but that he was waiting until his heart was in it again and that we would definitely hear more for him in the future.

I don't blame him for the hiatus, he had so many setbacks on the last tour with the heart attack and the stagehand who died 20 mins before the show was set. Plus at the time his daughter was 3-4 so I can't really fault him for making it a priority to be there during her childhood as opposed to his older son who was growing up when his dad was doing Ziggy and everything. She's 11 or 12 now, so I guess Bowie feels like it might be time to get back out into the world.

I have a feeling this will be his highest charting album and biggest selling since the 1980s because Bowie has been away so long that the audience has genuinely missed him.
        My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

He's back

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/new-webs ... -boy-47841

New Website, Album, Single And Video For The Birthday Boy

"Secret secrets never seen..."

Welcome to the relaunched DavidBowie.com and a whole bunch of exciting new things that you've no doubt already found on the splash page.
          The site is a work in progress right now as we continue to import historical data such as The Forum and past news, so please bear with us.

However, if you're anything like us you'll be too interested in David Bowie's new music to worry too much about anything else right now.

We'll leave you with the press release for The Next Day and Where Are We Now?, but be sure to pop back later today for more regarding all of this and more...
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is David Bowie?

New Single and Pre-Order of First New Album in 10 Years Exclusively Launching on the iTunes Store Today

New York, NY--January 8, 2013--In the early morning hours of Tuesday the 8th January, Iso/Columbia Records released a new single by David Bowie titled 'Where Are We Now?' exclusively launching in the iTunes Store in 119 countries. David Bowie's first new album in ten years and his 30th studio recording, THE NEXT DAY is also available as a pre-order on iTunes with a wide release scheduled for March. January the 8th is of course David Bowie's birthday, a timely moment for such a treasure to appear as if out of nowhere.

Throwing shadows and avoiding the industry treadmill is very David Bowie despite his extraordinary track record that includes album sales in excess of 130 million not to mention his massive contributions in the area of art, fashion, style, sexual exploration and social commentary. It goes without saying that he has sold out stadiums and broken ticket records throughout the world during this most influential of careers.

In recent years radio silence has been broken only by endless speculation, rumor and wishful thinking ....a new record...who would have ever thought it, who'd have ever dreamed it! After all David is the kind of artist who writes and performs what he wants when he wants...when he has something to say as opposed to something to sell. Today he definitely has something to say.

Produced by long term collaborator Tony Visconti, 'Where Are We Now?' was written by Bowie, and was recorded in New York. The single is accompanied by a haunting video directed by Tony Oursler which harks back to David's time in Berlin. He is seen looking in on footage of the auto repair shop beneath the apartment he lived in along with stark images of the city at the time and a lyric constantly raising the question Where Are We Now?

"The moment you know, you know you know" resonates from the new single's lyric. Now we all know...David Bowie has been in the recording studio...just when we least expected it!!
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Next Day tracklisting

Standard Version:

01. The Next Day 3:51
          02. Dirty Boys 2:58
          03. The Stars (Are Out Tonight) 3:56
          04. Love Is Lost 3:57
          05. Where Are We Now? 4:08
          06. Valentine's Day 3:01
          07. If You Can See Me 3:16
          08. I'd Rather Be High 3:53
          09. Boss Of Me 4:09
          10. Dancing Out In Space 3:24
          11. How Does The Grass Grow 4:33
          12. (You Will) Set The World On Fire 3:30
          13. You Feel So Lonely You Could Die 4:41
          14. Heat 4:25

Total (Approximately) 53:14

Deluxe Version

01. The Next Day 3:51
          02. Dirty Boys 2:58
          03. The Stars (Are Out Tonight) 3:56
          04. Love Is Lost 3:57
          05. Where Are We Now? 4:08
          06. Valentine's Day 3:01
          07. If You Can See Me 3:16
          08. I'd Rather Be High 3:53
          09. Boss Of Me 4:09
          10. Dancing Out In Space 3:24
          11. How Does The Grass Grow 4:33
          12. (You Will) Set The World On Fire 3:30
          13. You Feel So Lonely You Could Die 4:41
          14. Heat 4:25

Bonus tracks:
          15. So She 2:31
          16. I'll Take You There 2:44
          17. Plan 2:34

Total (Approximately): 61: 03
          >>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Comment

I like the sound of his new song, it's quite ambient.

Comment

I've been exploring his discography recently, something I wanted to do for a long time, especially when so many great ukmixers love him like Billy and Kevin, so him announcing a new album was a nice surprise. So far I listened to "Hunky Dory", "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy...", "Heroes", "Low" and "Lodger" and I must say I liked every single one!

