X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonathan
    replied
    New David Bowie live album released

Today brings the release of a new David Bowie live album. Entitled Something in the Air (Live Paris 99), the 15-track LP captures an October 14th, 1999 performance at the Elysée Montmarte in Paris, France.

The concert was notable for a number of reasons. To start, it occurred on the same day Bowie was awarded the Commandeurs of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, France’s highest artistic honor. It was also one of only seven shows performed in support of Bowie’s 1999 album, Hours.

As for the setlist, it saw Bowie dig deep into his back catalog and dust off several songs he hadn’t played in decades, including “Can’t Help Thinking About Me”, “Word on a Wing”, and “Drive-In Saturday”. The concert also featured the live debut of Bowie’s Hours track “Something in the Air”.

Something in the Air is the latest in a string of Bowie archival releases. Earlier this week brought news of a 45th anniversary vinyl reissue for Young Americans. Back in May, the Earthling-era live album LiveandWell.com received its first wide commercial release. Prior to that, ChangesNowBowie unearthed nine previously unreleased tracks from an acoustic session in New York in 1996.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4pnC0csjiPwmrt3Z21tKc3

https://music.apple.com/us/album/som...-99/1525224339

Tracklist:
    01. Life on Mars
    02. Thursday’s Child
    03. Something in the Air
    04. Word on a Wing
    05. Can’t Help Thinking About Me
    06. China Girl
    07. Always Crashing in the Same Car
    08. Survive
    09. Drive-In Saturday
    10. Changes
    11. Seven
    12. Repetition
    13. I Can’t Read
    14 The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell
    15. Rebel Rebel

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

New David Bowie Live Album "Ouvrez Le Chien" Announced

Parlophone Records is sharing a previously unreleased David Bowie live album called Ouvrez Le Chien (Live Dallas 95). It’ll hit streaming platforms on July 3. The album was recorded at Dallas, Texas’ Coca-Cola Starplex Amphitheatre in October 1995 while Bowie was on his Outside Tour with Nine Inch Nails. Check out the album cover, shot by Iman, below.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3AYScHiLi/

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    David Bowie’s Tin Machine II to be reissued on coloured vinyl and CD

Tin Machine II, David Bowie‘s second and final studio album with his late eighties band Tin Machine was released in 1991. It remains one of the few albums in Bowie’s canon that is properly out-of-print and therefore expensive to pick up on both vinyl and CD. All this changes in July since Music On Vinyl will reissue a limited edition coloured vinyl pressing and a CD edition of the album.

Tin Machine II is being pressed on 180g silver vinyl and limited to 5000 copies worldwide with only 1000 allocated for the UK. They are all individually numbered and the (uncensored) front sleeve comes with a special spot varnish finish. The CD is presented in standard jewel case packaging.

Tin Machine II is released on 17 July 2020 via Music On Vinyl. Pre-order both formats now from the SDE shop using this link or the buttons below. We have a special vinyl + CD bundle deal available as well.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

David Bowie’s rare LiveAndWell.com album Released wide for first time

In 1999, subscribing to the ISP was the only way to get your hands on Bowie’s live album LiveAndWell.com. Fast forward to now, and the rare collection is being released commercially for the very first time. Stream it below via Apple Music and Spotify.

In addition to the original 10 songs, the commercial edition of LiveAndWell.com includes a pair of bonus tracks: “Pallas Athena” and “V-2 Schneider”, the latter of which is named after Kraftwerk’s Florian Schneider, who passed away earlier this month. The recordings were captured during Bowie’s 1997 “Earthling Tour”, which saw Bowie pulling from that year’s Earthling and 1995’s 1. Outside. Represented on the live album are selections coming from shows in New York, Amsterdam, Rio De Janeiro, and at the UK’s Phoenix Festival.

Leave a comment:

• Elazul
    replied
    Are the last two tracks of Legacy greyed out everywhere on Spotify?

Leave a comment:

• ilovemusic666
    replied

Sameeee. Tho i love lil peep and travis scott. Fav rappers ever. NF's sad hits different tho ;-;
    A place to discuss your favourite artists generally, between releases.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

David Bowie Live LP ‘I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)’ Set for Record Store Day

A previously unissued David Bowie live album highlighting the singer’s mid-Seventies workis set for Record Store Day.

I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74), featuring segments of a pair of concerts from that trek, bridges the gap between 1974’s Diamond Dogs and 1975’s Young Americans. Bowie’s site announced the release Thursday.

