Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monarcbutterfly
    replied
    I’m finding scoring the albums fascinating. I’ve never actually sat down and scored each song or ranked the albums but this has given me a great opportunity to do so.

I’ve added the scores of each song and then averaged it out per album.

I’ve completed the albums and of the albums mentioned so far, Music Box and the debut are tied on 4th. (I am including the Christmas albums and The Rarities).

I wouldn’t have predicted that as Music Box era is when I became a lamb, although I was aware of her and I did like her, particularly VOL. It wasn’t until MB era that the UK and Ireland sat up and took notice of her properly. I had thought MB would be my top scoring album but nope, there are three in front of it.

I know some lambs think of it as being a bit bland and generic but DL, Hero, AYNAF, MB and WY make it one of my favourite albums, it was a great time to be a lamb. EFA is also the greatest EVER

Leave a comment:

• Tomer_MC
    replied
    Music Box is such a HUGE seller in Mariah's discography, one would guess it would have been "safe" for Mariah to keep that type of sound. though the shift was already happening, obviously it was mainstream at it's best (nothing wrong 'bout that).
    For me, even though at that time I wasn't aware of Mariah Carey, a couple years later, when I heard Hero for the first time - in an instant it got to me. and though I've had my ups and downs moments with this song, when I think of Mariah Carey, it's the first song that comes to my mind. I remember being at her concert, the first and only time she performed in Israel in 2015, when Hero came along and the first piano note strated, I was already in tears. I will treasure this moment forever.

Music Box, Anytime You Need A Friend & Everything Fades Away are my fav from this album.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    Christmas music is not popular in Argentina, at all. We are right inside summer here in december, with +30 degrees, so all songs about winter and snow just makes no sense. And when this album was released I still didn't use the net so I would not know about its existance... back then the only way for me to discover about new releases was MTV or newspapers, and in Argentina noone mentioned it.

Therefore I never knew about this album until january 1996. I was with my grandma at a music store and she asked me to buy me a record so I saw it and decided to buy it even when christmas was way over and we still had like 11 months ahead for the next one. I remember she thinking I was crazy but grandmas are only here to spoil us so she bought it for me (side note, she is 90 and will get vaccinated next friday, I am so happy!!). End of story: I was in my bedroom, listening to Silent Night in january... Liked it, and I was going through a Mariah stage after Daydream Mariah was back on heavy rotation.

Still I was never completely into this album until I think 2016. Since then, I completely love this from start to finish.

In 1996 my fav was Miss You Most. I grew a little tired of it, although I keep listening to it in christmas time and enjoy it. Of course AIW is pop perfection to me. And finally Jesus Born On This Day... I just find that the most underrated christmas tune from her, noone mentions it but god that's gorgeous. And I can swear to god that I was once watching a Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman christmas episode and in the end Dr Quinn and some others started to sing Jesus Born... I could never find that episode again. So maybe I dreamt about it. But I don't think my mind would be so crazy to bring this in any dream so if you tell me, I think Jesus is portrayed in the end of the christmas episode of Dr Quinn, probably 1994-5 season.
    Last edited by Leo; Tue February 23, 2021, 02:01.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Xmas GOAT is literally the most timeless song in history.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    I'll get to Merry Christmas tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    AIWFCIY is the undeniable #1 here, top of each market! Call her local lol

This era has almost 1.200M views!!!! Of them all, I really love O Holy Night getting 78M, love that one!

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Album Title: Merry Christmas
    Release Date: October 28th 1994 by Columbia Records

General Info: The album features cover versions of popular Christmas tunes and original material. Carey worked with Walter Afanasieff, with whom she wrote all of the original tracks, as well as producing Carey's interpretations of the covered material. Three singles were released from the album, of which "All I Want for Christmas Is You" went on to become one of the best-selling singles of all time and the best-selling holiday ringtone in the United States.
    After the success of Carey's previous effort, Music Box, there was speculation of a new project in the works; however it was not until October 1994, only one month before the album's release, that Billboard announced Carey would be releasing a holiday album for the Christmas season. Initially, critics were shocked; they did not know how Carey would fare as an entertainer, as she had previously only been viewed as a pop star. Nevertheless, Carey, unaffected by the speculation, continued working on, and promoting the album in high spirits, confident in her work. The idea proved to be wise, earning Carey recognition in various markets including Christian radio and contemporary R&B stations, as well as extended her fame in Japan, where the album experienced much of its success.

