No announcement yet.

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate - [#60 - 56: Big names fall]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep the votes coming! So far, 3 songs have an average of 10 or above! The lowest scroed song averages 1.86!

The highest average album stands at 8.03! and the lowest at 6.40!

It's up to YOU to shake things up!
    VOTE UKMIX PARADE CHOICE AWARDS

Comment

I’ve just sent my votes to both of you guys, lmk if I need to fix or redo something.

ps: what a fantastic, fabulous, magnificent discography

Comment

Merry Christmas - In my country we don't celebrate Christmas (jewish), but of course there are alot of different pepole and beliefs (just like everywhere else), so it took a while until I heard Merry Christmas, I guess it was only in the early 2000's - strange to think about it now, more so cause ever since I've been such a die hard fan and I follow every step she makes.
        Though I was always in awe of her vocal performances on the Christmas songs (& everything else obviously) and felt it's special connection for her on a spiritual level, It took some time until I fully embraced it. by the time MC2U had arrived I was totally hooked so I could really appreciate it by then.
        MC is an incredible body of work and was so invested by Mariah & her label and it's still is. I love seeing Mariah putting so much effort and life to her christmas music every year and she truly deserves all the success, love & validation she gets from it. it's timeless.

Oh and All I Want For Christmas Is You is a 11/10 song. there is no song in the world like it.
        Last edited by Tomer_MC; Thu February 25, 2021, 13:41.
        #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

The vocals on Merry Christmas are some of her best. I also love the fact that MC took the more traditional route in terms of the kinds of songs she recorded for the album and paying homage to both the religious and secular aspects of the holiday.
          See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
          See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

I'll be voting soon!!
            http://oi42.tinypic.com/2m3lnpv.jpg

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair

www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

Originally posted by sYair View Post
              I'll be voting soon!!
              The more people vote, the better! So many lambs, so many different tastes.
              My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Album Title: daydream
                Release Date: October 3rd 1995 by Columbia Records

General Info: Mariah's fifth studio album, Daydream, found her consolidating creative control over her career, leading to tensions with Columbia as the album featured a departure from her allegiance to pop and gravitated heavily towards R&B and hip hop. Throughout the project, Mariah collaborated with Walter Afanasieff, with whom she wrote and produced most of her two previous albums, but still she considers Daydream to be the beginning of her musical and vocal transformation, a change that became more apparent in her next album. While Columbia allowed Carey more leniency with the music she recorded, they became hesitant when she featured Ol' Dirty Bastard in the remix for "Fantasy". They feared the sudden change was completely left field for her music, and worried it would jeopardize the album's success. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Mariah openly spoke of her issues with Columbia: "Everybody was like 'What, are you crazy?' They're nervous about breaking the formula. It works to have me sing a ballad on stage in a long dress with my hair up."

Reviews: Critically, the album was described as Mariah's best to date. The New York Times named it one of 1995's best albums and concluded: "[the album] brings R&B candy-making to a new peak of textural refinement [...] Carey's songwriting has taken a leap forward and become more relaxed, sexier and less reliant on thudding clichés."

Commercial performance: Daydream became her biggest-selling album in the United States, and her second album to be certified Diamond by the RIAA, after Music Box. The album continued Mariah's dominance in Asian music markets and sold in excess of 2.2 million copies in Japan alone and over 20 million copies globally.

Singles: The album's lead single, "Fantasy", became the first single by a female artist to debut at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, and the second single, "One Sweet Day", a collaboration with R&B group Boyz II Men, remained atop the Billboard Hot 100 for a record-breaking 16 consecutive weeks, becoming the longest-running number-one song in history for 23 years, until Lil Nas X broke it.

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
                Fantasy 1 4 1 1 5 17
                One Sweet Day with Boys II Men 1 6 2 1 5 25
                Open Arms - 4 27 - 29 65
                Always Be My Baby 1 3 17 1 - 76
                Forever - - 77 11 - -
                Underneath The Stars - - - - - -

Accolades: Daydream and its singles were nominated in six categories at the 38th Grammy Awards. Though considered a favorite to win the top awards of the evening, Carey was shut out, prompting her to comment "What can you do? I will never be disappointed again." In July 2017, the album ranked at number 97 on the list for the 150 greatest female albums of all time by the National Public Radio.

