Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nemospence
    replied
    Just saw this thead. I was thinking doing Mariah's Top 50. But I guess I have to scrap it. This is more comprehensive.

My Favorite Top 10 (Refreshed)

–Hero
    –Always Be My Baby
    –Love Takes Time
    –Butterfly
    –Close My Eyes
    –When You Believe
    –I Still Believe
    –Never Too Far
    –Anytime You Need a Friend
    –Without You

Honorable mentions

–All My Life
    –My All
    –The Distance
    –I Stay in Love
    –There's Got to Be a Way

(I prefer JLo's Do You Know Where You're Going To. It's heartfelt and the musical arrangement is spot on.)

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Do you think Kween had the potential to have another smasha in your hole again with Migrate? I’ve never been real sure about its potential international performance since it’s so unabashedly urban, but maybe it could have pulled off a Family Affair which smashed in your hole right?
    Nope, sadly Mariah was done here after My All. Turkey doesn't stan for vocal divas much, except for Whitney in her prime.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Do you think Kween had the potential to have another smasha in your hole again with Migrate? I’ve never been real sure about its potential international performance since it’s so unabashedly urban, but maybe it could have pulled off a Family Affair which smashed in your hole right?
    I have a feeling she's coming with a summer bop this year.

Caution was filled with bops. A No No and SLAY Long Love You were probably the most hard hitting bops on the album.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    Migrate is a bop. Those who gave it low score should be

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    As for Migrate, it’s probably the most iconik non-single from any artist of our generation. It would have undoubtedly smashed the ish out of the Hot 100 and chocolate singles charts and kept her comeback streak going for the next few years at least. This is from another forum but it completely sums up the sad truth:

I'm gonna say it, and I'm sure it's been said a million times... not releasing this as the second single is one of the STUPIDEST decisions I have ever seen a record label make. This would have went to #1, easily. And their boneheaded choice for second single f**ked this entire era up and it never recovered.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    The intent behind Mine Again is great but it’s basically the GOAT climax gone wrong for 4 whole minutes.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    IDWC is one of my favorite #1's. I love that song so much. Great dramatic lyrics, beautiful lower tones and the latin feel gives makes it the original My All.

Mine Again is one of her best album tracks. No wonder it was nominated for a Grammy and reached the chart without even being a single. Her voice is top notch here and the music is so old school soul, I LOVE it.

Migrate should have been a single. Such a fun song, even now after all those years.

Oh Santa! is so festive, I love it. However, I now love the version with Ariana and J-Hud even more.

Leave a comment:

• mattsky
    replied
    Candy Bling is a little bop IMO

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    BUBBLING UNDER Part XV: 170 to 161

A whole mix of post-90s track fall in this batch, but a surprising 90s record falls low.

#Beautiful (ft. Miguel & Jeezy) [Remix]
    Avg: 7.06

Highest Rate: 10 (Marcum)
    Lowest Rate: 4 (skylynx)

Anytime You Need A Friend (Soul Convention Remix)

Highest Rate: 10 (RayRay, Leo, InfroFromAus, Marchum)
    Lowest Rate: 2 (mattsky)

Candy Bling
    Avg: 7.10

Highest Rate: 10 (DNK)
    Lowest Rate: 3 (Wayne)

Up Out My Face
    Avg: 7.10

Highest Rate: 9 (RayRay, whoawhoa, Marchum)
    Lowest Rate: 4 (monarcbutterfly, sjm)

Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
    Avg: 7.11

Highest Rate: 10 (DNK)
    Lowest Rate: 5 (Rawiri James)

Got To Be Real (Live) [with Patti Labelle]

Highest Rate: 10 (Marchum)
    Lowest Rate: 5 (RayRay, Rawiri James, Wayne)

One Night

Highest Rate: 10 DNK, Wayne)
    Lowest Rate: 4 (Rawiri James)

Can You Hear Me

Highest Rate: 10 (RayRay, DNK)
    Lowest Rate: 4 (Leo)

All I've Ever Wanted
    Avg: 7.13

Highest Rate: 10 (Leo, Wayne)
    Lowest Rate: 3 (sjm)

Emotions 12" Club Mix

Avg: 7.13

Highest Rate: 10 (RayRay, TomerMC, DNK, Marchum)
    Lowest Rate: 2 (mattsky)

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    I Don't Wanna Cry has always been my least favourite singles from her. But I agree that the Tokyo Dome version gives a different edge to it and I enjoy that version. Still, not Top100 material imo.