Reviews: Critical response to the album's contemporary holiday theme was mixed. Some music critics complimented the "gospel and soul-inflected" vocals and even called it "Carey's best record" to date. In a retrospective review, Barry Schwartz of Stylus Magazine believed Merry Christmas may have been "the definitive Mariah Carey album", finding the singer at "her absolute creative and commercial peak, her voice still a marvel, her songs and performances still undeniably brilliant".

Commercial performance: Re-released on multiple occasions in various formats since its debut, the album has sold 5.7 million copies in the United States as of December 2019 and has been certified eight-times Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). Internationally, it reached number one in Japan, Latvia and Lithuania; as well as the top-ten in 16 other countries, including Australia, Canada, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Singles: "Jesus Born on This Day", an original song, was sent to Christian and gospel radio stations in 1994 as the first promotional single. The official lead single, "All I Want for Christmas Is You", became a holiday standard and by October 2017, it had become the 11th-bestselling single in modern music.

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
    Jesus Born On This Day - - - - - -
    All I Want For Christmas Is You 1 1 1 1 1 1
    Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) - - - - - -
    Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) - - 33 - - -
    Accolades: -.

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of Feb 22nd 2021

All I Want For Christmas Is You Official Video - 690.945.249 views
    All I Want For Christmas Is You Black & White Official Video - 3.903.186 views
    All I Want For Christmas Is You Unrelease Footage Video - 21.087.853 views
    All I Want For Christmas Is You JD Remix Animated - 1.774.101 views
    All I Want for Christmas Is You (SuperFestive!) (with Justin Bieber) - 203.554.243 views
    All I Want For Christmas Is You (Make My Wish Come True Edition) - 152.417.215 views
    All I Want For Christmas Is You (Behind The Scenes) - 1.450.574 views
    All I Want For Christmas Is You (Celebrity Edition) - 1.574.514 views
    All I Want For Christmas Is You Live at St. John the Divine - 2.826.899 views
    All I Want For Christmas Is You Live at Tokyo Dome - 4.452.842 views
    All I Want For Christmas Is You Live from Europe - 3.473.982 views
    Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) Official Video - 7.914.957 views
    Joy to The World Celebration Mix official Video - 465.931 views
    Joy To The World Live at St. John the Divine - 5.561.882 views
    O Holy Night Official Video - 78.735.840 views
    Jesus Born On This Day Live at St. John the Divine - 635.853 views
    Silent Night Live at St. John the Divine - 776.877 views
    Hark! The Herald Angels Sing Live at St. John The Divine - 639.873 views
    Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town Live at St. John The Divine - 516.004 views
    Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town (Animated Video) - 953.593 views

Songs listed in the ballot:
    Silent Night
    All I Want For Christmas Is You
    O Holy Night
    Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
    Miss You Most (At Christmas Time)
    Joy To the World
    Jesus Born On This Day
    Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
    Hark! The Herald Angels Sing / Gloria (In Excelsis Deo)
    Jesus Oh What a Wonderful Child
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    All I Want For Christmas Is You (ft. Jermaine Dupri & Bow Wow) [So So Def Remix]
    All I Want For Christmas Is You (with Justin Bieber) [SuperFestive Version]
    Joy to the World (Celebration Mix)
    Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (Anniversary Mix)
    Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Merry Christmas album.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    Originally posted by bm08 View Post
    This era has some real gems. Among the most underrated, I think Never Forget You is such a beautiful track. It is one that got a bit of shine with the MC30 EPs, but even then I dont think appreciated just how smooth an R&B track this is. There is real emotion and soul in her voice throughout this track which I appreciate
    I discovered the Edit version in the MC30 EP and I think it improves the album version by a mile!

