Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSparksFan
    replied
    Just cast my ballot. Hope my fave songs do well!

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Album Title: Merry Christmas II You
    Release Date: November 2nd 2010 by Island Def Jam

General Info: Recording began in April 2010 and continued while Carey became pregnant. She was the executive producer of Merry Christmas II You and worked with various record producers, including Bryan-Michael Cox, Jermaine Dupri, Randy Jackson, James Poyser, Marc Shaiman, James "Big Jim" Wright and Johnny "Sev" Severin of RedOne. The album features Carey's mother Patricia Carey as a guest vocalist on "O Come All Ye Faithful" / "Hallelujah Chorus". The album serves as a sequel to her fourth studio album Merry Christmas (1994). It is composed of original songs and covers, ballads and uptempo tracks, incorporating R&B, soul and house music in its composition.

Reviews: The album received mixed reviews from music critics, who complimented its relaxed yet lively and contemporary feel, while others felt it was predictable and too overproduced in places.

Commercial performance: It debuted at number four on the US Billboard 200 chart, and reached number one on both the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and Top Holiday Albums charts. It was later certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), denoting shipments exceeding 500,000 copies. Elsewhere, however, the album was a moderate success, reaching the top-ten in South Korea and Taiwan; the top-twenty in Canada and Hong Kong; the top-thirty in Australia, Hungary and Japan; and the top-forty in Sweden. It missed out on the top 100 in the United Kingdom by one position, peaking at number 101 on the albums chart.

Singles:

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
    Oh Santa! 100 - - 73 - -
    When Christmas Comes feat. John Legend - - - - - -
    Auld Lang Syne (The New Year's Anthem) - - - - - -
    Christmas Time Is in the Air Again - - - - - -

Accolades: -

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 21st 2021

Oh Santa! Official Video - 17.988.846 views
    O Come All Ye Faithful/Hallelujah Chorus feat. Patricia Carey - 4.706.439 views
    Auld Lang Syne Official Video - 7.899.757 views
    When Christmas Comes Official Video with John Legend - 8.016.890 views
    Christmas Time Is In The Air Tonight Officila Lyrics Video - 1.407.510 views
    Charlie Brown Christmas Video - 698.077 views

Songs listed in the ballot:

Oh Santa!
    O Little Town of Bethlehem / Little Drummer Boy (Medley)
    Christmas Time Is In the Air Again
    The First Noel / Born Is the King (Interlude)
    When Christmas Comes
    Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane) / Housetop Celebration
    Charlie Brown Christmas
    O Come All Ye Faithful / Hallelujah Chorus (ft. Patricia Carey)
    O Holy Night (Live from WPC in South Central Los Angeles)
    One Child
    All I Want for Christmas Is You (Extra Festive)
    Auld Lang Syne (The New Year's Anthem)
    When Christmas Comes (with John Legend)
    Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Christmas 2 album.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    The era started with the right foot imo, as Obsessed was a fun and catchy track, with a clever video, and a The-Dream produced album seemed a great move considering he was kind of the hottest producer around those days. I was not IN LOVE with Obseesed as with some previous tracks, but I enjoyed it and gave it a lot of spins as I awaited for the whole project to drop.

And then it dropped... and I liked it, but was not conquered by it to be honest. What felt like a gret move to have a whole album with The-Dream, proved to beits main problem to me. It was kind of monotonous. So even when each track was good, I could not go through the whole project all at once.

I LOVe I Want To Know..., she delivers a powerful performance imo, and the final climax is amazing. The video was wierd, underwhelming, but as I moved on and went back to it later on I think its kinda cute and fits the song spirit. I was surprise anyway to find it's even higher that Obsessed, but I think brazilians are behind that achievement. Anyway, I think the #60 rank is unfair. it's amongst her best covers imo.