Previous Bowie live albums from the 1974 tour — 1974’s David Live and the 2017 reissue Cracked Actor (Live Los Angeles ’74) — were recorded prior to the I’m Only Dancing concerts, which featured a more soul music focus as well as the Mick Garson Band backing Bowie.

The bulk of I’m Only Dancing is taken from an October 20th, 1974 gig at Detroit’s Michigan Palace, with three tracks from a Nashville concert on November 30th, 1974. The live album will available as both 2 CDs and 2 LPs on Record Store Day, April 18th. The LP’s artwork mirrors the original design for the programs from the two gigs.

In addition to I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74), Record Store Day will also include a reissue of the ChangesNowBowie compilation.

I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74) Track List

1. Introduction – Memory of a Free Festival
    2. Rebel Rebel
    3. John, I’m Only Dancing (Again)
    4. Sorrow
    5. Changes
    6. 1984

1. Moonage Daydream
    2. Rock ’n’ Roll With Me
    3. Love Me Do / The Jean Genie
    4. Young Americans

1. Can You Hear Me
    2. It’s Gonna Be Me
    3. Somebody Up There Likes Me
    4. Suffragette City

1. Rock ’n’ Roll Suicide
    2. Panic in Detroit
    3. Knock on Wood *
    4. Foot Stomping / I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate / Foot Stomping *
    5. Diamond Dogs / It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I like It) / Diamond Dogs *

Recorded at the Michigan Palace, Detroit on 20th October, 1974 and * at the Municipal Auditorium, Nashville on 30th November, 1974.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    David Bowie’s unreleased Earthling-era semi-instrumental “Nuts” is the latest installment in the Is It Any Wonder? series

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    Over the last few weeks, the upcoming digital EP of David Bowie rarities Is It Any Wonder? has been unveiled one song at a time. Today brings the fourth piece of the six-track effort, as a never-before-heard recording dubbed “Baby Universal ’97” has come online.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

‘I CAN’T READ ‘97’ is the second instalment of DAVID BOWIE’s IS IT ANY WONDER? EP of six unreleased and rare tracks being released once a week.

‘I CAN’T READ’ originally appeared on Tin Machine’s eponymous debut album in 1989, and was a staple in the band’s live set. In the autumn of 1996, during the mixing stages for Earthling, David re-recorded the track – which, at one stage, appeared on a mastered version of the album.

While the song’s second incarnation, ‘I CAN’T READ ‘97’, was David’s preferred solo version, it was ultimately cut from Earthling and replaced at the last minute with ‘The Last Thing You Should Do’.

This video for ‘I CAN’T READ ‘97 was shot by Tim Pope shot at rehearsals in Hartford, Connecticut in January 1997.

‘I CAN’T READ ‘97’ written by David Bowie & Reeves Gabrels is produced by David Bowie, co-produced by Reeves Gabrels and Mark Plati, and mixed by Mark Plati. The track was recorded and mixed at Right Track Recording in New York and features Gail Ann Dorsey on bass and vocals, Mike Garson on piano, and Gabrels on guitar and vocals.

Leave a comment:

• delapuerta
    replied
    OMG they're milking the cow! but I love it.
    Blackstar remains as one of my fav records

Leave a comment:

• AndiIversen
    replied
    I love many songs here it's a must-have

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied
    Happy Birthday.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    Rare and Unreleased David Bowie Songs Collected on New Album and EP

Today (January 8), would have been David Bowie’s 73rd birthday. To mark the occasion, Parlophone Records has announced two new Bowie releases. One of the projects is a six-track EP called DAVID BOWIE IS IT ANY WONDER? that the label will release over the next six weeks. The first offering from the EP, which you can hear below, is a version of “The Man Who Sold the World” that Bowie recorded with Gail Ann Dorsey, Reeves Gabrels, and Mark Plati in November 1996.

The ’96 edition of “The Man Who Sold the World” will also be included on the other forthcoming release, CHANGESNOWBOWIE, which is out on April 18 (aka Record Store Day 2020). Learn more, and find the CHANGESNOWBOWIE tracklist, below.

CHANGESNOWBOWIE:

01 The Man Who Sold the World
    02 The Supermen
    03 Andy Warhol
    04 Repetition
    05 Lady Stardust
    06 White Light White Heat
    07 Shopping for Girls
    08 Quicksand
    09 Aladdin Sane

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    DAVID BOWIE ‘ALABAMA SONG’ GETTING 40TH ANNIVERSARY PICTURE DISC

Rhino Records will releases a 40th anniversary 7″ Picture Disc edition of David Bowie’s “Alabama Song” on February 14th. Originally released in the U.K. on February 15, 1980, “Alabama Song” was initially written as a poem by Bertolt Brecht in 1925 and was put to music by Kurt Weill for the 1927 play Little Mahogany. David Bowie was a long-standing Brecht fan and included the song in the set-list for his 1978 Isolar II tour.

