Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grammys 2021 Thread (info, predictions, nominations, wins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeph
    replied
    Originally posted by GetBack View Post
    I have loved folklore long enough to be sick of Taylor at this point. I hope she gets snubbed in 2021, which won't happen obviously, because she's shaping to be the biggest selling artist of 2021 as well. I think if she gets an Album of the Year nomination again for evermore (which is basically a B side of folklore) or much worse, Fearless (Taylor's Version), it would be too much. It would be worse than Blue Ivy winning again. LOL!
    Really have to agree with you there.
    Next we will have all the West family winning Grammies, too. North can win producer of the year while Saint can win album art. The Grammies ain’t what they used to be but now they are not what they are supposed to be. They were never fair and balanced and the voting blocks over the years have shown that. So I’m not surprised that many artists dismiss the award. The only prestige it has is a legacy it may have once lived up to but has failed since the 80s on.

Evermore is really the B side of Folklore and it’s a mega seller (can’t deny Taylor’s dominance; however artistically there are other albums which merit evermore recognition.

Leave a comment:

• GetBack
    replied
    I have loved folklore long enough to be sick of Taylor at this point. I hope she gets snubbed in 2021, which won't happen obviously, because she's shaping to be the biggest selling artist of 2021 as well. I think if she gets an Album of the Year nomination again for evermore (which is basically a B side of folklore) or much worse, Fearless (Taylor's Version), it would be too much. It would be worse than Blue Ivy winning again. LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Morningglory
    replied
    Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    There have been a dozen cases of artists whose only Grammy award is their award for 'Best New Artist', including the most recent case Alessia Cara.
    A very rare phenomenon is artists whose only Grammy award is their award for 'Album of the Year'. It only happened twice thus far: Fleetwood Mac and Arcade Fire.
    Fleetwood Mac had the unfortunate circumstance of having no Pop Album category during the Rumours era, as did most every artist until the category became a staple in the Mid 90's. Rumours lost Pop Duo/Group to a track (the other three nominees were also for albums), so who knows if it would have won Pop Album (I like to think it would have won, though lol)

Also to add to your tidbit, I believe Astrud Gilberto and Toni Tennille are the only artists to be awarded Record of the Year, and no other grammy award to their name.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    There have been a dozen cases of artists whose only Grammy award is their award for 'Best New Artist', including the most recent case Alessia Cara.
    A very rare phenomenon is artists whose only Grammy award is their award for 'Album of the Year'. It only happened twice thus far: Fleetwood Mac and Arcade Fire.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Thanks guys! If all voters are allowed to vote in the 4 major categories, how do they make sure that they listen to every record that's nominated and not just the only one they know? There have been years when the underdog won after all (Herbie Hancock or Beck winning AOTY, Esparanza Spalding winning Best New Artist), and especially this year, the Best New Artist category had a higher than usual amount of underdogs.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Tbh, Future Nostalgia had no chance against Folklore.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Yep I guess she lost many votes for people sticking to country alternative cetagories etc which then opted for her on AOTY

Leave a comment:

• Morningglory
    replied
    Winning in a major category, but not in a genre's category: It happens rarely, but what do you think could be the reason for that? If an album is the best album of the year, you'd assume that it's also the best album of its respective genre. I kind of understand Mumford & Sons' 'Babel' winning AOTY but losing Best Americana Album as the winner of that category wasn't nominated for AOTY. What about the odd case of Taylor Swift's 'Folklore' and Dua Lipa's 'Future Nostalgia' being nominated for both, AOTY and Best Pop Vocal Album, with the former being considered the best overall album, yet not the best pop album? Are different juries involved here?

Winning Album of the Year, but not Best New Artist: I just found out that in the year Alanis Morissette won AOTY, she was also nominated for Best New Artist but lost to Hootie & the Blowfish. I wonder what they were trying to imply with that decision... Maybe they assumed that Alanis Morissette just had luck releasing an awesome album that year, while they considered Hootie & the Blowfish the artistically more talented out of the two.
    Simple. Every member can vote for the four GF awards, but only up to 15 genre categories. So Taylor may have lost out due to more members using one of their 15 genre category options for Pop Album, so in theory Future Nostalgia could have received 501 votes for Pop Album, and Folklore receiving 500. But for Album of the Year, it could have been a blowout in favour of Folklore for all we know.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    You do realize that the Grammys are decided on a vote dont you ? No one sits around discussing the nominees and decides oh lets give this award to such a person and this award to another person. People vote, annonymously, and the person with the most votes win the award.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Winning in a major category, but not in a genre's category: It happens rarely, but what do you think could be the reason for that? If an album is the best album of the year, you'd assume that it's also the best album of its respective genre. I kind of understand Mumford & Sons' 'Babel' winning AOTY but losing Best Americana Album as the winner of that category wasn't nominated for AOTY. What about the odd case of Taylor Swift's 'Folklore' and Dua Lipa's 'Future Nostalgia' being nominated for both, AOTY and Best Pop Vocal Album, with the former being considered the best overall album, yet not the best pop album? Are different juries involved here?

