Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammys 2021 Thread (info, predictions, nominations, wins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She can't submit it for 2022!
    BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
    YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

Originally posted by Mugen View Post

She's apparently saving it for the album, so she'll probably submit for the 2022 Grammys.
      I read that too, which is pointless considering the hype around it will be non existent this time next year.

croatiaxtina she can if she doesn't this year.
      Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Just updated the OP with full list of confirmed submissions of most notable names.

The first round of voting is over, now we wait for the nominations announcement day.

Comment

I hope Bey submitted something for Best Song Written for Visual Media, because that category is weak this year.

Some great competition in the genre categories, although the GF is probably going to be a Weeknd vs Taylor affair.
          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

I hope Christina submited:
            Reflection for best pop vocal performance
            Loyal, Brave and True for best song for visual media
            and:
            Fall On Me for best pop duo

Comment

Wait we have two different Grammys 2020 threads? Can the mods merge them into one?

Comment

I completely forgot about The Highwomen. They probably get some noms as well, not only because their album was critically acclaimed, but also because Brandi Carlile & Maren Morris are part of the project and both were very loved by Grammys lately.

Comment

November 23rd is the announcement of the nominations, I will delete the submissions and add the nominations that day.

Comment

Originally posted by abi View Post
                    Wait we have two different Grammys 2020 threads? Can the mods merge them into one?
                    Can a mod merge the threads?
                    Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Nominations come out tomorrow everyone!

I hope Chloe x Halle and Megan get everything they submitted for. In an ideal scenario, I would also love Black Parade to get an ROTY nomn, but knowing the committee the overrated H.E.R. will block all of them.
                      Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Can't wait. I guess The Weeknd and Harry are only artists for sure in top3 categories + pop.

Comment

I will post all the noms on the first post tomorrow when they are published.

Comment

Rooting for Chloe x Halle (Prog. R&B, R&B Song & Performance), Jhene Aiko (same), Summer Walker/Usher (R&B Song & Performance for "Come Thru"), Chris Brown ("Go Crazy) and Beyonce ("Already")!

Comment

Hopefully, Dua gets all the noms she deserves.
                              Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [15 weeks] + Adele's return

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                              Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                              Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                              Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

Album of the year prediction:
                                Fine Line - Harry Styles
                                After Hours - The Weeknd
                                Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa
                                Folklore - Taylor Swift
                                Chromatica - Lady Gaga
                                Fetch The Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple
                                Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle

Bob Dylan? Pop Smoke? Run The Jewels? Tame Impala?
                                I would love if FKA Twigs could sneek in this category, but that's unlikely to happen

Best pop vocal album prediction
                                After Hours
                                Folklore
                                Fine Line
                                Future Nostalgia
                                Chromatica

Comment

My final predicitons:

AOTY
                                  Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
                                  Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
                                  Harry Styles - Fine Line
                                  Post Malone - Hollywood's Bleeding
                                  Roddy Ricch - Please Excuse Me for Being Antisocial
                                  Taylor Swift - Folklore
                                  The Highwomen - The Highwomen
                                  The Weeknd - After Hours

Runner-ups: Ungodly Hour (Chloe x Halle), Rough and Rowdy Ways (Bob Dylan), Chromatica (Lady Gaga), Jaime (Brittany Howard), Black Pumas (Black Pumas)

Most of these are a lock in my opinion. I'm only unsure about Post Malone, Roddy Rich and The Highwomen as they are the oldest albums on the list. Chloe x Halle have been working the promo circuit more than any other act, Bob Dylan might sneak in as a legacy act, and they do seem to like Lady Gaga a lot so she could get it too. I would be more confident in Chromatica if Gaga promoted, but since the album she only performed at the VMAs and released a video for '911', which she didn't even push as a single. Brittany Howard's album is genre bending and well received, whilst Black Pumas also have a shot after their BNA nomination last year.

SOTY
                                  Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now
                                  Billie Eilish - Everything I Wanted
                                  Fiona Apple - Shameika
                                  H.E.R. - I Can't Breathe
                                  Maren Morris - The Bones
                                  Post Malone - Circles
                                  Taylor Swift - Cardigan
                                  The Weeknd - Blinding Lights

Runner-ups: Adore You (Harry Stryles),Before You Go (Lewis Capaldi), Colors (Black Pumas), Murder Most Foul (Bob Dylan), The Bigger Picture (Lil Baby), Lockdown (Anderson. Paak), Black Parade (Beyoncé)

Again, I would have most of these for certain. I only see Billie potentially excluded, or maybe Dua. The BLM movement might make them include more topical songs like I Can't Breathe and some of the songs I mentioned as runner-ups, but I think they'll just allocate one spot and give it to H.E.R. since they like to nominate her for everything.

ROTY
                                  DaBaby - Rockstar (feat. Roddy Rich)
                                  Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now
                                  Harry Styles - Adore You
                                  H.E.R. - I Can't Breathe
                                  Maren Morris - The Bones
                                  Megan Thee Stallion - Savage Remix (feat. Beyoncé)
                                  Post Malone - Circles
                                  The Weeknd - Blinding Lights

Runner-ups: The Box (Roddy Rich), Say So (Doja Cat), Colors (Black Pumas), Murder Most Foul (Bob Dylan), The Bigger Picture (Lil Baby), Shameika (Fiona Apple), Lockdown (Anderson. Paak), Black Parade (Beyoncé), Playing Games (Summer Walker), Do It (Chloe x Halle), Everything I Wanted (Billie Eilish)

Similar to SOTY, we might have more BLM related songs here. I took out Cardigan and Shameika because they didn't have as much longevity or impact as the rest of the songs here, and Billie Eilish because the competition is too strong. I put Adore You, Savage and Rockstar which were huge hits. Harry would have a definite nomination with Watermelon Sugar, his label slipped up there, but if he gets an AOTY nomination then I see him appearing here too.