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of Feb 27th 2021

Fantasy Official Video - 73.811.686 views
                Fantasy Remix feat. O.D.B. Official Video - 27.269.936 views
                Fantasy from Fantasy: Live at Madison Square Garden - 1.927.923 views
                Fantasy from Around The World - 553.548 views
                One Sweet Day with Boys II Men Official Video - 219.764.040 views
                One Sweet Day with Boys II Men from Fantasy: Live at Madison Square Garden - 8.615.586 views
                Open Arms Official Video - 483.269 views
                El Amor Que Sone Official Video - 817.418 views
                Open Arms from Fantasy: Live at Madison Square Garden - 7.415.734 views
                Open Arms from Top of the Pops - 651.972 views
                Always Be My Baby Official Video - 220.712.908 views
                Always Be My Baby Mr. Dupri Remix feat. Da Brat & XScape - 1.316.208 views
                Always Be My Baby from Fantasy: Live at Madison Square Garden - 1.307.986 views
                Always Be My Baby Live from Tokyo Dome - 492.316 views
                Always Be My Baby Live at iHeart Living Room Concert For America - 2.052.549 views
                Forever (Live Video Version) - 10.098.321 views
                Forever from Fantasy: Live at Madison Square Garden - 4.950.394 views
                Underneath The Stars Official Video - 889.103 views

Songs listed in the ballot:

Fantasy
                Underneath the Stars
                One Sweet Day (with Boyz II Men)
                Open Arms
                Always Be My Baby
                I Am Free
                When I Saw You
                Long Ago
                Melt Away
                Forever
                Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix)
                Looking In
                Always Be My Baby (Always Club Mix)
                Always Be My Baby (ft. Da Brat & Xscape) [Mr. Dupri Mix]
                Fantasy (Def Club Mix)
                Fantasy (Live At MSG)
                Fantasy (ft. Ol' Dirty Bastard) [Bad Boy Fantasy]
                One Sweet Day Chuky's Remix (feat. Boyz II Men)
                Underneath the Stars (Drifting Remix)

Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Daydream album.

Comment

A great era, no doubt about it! 583M views, the biggest surprise to me was OSD almost matching ABMB! Ok, I know it's a record-breaking 16-week #1 song, but still I was not expecting that.

Comment

Daydream was such a great era. I had met some other fans by then and it was great looking forward to the new album together. Also, there were so many singles: Fantasy, One Sweet Day, Open Arms, Always Be My Baby, Forever (and Underneath The Stars).
                    And then there was the TOUR!!!!! First time she came to Europe for concerts! I was soooo thrilled.

Fantasy: To me it was like the new Dreamlover when I first heard it. At first I prefered Dreamlover, later I prefered Fantasy and nowadays I switch between the two. But I was really happy with Fantasy, especially as it had a really great re-sung dance remix.

One Sweet Day: Another single with a re-sung remix. It was such a great time to be a fan. Also Joy To The World was released around this time with new re-sung remixes.

Open Arms: This has never been a favorite of mine, but as I'll Be There and Without You both were #1 hits here, I thought this could do really well. Although it was a Top 40 hit, it didn't do as well as Fantasy and One Sweet Day which were both Top 10 hits. The best thing that Open Arms gave us were some great tv-performances and a great cd-single with some amazing live versions. I was especially very happy with the live versions of Fantasy and Make It Happen.

Always Be My Baby: This was my favorite song when I first heard the album and was really happy to see it being released as a single. A shock though, to see it ending up in the lower half of the Top 40. I couldn't believe it! Thankfully it did a lot better in the US. The release brought me the most joy anyway as there were two cd-singles with new re-sung remixes and a completely new song: Slippin' Away.

Forever: Such a great song with the long belting notes. So Blessed from the Emotions album was a huge favorite of mine at the time and I was hoping she'd make another song in that vein and I think it's safe to say, Forever is that song. The strange thing about the single release was that Mariah said at her concert in Rotterdam it was the new single. Radio started to play it on heavy rotation, but there was no single to be found in the stores. Then after summer was over and radio finally stopped playing it, it was officially released and entered the bubbling under charts. But as radio had stopped playing the song, it failed to reach the Top 40. I never understood why it took them so long to release the single when it was all over the radio (and TV) for weeks before.