HATEU u was great but that video is really bad. But then UOMF and Angels came and I loved both versions and I was anticipating Angels Advocate but kinda understood the best move was to forget about it and move on. The two tracks released in Elusive proved the project was not going to be mindblowing to be honest...

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Album Title: Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
    Release Date: September 29th 2009 by Island

General Info: After promotion for her previous album, E=MC² (2008) ended, Carey began to work on a new album, producing songs with Terius "The-Dream" Nash and Christopher "Tricky" Stewart, and revealed the album's title through Twitter. Carey said that Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel would have "big ballads", and that "each song is its own snapshot of a moment in a story". In early 2009, singer and songwriter The-Dream stated that he and Carey had already begun working on her next studio album: "I think it's about just writing an album that includes the focus of all the hits that she's had. She can't take a loss; she has to do everything to the T. So it's basically like we're trying to make a greatest hits album without using the greatest hits".
    During an interview with music retailer Amazon.com, Carey revealed her inspiration and motivation for the album. "Each song tells its own story. Each one is like an intimate conversation or entry in a private diary. A lot of the songs reflect specific, different times in my life, actual events that happened to me, some of which are from way back in the past. Others were inspired by movies or from a friend of mine that may have told me their story. People can listen to it and pick out certain songs that mean something to them – women especially. It's about women's empowerment and overcoming certain things. It's fun too though. It's got a little bit of something for everybody".

Reviews: Upon its release, Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel received positive reviews from music critics. They felt that "their team-up with Carey is canny; Stewart and Nash loosen up the diva's sometimes overblown on-record persona", and also "one of her most sonically consistent". AllMusic gave the album three and a half stars (out of five) and called it "her most interesting album in a decade", commenting that "Even if it doesn't smack of the confessional autobiography of the title, there's no denying that Memoirs is an album, not a collection of tracks, possessing its own flow and mood, which gives it a personality the slightly desperate E=MC2 lacked" though "it never manages to kick out a song that is all that distinctive on its own terms".

Commercial performance: Commercially, the album debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 with 168,000 copies sold in its first week, and peaked within the top-ten in other five countries.

Singles:

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
    Obsessed 7 52 13 15 8 -
    I Want To Know What Love Is 60 19 45 57 6 37
    H.A.T.E.U. - - - - - -
    Up Out My Face (feat. Nicki Minaj) 100 - - - - -
    Angels Cry (feat. Ne-Yo) - 81 - - - -

Accolades: It was nominated as Outstanding Album for the NAACP Image awards.

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 20th 2021

Obsessed Official Video - 159.529.575 views
    Obsessed Remix Official Video feat. Gucci Mane - 17.075.993 views
    I Want To Know What Love Is Official Video - 165.533.415 views
    H.A.T.E.U. Official Video - 16.936.677 views
    Up Out My Face Official Video feat. Nicki Minaj - 62.429.262 views
    Angels Cry Official Video feat. Ne-Yo - 148.207.735 views

Betcha Gon' Know (The Prologue)
    Obsessed
    H.A.T.E.U.
    Candy Bling
    Ribbon
    Inseparable
    Standing O
    It's a Wrap
    Up Out My Face
    More Than Just Friends
    The Impossible
    The Impossible (The Reprise)
    Angel (The Prelude)
    Angels Cry
    Languishing (The Interlude)
    I Want To Know What Love Is
    Angels Cry (ft. Ne-Yo)
    H.A.T.E.U. (ft. OJ Da Juiceman, Big Boi & Gucci Mane)
    Up Out My Face (ft. Nicki Minaj)
    Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Memoirs album.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Originally posted by Milano View Post
    Where do I vote?
    You can send a PM to Leo and myself.

The ballot with all the songs is on the front page.

Leave a comment:

• Milano
    replied
    Where do I vote?

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Leo and I have added some more days for the voting. So the new (and absolute!) deadline is Wednesday 24th March 2021.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Einstein started off so promising but it derailed so quickly.

