Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammys 2021 Thread (info, predictions, nominations, wins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew Megan Thee Stallion would win for "Savage" but the hype for "WAP" was what made her win Best New Artist, just as the other #1 hits gave Cardi an edge during her year. I feel bad for Nicki Minaj. 10 years of hitmaking and the Grammys never showed her love at all. Still find "Anaconda" more iconic than Cardi and Megan to be honest. I guess her arrogance really put off the voters. She even trashed Bon Iver for winning over her more than eight years ago in her #CancelTheGrammys tweet, I can't imagine her frustration now. The Grammys really want to make her look like a sore loser. LOL!

Doja Cat's performance was amazing, but she will be the new Britney Spears/Katy Perry (coincidentally all of them had songs produced by Dr. Luke) who will most likely get snubbed most of the the time despite having pop hits.

Taylor's win this year is her weirdest victory. They did not give her the Pop Field wins despite having an obvious edge but they made her win Album of the Year. Is this the first time an Album of the Year winner lost in its genre category? I also didn't expect her to lose to her ex Harry Styles, that's another meme in the making for sure.

Dua looked gorgeous! I thought she was going home without a win since Taylor and Billie would obviously crush her, but it seems like the voters love her so much that they sacrificed Taylor's pop album win for her.

They obviously snubbed The Weeknd to push a "political correctness" narrative. It was the most obvious way to reverse the "Cancel the Grammys" backlash that was at its strongest for this award season. By the way, that host was so cringe-worthy when he begged the audience to give Beyoncé a standing ovation for making Grammy history. I never saw a host at any award show beg and plead for a standing ovation to be given. So awkward to watch! Imagine if any of The Weeknd's songs lost in the R&B categories this year, it would have been "WTF" wins for both H.E.R. and Beyoncé, whose songs in R&B were not even hits.

Even Billie Eilish's winning moment of praising Megan Thee Stallion was a poor man's version of Adele feeling underserving and saying that it was Beyoncé who should have won in 2017. I mean, come on, Billie knew she was going to win something, she's the new favorite to beat. She won 5 Grammys prior, it's not like she won over Taylor Swift or something. That fake praise was so over-the-top.

Next year, Bruno is surely winning this, unless Billie Eilish releases an album. He did an amazing performance and his album will surely be there. It will also make headlines for having Anderson .Paak be be the first black artist to win Album of the Year since Outkast. It's going to mirror that same narrative of having a non-white duo winning again after so many years.

Whoever put BTS as the last performers did a lousy job at trying to chase clout! The BTS fans obviously are pissed that Lady Gaga and Ariana won. They should have opened the show, just to satisfy the fans. By the way, that annoying host didn't look like he was doing the Korean group a favor, he looked like he was forced to give a compliment or something. Someone should fire him for being the worst and most unnatural host. Who is he anyway? Alicia Keys may be a monotonous host but she looked excited to be there at least.

Comment

• I couldn't watch the show, so I'll only comment on the distributed main awards:

Record of the Year: I think it was a good choice to give it to Billie Eilish. I personally liked 'Say So' more as a whole, but 'Everything I Wanted' is a close second and more appropriate for the Grammys.

Album of the Year: WOW, she did it again! Crazy that after Stevie Wonder we see another artist win the award three times. It was critically and commercially successful and it fit into this pandemic craze, so it makes sense. They didn't give AOTY to an underdog in years, so I thought they might give it to one this time, but it's fine.
      GetBack : Mumford & Sons won 'AOTY' but lost 'Best Americana Album' back then.

Song of the Year: I have to say that I don't know the song and think that HER is quite overrated by the Grammy committee anyway. Is the song really good or is it because of the political background? In 2019, a politically motivated song already won and they need to watch out not to mix politics and music too much.

Best New Artist: I get that she's popular, but seriously? I don't see the talent with Meghan Tthee Stallion. I don't know any of the other nominees (apart from Doja Cat), so I don't know who should've deserved it instead.

Another year with Beyoncé winning the most awards, I guess .
      Last edited by theMathematician; Mon March 15, 2021, 18:55.
      Pro: freedom of speech
      Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Meghan Thee Stallion's grammy performance portion of " Savage", the award winning Rap song of the night.

Plus her acceptance speech with Bey :

Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Meghan did that omg.
          5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

Song of the Year: I have to say that I don't know the song and think that HER is quite overrated by the Grammy committee anyway. Is the song really good or is it because of the political background? In 2019, a politically motivated song already won and they need to watch out not to mix politics and music too much.
            The Grammys have had political songs/performances before, so this is nothing new.

