No announcement yet.

The Mariah Carey Discography Rate - Album Averages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kinda realize that James/Tanaka thing was inspired by IT's Like That + We Belong Together video...
    CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
    FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• Glitter and Charmbracelet could not kill my love for Mariah, but my increasing interest in other music stules and artists gain territory. But then Mimi was starting to build fuzz, and the first sign was the "leak" of Say Somethin' and To The Floor. I have to admit I found them, and it was mindblowing... it did not sound as anything I herad from her before. I was addicted to those sounds and all the hype that was slowly been build around her comeback. The Return of the Voice... the summaries of listening partis anticipating thsis was going to be THE album... the name Emancipation of Mimi that multiplied interest around the project....

And then It's Like That happened... it was such a fresh and impressive first single imo. After Loverboy and Through The Rain, this sounded like the perfect introduction and choice. I could not stop listening to it, on repeat, as I waited for the whole project to arrive. I got it first not as I should have, but at that point, argentina would release the album with some delay so i just could not wait. I LOVED the album, but WBT was instant love. It was PERFECT. 3 mins and some, the song ends and you NEED more so you replay it, and it was a vicious circle... Shake it off, Stay the night, fly like a bird, get your number, and I wish you knew, which was like a BIG fav of mine although in time my obsession reduced. And one and only which was FIRE.

The ultra platinum edition added little but great. Oh, what an era to be a lamb. Seeing her rise, seeing her enjoying every moment, shining. Getting all the grammy love with 8 noms... I felt too bad for the grammys when they snubbed her like that... no award in the live telecast, no Song or Record of the Year for WBT... I wouldn't mind U2 taking Album of the Year but Song was just a slap in the face to an artist that deserved recognition (and already late imo) ad who went and gave a standing ovation performance. I have to agree that since that day I lost all respect for Grammys, and I am kinda glad she seems not affected by them.

Comment

• With The Emancipation of Mimi it was the first time I heard leaks before I bought the album: To The Floor and Say Somethin'... I didn't like them at all. When the album was released and I heard the Japanese edition would have bonus tracks, I decided to order this edition even though it meant I had to wait a little longer. Since Unplugged in 1992, I had always bought Mariah's album on the day of release, but I just had to have all the songs and ordering it from Japan, meant I had to wait. My friend (who joined me at concerts) recorded the album on tape, so I could listen to the songs in the meantime on cassette. She added With You I'm Born Again, which became my favorite song those first weeks, followed by Fly Like A Bird.

Of course the album grew on me and I have several favorite songs these days:

We Belong Together: I LOVE the video and the song went to #2 here. It became one of my all time favorite Mariah songs. LOVE it.

Mine Again: Such a beautiful ballad. Sounds very old school soul to me. Her belting is out of this world. The whole sound is so classic soul, I LOVE it. When it entered the R&B chart in the US without being released as a single, I was hoping it would be her next single. Then when it was nominated for a Grammy, I was hoping again for it to be released as a single. It never happened, but it's still a favorite of mine.

Say Somethin': Although I never really liked the song, I LOVE the dance remixes. In fact, it's one of my favorite re-sung remix she's done.

Stay The Night; It's a bit 'noisy', so it took me a while to get to like the song. But once I did, it's been an album favorite ever since. Love the long notes and the ad libs at the end.

Get Your Number: The sample made me love this song early on. And although I'm not too big a fan of hearing JD, he's doing a fun job here. This song always makes me smile. It was a Top 10 hit here.

Circles: Great story telling here. I just picture everything she sings about, when I listen to this song. Could have had a great video. Been my favorite song of the album for a while. Still love it loads.

Your Girl: Such a fun album track. Never get bored of it.

I Wish You Knew: Very Diana Ross. Love the live feel in the middle of the song. Great album track.

Fly Like A Bird: I love a good gospel song. Although it was the first song on the album I really loved, I have to be in the mood to turn to this song. A perfect album closer.

We Belong Together remix: Best bonus on the platinum edition. When I still played Mini-Discs, I stuck the intro of this remix to the album version. As I played it a lot for a long time, the intro of this remix was still stuck to the album version in my mind when I didn't listen to my Mini-Discs anymore.