They were really, really expecting Bye Bye to be the second coming of GOAT. Down to the climax and everything.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    ByeBye with almost 100M views is surprising.

After the masive era that Emancipation was, Touch My Body was PERFECT. It was fresh, fun, catchy. It was one of my most played tracks for a very long time. Whe the album dropped I really loved it, it was very solid form start to finish, and the CD was the only thing I would listen to in my car. I moved with my wife during those days and she loved the album, specially For The Record, so it was on heavy rotation all the time everywhere.

I do feel the album grew a little old in time, and today I go back to some songs (IBLYLT is my fav) but not the whole thing, in comparisson to earlier work or even Emancipation.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Album Title: E=MC2
    Release Date: April 15th 2008 by Island

General Info: Mariah began recording the album in 2007 in Anguilla, after writing and composing most of its material during and after her 2006 Adventures of Mimi Tour. Carey worked with various songwriters and producers on the project, including Jermaine Dupri, Bryan-Michael Cox, Stargate, The-Dream, Tricky Stewart, Scott Storch and Danja.
    The album revealed a more personal side of the singer, illustrated in its declarative theme of emancipation from her previous marriage, and from her personal and professional setbacks. It was meant to be a continuation, or a second part of her tenth studio album, The Emancipation of Mimi (2005). Although it shared similar vocal production as well as an inclination to her signature pop and R&B ballads, the album also encompassed a variety of dance-oriented and uptempo styles. Carey collaborated with a number of artists on the album, including T-Pain, Damian Marley and Young Jeezy. Though considered by critics very similar to the formula its predecessor had been built on, E=MC² included other genres she had never explored, such as reggae, and her continued recording of gospel-influenced hymns.
    Mariah described E=MC² as one of her most expressive albums, and one that she felt free on, and able to express herself through her music. In an interview with The Bryan Times, she spoke of her sentiments on the album "It's hard for me to sit here and talk about it without sounding like if I'm bragging if I'm in love with it, but I am I love with this album. I think that having the success with the last record allowed me to have more freedom...and just make records that I like. It's kind of a really fun record".

Reviews: E=MC² was generally well received by music critics, with many complimenting the record's broad genre influences, and musical and production styles. Some critics, however, felt that the album was too similar to The Emancipation of Mimi, and didn't offer anything new from the formula.

Commercial performance: The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 with opening week sales of 463,000 copies; the highest first-week sales of Carey's career. It also debuted at number one in Canada and opened inside the top-five in Australia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Worldwide, the album has sold over 2.5 million copies.

Singles: The album's lead single, "Touch My Body", became Carey's eighteenth chart-topper on the Billboard Hot 100, making her the solo artist with the most number one singles in United States history, surpassing the record held by Elvis Presley. Additionally, it gave Carey her 79th week atop the chart, tying Presley for most weeks at number one.

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
    Touch My body 1 5 17 2 16 7
    Migrate 92 - - - - -
    Bye Bye 19 30 53 34 - 70
    I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time 58 84 - 69 - -
    I Stay In Love - 95 - - - -

Accolades: -.

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 18th 2021

Touch My Body Official Video - 199.217.331 views
    Bye Bye Official Video - 98.862.554 views
    I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time Official Video feat. T.I. - 17.552.287 views
    I Stay In Love Official Video - 34.787.551 views
    Love Story Official Video - 10.443.391 views

Migrate (ft. T-Pain)
    Touch My Body
    Cruise Control (ft. Damian Marley)
    I Stay In Love
    Side Effects (ft. Young Jeezy)
    I'm That Chick
    Love Story
    I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time
    Last Kiss
    Thanx 4 Nothin'
    O.O.C.
    For the Record
    Bye Bye
    I Wish You Well
    Heat
    4real4real (ft. Da Brat)
    Bye Bye So So Def Remix (feat. Jay-Z)
    Touch My Body Remix (ft. The Dream)

Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Einstein album.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Voted.

