Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammys 2021 Thread (info, predictions, nominations, wins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    He called the project 'R&B' right from the start and it charted on the US Billboard R&B/Hip Hop Albums Chart, so I get his point here. On the other hand, those nominations never seem exact. 'The 20/20 Experience' got nominated in the pop category as well, same for Ray Charles' 'Genius Loves Company' or Norah Jones' 'Come Away With Me’.
    Chromatica has been #1 on Billboard Dance/Electronic Albums for 23 weeks so far... but it’s nominated on Pop Vocal and not Dance/Electronic Albums at the Grammys...

Because her team/label decided to submit it for Pop...

All those cases you mentioned were because those albums were submitted to those categories... even if they don’t exactly match their genre.

Most of the times because labels think they have more chances to get a nomination or even win in that category over the other one or because one category is awarded on TV and that other doesn’t...

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
      He called the project 'R&B' right from the start and it charted on the US Billboard R&B/Hip Hop Albums Chart, so I get his point here. On the other hand, those nominations never seem exact. 'The 20/20 Experience' got nominated in the pop category as well, same for Ray Charles' 'Genius Loves Company' or Norah Jones' 'Come Away With Me'.

Regarding Nicki Minaj's comment: What has race got to do with it? Bon Iver's record that year scored a 86/100 on Metacritic, her 'Pink Friday' a 68/100. Clearly, Bon Iver is considered the artist with the bigger artistic potential.

What matter is what categories he submits to. Clearly the label submitted it to pop as they clearly didn't think it would get nominated in R&B. And tbh its primarily a pop record anyway with some R&B infleunces.
      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• So much drama already

Justin
        "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• Dua is so excited and happy! As she should.
          5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Added all noms on the first page, so we can discuss on these.

Initial reactions:

What happened to the The Weeknd, everyone and their mothers were sure of him being the face of Grammys 2021.

I dont like Bieber being nominated when so many other good albums,songs were out this year.
            Last edited by PopFan; Tue November 24, 2020, 22:33.

Comment

• I'm rooting for Eurovision Song Contest -The story of fire saga to win their nom!

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                What matter is what categories he submits to. Clearly the label submitted it to pop as they clearly didn't think it would get nominated in R&B. And tbh its primarily a pop record anyway with some R&B infleunces.
                Just found out that 'folklore' also got nominated in the pop category when it's labelled a folk album and charting on the Billboard Alternative Albums Chart. I think the idea that you can basically submit any album to any category, whether it fits musically or not, a bit irritating.
                Pro: freedom of speech
                Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• WTF, an atrocios set of nominations.

How on earth did The Weekend not score 1 nomination in the big four categories and Beyonce's already forgotten Black Parade is in there.

What I don't get is why is it always Beyonce......they never honour any of the other legendary black artist in the big categories (ala Mariah) .....yet feel compelled to nominate some mediocre songs.

BTW Happy for Dua Lipa, Don't Start Now was clearly a smash and it looks like she's starting to elevate her status in the industry globally (not just the UK). She's building and building so she's bound to land a #1 at some stage soon.

Comment

• Maybe next year they can start awarding artists just for the fact they're still alive, despite the fact they haven't put out anything remotely noteworthy in order to keep everyone pleased.
                    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• skylynx : Commercial success is not the criterion to get a nomination; otherwise, the Black Pumas' wouldn't have received a nomination for AOTY with a No. 200 peaking album. Besides, Mariah Carey is not black but mixed.

Hugo : Agreed!

Comment

• Justin really thought he has a chance in r&b categories

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
                          What I don't get is why is it always Beyonce......they never honour any of the other legendary black artist in the big categories (ala Mariah) .....yet feel compelled to nominate some mediocre songs.
                          Beyonce made her name.
                          All of you worship her whatever she does.

She's always nominated and will be always nominated.
                          She won SOTY for Single Ladies, you know

Such an overrated artist and person.

And remember that she realized she's black few years ago.

I can't even consider Black Parade as good song.

Her vocals are atrocious on that one.

But all the best to her.

I bet Grammy's will reedem one day to Abel for this.

I mean Bruno Mars win big few years ago with songs and album no one considered good.
                          BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                          YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• Not some UKMixers being more pressed about Black Parade than the Bieber, Coldplay and Noah Cyrus noms. Julia Michaels snuck into SOTY too but I don't see you stressing out about that.

The song deserves the recognition. No one expected it to be nominated due to the lack of promotion, not because of its quality. Get over it.
                            Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• So Yummy and Changes get nominations but The Weeknd gets none? That's some straight up bullshit.
                              How on earth is it possible for Blinding Lights not to get nominations? It's one of the biggest songs of all time and has great critical acclaim.
                              Something's wrong here and I wonder what made them completely snub him.