Underneath The Stars: Mariah talked about filming the video in our country and it was in one of the newspapers how they saw Mariah filming in the Vondel Park. Such a shame it wasn't released... until last year! The re-sung remixes were only available on a very hard-to-get and expensive promo cd-single. Luckily, one of my friends got her hands on it and let me record it onto Mini-Disc, so I could play them as well.

In the 80s and early 90s I had over 100 posters of Madonna on the walls of my room. There was no room for any other artist. But in the mid-90s I had taken down all the posters and had only one Madonna poster on the wall. But with my growing love for Mariah it was for the first time in ten years that I had someone else on my wall than just Madonna. I had a poster of the Fantasy single cover (black and white) which I just had to stick to the wall. So there it was: Madonna and Mariah, my two favorite singers at the time (and still to this day).

The Daydream Tour was another highlight in me being a fan. I just had to have tickets, but the queue was long... I had some conversation with the two girls in front of me, but just when it was their turn... there were no tickets left... We were so upset!
                    Luckily, my friend (who also had bought the Underneath The Stars cd-single) had bought two tickets (for herself and her brother). When she heard I didn't have any tickets she sold me her brother's ticket! Next we made plans to go to Paris to see at least two concerts of the tour. As Mariah only gave four concerts in Europe, I bragged I had seen half the tour. LOL
                    Funny thing happened when we got into the coach that brought us to Paris... The girls that had stand in line right in front of me, were in the bus too! My friend exchanged addresses with one of them and wrote with the girl for years. Years went by and I started my job as a teacher and then my friend said: "That's funny, you work in the same village as where that Mariah fan lives." Even funnier was that I had a trainee who had the same name (but didn't look like her at all). I decided to bring up Mariah anyway and my trainee happened to be the same girl! (She had gotten rid of her glasses, cut her hair short and dyed it a different color, so that's why I didn't recognize her. Besides, we only had seen each other twice, years before.)

Comment

lol Ray, loved the story about the other fan!

By the time Daydream was arriving, MTV was well established in Argentina so I learnt about the album before its release. But to be fair, although Music Box made me a fan, I was not fussed about it. I knew I would buy it someday, but couldn't find the exitement to go buy it in the first day. Maybe it was because I was 16 and none of my friends liked Mariah, and I just returned to Buenos Aires with my family after some years living in a small city in Argentina, where all my real firends were. So I was trying to fit in a new group and none were Mariah lovers so I was trying to match, listening to U2 to fit in!

Thing is that I was visiting my closest frineds in this small city during a weekend, and it was shortly after my birthday, so three of them told me they wanted to buy me a CD, so we went to the local record store and there it was, Daydream all over the place. I told them "I want this one" and all were surrprised, because they didn't raelly know I liked her. So we went to one of my friend's house, were I was staying, and I was kinda shy about the album. I wanted to listen to it but was going to wait until I got home. But I was there, my friend said "hey, put the record on" and I was "oh no, you won't like it, I'll check it at home" and he was "nono, i want to check it out" so we play the record. I was a very shy guy back then and I still remember feeling weird. I was afraid they would say "this is it???" and at the same time I was discovering the songs for the very first time... But then something happened: the mother of my friend came, sat with us, and danced a little, praised Mariah a lot, and thank me for introducing her to mariah... and I loved that lol.

Mariah got me with this album. I loved it from start to finish, my favs would change week after week. I was obsessed about When I saw You at one point. She really got me, and since then my love for her never waved. Looking In was haunting, and I was enjoying the more r&b sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        lol Ray, loved the story about the other fan!

By the time Daydream was arriving, MTV was well established in Argentina so I learnt about the album before its release. But to be fair, although Music Box made me a fan, I was not fussed about it. I knew I would buy it someday, but couldn't find the exitement to go buy it in the first day. Maybe it was because I was 16 and none of my friends liked Mariah, and I just returned to Buenos Aires with my family after some years living in a small city in Argentina, where all my real firends were. So I was trying to fit in a new group and none were Mariah lovers so I was trying to match, listening to U2 to fit in!
                        Not only was the girl I met in the queue my trainee years later, her friend (the other girl that was with her in the queue) also became a teacher and later worked at the school where I teach (just for one year though). Sadly they were no longer friends and no longer Mariah fans.