Was exhausting, too many remixes.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by bm08 View Post

We may add a bit extra time. Dont worry!
    That would be great. I'd like to re-think my votes as it's been a few weeks and I may have a change of heart.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
    Leo and bm08 I'll be voting (I really want to)... hopefully tomorrow my time when I have a moment. When does this close like London or NY time? Or Sydney time lol ?
    We may add a bit extra time. Dont worry!

Leave a comment:

• InfoFromAus
    replied
    Leo and bm08 I'll be voting (I really want to)... hopefully tomorrow my time when I have a moment. When does this close like London or NY time? Or Sydney time lol ?

Leave a comment:

• monarcbutterfly
    replied
    The Emancipation of Mimi: return of the voice. That was the tag line, The Return of the Voice. What a wonderful era to be a lamb. Anticipation was building for the new album, Say Something leaked early and I remember thinking it was just ok (although I appreciate it more now). Then It’s Like That came along and after seeing the video, I knew something special was upon us. It was a different Mariah than the Charmbracelet days, she seemed more confident and the chest voice was back with whispering to a minimum.
    ILT was a top 10 hit in the UK and top 20 in the US.
    THEN came WBT and my world stopped for a moment. A ballad with a beat which sounded so good and refreshing. Her voice, tone and background vocals were superb. No.1 for 14 weeks in the US felt like justice after the stormy preceding years. Infuriatingly it missed out on no.1 in the UK by about 300 units.
    I remember the first time I listened to TEOM, it was on CD and I had a good set of speakers. The whole way through listening to it, I just say with my mouth open. I was surprised by the beat and I loved it. This wasn’t 90s Mariah, it was a new and updated version, the ballads were there but they were different. Standout tracks for me, ILT, WBT and FLAB.
    So many highlights from the era, LIVE 8 was amazing but also, seeing two of her albums (GH and TEOM) in the top 10 in the UK was a wonderful thing. I was 24 when TEOM was released and I remember chatting to my young nieces at that time and they told me they loved the new Mariah album, I was very proud, suddenly it was ‘cool’ to like Mariah again.
    She was embraced again and the critics called it one of the greatest comebacks and it certainly felt like that.
    After all the scoring, TEOM is tied 7th on my album list.

Leave a comment:

• Sebastian
    replied
    I rated 3 songs with 11, and my lowest scored song had a 3.

Leave a comment:

• Sebastian
    replied
    Sent my votes to both bm08 and Leo!

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    With The Emancipation of Mimi it was the first time I heard leaks before I bought the album: To The Floor and Say Somethin'... I didn't like them at all. When the album was released and I heard the Japanese edition would have bonus tracks, I decided to order this edition even though it meant I had to wait a little longer. Since Unplugged in 1992, I had always bought Mariah's album on the day of release, but I just had to have all the songs and ordering it from Japan, meant I had to wait. My friend (who joined me at concerts) recorded the album on tape, so I could listen to the songs in the meantime on cassette. She added With You I'm Born Again, which became my favorite song those first weeks, followed by Fly Like A Bird.

Of course the album grew on me and I have several favorite songs these days:

We Belong Together: I LOVE the video and the song went to #2 here. It became one of my all time favorite Mariah songs. LOVE it.

Mine Again: Such a beautiful ballad. Sounds very old school soul to me. Her belting is out of this world. The whole sound is so classic soul, I LOVE it. When it entered the R&B chart in the US without being released as a single, I was hoping it would be her next single. Then when it was nominated for a Grammy, I was hoping again for it to be released as a single. It never happened, but it's still a favorite of mine.

Say Somethin': Although I never really liked the song, I LOVE the dance remixes. In fact, it's one of my favorite re-sung remix she's done.

Stay The Night; It's a bit 'noisy', so it took me a while to get to like the song. But once I did, it's been an album favorite ever since. Love the long notes and the ad libs at the end.