Scream Again is a very good song that derailed. I skip it most of the times even when I enjoy the melody.

Oh santa is cool, I prefer the Ari+JHud version though.

Migrate is amazing, I just cannot get why matthew, who voted just for some of the songs, stopped and gave it a 0!!!! I think it's probabñy one of her hottest songs.

Leave a comment:

• monarcbutterfly
    replied
    I don’t wanna cry is fab but the Tokyo version is the best IMO. It’s the one that’s on my playlist, I just love everything about that performance.

And I also say, “I don’t know, I’m American man” often when I don’t know something

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Migrate is a bop. Those who gave it low score should be

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Some great tracks here that all deserve high rates.

IDWC is one of her most underrated #1s. I am so happy when she sang it in Vegas, even if she hated it!

Mine Again is a standout track on TEOM! The vocals on this track are out of this world!

Migrate is such a fun bop! It really deserved the single treatment.

Oh Santa! original is not inspired. It feels reductive. But it is okay...definitely should be lower though.

Leave a comment:

• mattsky
    replied
    Some awesome tracks <3

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

So we already have 30 songs from the 101-200 list, and 40 songs of the Top100 so it's time to update status! Emotions, Christmas I and Glitter remain with no Top100 representative! And the soudntrack album only has 4 remaining songs...

Total 201-332 101-200 1-100 Remaining
    MARIAH CAREY 12 3 1 2 6
    EMOTIONS 14 4 2 8
    MUSIC BOX 16 5 2 1 8
    MERRY CHRISTMAS 15 5 2 8
    DAYDREAM 19 3 2 14
    BUTTERFLY 21 4 2 4 11
    RAINBOW 19 7 2 2 8
    GLITTER 14 5 5 4
    CHARMBRACELET 20 13 1 1 5
    THE EMANCIPATION OF MIMI 29 14 1 5 9
    E=MC2 18 7 2 5 4
    MEMOIRS OF AN IMPERFECT ANGEL 19 9 1 2 7
    MERRY CHRISTMAS II YOU 13 6 1 2 4
    ME. I AM MARIAH THE ELUSIVE CHANTEUSE 19 8 2 9
    CAUTION 11 2 1 4 4
    THE RARITIES 16 2 2 2 10
    OTHER 57 35 5 6 11

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Someone predicted I Don't Wanna Cry to be her #1 failing to reach the Top100, but it isn't!!! In fact, it's lowest score was a 6!!! Migrate was robbed here, as an Ultimate 0 killed its chances! It would have been almost Top30 without that mean vote. An original song of a previously announced Top100 makes it this high!

I Don't Wanna Cry
    Avg:8.10

Highest Score: 10 (RayRay, whoawhoa, DNK, Marchum, Wayne)
    Lowest Score: 6 (Leo, Rawiri, mattsky)

Mine Again
    Avg:8.10

Highest Score: 10 (RayRay, sjm, freeme, DNK, Marchum, mattsky)
    Lowest Score: 4 (whoawhoa, spiritboy)

Migrate (feat. T-Pain)
    Avg:8.14

Highest Score: 10 (RayRay, Goldmoney, Leo, TomerMC, spiritboy, DNK, Marchum, mattsky)
    Lowest Score: 4 (Wayne)
    Ultimate 0s: matthew_dixon

Oh! Santa
    Avg: 8.16

Highest Score: 10 (Goldmoney, JSparksFan)
    Lowest Score: 7 (bm08, skylynx, InfoFromAus, freeme, Thriller, sYair, Wayne)

Leave a comment:

• Tomer_MC
    replied
    Oh Santa! Remix is pretty high. I guess it has to do with it's momentum. I enjoy it a lot!

So Blessed seems so out of place with the other songs lol. I think it's a beautiful ballad. the rest are cute and ok songs.