The studio version of “Alabama Song” on the A-side of this release was recorded on July 2, 1978, the day after the final show of the European leg of the tour at Tony Visconti’s Good Earth Studios in Soho, London.

The AA-Side features two previously unreleased tracks: a rendition of Heroes track “Joe The Lion” recorded at the soundcheck of the tour’s final Earl’s Court show on July 1, 1978. Though rehearsed for the Isolar II Tour “Joe The Lion” would not make its live debut until the Serious Moonlight Tour of 1983.

The second track on the AA-side is a live version of “Alabama Song” also recorded July 1st 1978 — a different performance than the one featured on the live album Welcome To The Blackout.

A-Side (45 RPM)
    1. Alabama Song (Kurt Weill/Bertolt Brecht)
    Produced by David Bowie and Tony Visconti
    Recorded at Good Earth Studios, London on July 2, 1978

AA-Side (33 1/3 RPM)
    1. Joe The Lion (Live at Earls Court ’78 Soundcheck) [Previously Unreleased] (David Bowie)
    Recorded live by Tony Visconti with the Manor Mobile at Earls Court, London July 1, 1978.
    Recording engineered by Jeremy Allom and Ken Capper Mixed by John Pestage at Air Studios, London, July, 2019
    2. Alabama Song (Live Earls Court ’78) [Previously Unreleased] (Kurt Weill / Bertolt Brecht)
    Produced by David Bowie Recorded live by Tony Visconti with the Manor Mobile at Earls Court, London, July 1, 1978
    Recording engineered by Jeremy Allom and Ken Capper Mixed by David Bowie and David Richards at Mountain Studios, Montreux, January 17-22, 1979.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    David Bowie Conversation Piece 5CD box due November

“All seems so long ago...”

Parlophone Records is proud to announce DAVID BOWIE CONVERSATION PIECE, a five CD box set and digital equivalent tracking David’s early development throughout 1968 and 1969, via his home demos, BBC radio sessions, studio recordings with guitarist John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson and the experimental music and mime group, Feathers. The collection also celebrates the 50th anniversaries of the release of the ‘Space Oddity’ single and David’s second album, David Bowie (aka Space Oddity).

Pre-order links and more images to follow.

Keep reading for the press release.

#DBCP2019

+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +

DAVID BOWIE CONVERSATION PIECE - 5 CD AND DIGITAL BOX SET RELEASED ON 15TH NOVEMBER, 2019

INCLUDES 12 EXCLUSIVE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED TRACKS AND BRAND NEW MIX OF SPACE ODDITY ALBUM BY TONY VISCONTI

SPACE ODDITY (2019 MIX) ALBUM ALSO AVAILABLE SEPARATELY ON CD, STANDARD DIGITAL, 96/24 DIGITAL AND RANDOMISED BLACK, EXTREMELY LIMITED NUMBERED SILVER AND GOLD VINYL SINGLE RUN PRESSINGS.

'CONVERSATION PIECE' (2019 MIX) AVAILABLE NOW AS A STREAMING ONLY SINGLE.

4th September 2019 London

Parlophone Records is proud to announce DAVID BOWIE CONVERSATION PIECE, a five CD box set and digital equivalent tracking David’s early development throughout 1968 and 1969, via his home demos, BBC radio sessions, studio recordings with guitarist John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson and the experimental music and mime group, Feathers. The collection also celebrates the 50th anniversaries of the release of the ‘Space Oddity’ single and David’s second album, David Bowie (aka Space Oddity).

DAVID BOWIE CONVERSATION PIECE contains twelve previously unreleased tracks/demos from the period as well as a brand new mix of the Space Oddity (aka David Bowie) album by long-time Bowie producer/collaborator Tony Visconti.

The new mix of the album now features the title track of the boxset ‘Conversation Piece’ restored to the tracklisting in its initially intended position, before it was originally dropped due to time constraints of vinyl.

Of the 2019 Space Oddity album mix Visconti says “It was so much fun to find hidden gems of musicianship with more time to mix the second time around, a guitar twiddle here, a trombone blast there, Marc Bolan’s voice in a group choir and more detail in general that we overlooked all those years ago when the label gave us a week at the most to mix this album. And in the details you will find 22 year old David Bowie, who would soon take the world by storm."

