Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammys 2021 Thread (info, predictions, nominations, wins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bm08
    replied
    If someone wants to start (and be responsible for) the Grammys 2022 thread, now may be a good time to start it!

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    Despite the ceremony being entertaining, it's crazy how things have changed. What Janet did for publicity in the Superbowl is far tamer than the simulated lesbian sex move that Cardi and Megan did, they even got commended for empowering women. Britney, Christina and Madonna in their heyday who all did nothing close to that obscene stunt in the Grammys got far worse scrutiny by the press.

People need to get over the Kendrick Lamar snubs. He's amazing but obviously, for TV, a Kendrick Lamar win is boring to watch. Look at how Twitter explodes when Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion won, the Grammys want that attention. People tend to forget that the Grammys are a show, Grammy voters love rappers with truckloads of hits, he needs that to make a "good win" on TV.

Contrary to public opinion, Beyoncé deserved her four wins this year. However, if this was a non-politically correct themed Grammy season she would have lost. How can they snub "Formation" for R&B Performance and let "Black Parade" win? Or maybe it was strategic for Solange to finally win something in 2016 as well. Obviously, the historic wins for the Carter-Knowles family (including Blue Ivy who also won that night) aren't as celebrated or impactful as it is because they are influential, rich and successful. People see the math behind that. I still cannot get over the forced standing ovation in which the host practically begged the audience to do for her. LOL!

Also, if Taylor wasn't the most important artist in the last 25 years, they would have snubbed folklore. They didn't even award her a genre win for her submissions. It's crazy how they wanted to keep her wins at the minimum, but since her back-to-back albums in 2020 are the biggest-selling and most talked-about albums of the year, they have no choice but to give her the top prize. Taylor's powerful words in her speech, "Recording Academy, I would never forget that you did this to us" is like a threat. Imagine how many trolls would have laughed at the Grammys if Taylor had poor sportsmanship and pulled a The Weeknd boycott for snubbing her previous eras. The Grammys would have collapsed as an institution.

Leave a comment:

• Morningglory
    replied
    Originally posted by aaliyahman View Post

To call a female rapper ‘ratchet’ clearly shows that you are not her target audience and have no idea about her music genre.

How many years have we seen male rappers dominate boasting about strippers, prostitutes, drugs, gangs and guns.

Im not in her target audience but she’s exactly like Lil Kim, Foxxy Brown but unlike them she has cultivated a massive following virally literally being a staple of TikTok and ‘challenges’ that most teenagers emulated during lockdown. I understand her easy, college girl appeal and I love some of her songs but more importantly her. She’s also an excellent rapper too so technically and commercially, she’s blown it out if the park. Let’s not forget that many artists can get their money from tik tok and Instagram.
    Meghan literally said two days ago she "wanted to be the rap Beyonce.....what would Beyonce do, but make it a little more ratchet" so I'm not sure why you're trying to defend someone being called ratchet when clearly they embrace that description.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Ska8er : Kendrick Lamar could reduce the swear words a bit more, too, but I appreciate his storytelling approach and that he's going beyond the traditional rap topics.
    In the year, he got nominated for Best New Artist, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis won. My personal opinion aside and from a purely artistic point of view, I would've liked to see Kendrick Lamar or Kacey Musgraves win instead.

Regarding Meghan: She wouldn't have been my first choice, but she seems to be popular on here and if you guys think that she deserved the award, that's fine for me.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Mod Note:

I've issued infractions in this thread.

Please remain respectful and civil in discourse. There is no need to resort to name calling.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by oneofone View Post

There was no double standard at all. Everyone was just too busy laughing their arses off because of those noms and wins. There was literally nothing to talk about. And that was not grammy material from Megz. Or maybe it was because we live in a time where artistry means nothing and the focus is on quick cash. The scammies have lost their prestige over the years as any cheap hooker and pimp can get one nowadays. It's just another unrelatable awards show that people pay hardly any attention to.
    Yikes... You clearly have an agenda.
    Guess your fave was snubbed.

Leave a comment:

• oneofone
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post
    I wonder were certain people this vocal in discrediting the recipient of Best New Artist when Meghan bloody Trainor won it in 2016 plus nominations for record and song of the year for a song where she sang about her massive ass that all the boys loved. Were these same complaints made that the lyrics were below the quality required for the Grammys? Indeed Miz Trainor also performed her song on that Grammy stage.

Or are we seeing yet another example of double standards.
    There was no double standard at all. Everyone was just too busy laughing their arses off because of those noms and wins. There was literally nothing to talk about. And that was not grammy material from Megz. Or maybe it was because we live in a time where artistry means nothing and the focus is on quick cash. The scammies have lost their prestige over the years as any cheap hooker and pimp can get one nowadays. It's just another unrelatable awards show that people pay hardly any attention to.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    I wonder were certain people this vocal in discrediting the recipient of Best New Artist when Meghan bloody Trainor won it in 2016 plus nominations for record and song of the year for a song where she sang about her massive ass that all the boys loved. Were these same complaints made that the lyrics were below the quality required for the Grammys? Indeed Miz Trainor also performed her song on that Grammy stage.