Listening to U2 to fit in? OMG! I never had a lot of friends, because I never tried to fit in. I "hated" U2 as everyone thought they were so brilliant and were so much more respected than my favorites like Madonna and Mariah. Still, I didn't care what everybody thought and walked around with Madonna t-shirts and bought everyone Mariah and Celine Dion cd's as birthday presents.

Comment

Daydream - I was stuuned to learn that those years were Mariah's most difficult in her personal life as described and detailed in her Memoir. to think that all that creativity and positive energy she pured and put out on Fantasy & Always Be My Baby lyricly and visualy, she was actually, well.... daydreaming - what a briliiant title!!!
                          Who knew that it was Looking In - the last track on the album and one of the least publicly adressed (certainly at that time) what she lived. I used to have the lyrics to this song (among other Mariah songs) written on a paper and hung on my wall. and I Am Free? Come on, totally the opppsite!

Also crazy was to learn that she created another alt album at that time!!!

I love this album. Melt Away & Looking In are my absolute favs.

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                            Listening to U2 to fit in? OMG! I never had a lot of friends, because I never tried to fit in. I "hated" U2 as everyone thought they were so brilliant and were so much more respected than my favorites like Madonna and Mariah. Still, I didn't care what everybody thought and walked around with Madonna t-shirts and bought everyone Mariah and Celine Dion cd's as birthday presents.
                            I like U2, was not torture at all, but during those teenage year (12 to 16) I was moving around a lot and it was hard fo rme to make friends. I suffered that a lot. Music was for me a way to connect. And yep, all my friends at the new school were U2-obsessed and I kinda absorved all their discography at the speed of light. Again, I liked them, but I also know it was a way of connecting.

So it was never that I would listen to Heavy Metal just to fit in, I couldn't lol!!!! But yes I realize that as noone liked Mariah, I kinda stopped listening to her during 1995. Daydream rescued me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post

I like U2, was not torture at all, but during those teenage year (12 to 16) I was moving around a lot and it was hard fo rme to make friends. I suffered that a lot. Music was for me a way to connect. And yep, all my friends at the new school were U2-obsessed and I kinda absorved all their discography at the speed of light. Again, I liked them, but I also know it was a way of connecting.

So it was never that I would listen to Heavy Metal just to fit in, I couldn't lol!!!! But yes I realize that as noone liked Mariah, I kinda stopped listening to her during 1995. Daydream rescued me lol.
                              I didn't really hate U2, but having other students say how superior they were in comparison to Madonna and Mariah (and basicaly any female singer) made me "hate" U2.

Comment

Leo I guess every where during the 90's (esp mid 90's) U2 & Oasis were the biggest acts and were considered "cooler", as I remember similar situations growing up with my friends and their inner circle.
                                Last edited by Tomer_MC; Sun February 28, 2021, 01:54.

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                  [B]
                                  The Daydream Tour was another highlight in me being a fan. I just had to have tickets, but the queue was long... I had some conversation with the two girls in front of me, but just when it was their turn... there were no tickets left... We were so upset!
                                  Luckily, my friend (who also had bought the Underneath The Stars cd-single) had bought two tickets (for herself and her brother). When she heard I didn't have any tickets she sold me her brother's ticket! Next we made plans to go to Paris to see at least two concerts of the tour. As Mariah only gave four concerts in Europe, I bragged I had seen half the tour. LOL
                                  Funny thing happened when we got into the coach that brought us to Paris... The girls that had stand in line right in front of me, were in the bus too! My friend exchanged addresses with one of them and wrote with the girl for years. Years went by and I started my job as a teacher and then my friend said: "That's funny, you work in the same village as where that Mariah fan lives." Even funnier was that I had a trainee who had the same name (but didn't look like her at all). I decided to bring up Mariah anyway and my trainee happened to be the same girl! (She had gotten rid of her glasses, cut her hair short and dyed it a different color, so that's why I didn't recognize her. Besides, we only had seen each other twice, years before.)