Leave a comment:

• mattsky
    replied
    Bye Bye is not that bad! I also really like Ribbon and Save the Day. Last Night a DJ is one of my favorite Glitter tracks.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    I think the sample could’ve been used much better in Save The Day. I must admit the chorus is quite catchy and it has a way of getting stuck in your head.

It definitely wasnt as I imagined it would sound when she teased it years ago.

Leave a comment:

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Glad to see there were others that gave "Do You Know Where You're Going To (Theme from Mahogany)" a perfect score. It's a sterling cover.

"Bye Bye" is okay, but "Save the Day" definitely deserved more love.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Speaking of eras, that single/video also birthed the Nick Cannon relationship. I’m sure Kween doesn’t regret it because dem kids came out of it, but lawdt do I hate him.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    Bye Bye would have been a highly cherished fan favourite if it was never released as a single, not even mention a SECOND single of her highest profile album ever. The song is very cute and touching. Maybe as a fifth single it would have been better received. It just killed a hot era...

Migrate, I'll Be loving You Long Time were screaming second single, and would have been perfect for the time...

I like the song, but just as I like a little more IKWYW because of what it meant to Mariah's career, I also like Bye Bye a little less because of its impact.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Bye Bye gets a bad rap. I think it is a much more Urban influenced, contemporary play on One Sweet Day.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    More like Bye Bye Career. How ironic is it that the same person (LA Reid) who was responsible for GOAT even existing completely killed one of the greatest comebacks of the AD era by releasing what they were counting on to be the second coming of GOAT.

As for the song itself, it’s cute and all but the lyrics sounded like they came out of a ratchet 15 year old’s poetry project. Which would be fine if she were solely targeting that audience but if you’re writing what’s supposed to be a serious and universal song about the departed, you really can’t do that. The label were really expecting for Karens to all of a sudden sing, “This is for my peoples who lost they grandfathers.” and “just lift your hand to da sky.”

And that blatant, utterly shameless copy of the GOAT climax at the end - I always kii everytime it comes on. Fitting since Bye Bye’s entire release was completely molded by GOAT’s success and nothing else. Down to the tear at the end and everything.
    Last edited by Goldmoney; Sun May 2, 2021, 20:54.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    BUBBLING UNDER Part XIII: 180 to 171

An Ultimate 0s killing any hope for one of Mariah's more fate defining singles, a background vocal enough to push the song to a Top200, her latest non-christmas single, her real first Busta Rhymes collab, and an unnecesary medley all leave next.

Bye Bye
    Avg: 6.95

Highest Rate: 10 (RayRay, DNK)
    Lowest Rate: 5 (monarcbutterfly)
    Ultimate 0s: Thriller

Ribbon
    Avg: 7.00

Highest Rate: 9 (InfoFromAus, DNK)
    Lowest Rate: 3 (Wayne)

Every Time I Close My Eyes (with Babyface)
    Avg: 7.00

Highest Rate: 10 (skylynx)
    Lowest Rate: 2 (Wayne)

Save the Day (with Ms. Lauryn Hill)
    Avg: 7.05

Highest Rate: 9 (RayRay, JSparksFan, DNK)
    Lowest Rate: 4 (monarcbutterfly, Wayne)

Last Night a DJ Saved My Life (ft. Busta Rhymes, Fabolous & DJ Clue)

Highest Rate: 10 (DNK, mattsky)
    Lowest Rate: 5 (whoawhoa, skylynx, matthew_dixon)

So Blessed

Highest Rate: 10 (DNK, Wayne)
    Lowest Rate: 3 (JSparksFan)

Do You Know Where You're Going To (Theme from "Mahogany")

Highest Rate: 10 (RayRay, JSparksFan, freeme, Marchum, sYair)
    Lowest Rate: 2 (sjm)

Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)

Highest Rate: 10 (TomerMC, DNK)
    Lowest Rate: 1 (RayRay)

Lullaby of Birdland (Live)

Highest Rate: 10 (RayRay, DNK, Marchum)
    Lowest Rate: 3 (skylynx)

Never Too Far/Hero Medley

Highest Rate: 10 (Marchum)