Get Your Number: The sample made me love this song early on. And although I'm not too big a fan of hearing JD, he's doing a fun job here. This song always makes me smile. It was a Top 10 hit here.

Circles: Great story telling here. I just picture everything she sings about, when I listen to this song. Could have had a great video. Been my favorite song of the album for a while. Still love it loads.

Your Girl: Such a fun album track. Never get bored of it.

I Wish You Knew: Very Diana Ross. Love the live feel in the middle of the song. Great album track.

Fly Like A Bird: I love a good gospel song. Although it was the first song on the album I really loved, I have to be in the mood to turn to this song. A perfect album closer.

We Belong Together remix: Best bonus on the platinum edition. When I still played Mini-Discs, I stuck the intro of this remix to the album version. As I played it a lot for a long time, the intro of this remix was still stuck to the album version in my mind when I didn't listen to my Mini-Discs anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    Glitter and Charmbracelet could not kill my love for Mariah, but my increasing interest in other music stules and artists gain territory. But then Mimi was starting to build fuzz, and the first sign was the "leak" of Say Somethin' and To The Floor. I have to admit I found them, and it was mindblowing... it did not sound as anything I herad from her before. I was addicted to those sounds and all the hype that was slowly been build around her comeback. The Return of the Voice... the summaries of listening partis anticipating thsis was going to be THE album... the name Emancipation of Mimi that multiplied interest around the project....

And then It's Like That happened... it was such a fresh and impressive first single imo. After Loverboy and Through The Rain, this sounded like the perfect introduction and choice. I could not stop listening to it, on repeat, as I waited for the whole project to arrive. I got it first not as I should have, but at that point, argentina would release the album with some delay so i just could not wait. I LOVED the album, but WBT was instant love. It was PERFECT. 3 mins and some, the song ends and you NEED more so you replay it, and it was a vicious circle... Shake it off, Stay the night, fly like a bird, get your number, and I wish you knew, which was like a BIG fav of mine although in time my obsession reduced. And one and only which was FIRE.

The ultra platinum edition added little but great. Oh, what an era to be a lamb. Seeing her rise, seeing her enjoying every moment, shining. Getting all the grammy love with 8 noms... I felt too bad for the grammys when they snubbed her like that... no award in the live telecast, no Song or Record of the Year for WBT... I wouldn't mind U2 taking Album of the Year but Song was just a slap in the face to an artist that deserved recognition (and already late imo) ad who went and gave a standing ovation performance. I have to agree that since that day I lost all respect for Grammys, and I am kinda glad she seems not affected by them.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    kinda realize that James/Tanaka thing was inspired by IT's Like That + We Belong Together video...

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Album Title: The Emancipation of Mimi
    Release Date: April 12th 2005 by Island

General Info: After enduring three years of "carping" from critics, Carey planned her return to music. On November 18, 2004, she revealed on her website that the name of the album would be The Emancipation of Mimi. While Carey was recording the album, Island Records executive L.A. Reid had learned that close friends referred to the singer as "Mimi". He had told Carey, "I feel your spirit on this record. You should use that name in the title, because that's the fun side of you that people don't get to see – the side that can laugh at the diva jokes, laugh at the breakdown jokes, laugh at whatever they want to say about you and just live life and enjoy it." Carey explained that Mimi is a "very personal nickname" only used by those in her inner circle, and thus the title meant she was letting her guard down and inviting her fans to be that much closer to her. She thought that naming her album The Emancipation of Mariah Carey would be "obnoxious".
    Although it has similar vocal production to her previous works and an inclination towards her signature ballads, the album encompasses dance-oriented and uptempo styles in keeping with its celebratory motif. Critics noted the theme of independence and lack of restraint, dubbing the album a "party" record. According to Reid, Carey intended for the album to feature a more unpolished sound than her previous releases. The singer had been frustrated with the overproduction on many of her previous records, due to the inclusion of what she considered unnecessary "bells and whistles". She opted to record the majority of The Emancipation of Mimi live, alongside the band. Reid agreed with this decision and felt that the live vocals made the album sound more authentic.