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo View Post
    RayRay and musedeva

The idea here is for members to rate each song of Mariah's discography from 1-10, using this brief guide:
    10 - GOAT, above perfection!
    9 - Perfection
    8 - Almost perfect!
    7 - Very good!
    6 - Good one!
    5 - Okay, I enjoy when it comes
    4 - Sometimes I skip it...
    3 - I skip it most of the times, sorry
    2 - I deleted it from my library
    1 - Erase from planet earth

You can vote 3 songs with "11" and also 3 songs with "0" only if you want.

Once we get all votes, we will present final ranking based on averages.

You can vote to the complete ballot in the first post via PM to bm08 and myself, or vote era by era as we advance here. We will be presenting 3 eras per week.

And in the meantime, you can share your ideas about each era as they are presented here, how you discovered each, what it means to you, fav songs, memories from those days, etc.
    I voted on day one.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    This era has some real gems. Among the most underrated, I think Never Forget You is such a beautiful track. It is one that got a bit of shine with the MC30 EPs, but even then I dont think appreciated just how smooth an R&B track this is. There is real emotion and soul in her voice throughout this track which I appreciate

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    this is the era that made me a fan.

Early 1994. I went to the US with my family during our summer holidays (jan 1994, winter in the north). I had some money saved so I decided to spend it all on CDs. At least once a day I would enter a record store, my father giving me no more than 30 mins to spend there, and I would get lost and buy wisely. I completed my Madonna and Bon Jovi discography, and would also buy plenty of albums I was not that familiar with but I felt I wanted/needed. And one of those was Mariah's Music Box. I bought around 25 cds that trip, but to be fair, Mariah's was the one I was more intrigued about.

I didn't even know she released a new album, so I was exited. But there was one big problem: we didn't gring our cd player, so i had all those albums there but couldn't listen to them! So every night, before going to sleep, I would go through my new collection. And Mariah's was somehow catching my attention more and more. I would read the lyris and try to imagine how each song would sound. Call me crazy, but I thought Hero was kind of Emotions lol.

The moment I got home early february, i got lost in my bedroom and Mariah was the first album I listened to... she captured me. I know that it sounds a little safe imo, but I thought the album ws, for the first time, perfect: only 10 songs so when it finished I only needed more so I would replay it; not even one filler, the flow was outstanding. I a not lying if I say it took me MONTHS to complete listening to all albums I bought in that trip, and it was becuase Music Box won me over. I eventually moved on once MAdonna released Bedtime Stories and I went that october to NY and spend all my savings again in album (like 30+ in that trip), but Music Box will always have that soft spot in my heart as my first real bond with Mariah. Still today I feel it's amongst her best albums.

I highlight each and every one of the songs, but Now That I Know and All I've Ever Wanted were on heavy repeat at home.

Leave a comment:

• DNK
    replied
    I voted.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    RayRay and musedeva

The idea here is for members to rate each song of Mariah's discography from 1-10, using this brief guide:
    10 - GOAT, above perfection!
    9 - Perfection
    8 - Almost perfect!
    7 - Very good!
    6 - Good one!
    5 - Okay, I enjoy when it comes
    4 - Sometimes I skip it...
    3 - I skip it most of the times, sorry
    2 - I deleted it from my library
    1 - Erase from planet earth

You can vote 3 songs with "11" and also 3 songs with "0" only if you want.

Once we get all votes, we will present final ranking based on averages.

You can vote to the complete ballot in the first post via PM to bm08 and myself, or vote era by era as we advance here. We will be presenting 3 eras per week.

And in the meantime, you can share your ideas about each era as they are presented here, how you discovered each, what it means to you, fav songs, memories from those days, etc.

Leave a comment:

• musedeva
    replied
    I'm confused

I'm supposed to vote top ten songs of all time? ie. from all albums?

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Is there only one round? Or are there several rounds coming up before the winning song is chosen?

