The Mariah Carey Discography Rate - Album Averages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Obsessed thread is CRAZY

I had no idea how popular it was on this forum until I visited it. What a moment!!
    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• TMB’s premiere was my first big stan moment. I had to convince my older cousin to call me out from school so that I could catch the world premiere of TMB on Hot 97 on my raggedy ass pocket radio . Fun times.
      Property of cheapthrill

Comment

• DP
        Property of cheapthrill

Comment

• Delighted to see OHOMO so high. The best her voice has ever sounded tonally and I will not be told otherwise.
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Obsessed and Touch My Body were good follow-up to We Belong Together. She kept good music going in those years. And she's probably the first and only one who mentioned YouTube in her lyrics, lol. So far so goood.

Mariah decided to overkill Out Here On My Own. Too many unnecessary melismas, and vocal runs. She should have stayed true to the beautiful melody of the song, the way she did with I Still Believe. The song fit Mariah's voice perfectly. But owning the song?

Comment

• I love Touch My Body, don't like Obsessed at all, such a dull song and did nothing to help the album anywhere. I would have much preferred if she had finished Imperfect, which is basically the same song with a far greater and more important message. I kinda felt that whole Eminem thing she did was beneath her, although I know some fans love it. The song never did anything for me.

Comment

• Yeah, she had no business making the best diss song of all time. What she should have done instead was just sit back and take those nauseating tirades against her and her family. That’s practical.
                Property of cheapthrill

Comment

• Touch My Body that high? It's sooo painfully average.

Obsessed on the other hand is an anthem. It still annoys me how they messed up its single release and prevented it from being a UK smash.

Comment

• I was a little disappointed with CBPCH's placement, but then - it's a Christmas song, and a cover. It's actually done pretty well.

We're getting into the business end of the countdown and it's exciting (and moving slowly )
                    MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• I think it was my bad as I just sent yesterday to bm08 the 30-21 images! I'll try to finish them this week so he can adjust his own pace, but I relaly like the flow this thread got, bm08 did a great job and all the info he is capturing is very time consuming!

Without You seems low, I believe its one of her signature songs. Maybe there are other covers of hers better, but to be honest this one is THE cover. I still get a lot of people thinking this is actually her song and not a cover, that's how powerful her version is.

I Still Believe is great, I am surprise it's this high though.

Slipping Away breaking into the top40 was a surprise for me. I think it benefits from Rarities being still fresh in our minds. A great song.

Obsessed is great, it was a good move, a catchy song, nice video... but I don't generally go back to it.

TMB is the best possible single to kick off such a high profile era as Einstein. The video is superb, the song is fun and sensual. I was addicted to it when it was released and built up a lot of hype around the album.

OHOMO is a very solid track but a little overestimated. I was happy when it was released, but a couple of weeks later I was kind of over it. I like it, it's a great vocal rendition.
                      CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                      FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        I think it was my bad as I just sent yesterday to bm08 the 30-21 images! I'll try to finish them this week so he can adjust his own pace, but I relaly like the flow this thread got, bm08 did a great job and all the info he is capturing is very time consuming!

I'm just so curious so see the top 10!
                        Although I think I can guess most of them... maybe.

But this rate at least keeps the anticipation building.
                        MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                          Delighted to see OHOMO so high. The best her voice has ever sounded tonally and I will not be told otherwise.
                          Coming out of the Glitter era, really not surprised the vocals on it were outstanding.

The song is a bit bland to me at times though. I love when it comes on shuffle though

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

Coming out of the Glitter era, really not surprised the vocals on it were outstanding.

The song is a bit bland to me at times though. I love when it comes on shuffle though
                            I love it so much. I had wanted a simple straight forward vocal line like that for so long where she just sings. It's one of my favorites tracks from her ever.

Comment

Can't Let Go
                              Rated: 8.67

Ultimate 11: Leo, DNK, RedSimba
                              High Scores (10): RayRay, Goldmoney, skylynx, TomerMC, Marchum, Wayne
                              Low Scores (5): matthew_dixon, mattsky

UKMIX Fan Comments:

Originally posted by itsawrap View Post
                              Cant let go >anything on music box

Only thing incredible about music box is the live vocals.
                              Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Can't Let Go has one of the most beautiful intro's of her carreer. Love the drama and the passion.

Originally posted by Strat View Post
                              Can't Let Go is one of my fav MC songs pre Butterfly.