Great story. loved reading it!

Comment

Daydream really continues to be an incredible era for her. IMO, it could be her most classic era. Even now, songs like Fantasy, One Sweet Day and Always Be My Baby get renewed life and interest from things like viral videos, samples, etc. And there's a reason for that, given just how incredible those songs are.

But, there are so many hidden gems too. Like fan favourite Melt Away. That song is perhaps Mariah at her best as that song is as smooth as liquor. Everything from the production, to the lyrics to the vocals I love!
                                    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

Album Title: Butterfly
                                      Release Date: September 16th 1997 by Columbia Records

General Info: Mariah's music began relying less on pop and adult contemporary-tinged balladry and instead incorporating heavy elements of hip-hop and R&B. On Butterfly, Carey collaborated with a bevy of producers other than Afanasieff, such as Sean Combs, Q-Tip, Missy Elliott and Jean Claude Oliver and Samuel Barnes from Trackmasters. In the booklet of her twelfth studio album, Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel (2009), Mariah wrote that she considers Butterfly her magnum opus and a turning point in both her life and career. Butterfly introduced a more subdued style of singing, with critics noting Carey's incorporation of breathy vocals. Some viewed her lack of propensity to use her upper range as a sign of maturity, while others questioned whether it forebode waning vocal prowess. The music video for the album's lead single, "Honey", her first since separating from Mottola, introduced a more overtly sexual image.

Reviews: Butterfly garnered generally positive reviews from music critics, many of whom embraced Carey's musical transition. Reviewers complimented the album for its mature sound and production and commended Mariah's musical direction. In their review of the album, Rolling Stone wrote "[It's] not as if Carey has totally dispensed with her old saccharine, Houston-style balladry [...] but the predominant mood of 'Butterfly' is one of coolly erotic reverie." AllMusic editor Stephen Thomas Erlewine described Carey's vocals as "sultrier and more controlled than ever," and felt the album "illustrates that Carey continues to improve and refine her music, which makes her a rarity among her '90s peers.'

Commercial performance: Though released during Carey's heavily publicized conflict with Sony Music, the album became a commercial success, topping the albums chart in many countries, including Australia, Canada, Japan, the Netherlands, as well as the United States. It was certified five-times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), received the Million Award in Japan, and has sold over 10 million copies worldwide.

Singles: "Honey" featured musical samples from Treacherous Three's "The Body Rock", and "Hey DJ" by The World's Famous Supreme Team. The track used both hip hop and R&B with traces of pop music and was described as a "[song with a] catchy chorus, combining hip hop and pop into something that simply wasn't going to be denied by anyone, and offering a powerful start to a record." The album's second single, "Butterfly", was one of the ballads Carey wrote with Afanasieff. Carey described the song as the "favorite ballad she had ever written", one that was more personal than her previous work as the emotions conveyed through the song allude at just how meaningful the lyrics are to her. "Breakdown", described as "the album's backbone, its real declaration of independence", was written by Carey and Puffy and included rap verses from Wish and Krayzie Bone from Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. Author Chris Nickson wrote that "'Breakdown' showed Mariah treading forcefully into territory that was new for her and making it her own."

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
                                      Honey 1 3 8 1 39 38
                                      Butterfly - 22 27 22 43 76
                                      The Roof (Back In Time) - 87 - - - -
                                      Breakdown (feat. Krayzie Bone and Wish Bone) - 98 38 - - -
                                      My All 1 4 39 28 6 30

Accolades: "Honey" was nominated at the 1998 Grammy Awards for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B Song, while "Butterfly" was nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. Mariah won the American Music Award for Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist in 1998. Additionally, the album won the BMI Pop Award for Songwriter of the Year and the Songwriter awards for "Honey", "Butterfly" and "My All". At the Soul Train Music Awards in 1998, Mariah won the awards for the Aretha Franklin Entertainer of the Year and Soul Train Lady of Soul, which were presented to her by Chris Tucker and Patti Labelle.
                                      "No amount of awards could replace the popular acceptance of Butterfly and the feeling she was now free to live her own life – creatively and personally." In a recent list compiled by a selection of rock critics, Butterfly was chosen as one of the 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 1st 2021