The 120 page hardback book accompanying the box features exclusive memorabilia from the personal collection of David’s former manager, the late Ken Pitt, as well as from the David Bowie Archive®, and includes photos by Ray Stevenson, Vernon Dewhurst, David Bebbington, Ken Pitt, Alec Byrne, Tony Visconti and Jojanneke Claasen.

The sleeve notes have been written for the release by Bowie experts Mark Adams, Tris Penna and Kevin Cann along with contributions from David’s lifelong friend George Underwood, Tony Visconti, Vernon Dewhurst, Dana Gillespie and John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson.

The 2019 mix of the Space Oddity album will also be released separately and individually on CD, standard digital, 96/24 digital and vinyl. The various vinyl configurations will be randomly distributed worldwide with a mixture of hand-numbered labels; numbers 1 to 1969 on silver vinyl numbers and 1970 to 2019 on gold vinyl, with the remainder being black vinyl.

DAVID BOWIE CONVERSATION PIECE

Titles marked * are unreleased and the two Decca tracks presented here are released in superior quality to that released on the Deluxe Edition of David’s self-titled debut album on Deram. There is also a rare appearance for the full length mono version of Feathers’ ‘Ching-a-Ling’.

CD 1 - Home Demos

April’s Tooth Of Gold (2.29) *
    The Reverend Raymond Brown (Attends the Garden Fête on Thatchwick Green) (2.15) *
    When I’m Five (3.18) *
    Mother Grey (3.00)
    In The Heat Of The Morning (2.59)
    Goodbye 3d (Threepenny) Joe (3.19)
    Love All Around (2.49)
    London Bye, Ta-Ta (3.31)
    Angel Angel Grubby Face (version 1) (2.31)
    Angel Angel Grubby Face (version 2) (2.37)
    Animal Farm (2.21) *
    Space Oddity (solo demo fragment) (2.39)
    Space Oddity (version 1) with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (4.02)
    Space Oddity (version 2) with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (5.00) *
    Space Oddity (version 3) with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (5.10)
    Lover To The Dawn with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (3.50)
    Ching-a-Ling with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (2.58)
    An Occasional Dream with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (2.49)
    Let Me Sleep Beside You with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (2.54)
    Life Is A Circus with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson (4.50)
    Conversation Piece (3.47) *
    Jerusalem (4.19) *
    Hole In The Ground with George Underwood (3.29) *

CD2 - The ‘Mercury’ Demos with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson

Space Oddity (5.28)
    Janine (3.53)
    An Occasional Dream (3.18)
    Conversation Piece (3.31)
    Ching-a-Ling (3.35)
    I’m Not Quite (aka Letter To Hermione) (4.00)
    Lover To The Dawn (5.01)
    Love Song (4.08)
    When I’m Five (3.13)
    Life Is A Circus (5.33)

CD3 - Conversation Pieces (Mono)

In The Heat Of The Morning (Decca mono version) (2.51)
    London Bye, Ta-Ta (Decca alternative version) (2.36)
    BBC Top Gear radio session with the Tony Visconti Orchestra, recorded 13th May, 1968
    In The Heat Of The Morning (3.01)
    London Bye, Ta-Ta (2.39)
    Karma Man (3.07)
    When I’m Five (3.14)
    Silly Boy Blue (4.32)
    Ching-a-Ling (2.51)
    Space Oddity (Morgan Studios version – alternative take) (4.22)* with John ‘Hutch’ Hutchinson
    Space Oddity (U.K. single edit) (4.42)
    Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (single B-side – mono mix) (4.54)
    Janine (mono mix) (3.23)
    Conversation Piece (3.06)
    BBC Dave Lee Travis Show radio session, recorded 20th October, 1969
    Let Me Sleep Beside You (3.20)
    Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed (4.03)
    Janine (3.03)

CD 4 - 1969 stereo mixes

The original David Bowie (aka Space Oddity) album

Space Oddity (5.14)
    Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (inc. Don’t Sit Down) (6.51)
    Letter To Hermione (2.32)
    Cygnet Committee (9.31)
    Janine (3.21)
    An Occasional Dream (2.54)
    Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (4.46)
    God Knows I'm Good (3.17)
    Memory Of A Free Festival (7.09)

The Extras

Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (single B-side stereo mix) (4.56)
    Letter To Hermione (early mix) (2.32) *
    Janine (early mix) (3.23) *
    An Occasional Dream (early mix) (2.54) *
    Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola (full length version) (5.14)

CD 5 - 2019 mixes (all previously unreleased)