Comment

Whenever You Call
                                Rated: 8.70

High Scores (10): Leo, freeme, TomerMC, spiritboy, DNK, Marchum, mattsky
                                Low Scores (6): Rawiri James

UKMIX Fan Comments:

Originally posted by elvenOCEAN View Post
                                Oh my Goddd!! I can't believe my favorite Mariah song, ''Whenever You Call'' was never actually finished. It could have been the best song ever (along with ''My Heart Will Go On'') if Walter had managed to put strings and whole orchestra in it. :( :( :( :( :(
                                Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                It makes so much sense that Whenever You Call was unfinished. It sounds it.
                                Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                                “Whenever You Call” isn’t my first or second favorite ballad on Butterfly but I firmly believe it could have been a No 1 single if released from that album!

Comment

Love Takes Time
                                  Rated: 8.81

High Scores (10): Goldmoney, bm08, skylynx, InfoFromAus, freeme, TomerMC, spiritboy, DNK, Wayne
                                  Low Scores (6): Rawiri James, sYair, mattsky

UKMIX Fan Comments:

Originally posted by HazelEyes View Post

Favorite tracks are Vanishing, Vision of Love, Love Takes Time, and Prisoner.
                                  Originally posted by jio View Post
                                  Love Takes Time & Someday are two of the most memorable (and in my opinion best) Mariah songs ever, they are definitely among the highlights of 1990 and 1991.

Comment

Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme)
                                    Rated: 8.81

Ultimate 11: sYair, matthew_dixon
                                    High Scores (10): RayRay, whoawhoa, JSparksFan, freeme, TomerMC, DNK, Marchum
                                    Low Scores (6): Rawiri James

UKMIX Fan Comments:

Originally posted by Pawlu84 View Post
                                    The best songs on Rainbow are: HB/CTTA/Crybaby and Petals I have a soft spot for X- Girlfriend too even though it sounds exactly like P!nk's There you go.
                                    Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                                    Well it's definately not her best. There are some great songs like "Heartbreaker", "Crybaby", "Can't Take That Away", "Petals" and "Thank God I Found You".
                                    Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post
                                    I wish she released CTTA as the second single. That song screams number 1 hit!

Comment

• Crack open the top 30

30: Can't Let Go
                                      29: Whenever You Call
                                      28: Love Takes Time
                                      27: Cant Take That Away

Comment

• Love Takes Time is so cute.

Comment

• Love Takes Time belongs in my Top 5. The way she sang the lyrics "Lord I'm needing you now. Tell me how to stop the rain" always touches my feelings. A beautiful song.

Comment

• Whenever You Call is beautiful! The other songs are cute!
                                            Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• I've been the lowest rater on most of the last 20 or so entries haha.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of her more mainstream pop stuff.
                                              Addict. Advocate. Author. Artist.
                                              My journey of R&B, addiction and superheroes....
                                              www.rawirijames.com
                                              #LostBoy album and novel OUT NOW!

Comment

• Again...
                                                Property of cheapthrill

Comment

• Originally posted by Rawiri James View Post
                                                  I've been the lowest rater on most of the last 20 or so entries haha.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of her more mainstream pop stuff.
                                                  Hahaha I noticed! Quite an interesting turn!

Comment

Close My Eyes
                                                    Rated: 8.93

Ultimate 11: mattsky
                                                    High Scores (10): Leo, InfoFromAus, freeme, TomerMC, monarcbutterfly, DNK, RedSimba, Marchum, Wayne
                                                    Low Scores (6): Rawiri James, spiritboy

UKMIX Fan Comments:
                                                    Originally posted by Preyoncé View Post
                                                    Ive come to the conclusion recently that my all time fave personal song of hers is Close My Eyes
                                                    Originally posted by ludichris View Post

I agree it's a very deep and autobiographical song. I feel this song can be interpreted many ways, I read an analysis that said the last verse/bridge is about a failed suicide attempt. :-? :( Her best songwriting is on this album.
                                                    Originally posted by sambo9 View Post

Close My Eyes - Now, this is one of the most beautiful ballads ever, IMO. The piano accompaniment in this is just indescribable. Mariah's soft and emotional vocals lift the song to another level. As I have probably said before, "Butterfly" is the one of the greatest album to just sit down, and relax to. It's the ultimate chill-out collection, and this song is the highlight. Mariah holds back in this personal, reflective and emotional ballad and sings such wonderful lyrics. This is a real hidden gem, and I know this is one of Mariahs favourites too. She performed it wonderfully on the Rosie ODonnell show in 1998.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X