This new song is pretty amazing too, his next album will be a new addition to my most anticipated albums of 2013 list
              "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

David liked to experiment, there are the conventional pop/rock albums then there are more experimental ones!

Try the albums "Outside", "Scary Monsters" & "Station To Station" as well.

"Earthling" is really cool too, there are so many still!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycrazy
                  there are so many still!
                  This was the main reason why it took so long for me to start listening to him, his discography is just so vast
                  "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

I've been Bowie obsessed since the news broke. I've been a big fan for 17 years now (holy ish... can't believe it's been that long) but him coming back was such glorious news that I never expected.

Comment

I love this man
                      Nothing to lose, and we'd get messed up for fun, we went too fast too young

Comment

<3

Still have lots to get into with David, but I haven't heard anything at all bad as yet!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCrazy

<3

Still have lots to get into with David, but I haven't heard anything at all bad as yet!
                          well I would mostly avoid anything post-Let's Dance pre-Black Tie White Noise. Tonight, Never Let Me Down and the two Tin Machine albums are all low points in his career.

Comment

I'll keep that in mind John thanks!!

Random: Some of the music in Ashes To Ashes reminds me of the SNES game "Earthbound"!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCrazy
                              I'll keep that in mind John thanks!!
                              Tonight was just a half-assed album he did because the label wanted a followup to Let's Dance. Blue Jean and Loving The Alien are classics, but most of the album is him at his most bored and uninspired. Some of the tracks like Tumble And Twirl sound like him trying to be a tacky lounge singer, and his butchering of "God Only Knows" is def one of his worst moments.

The Glass Spider tour is hilarious (the tour supporting Never Let Me Down). Bowie attempting to try his hands on doing a MJ/Madonna-style spectacle with loads of backup dancers, elaborate sets and some really terrible choreography. He was so out of his element and the reviews for it were brutal. The album itself is no better, he aimlessly copies lots of big stars at the time (namely Springsteen and Prince) and one song even has him and Mickey Rourke trading off raps. Bowie himself has all but disowned the album, it was hideously bad. The video for Day In Day Out (a total Springsteen ripoff song) is probably him at his most over the top.

Comment

Will listen to the new album properly today, will be back with thoughts! What do others think of it?

Comment

David Bowie in my YE 2012 album chart:
                                  #38 Outside
                                  #105 The Buddha of Suburbia
                                  #132 Low

Comment

Counting down my top 100 Bowie songs (through Reality era... too soon to add The Next Day tracks) here

Comment

BBC2 David Bowie 5years Documentary on now

Comment

Originally posted by zenneo
                                        BBC2 David Bowie 5years Documentary on now
                                        Full of fascinating never seen before footage - the Young Americans stuff with Luther Vandross in the studio.
                                        Has had the most effect on YA on iTunes, too! Of the albums featured, YA was not one that had previously been so high since his re-emergence.

Programme: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ive_Years/
                                        Tony's Charts ft Hits / Albums (23rd May 20) - Charli XCX, Foxes, Sol Seppy, Moby, Ellie Goulding, Maya Hawke, Tove Lo, Sparks, Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit, Einstürzende Neubauten, Carly Rae Jepsen, Perfume Genius, The Dears, Sara Evans, Transglobal Underground, The Vapors, Alma, Noah Cyrus, Jess Williamson, Ilse DeLange

Comment

Finding Tonight and Never Let Me Down rather enjoyable lately I like them much more than Let's Dance tbh.
                                          last.fm

Comment

I've been on a big break from listening to David, will listen to the "Outside" album tonight, I absolutely love that one!

Comment

I don't know, my taste in Bowie's albums is really weird. I like his two signature albums Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory, but also some that are considered worst, like the two 80s albums and Hours. I still haven't listened to many of them, there's just too many But it bugs me that I don't have like a ''pattern'' for which of his phases I like best, my preferences are really random, it just needs to click with me for an unknown reason
                                              last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by mrlemonade
                                                Finding Tonight and Never Let Me Down rather enjoyable lately I like them much more than Let's Dance tbh.
                                                I've been listening to Never Let Me Down lately and Time Will Crawl is such an earworm!!! The 80's were magical, weren't they?

Comment

Yes, Time Will Crawl, the title track and Glass Spider are great songs no matter what people (NothingFails ) say
                                                  I also like Julie, even though I have to admit that it's ridiculous
                                                  last.fm

Comment

• you haven't lived the Never Let Me Down era until you've seen the Glass Spider tour. Bowie attempting a Michael Jackson/Madonna spectacle loaded with backup dancers and elaborate costumes and sets. He was so out of his element but it was entertaining for its awfulness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9fQTQ6z324

Comment

Working...
                                                    X