Love the nominations for Black Parade though. It's a brilliant song that deserves recognition.
                              "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

• "For The Weeknd, in every year you only have a certain amount of people you can nominate for each category," Mason told Billboard. "... We are excited about some of the other categories where he was nominated. It’s never easy to tell where people are going to land."

He made similar comments during a Q&A with Variety, explaining the steps of the nomination process, which he described as both fair and arduous.

"... All the records get the fairest of fair shakes. We listen to all the music — even an album, you’re listening to almost the whole album, it takes I don’t know how many hours," he said. "It’s a long, arduous process and people take pride in it. The people in that room care: there's no agendas in there, there's no 'let's snub this person' or that person. It's about. 'Let’s try and find excellence.' Also, you have to remember that committee can't vote on something that's not there."

Mason went on to briefly explain the Academy's two-step voting process, in which the committees make their decisions based on a shortlist of "the 20 top vote-getters from the general voting field." He would not, however, say whether The Weeknd's After Hours was on any of those shortlists. Mason also danced around the question of whether he could recall a time when a record as big as After Hours had been completely snubbed.

"I can’t ever remember a time when we’ve had 23,000 entries — that is the most entries we’ve ever had," he told Variety. "I can’t remember a time when we’ve ever had this much range of genres and different types of musicians and music all in the [top four] categories. It’s actually amazing."
                                Lol what a mess!!
                                "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

• It's not surprising that Beyoncé has nominations, EVERYTHING IS LOVE even won Best R&B Album, which is her worst album. I think the Grammys have come to terms knowing that the only fan base who cares about them is the BeyHive. However, snubbing The Weeknd was the biggest surprise. I guess all R&B wins will go to Beyoncé most certainly unless Jhené Aiko pulls an upset since she's the only R&B artist to land a general field nomination. H.E.R. got shut out for wins last year so many they will give another new Grammy win moment for another R&B girl.

The category changes are so cringe-worthy. Progressive R&B? Melodic Rap? All of these weird categories just to justify the generic trap sound nominations. Oh well! One thing's for sure, it's going to be a pity party and politically filled speeches for sure just to stay afloat and try to be relevant. This is their most out of touch set of nominations generally speaking.

Comment

• Another interesting thing is Black Pumas nom for AOTY for DELUXE EDITION.

That's first time that deluxe edition was nominated?
                                    While standard edition wasn't good enough last year?

Gr8 band, but that's funny.
                                    BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                                    YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• They better give those two Grammys to Chloe X Halle
                                      Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• croatiaxtina : Same happened with Lizzo's 'Cuz I Love You'.

-----

Most years of nominations in major categories (21st century):
                                        8: Taylor Swift
                                        6: Beyoncé
                                        5: Lady Gaga
                                        4: Ed Sheeran, Eminem, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar
                                        3: Adele, Bruno Mars, Coldplay, Drake, HER, John Mayer, Justin Timberlake, Mumford & Sons, Post Malone, the Black Eyed Peas, U2

Most consecutive years of nominations in major categories (21st century):
                                        4: Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift
                                        3: HER, Lady Gaga, Mumford & Sons, Post Malone

I'm excluding features and other formations (e.g. part of groups) here.

Comment

• Didn't expect him to call them out publicly. It won't change a thing unfortunately...
                                          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• I have never heard of the Black Pumas I have to admit ..
                                            Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                            Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Black Pumas' album is one of my most played this year. They're good, and I suspected they could get some love because of last year's BNA nom, but I didn't think they'd get AOTY. They were barely eligible to be fair, half of the new songs are live covers.
                                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• I still can't wrap around my head that yummy yummy yummy yum is a GRAMMY-nominated song just like the album which was penned by critics (57 on Metacritic).

Comment

• Yeah, weird nominations this year. Some make absolutely sense, but there still are no real (positive) surprises. Also, I knew the nominations wouldn't be the way I "want" them or expected them, but they're even more off than I thought

The snubs for The Weeknd, Harry Styles, even Gaga are shocking.

At least Trevor Noah is hosting, high expectations for him!

And I guess I'll be rooting for Taylor two sweep then...

Originally posted by abi View Post
                                                  I still can't wrap around my head that yummy yummy yummy yum is a GRAMMY-nominated song just like the album which was penned by critics (57 on Metacritic).
                                                  I told my partner about that yesterday and he was extremely shocked as well...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ska8er View Post

Didn't expect him to call them out publicly. It won't change a thing unfortunately...
                                                    Didn't Ariana call them out publicly as well and got several noms the following year? Maybe it will help

Comment

Working...
                                                    X