My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Sent my votes to both bm08 and Leo!
          http://oi42.tinypic.com/2m3lnpv.jpg

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair

www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• I rated 3 songs with 11, and my lowest scored song had a 3.
            http://oi42.tinypic.com/2m3lnpv.jpg

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair

www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• The Emancipation of Mimi: return of the voice. That was the tag line, The Return of the Voice. What a wonderful era to be a lamb. Anticipation was building for the new album, Say Something leaked early and I remember thinking it was just ok (although I appreciate it more now). Then It’s Like That came along and after seeing the video, I knew something special was upon us. It was a different Mariah than the Charmbracelet days, she seemed more confident and the chest voice was back with whispering to a minimum.
              ILT was a top 10 hit in the UK and top 20 in the US.
              THEN came WBT and my world stopped for a moment. A ballad with a beat which sounded so good and refreshing. Her voice, tone and background vocals were superb. No.1 for 14 weeks in the US felt like justice after the stormy preceding years. Infuriatingly it missed out on no.1 in the UK by about 300 units.
              I remember the first time I listened to TEOM, it was on CD and I had a good set of speakers. The whole way through listening to it, I just say with my mouth open. I was surprised by the beat and I loved it. This wasn’t 90s Mariah, it was a new and updated version, the ballads were there but they were different. Standout tracks for me, ILT, WBT and FLAB.
              So many highlights from the era, LIVE 8 was amazing but also, seeing two of her albums (GH and TEOM) in the top 10 in the UK was a wonderful thing. I was 24 when TEOM was released and I remember chatting to my young nieces at that time and they told me they loved the new Mariah album, I was very proud, suddenly it was ‘cool’ to like Mariah again.
              She was embraced again and the critics called it one of the greatest comebacks and it certainly felt like that.
              After all the scoring, TEOM is tied 7th on my album list.
              ...as I close my eyes, steady my feet on the ground.....

Comment

• Leo and bm08 I'll be voting (I really want to)... hopefully tomorrow my time when I have a moment. When does this close like London or NY time? Or Sydney time lol ?
                MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
                  Leo and bm08 I'll be voting (I really want to)... hopefully tomorrow my time when I have a moment. When does this close like London or NY time? Or Sydney time lol ?
                  We may add a bit extra time. Dont worry!
                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

We may add a bit extra time. Dont worry!
                    That would be great. I'd like to re-think my votes as it's been a few weeks and I may have a change of heart.

Comment

• Voted.

Was exhausting, too many remixes.

Comment

• Album Title: E=MC2
                        Release Date: April 15th 2008 by Island

General Info: Mariah began recording the album in 2007 in Anguilla, after writing and composing most of its material during and after her 2006 Adventures of Mimi Tour. Carey worked with various songwriters and producers on the project, including Jermaine Dupri, Bryan-Michael Cox, Stargate, The-Dream, Tricky Stewart, Scott Storch and Danja.
                        The album revealed a more personal side of the singer, illustrated in its declarative theme of emancipation from her previous marriage, and from her personal and professional setbacks. It was meant to be a continuation, or a second part of her tenth studio album, The Emancipation of Mimi (2005). Although it shared similar vocal production as well as an inclination to her signature pop and R&B ballads, the album also encompassed a variety of dance-oriented and uptempo styles. Carey collaborated with a number of artists on the album, including T-Pain, Damian Marley and Young Jeezy. Though considered by critics very similar to the formula its predecessor had been built on, E=MC² included other genres she had never explored, such as reggae, and her continued recording of gospel-influenced hymns.
                        Mariah described E=MC² as one of her most expressive albums, and one that she felt free on, and able to express herself through her music. In an interview with The Bryan Times, she spoke of her sentiments on the album "It's hard for me to sit here and talk about it without sounding like if I'm bragging if I'm in love with it, but I am I love with this album. I think that having the success with the last record allowed me to have more freedom...and just make records that I like. It's kind of a really fun record".

Reviews: E=MC² was generally well received by music critics, with many complimenting the record's broad genre influences, and musical and production styles. Some critics, however, felt that the album was too similar to The Emancipation of Mimi, and didn't offer anything new from the formula.

Commercial performance: The album debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 with opening week sales of 463,000 copies; the highest first-week sales of Carey's career. It also debuted at number one in Canada and opened inside the top-five in Australia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Worldwide, the album has sold over 2.5 million copies.

Singles: The album's lead single, "Touch My Body", became Carey's eighteenth chart-topper on the Billboard Hot 100, making her the solo artist with the most number one singles in United States history, surpassing the record held by Elvis Presley. Additionally, it gave Carey her 79th week atop the chart, tying Presley for most weeks at number one.

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
                        Touch My body 1 5 17 2 16 7
                        Migrate 92 - - - - -
                        Bye Bye 19 30 53 34 - 70
                        I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time 58 84 - 69 - -
                        I Stay In Love - 95 - - - -

Accolades: -.