Reviews: The Emancipation of Mimi received a 64 out of 100 (indicating "generally positive reviews") on Metacritic, a website that averages professional reviews from critics into a numerical score. In the updated edition for the The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time published in 2020 by American magazine Rolling Stone, the album ranked at number 389.

Commercial performance: It became her first album since Butterfly (1997) to debut at number one on the US Billboard 200, selling over 404,000 copies in its first week and becoming the country's best-selling album of 2005. Internationally, it entered in the top five on the albums charts in Canada, Denmark, France, and Japan, and was the world's second best-selling album of the year. The Emancipation of Mimi has sold over 10 million copies worldwide.

Singles:

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
    It's Like That 16 4 9 - 16 14
    We Belong Together 1 2 1 - 12 11
    Shake It Off 2 9 6 - - -
    Get Your Number (feat. Jermaine Dupri) - - 19 - - 27
    Don't Forget About Us 1 11 12 - - 41
    Fly Like a Bird - - - - - -
    Say Somethin' (feat. Snoop Dogg) 79 27 26 - - 63

Accolades: It earned ten Grammy Award nominations in 2006–07: eight in 2006 for the original release (the most received by Carey in a single year), and two in 2007 for the Ultra Platinum Edition. In 2006, Carey won Best Contemporary R&B Album for The Emancipation of Mimi, as well as Best Female R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B Song for "We Belong Together". Carey was nominated for, but did not win, Album of the Year (The Emancipation of Mimi), Record of the Year ("We Belong Together"), Song of the Year ("We Belong Together"), Best Female Pop Vocal Performance ("It's Like That"), and Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance ("Mine Again").
    The Emancipation of Mimi won the 2005 Soul Train Awards for Best R&B/Soul Album and Best Female R&B/Soul Album, and the 2005 Vibe Award for Album of the Year. Rolling Stone ranked the album at number 43 on its 2005 list of the year's best albums, and Entertainment Weekly ranked it at number 21 on their list of the "Top 100 Best Albums of the past 25 years". "We Belong Together" won a Teen Choice Award, a World Music Award, five Billboard Music Awards, four Radio Music Awards, and three Bambi Awards. "Shake It Off" and "Don't Forget About Us" won two additional Bambis.

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 15th 2021

It's Like That Official Video feat. Jermaine Dupri & Fatman Scoop - 47.136.469 views
    It's Like That Live - 413.685 views
    We Belong Together Official Video - 452.916.239 views
    We Belong Together (Mimi's Late Night Valentine's Mix) - 2.225.169 views
    Shake It Off Official Video - 57.008.294 views
    Get Your Number Official Video - 9.206.834 views
    Get You Number Live - 388.001 views
    Get Your Number Live II - 442.388 views
    Don't Forget About Us Official Video - 69.887.596 views
    Say Somethin' Official Video feat. Snoop Dogg - 12.508.986 views

It's Like That
    We Belong Together
    Shake It Off
    Mine Again
    Say Somethin' (ft. Snoop Dogg)
    Stay the Night
    Get Your Number (ft. Jermaine Dupri)
    One and Only (ft. Twista)
    Circles
    Your Girl
    I Wish You Knew
    To the Floor (ft. Nelly)
    Joy Ride
    Fly Like a Bird
    Sprung
    Secret Love
    Don't Forget About Us
    So Lonely (One and Only Pt. II) [with Twista]
    Makin' It Last All Night (What It Do) [ft. Jermaine Dupri]
    We Belong Together (Remix) [ft. Jadakiss & Styles P]
    Don't Forget About Us (Desert Storm Remix) [ft. Fabolous & Styles P]
    Don't Forget About Us Remix feat. Juelz Santana & Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony
    It's Like That (David Morales Classic Mix)
    It's Like That Scott Storch Remix feat. Fat Joe & Scott Storch
    Say Somethin' (ft. Dem Franchize Boyz) [So So Def Remix]
    Shake It Off Remix feat. Jay-Z & Jeezy
    Your Girl Diplomat Remix feat. Cam'ron, Juelz Santana & Diplomat
    Say Somethin' (David Morales Radio Edit)
    Say Somethin' (Stereo Anthem Mix)
    Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Emancipation album.