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    DP.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Catapulted Kween into the stratosphere but I seem to like Karen Box less and less over time.
    Last edited by Goldmoney; Sun February 21, 2021, 03:46.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Music Box: I was so excited and looking forward to this album. It had been two years since Emotions, so I was more than ready for a new album. Of course she gave us Unplugged and the Trey Lorenz debut album in 1992, but a whole album of new Mariah songs, that was something to get all excited about. Round that time I had met some other fans and with one of them, I used to go to record stores, searching for import cd-singles. First thing we heard was that a new album called Hero was coming. Later the title was changed to Music Box. I loved the cover sleeve and Dreamlover was a great lead single. Especially as it had re-sung dance remixes and a bonus track (Do You Think Of Me).

Dreamlover: This was something different for Mariah. She had the ballads, she had up-tempo's. This was the first real mid-tempo. The thing I loved most was the dance remix. Back in those days I loved remixes more than I do now. But never had I heard someone re-sing a song for the remix. So this was something extra special.

Hero: Great inspirational lyric, but never a favorite of mine.

Anytime You Need A Friend: Loved this right from the start and hoped it would be a future single. So happy when it was released. And even more thrilled when she re-sang it for the dance remixes, but also for the soul remix. It was the first time she had straight hair, so when I saw the cover sleeve and the video... I didn't like it at all at first. It took me a long time to get used to Mariah with straight hair as it seemed so out of place. It was only when she had straight hair more often during the Butterfly era, that I started to get used to it. I was totally surprised last year (or the year before) when I found out that she had done two videos for AYNAF, but the one with the curly hair and children as angels got shelved. How this was not known to me for so many years was something I could hardly believe. Hope it will see the light of day someday.

Now That I Know: Another favorite of mine of which I hoped it would be a future single. Real shame it was never released. Most of Mariah's hits here were ballads: Vision Of Love, I'll Be There, Hero, Without You, Anytime You Need A Friend, Endless Love... With three ballads in a row and then moving to Endless Love was something I wouldn't have chosen. I would have squeezed Now That I Know in before Endless Love. Mariah was extremely popular and seeing Janet Jackson, Whitney and Madonna releasing five, six or even seven songs from one album, made me wonder why Mariah only released four (or just three from Emotions). Now That I Know could have given us something to dance to in the clubs and could have showed the GP she was more than just a ballad singer.

Never Forget You: Such a beautiful lyric. A lyric like The Wind, One Sweet Day and Bye Bye about a loved one who died. NFY gave it an extra layer though as you have to read between the lines to fully understand why she lost this friend. Babyface was hot at that time and I was really happy they worked together. I also found it beautiful how Without You and NFY were linked on one single as they both dealt with the same sentiment about losing someone (though for a different reason).

Without You: It took me a few months before I finally fell in love with this song. I didn't know the original, so to me it was a new song. It was one of the songs I skipped when listening to the album. I thought the lyric was simple and I missed a build up to a bridge. So when it was released as the third single I thought it was a very wrong move. How wrong I was! Harry Nilsson had just died and I don't know if it helped the song, but I was completely shook to see it enter straight at #1 in the UK. And here in the Netherlands it went to #1 as well. I couldn't believe this was happening. It was really huge all over Europe. The song was everywhere, on heavy rotation on the radio and TV and I finally embraced the song and still love it a lot to this day. When it got so big in Europe, I was sure it would be another #1 for her in the US as most of her singles did. I still don't understand why it got stuck at #3 in a country where she was much more popular than here in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    This era has almost 720M views, fueled by 2 massive videos by Hero and Without You.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied

Album Title: Music Box
    Release Date: August 31st 1993 by Columbia Records

General Info: The album was produced by Carey and Afanasieff, who began a songwriting partnership that would extend until 1997's Butterfly. During the course of the album's development, Carey wanted to broaden her audience, choosing a more pop/R&B oriented sound. During this time frame, she experimented with different musical instruments, leading the album's sound away from her more contemporary previous two efforts.

