No announcement yet.

Tina Turner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's some really good reviews coming out about the documentary.
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-hbo?_amp=true

Comment

• This is extremely good, up to the Grammy wins.

Comment

• I cant wait to watch the documentary! I hope I can during the week but definitely by next weekend. She has a phenomenal story.
        See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• The film airs tonight on Sky Documentaries at 9pm (so in a couple of mins).

I've got it on record as I'd rather watch Line of Duty live to avoid spoilers.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
            I cant wait to watch the documentary! I hope I can during the week but definitely by next weekend. She has a phenomenal story.
            I absolutely loved it, her mother was an awful woman. But I wasn't prepared for the last 10 minutes before The Best performance, what Angela Bassett was saying and the video footage in NY on the opening night of the Musical.

Comment

• I'm halfway through, what an Extraordinary talented women.
              it's really good documentary.

Comment

• Liked how they used the audio tapes from the writing of her 1st book, gave it that authenticity and how brutal things had been during that time.

It's the last time she'll be seen in public, really enjoyed it and very emotional at the end.

Comment

• Bittersweet but she deserves every bit of living her best life now. She’s given the world so much of herself. Imagine that; a black girl from a town called Nutbush became the Queen of Rock and Roll and an International Icon.

Comment

• I really wish I could have seen her live just once. She's such a force of nature
                    The sands of time fade into dark
                    Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
                    A message to madness
                    Feel music that's realness

Comment

• Tina in concert was my first ever huge gig I attended. There were about 80,000 of us and I will forever remember being really close to her and singing along to On Silent Wings on top of my lungs with my then 13 year old sister... There will never be another TINA, she just gives people wings, LITERALLY! I'd pay big bucks to see her in concert again.

Needless to say, the documentary left me extremely emotional.

Comment

• I was first introduced to Tina through Angela Bassett's "What's Love Got To Do With It". It's a little bit embarrassing, but i was a child then and I actually thought that Angela was Tina. I remembered always being fascinated with both the storyline and the music.

As I grew older I kept getting into more and more of her catalog and I am absolutely enthralled by her performances. In fact, i tend to listen to her live recordings more than the studio ones.

She is such a remarkable woman and truly an inspiration. I am happy she's getting some of her flowers now!
                        See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I'll see if I can manage to watch the special today!

Comment

• The film moved me to tears in parts - most notably when they played her extraordinary interpretation of the song Help (which clearly has a much deeper meaning to her than I had anticipated before now) and then again in the last 10 minutes, as they aired her final appearance in America for the premier of her show.

She has ALWAYS been one of my favourite artists ever and this just solidifies what I always knew - she is a remarkable woman. Her stories of abuse and her relationship with her mum were very sad.

I’m feeling very bittersweet having watched it - I feel like I’ve just said goodbye to Tina, which is as she wanted it. I wish her a happy, healthy and long life - she will forever be quite simply, the best.

Comment

• Keep voting for Tina daily!!!

https://vote.rockhall.com/

Comment

• I cannot even put in words what she means to me. She is such a strong and amazing woman. In each and every interview she is the life of the party - always positive and real. A genuine person. Her voice and her performance skills are out of this world. I haven't seen her new farewell documentary yet, I am sitting here on hot coals bc I want to watch it so bad. I know I will cry my eyes out bc I am not ready to say goodbye to her and for now - I won't.

She may not appear in public anymore and I can understand her intentions. She has given us 60 years of her life and now she wants to spend the remaining time as a private person. It's just that I feel the need to tell her and to the world, how great she is and what she means to so many people.

I've been playing her music all week this week in celebration of her life and career. So many evergreens, so many classic songs that everyone knows. Her music, too, has become the soundtrack to my life.
                                My Chart

Comment

• OK, so almost 3 hours later and I've just finished the documentary. Angela Bassett said what I said that we want her to KNOW just how loved and adored she is all over the world. The final scenes in which she attends the premier of her musical... I just lost it. A living LEGEND of the truest sense of the word.

It's a cliché by now, but she will forever be simply the BEST. I love her so much.
                                  My Chart

Comment

• From B'Day onwards, Mathew Knowles obviously made Beyoncé pattern her image to Tina Turner. Even the whole The Carters thing is very reminiscent of Ike and Tina. The resemblance is uncanny.

The great thing about Tina compared to most of her contemporaries and to most "divas" is that she is so raw and real. She doesn't perform to be famous, she had big dreams that she realized later on, she was obviously passionate regardless of whether she had hits or not. It's not like in today's world where so many want to do things to be famous for critical acclaim and commercial success.

She even did unpopular stuff, when she did the whole rock thing, she didn't care if people thought she was trying to do a "white" rock sound. She later embraced pop and was transparent about how she felt about things. I agree with that one person in the documentary who made a comment on how Tina was more in-your-face and loved rock and roll, as compared to the Diana Ross and Aretha Franklins that were all into gospel and Motown soul. "River Deep, Mountain High" was a flop in the US but she didn't care, and it eventually became a classic.

It's crazy how it's only up until the latter part of her career (until her retirement) that she is recognized in America. A lot of her work were never big hits in the US. If it weren't for the domestic abuse tell-all, people would never realize her greatness.

Comment

• There’s nothing left to said about Tina that hasn’t been said.

an Icon. a Legend. a Survivor. Queen of Rock & Roll.

Comment

• TINA TURNER
                                        Flanders Expo
                                        Ghent, Belgium
                                        Aug. 26-27, 29-31, Sept.1, 1996
                                        74,250 (six sellouts)
                                        $2,722,500 (82,981,800 francs)

TINA TURNER, BRIAN KENNEDY
                                        Croke Park,
                                        Dublin
                                        June 28, 1996
                                        40,000 (sellout)
                                        $1,510,000 (948,733 punts)
                                        Last edited by LIVING4LOVE; Thu April 8, 2021, 18:26.

Comment

• Originally posted by LIVING4LOVE View Post
                                          TINA TURNER
                                          Flanders Expo
                                          Ghent, Belgium
                                          Aug. 26-27, 29-31, Sept.1, 1996
                                          74,250 (six sellouts)
                                          $2,722,500 (82,981,800 francs)

TINA TURNER, BRIAN KENNEDY
                                          Croke Park,
                                          Dublin
                                          June 28, 1996
                                          40,000 (sellout)
                                          $1,510,000 (948,733 punts)
                                          The average ticket price for Ghent & Dublin was around $37. Her 'Live in Amsterdam' VHS/DVD commercial stated that the European leg alone sold 3 million tickets. At this point, it is likely that the tour grossed more than $110 million in 1996.

Comment

Working...
                                          X