Winning Album of the Year, but not Best New Artist: I just found out that in the year Alanis Morissette won AOTY, she was also nominated for Best New Artist but lost to Hootie & the Blowfish. I wonder what they were trying to imply with that decision... Maybe they assumed that Alanis Morissette just had luck releasing an awesome album that year, while they considered Hootie & the Blowfish the artistically more talented out of the two.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Going through the lists of previous years, there really have been overall strong and overall weak years.
    Example for a strong year: The year, '1989', 'To Pimp a Butterfly' and 'Traveller' got nominated for AOTY. All of those albums ended up becoming becoming staples in their respective genres and would've stood good chances of winning if released in other years.
    Examples for weak years: Meghan Trainor and Alessia Cara both won Best New Artist. Now you could argue that both are not the most talented artists of the past decade, but in the year of their nomination, they were actually the best among rather weak competition.
    Adele's '21' was probably the most obvious winner for AOTY. The other albums nominated that year had no real chance, which is not that exciting from a viewer's point of view.

So yeah, when we argue 'Too bad X or Y didn't win!', we always need to consider the competition in that year.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    'Song of the Year' goes to songs with outstanding songwriting qualities. Did you know that the last time a song won that category with just one songwriter was 13 years ago? It's been Amy Winehouse's 'Rehab'.

Leave a comment:

• aaliyahman
    replied
    Originally posted by Morningglory View Post
    She also has a song titled ratchet, but I guess no one else can call her ratchet. Noted.

again, no clue why you’re so worried about someone describing her or her music ratchet (or ghetto, as that’s apparently what you took that user for really meaning), when Megan Thee Stallion fully embraces being ratchet.
    Completely missed the point. Noted.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Iconic ! Savage was by far the best rap song nominated and deserved it's wins.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
    This obsession over swearing is something else.
    Like using slander automatically takes you off of the worthy-artist status.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

But you almost get a sense, from the discussions here and elsewhere, the difficulty these artists have in breaking through. This is particularly complex when you think about the fact that certain genres and communities use swearing more than others.

Leave a comment:

• KEY9481
    replied
    This obsession over swearing is something else.
    Like using slander automatically takes you off of the worthy-artist status.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Yet the people who vote on the awards gave the woman three of them so they clearly don't have a problem with how she represents herself. This is all coming from you, not them.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    She can represent herself in any way she wants as long as it's within the legal frame. The question was whether her artistic abilities are worth a Grammy. And in that context, using a significant amount of swear words may not be an boost in artistry.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Agreed, it's not about her sex or her race but about the way she represents herself. I'm not sure whether it's consistent with what the Grammys stand for.
    Who exactly are you to tell Meghan Thee Stallion how she should represent herself?

Leave a comment:

• Omiros
    replied
    She also has a song titled ratchet, but I guess no one else can call her ratchet. Noted.

again, no clue why you’re so worried about someone describing her or her music ratchet (or ghetto, as that’s apparently what you took that user for really meaning), when Megan Thee Stallion fully embraces being ratchet.
    It depends on the context in which the word is being used. 'Ratchet', along with many other potential derogatory words, has both positive and negative connotations. Whilst some of you use it to criticize her, Meghan uses it to embrace her personality and roots, choosing to see the positive aspects of its meaning instead of reinforcing the negative stigma around it.

Leave a comment:

• Morningglory
    replied
    Agreed, it's not about her sex or her race but about the way she represents herself. I'm not sure whether it's consistent with what the Grammys stand for.
    the Grammys aren’t even consistent with what they supposedly stand for: Excellence in music...I mean Yummy/Changes should not have touched Best Pop anything but alas.. lol

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Morningglory
    replied
    Originally posted by aaliyahman View Post

Because there’s a difference between being a little more ratchet than Beyoncé and then somebody, ‘not being able to get through a song’ because it’s too...ratchet. Meg owns her sexuality whilst some people think it’s offensive. Let’s also not pretend that Meg saying she wanted to be a little ratchet is the same as other people saying it (in place of ghetto).

Leave a comment:

• aaliyahman
    replied

Meghan literally said two days ago she "wanted to be the rap Beyonce.....what would Beyonce do, but make it a little more ratchet" so I'm not sure why you're trying to defend someone being called ratchet when clearly they embrace that description.
    Because there’s a difference between being a little more ratchet than Beyoncé and then somebody, ‘not being able to get through a song’ because it’s too...ratchet. Meg owns her sexuality whilst some people think it’s offensive. Let’s also not pretend that Meg saying she wanted to be a little ratchet is the same as other people saying it (in place of ghetto).

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    If someone wants to start (and be responsible for) the Grammys 2022 thread, now may be a good time to start it!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X