The Space Oddity album

Space Oddity (5.20)
    Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed (6.18)
    Letter To Hermione (2.32)
    Cygnet Committee (9.28)
    Janine (3.21)
    An Occasional Dream (2.57)
    Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (4.50)
    Conversation Piece (3.11)
    God Knows I'm Good (3.16)
    Memory Of A Free Festival (7.14)

The Extras

Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (single version) (4.59)
    Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola (5.20)

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    David Bowie’s iconic VH1 Storytellers live album is finally being released on vinyl

There’s an overwhelming number of David Bowie records out there, but there’s one major record that has surprisingly never been pressed to vinyl: his live session for VH1‘s Storytellers series. Now, that’s finally changing. Bowie’s VH1 Storytellers will be released on vinyl on October 11th via Parlophone.

This announcement arrives almost 20 years to the day after Bowie’s performance on the show, which was recorded on August 23rd of 1999. He played a career-spanning setlist which, at the time, could only go up to material from Hours, his 1999 album that had not yet been released at that point. It’s particularly notable for his performances of often overlooked songs like “Can’t Help Thinking About Me”, which he hadn’t played in 33 years, or “Word On A Wing”, which he hadn’t rolled out in 23 years.

While technically VH1 Storytellers received a commercial release in 2009, it was only available as a CD and DVD package, the latter on which had four bonus songs not available on the CD. The new VH1 Storytellers vinyl will include all of the songs from his live session, including those bonus tracks. It’s a 2xLP release to accommodate the 12-song tracklist and coinciding commentary.

According to Bill Flanagan, the executive producer of VH1 Storytellers, everyone in the studio was surprised when he agreed to play the show just three years after the TV series debuted. “We were used to dealing with legendary musicians. Still, landing David Bowie was more than a big booking. There’s no way to say this without being corny: it was an honor,” he said in a press release. “Bowie has a unique place in rock and roll. He is not only one of the most influential musicians of the era, but he does nothing unless he is fully committed.”

Tracklist:
    Side 1:
    01. Life On Mars?
    02. Rebel Rebel (truncated)
    03. Thursday’s Child

Side 2:
    01. Can’t Help Thinking About Me
    02. China Girl
    03. Seven

Side 3:
    01. Drive-In Saturday
    02. Word On A Win
    03. Survive *

Side 4:
    01. I Can’t Read *
    02. Always Crashing In The Same Car *
    03. If I’m Dreaming My Life *

* Bonus recordings not included on original CD

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AndiIversen
    replied
    how much did Mattel pay? lol

Leave a comment:

• AndiIversen
    replied
    on the cover of Record Collector magazine (March 2019)

Leave a comment:

• ajajjj12133
    replied
    So..... I hope that you will like Dog Man Star ...It is my favourite Suede's album.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied
    Parlophone is commemorating this year’s 50th anniversary of David Bowie’s classic “Space Oddity” with a series of box sets. They first announced the Spying Through a Keyhole collection, due out April 5th, back in January. Today, they’ve detailed another 7-inch vinyl box called Clareville Grove Demos.

Due out May 17th, the three-piece set features six home demos Bowie recorded alongside John “Hutch” Hutchinson at the Clareville Grove flat the former lived in with his then girlfriend, Hermione Farthingale. (The three of them — Bowie, Hutch, and Farthingale — had performed together as Feathers.) The cover image was taken by Bowie’s manager at the time, Ken Pitt, in that very apartment.

Of the six tracks, four have previously been unreleased. That includes “Love to the Dawn”, and early version of “Cygnet Committee”; “Ching-a-Ling”, a 1968 song Bowie originally recorded with his Turquoise trio featuring Fathingal and Tony Hill; “Let Me Sleep Beside You”; and “Life Is a Circus”, a cover of a Roger Bunn song recorded by Djinn.

Each vinyl single is designed with a label emulating Bowie’s handwritten song titles. Find the box artwork and tracklist below. You can also find more Bowie vinyl over at ReverbLP.

Clareville Grove Demos Artwork:

Tracklist:
    Single 1
    01. Space Oddity
    02. Lover to the Dawn

Single 2
    01. Ching-a-Ling
    02. An Occasional Dream

Single 3
    01. Let Me Sleep Beside You
    02. Life Is a Circus

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...leased-tracks/

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Going to Lazarus when it's coming to Amsterdam.

Leave a comment:

• mattsky
    replied
    Originally posted by oasisbobo
    I've been having a David Bowie binge the last day or so. Loving it.
    same

Leave a comment:

• oasisbobo
    replied
    Re: David Bowie

I've been having a David Bowie binge the last day or so. Loving it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X