No announcement yet.

Frank Ocean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is his career over though? He never even tried to become mainstream act headlining stadium tours chile.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by GetBack View Post
      So glad his career is over before it even started. The arrogance he displayed after plagiarizing famous songs (and not properly sampling them) is uncalled for. If it was the other way around, he'll play the discrimination and racism card as always.
      Um, his career is not over, he's still popular. He's just not someone who releases albums frequently. I mean, the man was going to be one of the headlining acts for Coachella, one of the most popular music festivals in the world.

Comment

• He is far from over. Probably at the height of his popularity.

I do agree that he has become excruciatingly obnoxious and ignorant however. The whole Prep+ debacle shouldn't have happened in the first place, and the extremely high merch prices are a far cry from his "I should be paying you" Blonde days.

He's lost a bit of touch musically as well. DHL and In My Room were bland and rightfully had no impact. Dear April and Cayendo are more promising, but we either have completely acoustic versions or club remixes, when we need something in between.
        Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
          He is far from over. Probably at the height of his popularity.

I do agree that he has become excruciatingly obnoxious and ignorant however. The whole Prep+ debacle shouldn't have happened in the first place, and the extremely high merch prices are a far cry from his "I should be paying you" Blonde days.

He's lost a bit of touch musically as well. DHL and In My Room were bland and rightfully had no impact. Dear April and Cayendo are more promising, but we either have completely acoustic versions or club remixes, when we need something in between.
          I understand the Prep+ stuff, but I'm trying to figure out what else he's been obnoxious and ignorant about? He doesn't have a social media presence outside of Instagram and his website and you don't really here from him outside of an interview here and there and his Beats 1 radio show.

Musically, he's become an album artist, where songs outside of that context might not make sense. "DHL" was the only one I was really meh on and even with that, it grew on me after a while.

I don't really follow the merch stuff, but I know he did criticized a bit for how long it took for the physical editions of Blonde and Endless to come out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mugen View Post

I understand the Prep+ stuff, but I'm trying to figure out what else he's been obnoxious and ignorant about? He doesn't have a social media presence outside of Instagram and his website and you don't really here from him outside of an interview here and there and his Beats 1 radio show.

Musically, he's become an album artist, where songs outside of that context might not make sense. "DHL" was the only one I was really meh on and even with that, it grew on me after a while.

I don't really follow the merch stuff, but I know he did criticized a bit for how long it took for the physical editions of Blonde and Endless to come out.
            He seems to be more interested in releasing Blonded merch to make profit rather than release actual music. He currently sells a hoodie for 155 and boxers for 61, which are obscene prices. And this is one of multiple merch drops since Blonde, whilst musically we've had two digital singles and four vinyl single releases which we had to purchase without listening to them. Plus his physical releases are extremely limited and pricier than average, and they also take more than half a year to dispatch (still waiting on the vinyl I ordered in October). This has also resulted in most of his stock being copped and sold for ten times more on ebay, which makes it very difficult for his fans to own his music. And he is obviously aware of this, so the fact that he doesn't make his music (or merch) more accessible to his fans kind of makes him complicit.

And as someone who is in love with Channel Orange and Blonde, I don't buy the "context of the album" narrative. None of the songs released in 2019/2020 come anywhere close to those albums or offer even an ounce of narrative individually, let alone when you pierce them together. Especially with DHL and In My Room, there is absolutely no substance to them in terms of context, production or vocals. They both sound like throwaway freestyle demos.

Combine all that with Prep+, and it kinda seems like he lives in an ignorant bubble.
            Last edited by Omiros; Mon June 1, 2020, 17:02.
            Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• I was ready for whatever single releases he was supposed to be releasing but I feel like covid put a hold on that.

Comment

• Sad news.

Comment

• Very sad, he was so young

Comment

• Damn that's awful! losing a bother ...RIP

Comment

• For those who pre-ordered the "Little Demon" vinyl:

Comment

• Yesterday was the anniversary date, but I forgot to post it.

Comment

• Comment

• Frank has just announced a new independent jewelry line called Homer: https://pitchfork.com/news/frank-oce...company-homer/

Comment

• Can't believe it's been 5 years since this classic was released. Also, it's been 5 years since Endless as well.

Comment

• on hearing blonde for the first time, i was almost so crushed that i never listened to music ever again
                                what's going on?

Comment

• Originally posted by Plym View Post
                                  on hearing blonde for the first time, i was almost so crushed that i never listened to music ever again
                                  Wait when did you listen to it for the first time?
                                  I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                  I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post

Wait when did you listen to it for the first time?
                                    august 20 2016
                                    what's going on?

Comment

• Still visit Blonde often. One of my all time favourites.
                                      Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• after pink + white, i couldn't tell you what any song sounds like. it all meshes into one tune-free, soulless, boring blend
                                        what's going on?

Comment

• Noooo Plym
                                          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Plym View Post
                                            after pink + white, i couldn't tell you what any song sounds like. it all meshes into one tune-free, soulless, boring blend
                                            Frank has become pretentious at times but you should give it another go. I did not like the album much when it came out either.
                                            I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                            I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• I'm with Plym on this one. Nostalgia Ultra was just bliss; I was convinced Frank's music would be the sound of the next 10 years at least for me but Blonde was just bland. I cannot get into it even to this day.

Comment

• Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• if it ain't channel orange 2, DONT bother frankie
                                                  what's going on?

Comment

• Frank did his first Blonded radio show since 12/25/19 today. He spoke with Dutch motivational speaker and extreme athlete Wim "Iceman" Wof in today's episode. He also debuted a new song, although it sounds more like a freestyle. Here's a link to just the song, ripped from the show:

You can listen to the full episode on Apple Music.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X