Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bm08
    replied
    I still think lambs and Mariah don't appreciate One Child as much as it should be appreciated. The song is immaculate and one of her best written Christmas songs. I was so happy when she sang it on her last Christmas tour, it deserves way more love from her.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post

Losing Here Comes Santa Claus this early is a crime though. It is so much fun - but I get it's not everyone's taste, or perhaps not memorable or impressive enough.
    I love that song, but this version pales in comparison with the first version she recorded.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    ^Yeah, an average of over 7 and so low in the top 100 just goes to show how competitive and highly rated the rest of the songs are.

Leave a comment:

• InfoFromAus
    replied
    I was almost offended I Still Believe / Pure Imagination ranked so low, then I realised it averaged close to 8, which is pretty good. I'm sure the top songs are going to have quite high scores.

Actually, I'm still offended! This has always seemed a fan favourite and I've very surprised it's only at #92.

Thanx 4 Nothin' is one of my faves from E=MC2, but I just couldn't rate it a 10 compared to my other faves, which are hopefully in the top 100.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    The GOAT foreshadowing on ISB.

Leave a comment:

• whoawhoa
    replied
    Wow I feel like the Grinch giving such a low score to One Child! I had no idea it was so loved by the fans.

Thanx 4 Nothin’ is one of the better E=MC2 ballads. I loved when she randomly decided to perform it in the last few years.

I Still Believe/Pure Imagination Remix is a MASTERPIECE! I cannot believe she made that by combining an 80’s one hit wonder MOR ballad, a song from Willy Wonka, adding a hip hop lite beat and rappers!! It sounds catastrophic on paper but just works and is soo lush and smooth. Both this and I Still Believe are 10’s for me, even though they are so dissimilar.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    New rates are up!

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied

We continue in the top 100, with songs from 94 - 92!

One Child
    Avg:7.72

Highest Score: 10 (RayRay, DNK, Marchum, sYair)
    Lowest Score:: 3 (whoawhoa)

Thanx 4' Nothin'
    Avg:7.73

Highest Score: 10 (monarcbutterfly, DNK, Thriller)
    Lowest Score:: 5 (skylynx)

I Still Believe / Pure Imagination (ft. Krayzie Bone & Da Brat) [Damizza Remix]
    Avg:7.74

Highest Score: 10 (whoawhoa, DNK, InfoFromAus, DNK, Thriller)
    Lowest Score:: 2 (Wayne)

Leave a comment:

• whoawhoa
    replied
    I've already fallen behind with this!

100. Music Box: it is nice and lovely but a little boring. I never play it aside from when I occasionally play the album.
    99. One Mo Gen: my least favourite on Caution but still a great song. Sexy
    98. The Art of Letting Go: I LOOOOOOVED this when it was released and it quickly became one of my top 5. I still love it but not quite as much. It's erratic and the pacing is all over the place, but I actually love that. The verses are so stream of consciousness and the vocals are fire!
    97. Forever: A favourite when I first discovered Mariah's back catalogue; I now find it quite vanilla but still enjoyable.
    96. Honey (Classic Club Mix): Not one of my favourites of her dance remixes from the 90's but I appreciate it. Surprised to see it in the top 100, though!
    95. Languishing: I don't consider this an interlude as it is as long as most songs in the top 40 these days!! It's absolutely stunning!

Regarding the latest eliminations, there is nothing there that is offensively low to me. X-Girlfriend and Infinity are fun but unremarkable and messy. Don't Stop is brilliant in places but Mystikal is too much (not as bad as in Did I Do That? though). I really like Sunflowers and gave it an 8, but I understand why others may rate it lower.

The re-sung remixes are both decent but not among her best. I love how you can understand the lyrics in The One remix better but it is almost too slow. Loverboy dance mix is a campy mess in the true spirit of the original.

I was surprised about Here Comes Santa Claus until I realised this is the Apple TV special version.
    Last edited by whoawhoa; Sun April 4, 2021, 13:55.

Leave a comment:

• InfoFromAus
    replied
    Originally posted by bm08 View Post

X-Girlfriend
    Avg: 5.71

How Much (ft. Usher)
    I really don't like these songs, and to see what I feel are two of the worst offenders from Rainbow fall back to back is kinda funny, with respect to those who rated them highly.

That's 3 album tracks so far from Rainbow from memory - I wonder which album will lose all their tracks first.

Losing Here Comes Santa Claus this early is a crime though. It is so much fun - but I get it's not everyone's taste, or perhaps not memorable or impressive enough.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Wayne and RayRay were brutal
    Wayne was brutal. Giving How Much and X-Girlfriend just one point...

I only gave one point to songs that deserved it.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Sprung - I've never heard it before but i like it. It should've been on a regular edition.

Irresistible (West Side Connection) - It's okay though why did i give this a 2? A nice album track is all i can say about this song.

Secret Love - I also didn't heard Secret Love before and i like it a lot.

Supernatural - A cute album track.

In The Mix - Never liked this song.

Forever - A great ballad. I gave this a solid 7, Daydream is one of my favorite Mariah albums so i love most of the songs there.

X-Girlfriend - I like it, her lyrics are great and on point and the melody is infectious. Gave this a 7.

How Much - I love how their voices suit together and i love the usage of sample here. Another 7.

Sunflowers For Alfred Roy - Gave this a 7. Wouldn't have given a rating this high before but the song is more meaningful after my dad's passing.

Leave a comment:

• InfoFromAus
    replied

Good idea!

For the Honey (Classic Club Mix) which got an 11, it was rated 10 by: JSparksFan, DNK, RedSimba, and Marchum
    Cool - I feel less like an outlier now.

Although with that many 10s, I'm surprised it didn't rate higher.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Leo and bm08

For songs which received 11, would you consider also showing how many 10s they received and from whom, since the 11 is kind of a special vote?
    Good idea!