Reviews: The album was released to mixed reviews from music critics. Carey's songwriting was derided as clichéd and her vocal performances were described as less emotive and lazier in their delivery. In his review of the album, AllMusic's Ron Wynn concluded: "sometimes excessive spirit is preferable to an absence of passion."

Commercial performance: The album reached number one in 14 countries, including Australia, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) certified it Diamond, for shipments of ten million copies across the United States. Music Box remains Carey's highest seller with 28 million copies sold worldwide and is one of the best-selling albums of all time.

Singles: Four singles were released from the album. The first three, "Dreamlover", "Hero" and "Without You", became worldwide chart-topping singles, the latter becoming Carey's highest charting international single of her career.

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
    Dreamlover 1 9 7 1 49 39
    Hero 1 7 7 3 5 41
    Without You 3 1 3 4 2 1
    Never Foget You - - - - - -
    Anytime You Need A Friend 12 8 12 5 12 41

Accolades: Mariah was nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for "Dreamlover" at the 1994 Grammy Awards and received the same nomination for "Hero" at the 1995 Grammy Awards.

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of Feb 20th 2021

Dreamlover Official Video - 32.588.251 views
    Dreamlover from Top of the Pops - 219.799 views
    Dreamlover from Mariah Carey (Live) - 172.458 views
    Dreamlover from Fantasy: Live at Madison Square Garden - 1.734.547 views
    Dreamlover from Around The World - 344.588 views
    Hero Official Video - 275.057.034 views
    Hero from Mariah Carey (Live) - 3.060.265 views
    Hero Live at St. John the Divine - 526.532 views
    Hero from Fantasy: Live at Madison Square Garden - 8.280.366 views
    Hero from Around The World - 677.087 views
    Hero Live at Home Tribute - 2.668.831 views
    Without You Official Live Video - 307.294.082 views
    Without You from Top of the Pops - 734.377 views
    Without You from Mariah Carey (Live) - 40.454.315 views
    Without You from Fantasy: Live at Madison Square Garden - 24.314.568 views
    Without You Live at Tokyo Dome - 464.109 views
    Anytime You Need A Friend Official Video - 17.118.639 views
    Anytime You Need A Friend Alt. Version - 907.038 views
    Anytime You Need A Friend Soul Convention Remix - 243.692 views
    Anytime You Need A Friend from Top of The Pops - 209.334 views
    Anytime You Need A Friend from Mariah Carey (Live) - 2.007.770 views
    Anytime You Need A Friend Live at Tokyo Dome - 395.597 views

Songs listed in the ballot:
    Dreamlover
    Hero
    Anytime You Need a Friend
    Music Box
    Now That I Know
    Never Forget You
    Without You
    Just to Hold You Once Again
    I've Been Thinking About You
    All I've Ever Wanted
    Anytime You Need a Friend (C+C Remix)
    Anytime You Need a Friend (Soul Convention Remix)
    Dreamlover (Def Club Mix)
    Dreamlover Bam Jam Soul
    Dreamlover Theo's Club Joint
    Never Forget You Radio Edit
    Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Music Box album.

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    For people wishing to submit their ballots in parts (based on our Era focus), then they should submit these ratings for these songs:

Vision of Love
    There's Got to Be a Way
    I Don't Wanna Cry
    Someday
    Vanishing
    All In Your Mind
    Alone In Love
    You Need Me
    Sent from Up Above
    Prisoner
    Love Takes Time
    Someday 7" Jackswing
    Emotions
    And You Don't Remember
    Can't Let Go
    Make It Happen
    If It's Over
    You're So Cold
    So Blessed
    To Be Around You
    Till the End of Time
    The Wind
    Emotions 12" Club Mix
    Emotions (Special Motion Edit)
    Make It Happen (Dub Version)
    Make It Happen (Live At MSG)

Leave a comment:

• bm08
    replied
    I think the Emotions album is criminally underrated. IMO, it is her most soulful record.