Comment

• The risk is that the political message may overshadow what a musical show is actually about: the music. There have been similar occasions with the Eurovision Song Contest in precious years as well.

My position to that is the following:
              A political record should win if it's the best, but a record should not win because it's political.

Comment

• OP updated with winners in bold

Comment

• Am I the only one who really appreciated the cosy setting of the show? Way more than the usual 20k arena.
                  5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Not Kanye winning Best Christian Music Album.
                    Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [13 weeks]

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                    Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                    Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                    Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

• Not seeing any major media coverage of the Scammies at last. Proof how irrelevant they have become. It's always been a marketing and networking scam and nobody is taking them seriously anymore except for Beyonce lol She has not had a proper mainstream hit for over a decade so her husband keeps shaking hands with everyone to ensure she sweeps the board every year even if it's just for a fart. It's their way of convincing the world Beyonce is still the sh*t.
                      Anyone wants to predict who the big winner will be at Scammies 2022?

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                        Not Kanye winning Best Christian Music Album.
                        I found this to be a bit egregious, especially over some really great Gospel/Christian albums, including from We The Kingdom!
                        See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• One day the Carters scam to win, the next she cannot win the big four. So which is it?

Comment

• TV Ratings: Grammy Awards Hit New Lows in Early Numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                              One day the Carters scam to win, the next she cannot win the big four. So which is it?
                              Scammys, sales, streams and critical acclaim. Not everyone can do it all.

It's always good to see people mad, it means she's doing everything right.
                              "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• Lay-Z must try a lot harder next year. Clearly, having Beyonce as the annual receipient of Scammies is a turn off for most.

Comment

• Lay-Z is too good
                                  "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• I hate her.

Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• I just don't get the appeal to HER.
                                      She's just average singer and artist, and very forgetable.
                                      She's talented indeed, but we've seen much better artists than her...
                                      BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                                      YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• Is her album worth listening to ?

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                          Is her album worth listening to ?
                                          She hasn't released one yet. She has two consecutive AOTY nominations for two EP compilations with mediocre reviews and even worse sales.
                                          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ska8er View Post

She hasn't released one yet. She has two consecutive AOTY nominations for two EP compilations with mediocre reviews and even worse sales.
                                            Yeah just checked her WIKI page.

Comment

• I thought I'd give 'Savage' by Meghan Thee Stallion a(nother) spin, and I had to turn it off in the middle of the song. Then I thought like: 'Well, maybe she's different in an interview.' and randomly clicked on the first interview I could find. She's not as embarassing to watch at as Cardi B, but in the end, her whole image comes across as too... I don't know how to describe it... 'ratchet' I guess.
                                              I just don't get her appeal. Neither do I see her talent to justify the 'Best New Artist' victory.

Comment

• Megan deserved her Grammy and she is a great rapper.
                                                Diva!!!

Comment

• There's something I noticed when the artists got up to grab their awards: Why did they stand up, took the mask off, then went up to the stage? They probably got tested in advance, so it's more of a show element for the viewers anyway, but wouldn't it have made more sense to keep the mask on and take it off on stage?

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                                    I thought I'd give 'Savage' by Meghan Thee Stallion a(nother) spin, and I had to turn it off in the middle of the song. Then I thought like: 'Well, maybe she's different in an interview.' and randomly clicked on the first interview I could find. She's not as embarassing to watch at as Cardi B, but in the end, her whole image comes across as too... I don't know how to describe it... 'ratchet' I guess.
                                                    I just don't get her appeal. Neither do I see her talent to justify the 'Best New Artist' victory.
                                                    To call a female rapper ‘ratchet’ clearly shows that you are not her target audience and have no idea about her music genre.

How many years have we seen male rappers dominate boasting about strippers, prostitutes, drugs, gangs and guns.

Im not in her target audience but she’s exactly like Lil Kim, Foxxy Brown but unlike them she has cultivated a massive following virally literally being a staple of TikTok and ‘challenges’ that most teenagers emulated during lockdown. I understand her easy, college girl appeal and I love some of her songs but more importantly her. She’s also an excellent rapper too so technically and commercially, she’s blown it out if the park. Let’s not forget that many artists can get their money from tik tok and Instagram.
                                                    "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X