For the Honey (Classic Club Mix) which got an 11, it was rated 10 by: JSparksFan, DNK, RedSimba, and Marchum

Leave a comment:

• InfoFromAus
    replied
    Leo and bm08

For songs which received 11, would you consider also showing how many 10s they received and from whom, since the 11 is kind of a special vote?

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Sunflowers really took on a new meaning for me after the memoir. I wish she dedicated a better song though.

Goin Up Yonder perhaps is a fitting tribute.

Leave a comment:

• InfoFromAus
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomer_MC View Post

You're good at explaining lol - Def makes sense!!!
    I felt I struggled to express what I liked about the song - there are complexities haha, but thanks.

I just think that Mariah truly shines on some of her remixes - where she can do things she otherwise cannot - she can let loose, and it's impressive.

Edited to say "some of her remixes" - cause the latest batch of votes reminded me she has some truly shocking ones that I did not enjoy
    Last edited by InfoFromAus; Sat April 3, 2021, 14:40.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    The remixes were irritating me at various points.

I won’t have any grief for voting X-Girlfriend a 1 - that is a terrible song! And that Usher collab could’ve been a game changer - and instead, we got How Much?

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Wayne and RayRay were brutal

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    BUBBLING UNDER Part III: 290 to 281

While remixes being eliminated have become commonplace in the Bubbling Under entries so far, Part III finds a few album tracks eliminated in what could be considered bombshells. Plus, some info about the raters:

Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane) / House Top Celebration (featuring Snoop Dogg & Jermaine Dupri)
    Highest Rate: 9 (DNK, Marchum)
    Lowest Rate: 1 (RayRay)

Sugarplum Fairy Introlude
    Highest Rate: 10 (DNK)
    Lowest Rate: 2 (Rawiri James, Marchum, Wayne)

X-Girlfriend
    Highest Rate: 8 (JSparksFan)
    Lowest Rate: 1 (Wayne)

How Much (ft. Usher)
    Highest Rate: 9 (RayRay, Marchum)

Sunflowers for Alfred Roy
    Highest Rate: 10 (DNK)
    Lowest Rate: 1 (RayRay )

Loverboy (Club of Love Remix)
    Avg: 5.72
    Highest Rate: 9 (Marchum, DNK, sYair)

The One (ft. Bone Crusher) [So So Def Remix]
    Avg: 5.76
    Highest Rate: 10 (Marchum)

Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica) ft. Mystikal
    Avg: 5.81
    Highest Rate: 9 (DNK, Marchum)

Infinity
    Avg: 5.82
    Highest Rate: 8 (Rawiri James, JSparksFan, freeme)
    Lowest Rate: 1 (sjm)

The Roof (Back In Time) [Morales Funky Club Mix]
    Avg: 5.83
    Highest Rate: 10 (Marchum)

Leave a comment:

• Tomer_MC
    replied

I feel like I'm being talked about haha - and I should explain.

My third 11 was difficult to hand out - so many worthy songs! But I felt like I should represent one of my all time fave remixes from Mariah.

And the reason it's this remix is because the vocals in this version are intense and so impressive, it has an energy that is infectious, and it's essentially a whole new song.

The belts, the energetic and rapid delivery, the breathlessness, the amazing backing vocals, those sustained "ooooooohs" at the end... the "I need it" refrains, the closing moments that are kinda sultry and sexy, over that driving beat that feels like it's someone heart racing intensely. Mariah seems out of breath, she seems desperate for that love, so passionate. It's just so good.

This was another step in the introduction of the newly free and confident Mariah that came out in the original version's opening bars.
    You're good at explaining lol - Def makes sense!!!

Leave a comment:

• InfoFromAus
    replied

I feel like I'm being talked about haha - and I should explain.

My third 11 was difficult to hand out - so many worthy songs! But I felt like I should represent one of my all time fave remixes from Mariah.

And the reason it's this remix is because the vocals in this version are intense and so impressive, it has an energy that is infectious, and it's essentially a whole new song.

The belts, the energetic and rapid delivery, the breathlessness, the amazing backing vocals, those sustained "ooooooohs" at the end... the "I need it" refrains, the closing moments that are kinda sultry and sexy, over that driving beat that feels like it's someone heart racing intensely. Mariah seems out of breath, she seems desperate for that love, so passionate. It's just so good.

This was another step in the introduction of the newly free and confident Mariah that came out in the original version's opening bars.

Originally posted by Leo View Post
    Some additional data:

- We've lost the first song with an 11 rate! But that does not mean this is the lowest ranked song with an 11...
    That's a surprising 11 points going to a remix! I too, love Honey and all it's remixes.
    Originally posted by Leo View Post

Agree that considering her vast catalogue, a remix to get 11 is great. It's interesting to know that 39 different tracks got 11s from at least 1 user. And Honey Classic Club mix is just 1 of MANY remixes that got 11s!

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    That's a surprising 11 points going to a remix!
    Agree that considering her vast catalogue, a remix to get 11 is great. It's interesting to know that 39 different tracks got 11s from at least 1 user. And Honey Classic Club mix is just 1 of MANY remixes that got 11s!

Leave a comment:

• latincoffee
    replied
    Lately, Subtle Invitation (which is one of the gems written with DJ in mind) has been on my playlist rotation. I like how she included MY All as a lyric in the last line of the song which is a huge hint that the song is about DJ as we know MY All was written for him as well...along with my other fave: Crybaby

Leave a comment:

• latincoffee
    replied
    That's a surprising 11 points going to a remix! I too, love Honey and all it's remixes.

Languishing is a beautiful song, well deserved.
    *singing* B to da R- A to da T!!! love how Mariah sings that part with layered vocals

Leave a comment:

Working...
X