Or are we seeing yet another example of double standards.

Leave a comment:

• Omiros
    replied
    Why are you all comparing Megan to Lauryn? There were many "ratchet" rappers back then too, they just weren't taken seriously back then because they were female.

There won't be another Lauryn. The closest thing we have to Lauryn know is probably Kendrick.

Anyway, let the girl enjoy her win. She worked hard to get to where she is and she's had the most critical and commercial success out of anyone in that category by far, regardless of whether or not you enjoy that genre.

Leave a comment:

• aaliyahman
    replied
    Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    aaliyahman : I believe that rap can be more than just speaking about 'strippers, prostitutes, drugs, gangs and guns'. In fact, it can also be interpreted as a vocal performance of poetry and Meghan Thee Stallion doesn't... quite go there. Each to their own, but being popular =/= being talented and 'Best New Artist' should be for the latter.

I didn’t say it couldn’t yet the majority of ‘rap legends’ did. Lauryn Hill is a great example of how you didn’t have to do that yet it doesn’t automatically think I’d discount Lil Kim, Foxxy and the likes just because they seem ‘ratchet’. Women should be able to speak on sex and act it out without someone clutching their pearls. As a rapper, Meg is talented enough. You might not like her subject matter but every best new artist shouldn’t need to sing/rap about waterfalls, heartbreak and knitting.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Reading the lyrics of 'Doo-Wop (That Thing)', I feel like the image Meghan Thee Stallion represents is quite what Lauryn Hill opposed back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• oneofone
    replied
    Originally posted by Nippian93 View Post

The drop in quality.
    For real. It's a reflection of the quality of music in the US nowadays. It's full of trashy untallented pop star wannabes who look the same, act the same, mumble the same and all get quickly forgotten about as soon as their split sec of momentary popularity wanes and nothing and nobody can save them from oblivion.

Leave a comment:

• Nippian93
    replied

The drop in quality.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    aaliyahman : I believe that rap can be more than just speaking about 'strippers, prostitutes, drugs, gangs and guns'. In fact, it can also be interpreted as a vocal performance of poetry and Meghan Thee Stallion doesn't... quite go there. Each to their own, but being popular =/= being talented and 'Best New Artist' should be for the latter.

Leave a comment:

• aaliyahman
    replied
    Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    I thought I'd give 'Savage' by Meghan Thee Stallion a(nother) spin, and I had to turn it off in the middle of the song. Then I thought like: 'Well, maybe she's different in an interview.' and randomly clicked on the first interview I could find. She's not as embarassing to watch at as Cardi B, but in the end, her whole image comes across as too... I don't know how to describe it... 'ratchet' I guess.
    I just don't get her appeal. Neither do I see her talent to justify the 'Best New Artist' victory.
    To call a female rapper ‘ratchet’ clearly shows that you are not her target audience and have no idea about her music genre.

How many years have we seen male rappers dominate boasting about strippers, prostitutes, drugs, gangs and guns.

Im not in her target audience but she’s exactly like Lil Kim, Foxxy Brown but unlike them she has cultivated a massive following virally literally being a staple of TikTok and ‘challenges’ that most teenagers emulated during lockdown. I understand her easy, college girl appeal and I love some of her songs but more importantly her. She’s also an excellent rapper too so technically and commercially, she’s blown it out if the park. Let’s not forget that many artists can get their money from tik tok and Instagram.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    There's something I noticed when the artists got up to grab their awards: Why did they stand up, took the mask off, then went up to the stage? They probably got tested in advance, so it's more of a show element for the viewers anyway, but wouldn't it have made more sense to keep the mask on and take it off on stage?

Leave a comment:

• HouseTargaryen
    replied
    Megan deserved her Grammy and she is a great rapper.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    I thought I'd give 'Savage' by Meghan Thee Stallion a(nother) spin, and I had to turn it off in the middle of the song. Then I thought like: 'Well, maybe she's different in an interview.' and randomly clicked on the first interview I could find. She's not as embarassing to watch at as Cardi B, but in the end, her whole image comes across as too... I don't know how to describe it... 'ratchet' I guess.
    I just don't get her appeal. Neither do I see her talent to justify the 'Best New Artist' victory.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by Ska8er View Post

She hasn't released one yet. She has two consecutive AOTY nominations for two EP compilations with mediocre reviews and even worse sales.
    Yeah just checked her WIKI page.

Leave a comment:

• Omiros
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post
    Is her album worth listening to ?
    She hasn't released one yet. She has two consecutive AOTY nominations for two EP compilations with mediocre reviews and even worse sales.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Is her album worth listening to ?

Leave a comment:

• croatiaxtina
    replied
    I just don't get the appeal to HER.
    She's just average singer and artist, and very forgetable.
    She's talented indeed, but we've seen much better artists than her...

Leave a comment:

• Omiros
    replied
    I hate her.

Leave a comment:

• Hugo
    replied
    Lay-Z is too good

Leave a comment:

• oneofone
    replied
    Lay-Z must try a lot harder next year. Clearly, having Beyonce as the annual receipient of Scammies is a turn off for most.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X