Honey Official Video - 44.749.706 views
                                      Honey Bad Boy Remix Video feat. Mase & The Lox - 15.700.709 views
                                      Honey from Around The World - 784.963 views
                                      Butterfly Official Video - 33.870.227 views
                                      The Roof Official Video - 7.645.580 views
                                      Breakdown feat. Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone Official Video - 34.595.165 views
                                      My All Official Video - 162.823.026 views
                                      My All / Stay Awhile Remix feat. Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz Video - 977.880 views
                                      My All from Around The World - 1.973.907 views
                                      Whenever You Call Official Video - 11.129.437 views
                                      Close My Eyes Live at Home for Good Morning America - 293.459 views

Honey
                                      Butterfly
                                      My All
                                      The Roof (Back In Time)
                                      Fourth of July
                                      Breakdown (ft. Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone)
                                      Babydoll
                                      Close My Eyes
                                      Whenever You Call
                                      Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
                                      The Beautiful Ones (ft. Dru Hill)
                                      Outside
                                      Butterfly Classic Bossa Nova
                                      Honey (Classic Club Mix)
                                      Honey (ft. Da Brat & Jermaine Dupri) [So So Def Mix]
                                      Honey (ft. Mase & THE LOX) [Bad Boy Remix]
                                      My All (Morales "My" Club Mix)
                                      My All / Stay Awhile (ft. Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz) [So So Def Remix]
                                      My All (Divas Live)
                                      The Roof (Back In Time Full Crew Remix) (feat. Mobb Deep)
                                      The Roof (Back in Time) [Morales Funky Club Mix]

Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Butterfly album.

Comment

with 314M views, it's imo by far her BEST visual era. Butterfly should have been a Visual album.

And a very impopular opinion: for me Stay Awhile is great and many times I prefer it over My All (and I LOVE My All)

I was a 17yo guy and she delivered all these visuals....

Comment

I’ll rate as soon as I’m back on my laptop as the PM function on iPad is absolutely dire.

Comment

By 1997 I was a big fan, not hiding it. I was in my last high school year and one friend was also a fan just because I liked her and he was opne to listen to her and enjoyed the music. I started dating a girl and I was making a line to enter a cinema with her, standing in the street right in the door of a TV shop, and there I saw it for the very first time... Honey video was on a TV... I was paralyzed, MAriah was HOT AS FIRE and dancing a little bit, but I just could not listen to the song, it was just the images! I must say i forgot I was there with my girfriend, and needless to say that relationship didn't stnad for long lol.

Well, I don't remember which movie we saw or anything, but I remember just how obsessed I was about the video and I needed to see it. I watched MTV nonstop until the song appeared. I was blown away. The song was sooooo different from her previous work. I loved it since the start, and the video was great. I think my tv never left MTV and my life revolved around catching the song there. Radio would not play Honey and there was no internet, so it was just a question of patiently waiting for the video.

I also remember that I had no info about the release date, so I would just go periodically to my record store and ask abut it. The guy there was very cool and started to investigate about it, maybe cause he wanted to sell me the record or just becuase he could not stand me going EVERY day asking. And then one day, I was with my brother, and asked him to enter and ask. I think I had been every single prior day so, although I had 0 hopes, needed to check. And he came out, told me he didn't have it, but as he walked with me suddenly took out the album and gave it to me. I was speechless... I had to go to school so couldn't listen to it straight away, so again I just had to WAIT... I took the album with me, told my frined I got it and durign the whole afternoon we would just read the lyrics, see pictures and just imagine things up.

In the break, he turned on the radio in his walkman and told me they were previewing songs in the local pop radio station, so we just listened to the show, where I just remember listening to My All. When I got home I played the album and I can surely say taht the cd did not leave my cd player for at least 6 months. I fell in love deeplywith the album, and all videos coming out were just amazing. Breakdown was an instant fav, the song ADN the video. The RS cover was sublime, the MTV Video Awards dress, My All... god it was the best time to be a lamb.

I started to read and learn more and more about Mariah, that's why I feel that's the time I evolved from a fan to a lamb. I think one night, or early mornign, I suddenly run across Stay Awhile video and gosh that was PERFECT. Then I saw The Roof video, which I hadn't watched before. The Divas Live...