Leave a comment:

• InfoFromAus
    replied
    I will!

I have to get the nerve to rank her songs.
    And the patience!

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    Happy to see so many reflections on Charmy - an underrated gem in her monster catalog!

6 days to get votes in folks!

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Charmbracelet: First album I tend to skip a lot of the songs. It's not that I hate them, but I find some songs sort of boring. There is no other album where I tend to skip that many songs. On the other hand, it does have some of my very favorite songs ever like Bringin' On The Heartbreak and Through The Rain. I was grateful for I Know What You Want, because although it was mostly a rap record, I really love that song and made the era more enjoyable. And of course her coming to Europe for her World Tour was something I really looked forward to. I still remember sitting on the concrete floor outside of the concert hall, stuck underneath a bit of plastic to shelter me from the rain. I went with my same friend who joined me on the previous tours. I hurt so much after sitting on the concrete for hours, that I promised myself to go for seats (with a number) from now on, so I wouldn't have to go through this ever again.

Through The Rain: It took me some getting used to the way she uses her voice here. I loved the lyrics and video from day one. Her inspirational songs usually are among my favorite ones on an album. And while (surprisingly) it didn't go Top 10 in the US, it did do so here. It was great to see her back high up in the charts here (it was her biggest hit here since Heartbreaker).

Bringin' On The Heartbreak: Probably my favorite song on the album. One of her best covers. Great video, great vocals, great interpretation. Just love everything about it. Could have been a hit, had it been released world wide with some tv-appearances across the world.

You Got Me/The One/Boy (I Need You): Sound a bit the same to me. I prefered You Got Me. I think it's the most catchy one of the three and I liked the rap the most. It was only when Boy was released as a single and we got the no-rap version, it became my new favorite of those three.

Yours: Although I like it, it fails in comparison with her older sisters Underneath The Stars and Fourth of July.

I Only Wanted: Another song that I like, but this one also fails in comparison with her older sisters I Don't Wanna Cry, My All and even when compared to After Tonight.

My Saving Grace: I appreciated it more at the time than I do know. This one fails in comparison with her younger sister Fly Like A Bird.

Clown/You Had Your Chance/Lullaby/Irresistible/Subtle Invation/Sunflowers for Alfred Roy/Through The Rain-remix: Those seven songs sound too boring. I do play them from time to time, but I don't like listening to those as part of the album as I get bored. I need to hear a great up-tempo or big ballad in between.

Leave a comment:

• monarcbutterfly
    replied
    Charmbracelet; damage control. I remember thinking at the time that Through the Rain was the perfect lead single, it had Mariah back singing an inspirational ballad. The video was great and it seemed to send the message that ‘I’m ok’ imo. On first listen, I couldn’t quite understand all the whispering and sure enough the media (at least here in the UK) were suggesting she had lost her voice. Some of my friends were also saying that.
    Throughout this era she and/or the record label understandably wanted to rebuild her image. She seemed to tone down the Diva thing and she looked so beautiful during this era. On a whole I do think it worked. The tour that followed was also a great move, she was out there reminding people of what she could do: sing! CB tour was the second time I seen her in concert, Wembley, London again. Vocals were amazing.
    As for the album, I liked it but I couldn’t ignore the whispering and it still makes me wonder why she did it in practically the whole album. She was on fire lyric-wise though imo. I only Wanted is the highlight for me. After the scoring, CB is 13th on my album list.

I hope these long posts are ok

Leave a comment:

Working...
X