Leave a comment:

• Leo
    replied
    It was early 92 and I was 12. My parents took us to a record store where me and my brothers could buy one CD each. I didn't have many CDs back then, I was mainly a Roxette fan and already had all their discography (3 albums lol). I also had The Inmaculate Collection and some Bon Jovi CDs, so would probably end up buying something from them to keep building my collection... but then I saw Emotions.

I never ever heard anything from Mariah before. But holding that CD, reading the names of the songs and that beautiful girl, I remember vividly thinking "I will like this" so i bought it. It was very different from what I was listening to at the moment. I was glad about my choice but to be honest, I would not play the album that much, as competition was fierce against Roxette that I was obsessed about.

Every now and then I would pick Emotions, give it a spin, but almost everytime I would stop in the middle and switch to a Roxette album. So For me Emotions was only a 5 song LP lol. I really don't remember giving a try to any song after If It's Over! Fortunately, my obsessio with Roxette waved, but unfortunately my growing obsession with Madonna was even stornger! So I would still have it there with few spins. I think I really gave it a chance once I became a lamb in the Butterfly era. That's when I really revisited her discography and discovered a powerful album.

Can't Let Go is, and forever will be, one of her peaks imo. The MTV Unplugged version is sublime. Make It Happen too, I love that and cannot believe it "only"peaked at #5.

I don't like You're so Cold, although it's not as bad as Prisoner/You Need Me lol. And The Wind, although I always try to give it more chances, does not click with me.

Leave a comment:

• Tomer_MC
    replied
    It's funny to think that Mariah wrote and produced Emotions (album) when she was just 21-22 y/o. shocking actually.
    I love this album very deeply. I think it stands out a lot thanks to it's "older" sound and the overall dramatic feel & vocals.
    Can't Let Go is really the highlight for me. one of a kind song, very special.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Emotions the album... I was still so much into the first album that I couldn't believe there was another album on the way already! But I loved Emotions (the single) and was really curious if she could come up with another great album.

Emotions the single was right up my alley. Up-tempo, the whistle notes, uplifting lyrics... loved everything about it. Then one day when I was watching TV, they played the remix and I was in total shock. The new intro was so out of this world, I just had to have this and went to every CD-shop to find the cd-single, which was not that easy to find as most shops only had the first cd-single that didn't contain remixes. The Emotions remixes are still among my favorite remixes ever by any artist.

And You Don't Remember: I love the little clip they made for Mini-Disc. I wonder if there is a longer clip somewhere catching dust on a shelf.

Can't Let Go: My sister hated how I overplayed the debut album and although she liked Mariah at first too, she didn't want to hear any Mariah anymore. So when the Emotions album had just been released, she didn't want to listen to it. But at dance class they played Can't Let Go and my sister came up to me and said: "Now this is a beautiful song!" And I was like: "Guess who's singing this?"

To Be Around You was the b-side to Can't Let Go and radio made a jingle from the "more and more and more" part. It was really great to hear it all the time on the radio, even though it was just a few seconds. I also love the acapella version on the Unplugged VHS.

Make It Happen: Great song, but even better in the MSG live version where she first added the "don't let go, don't ever ever let go" part. I also love the Dub Version where she sings the first part acapella and then goes into "You can make it, you can make it" which was later used for the Jenny Craig commercial.

If It's Over: Tapesty is one of my all time favorite albums, so when I heard Mariah worked with Carole King, I was more than thrilled. I read how Carole wanted Mariah to cover You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman, but that Mariah refused and wanted to write something new. Glad they did as If It's Over is one of the highlights on the album.

You're So Cold: My favorite song when I first bought the album. I love the intro. Best intro ever! And I love the high note in the bridge. To me it was like Someday part 2, but even better. Not surprised this was considered to be the first single. Bit sad it never made it to single at all in the end.

Till The End of Time: Such a beautiful song. Like it's from some romantic epic movie, playing in the background with great scenery of mountains and other beautiful views.

The Wind: Although my least favorite song of the album, it's great how she adapted this jazzy instrumental into a Mariah song. It showed her versatility early on in her career.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X