This is by far my fav mariah era.

Comment

Butterfly - the album
                                              I was very excited of course for this album and bought it on the day it was released. It was so hard to choose between the open eyes cover and the closed eyes one. I chose the closed eyes one although I prefered the other picture, but well, both pictures were on both cd's and I figured the closed eyes would be more special as it was said to be a limited edition only.
                                              Then one day we went to Germany and saw a store where they sold the album with a free butterfly sticker. I really wanted, but I thought it would be ridiculous to buy the album again just to have the sticker. My husband saw how torn I was and moved the sticker into an album he bought, so I got the sticker anyway.
                                              I had mixed feelings when I first heard the album. Up till that point Mariah never had rappers on her album and now there were several and so for the first time I prefered "remixed" versions instead of the album versions like Honey - Smooth Version and Breakdown - Radio Edit. It took me years to really appreciate Breakdown and I've never really learned to love Babydoll.
                                              And while Daydream was an album that gave me great memories with my husband, Butterfly was an album he didn't like much (except for My All). And I had a friend who also bought every album/VHS/single by Mariah wasn't interested anymore. So I just to play the album a lot while being alone in my car driving to and from work.

Honey: I began to see a patern for the leadsingle - midtempo R&B fun song: Dreamlover, Fantasy, Honey. I was happy I found the promo single with the smooth version, which became my go-to version when playing Honey. I loved the video! I was really surprised as I never thought of Mariah as a video-artist. I recorded many videos and played the videos of Madonna, Janet, Whitney and Paula Abdul all the time. I did record the videos of Mariah as well, but didn't play them much as I thought they were a bit boring. Honey was her first video that made me think she could be a video star after all.

Butterfly: A favorite from the start. Such beautiful lyrics. And although it's about her and Tommy, I've shared it with friends who lost a child as the lyrics seemed so fitting. There is so much meaning in this song, it will always be a song I love.

My All: When I just bought the album, this was my favorite song and I hoped really hard it would become a single. I was so happy when it not only became a single, but she also gave it some of her best remixes (My All/Stay Awhile) and live versions (Divas Live). It was also one of the few songs by husband loves (together with Whenever You Call), so it was easily my most played song and I'm afraid I overplayed it a bit. I still love this song today, but it's not my go-to song when I want to listen to Mariah or something from this era.

The Roof: Another favorite of mine. I LOVED Long Ago from Daydream, but I loved this even more. Same vibe, but there's something about The Roof that makes me love this song sooo much: the lyrics, the way she sings it, the beat. A real gem.
                                              I was really happy this got released, but unfortunately radio didn't play it. Honey was a Top 10 hit, but Butterfly failed to reach the Top 40 and DJ's just didn't bother with The Roof. Then Mariah came to the Netherlands to promote the album and she did some interviews. One was on live on tv and they played the Honey video and I felt this was such a missed opportunity for The Roof. I guess Mariah didn't even know The Roof was her latest single here. (Luckily My All did reach the Top 40.)

Fourth of July: This is very much in the vein of Underneath The Stars which I love a lot. So it was not that difficult for Fourth of July to make me fall in love with it. So many layers and such a beautiful lyric. I played it a lot and still love it very much. My husband used to make fun of the way she sang it: "What is she singing? How can you understand mumbling? Why is she singing For The Children?"

Comment

Sent mine, I culled 3/4 of the songs to just rate the ones I know.

Comment

Album Title: Rainbow
                                                  Release Date: November 2nd 1999 by Columbia Records