BNA
                                  Doja Cat
                                  Gabby Barrett
                                  Megan Thee Stallion
                                  Morgan Wallen
                                  Phoebe Bridgers
                                  Pop Smoke
                                  Rina Saewayama
                                  Summer Walker

I actually think Megan has this to be honest. No one else managed to have her level of impact this year.
                                  Last edited by Ska8er; Mon November 23, 2020, 22:13.
                                  Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Do you really think that 'Best New Artist' will go to an artist whose biggest hits' chorus goes like this:
                                    'I'm a savage (yeah)
                                    Classy, bougie, ratchet (yeah)
                                    Sassy, moody, nasty (yeah)
                                    Acting stupid, what's happening? Bitch (what's up?)
                                    What's happening? Bitch (what's up?)'

I mean, never say never, but I can't see that happening...
                                    Pro: freedom of speech
                                    Contra: cancel culture

Comment

BNA award will go either to Doja or Megan.
                                      While all best new artist award this year went to Doja, Grammy might go to Megan.

But there is Summer Walker also. She might split votes with Megan.

In that case Doja might win.

Comment

Originally posted by croatiaxtina View Post
                                        Album of the year prediction:
                                        Fine Line - Harry Styles
                                        After Hours - The Weeknd
                                        Folklore - Taylor Swift
                                        Chromatica - Lady Gaga

Bob Dylan? Pop Smoke? Run The Jewels? Tame Impala?
                                        I would love if FKA Twigs could sneek in this category, but that's unlikely to happen
                                        I forgot about Post Malone, but he's hardly going to get AOTY nomination. Might be too samey w The Weeknd album.

Lady Gaga might lose nomination for Chromatica. I agree with Ska8er due to her not doing anything to promote the album.

Last prediction:
                                        Fine Line - Harry Styles
                                        After Hours - The Weeknd
                                        Folklore - Taylor Swift
                                        Over It - Summer Walker

Lady Gaga, Bob Dylan, Pop Smoke, Post?

Harry Styles and The Weeknd will be nominated in all top 3 categories. And maybe Dua Lipa also

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                          Do you really think that 'Best New Artist' will go to an artist whose biggest hits' chorus goes like this:
                                          'I'm a savage (yeah)

That´s ridiculous lol. BNA is about more things than a chorus.
                                          You could do that same thing with All about that bass lyrics and yet Meghan won lol
                                          Not saying that it´s going to happen 100% because I could see a country act like Gabby or Morgan taking it but Megan has countless reassons to back a well-deserved win up
                                          Beauty is beauty, whether is black or white

Comment

Nominations announced today. I'm ready for the mess
                                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                              'I'm a savage (yeah)

I see your point, but last year they did give it so someone who's biggest his' chorus went "I'm the bad guy *insert breakdown*"

I would actually prefer if she didn't win to avoid the potential curse of past BNA winners, but especially the past few years they tend to give it to the artist that has had the greatest commercial impact. Megan has had two #1's, heavily promoted and performed in most award shows and SNL, and perfectly timed her album release as well.
                                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Ska8er : What are Megan's artistic potentials? I think that that also plays a role, not just the commercial impact.

The last 5 'Best New Artist' winners:
                                                - Meghan Trainor
                                                - Chance The Rapper
                                                - Alessia Cara
                                                - Dua Lipa
                                                - Billie Eilish

I actually agree with 4 out of the 5 choices: Meghan Trainor, Chance The Rapper, Dua Lipa and Billie Eilish, though I feel like Trainor's and Rapper's years were pretty weak in terms of competition. I would've replaced Alessia Cara with Khalid... I don't see the artistic potential to justify 'Best New Artist' in her case.

Comment

theMathematician What do you consider 'artistic potential' though? Is it the ability to perform, record, produce? A combination of these?

I would argue that Billie is heavily dependent on Finneas in terms of her sound, whilst Black Pumas and Maggie Rogers would be considered to have more 'artistic' potential considering they produce, write and record most of their material themselves. The year before makes for an even better argument, where Dua Lipa, which especially at the time she won was a by the numbers popstar, won over Chloe x Halle or H.E.R., both of which create most of their music alone and have carved a unique place in their field.

I understand what you mean, but I think that besides their artistry I also think they consider their potential relevance in the industry. From the eight nominees I predicted, Doja rubbed a lot of people the wrong way after Say So's success, Pop Smoke probably wouldn't even be nominated if it wasn't for his untimely death and Summer Walker released her album way too early and lost momentum.

Rina offered an exceptionally innovative sound, but considering her lack of promotion (I blame the label) I don't see her getting a lot of love. Phoebe Bridgers has quite the following considering she's on her fourth release so she could be a threat, Gabby Barrett currently has a big hit on radio so could have garnered some attention, and Morgan Wallen has also gained ground in the past couple months.

Out of all of them however, Megan is the only one to have a combination of success and critical acclaim. She has done all the promo I mentioned, she has had multiple hits, is widely respected by peers and does well with both Rap and Pop audiences. I personally think that all the stars are aligning for her.
                                                  Last edited by Ska8er; Tue November 24, 2020, 16:51.
                                                  Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Thanks for your detailed comment regarding your thoughts on the nominees in that category and why you consider Megan a possible winner all things considered!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X