Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If those girlbands were still releasing music...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If those girlbands were still releasing music...

Some of the biggest hits in modern music were recorded by girlgroups, including Spice Girls, No Angels, the Sugababes or Pussycat Dolls. Unfortunately, they hardly ever last much longer than roundabout 5 years. The biggest issues in this context are ongoing catfights and enlarged egos. Most of these bands survived one lineup change and then ultimately dropped the whole thing. No success is going to last forever, but what is important is that you accept flops whenever they occur and use them as engine for the band to grow beyond that. Cher had some heavy flop albums, which didn't even reach the charts, in the process, but never gave up, eventually scoring her biggest hit album with 'Believe' in the late 90s and now being known as living legend. None of these bands' members are going to have sustainable solo careers, but together, they could've shined up to today.
    So what do you think - how would an album by either of them sound today? I'm curious to read your ideas .

Best regards
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Girl groups I would love to see making another album:
    Wilson Phillips
    En Vogue
    Eternal

In the style they were known for in the 90s.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Honestly, I think many girl groups could lose their significant sounds in order to keep up with current trends

Comment

@BratzJesuz: Would that be a bad thing necessarily? Madonna is the Queen of re-invention and why shouldn't girlbands be able to do the same? The priority has to be, imo, that they are good at what they do, the genre or sound is secondary to me. I can appreciate Sugababes' 'Overload' just as much as their last single 'Freedom'.

Let me take the Sugababes as example: Their last 2 eras weren't big anymore, but either way you'd take it, they'd always be bigger as a band, as a brand, than each on their own. The biggest problem indeed was that each of them thought that they'd make it big solo... Turns out they were wrong :( . Didn't the Spice Girls promote 'Girls power' back in the day? Practice what you preach!
        ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

theMathematician
          I agree with you. Several acts can nicely reinvent themselves. I can see Sugababes doing something similar to Little Mix while No Angels could make something Dua Lipa-esque

But the rest of them could really disappoint with new material
          For instance, I would have doubts if Atomic Kitten planned to release new albums
          Although, sometimes there could be pleasant surprises

Comment

At least here, it feels like girl groups are almost a relic. I was really struck by that doing the 2010s countdown. Only Little Mix and Fifth Harmony stood out, and both of those got their start in reality show singing competitions.

I'm not sure why that is - maybe labels find people connect more with an individual than a group?

Comment

@cheapthrills: Some girlbands are diverse in looks, such as the Spice Girls or the PCD, and that's their biggest advantage. Boys are, of course, very welcome to listen to a girlband's music, but for girls, there's always one they can identify with, may it be the shy one, the badass one, the sporty or the classy one. It's cool to listen to a song with multiple distinct voices and, not to forget, most girlbands as a whole have much more stage presence than each of the girls on their own. For example, no one would go to a Melanie B concert. If she's a part of the Spice Girls, she adds a bit of stage presence to the whole group, which is enough to make it even more interesting to look and listen to them.
              ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                @cheapthrills: Some girlbands are diverse in looks, such as the Spice Girls or the PCD, and that's their biggest advantage. Boys are, of course, very welcome to listen to a girlband's music, but for girls, there's always one they can identify with, may it be the shy one, the badass one, the sporty or the classy one. It's cool to listen to a song with multiple distinct voices and, not to forget, most girlbands as a whole have much more stage presence than each of the girls on their own. For example, no one would go to a Melanie B concert. If she's a part of the Spice Girls, she adds a bit of stage presence to the whole group, which is enough to make it even more interesting to look and listen to them.
                I find the charm of girl groups how they make each other even stronger by being similar: En Vogue, Eternal, Wilson Phillips. All those girls can really sing and are strong vocally. But together they are even better.
                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Working...
                X