General Info: With only one album left to fulfill her contract with Sony, and with a burning desire to separate herself professionally from the record label her ex-husband still headed, Mariah completed her 1999 album in just three months. Titled Rainbow, the album found her exploring with producers which she had not worked with before. Rainbow became Mariah's first album to not feature a collaboration with her longtime writing partner, Walter Afanasieff, instead choosing to work with David Foster and Diane Warren. Rainbow contains a mix of hip hop-influenced R&B jams, as well as a variety of slow ballads. As a result of her separation from her husband, Tommy Mottola, Carey had more control over the musical style of this album, so she collaborated with several artists such as Jay-Z, Usher, and Snoop Dogg, as well as Missy Elliott, Joe, Da Brat, Master P, 98°, and Mystikal.
                                                  Rainbow became the center of conflict between Mariah and her label. After her divorce from Sony record official and Columbia CEO Tommy Mottola, Carey's working relationship with the label deteriorated. She intended for "Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)" to be the third single from Rainbow, as it held very personal lyrical content. However, Sony made it clear that they intended the third single should be a more upbeat and urban track. The difference in opinion led to a very public feud, as Mariah began posting messages on her webpage in early and mid-2000, telling fans inside information on the dispute, as well as instructing them to request "Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)" on radio stations. One of the messages she left on her page read: "Basically, a lot of you know the political situation in my professional career is not positive. It's been really, really hard. I don't even know if this message is going to get to you because I don't know if they want you to hear this. I'm getting a lot of negative feedback from certain corporate people. But I am not willing to give up." Mariah's actions were given mixed reception, with critics and executives commending her bold actions regarding a song she felt needed to be heard, while others criticized her for publicizing the dispute further. Soon after, Sony stripped Carey's webpage of messages and began negotiations. Fearing to lose their label's highest seller and the best-selling artist of the decade, Sony chose to release the song. Mariah, initially content with the agreement, soon found out that the song had only been given a very limited and low-promotion release.

Reviews: Critical reception of Rainbow was generally positive, with the general consensus finding: "what began on Butterfly as a departure ends up on Rainbow a progression – perhaps the first compelling proof of Carey's true colors as an artist."

Commercial performance: Rainbow was released to the highest first week sales of her career at the time, however debuting at number two on the Billboard 200. Though a commercial success, Rainbow became Carey's lowest selling album at that point in her career.

Singles: Five singles were released from the album, two of which became number-one hits on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, making Rainbow her seventh-consecutive studio album to produce a number-one song.

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
                                                  Heartbreaker (feat. Jay-Z) 1 5 10 1 4 9
                                                  Thank God I Found You (feat. Joe & 98°) 1 10 27 2 28 28
                                                  Crybaby (feat. Snoop Dogg) 28 - - 4 - -
                                                  Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme) - - - - - -
                                                  Against All Odds (with Westlife) - 1 52 - 18 29

Accolades: -

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 4th 2021

Heartbreaker Official Video feat. Jay-Z with Cartoon - 41.247.722 views
                                                  Heartbreaker Official Video feat. Jay-Z - 1.072.772 views
                                                  Heartbreaker Remix Official Video feat. Da Brat & Missy Elliott - 6.171.761 views
                                                  Thank God I Found You Official Video feat. Joe & 98° - 20.508.084 views
                                                  Thank God I Found You (Make It Last Remix) Official Video feat. Joe & Nas - 3.321.903 views
                                                  Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme) Official Video - 5.837.364 views
                                                  Crybaby Official Video feat. Snoop Dogg - 1.279.518 views
                                                  Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) Official Video with Westlife - 19.547.135 views
                                                  Against All Odds Live - 481.746 views

Heartbreaker (ft. Jay-Z)
                                                  Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)
                                                  Bliss
                                                  How Much (ft. Usher)
                                                  After Tonight
                                                  X-Girlfriend
                                                  Heartbreaker (Remix) [ft. Da Brat & Missy Elliott]
                                                  Vulnerability (Interlude)
                                                  Against All Odds (Take a Look At Me Now)
                                                  Crybaby (ft. Snoop Dogg)
                                                  Did I Do That? (ft. Mystikal & Master P)
                                                  Petals
                                                  Rainbow (Interlude)
                                                  Thank God I Found You (ft. Joe & 98 Degrees)
                                                  Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme) [Morales Revival Triumphant Mix]
                                                  Heartbreaker / If You Should Ever Be Lonely (Junior's Heartbreaker Club Mix)
                                                  Thank God I Found You (ft. Joe & Nas) [Make It Last Remix]
                                                  Love Hangover / Heartbreaker Live
                                                  Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Rainbow album.

Comment

• Almost 100M views for these videos.

This song is part of my gift for my wife when I proposed and we decided to embark in this great adventure togetehr. 1 kid after I can say we've had a great ride so far.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X