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 18th 2021

Touch My Body Official Video - 199.217.331 views
                        Bye Bye Official Video - 98.862.554 views
                        I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time Official Video feat. T.I. - 17.552.287 views
                        I Stay In Love Official Video - 34.787.551 views
                        Love Story Official Video - 10.443.391 views

Songs listed in the ballot:

Migrate (ft. T-Pain)
                        Touch My Body
                        Cruise Control (ft. Damian Marley)
                        I Stay In Love
                        Side Effects (ft. Young Jeezy)
                        I'm That Chick
                        Love Story
                        I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time
                        Last Kiss
                        Thanx 4 Nothin'
                        O.O.C.
                        For the Record
                        Bye Bye
                        I Wish You Well
                        Heat
                        4real4real (ft. Da Brat)
                        Bye Bye So So Def Remix (feat. Jay-Z)
                        Touch My Body Remix (ft. The Dream)

Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Einstein album.

Comment

• ByeBye with almost 100M views is surprising.

After the masive era that Emancipation was, Touch My Body was PERFECT. It was fresh, fun, catchy. It was one of my most played tracks for a very long time. Whe the album dropped I really loved it, it was very solid form start to finish, and the CD was the only thing I would listen to in my car. I moved with my wife during those days and she loved the album, specially For The Record, so it was on heavy rotation all the time everywhere.

I do feel the album grew a little old in time, and today I go back to some songs (IBLYLT is my fav) but not the whole thing, in comparisson to earlier work or even Emancipation.

Comment

• Einstein started off so promising but it derailed so quickly.

They were really, really expecting Bye Bye to be the second coming of GOAT. Down to the climax and everything.
                            Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Leo and I have added some more days for the voting. So the new (and absolute!) deadline is Wednesday 24th March 2021.

Comment

• Where do I vote?
                                I can't even know what to say...

Comment

• Originally posted by Milano View Post
                                  Where do I vote?
                                  You can send a PM to Leo and myself.

The ballot with all the songs is on the front page.

Comment

• Album Title: Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
                                    Release Date: September 29th 2009 by Island

General Info: After promotion for her previous album, E=MC² (2008) ended, Carey began to work on a new album, producing songs with Terius "The-Dream" Nash and Christopher "Tricky" Stewart, and revealed the album's title through Twitter. Carey said that Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel would have "big ballads", and that "each song is its own snapshot of a moment in a story". In early 2009, singer and songwriter The-Dream stated that he and Carey had already begun working on her next studio album: "I think it's about just writing an album that includes the focus of all the hits that she's had. She can't take a loss; she has to do everything to the T. So it's basically like we're trying to make a greatest hits album without using the greatest hits".
                                    During an interview with music retailer Amazon.com, Carey revealed her inspiration and motivation for the album. "Each song tells its own story. Each one is like an intimate conversation or entry in a private diary. A lot of the songs reflect specific, different times in my life, actual events that happened to me, some of which are from way back in the past. Others were inspired by movies or from a friend of mine that may have told me their story. People can listen to it and pick out certain songs that mean something to them – women especially. It's about women's empowerment and overcoming certain things. It's fun too though. It's got a little bit of something for everybody".

Reviews: Upon its release, Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel received positive reviews from music critics. They felt that "their team-up with Carey is canny; Stewart and Nash loosen up the diva's sometimes overblown on-record persona", and also "one of her most sonically consistent". AllMusic gave the album three and a half stars (out of five) and called it "her most interesting album in a decade", commenting that "Even if it doesn't smack of the confessional autobiography of the title, there's no denying that Memoirs is an album, not a collection of tracks, possessing its own flow and mood, which gives it a personality the slightly desperate E=MC2 lacked" though "it never manages to kick out a song that is all that distinctive on its own terms".

Commercial performance: Commercially, the album debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 with 168,000 copies sold in its first week, and peaked within the top-ten in other five countries.

Singles:

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
                                    Obsessed 7 52 13 15 8 -
                                    I Want To Know What Love Is 60 19 45 57 6 37
                                    H.A.T.E.U. - - - - - -
                                    Up Out My Face (feat. Nicki Minaj) 100 - - - - -
                                    Angels Cry (feat. Ne-Yo) - 81 - - - -

Accolades: It was nominated as Outstanding Album for the NAACP Image awards.

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 20th 2021

Obsessed Official Video - 159.529.575 views
                                    Obsessed Remix Official Video feat. Gucci Mane - 17.075.993 views
                                    I Want To Know What Love Is Official Video - 165.533.415 views
                                    H.A.T.E.U. Official Video - 16.936.677 views
                                    Up Out My Face Official Video feat. Nicki Minaj - 62.429.262 views
                                    Angels Cry Official Video feat. Ne-Yo - 148.207.735 views

Betcha Gon' Know (The Prologue)
                                    Obsessed
                                    H.A.T.E.U.
                                    Candy Bling
                                    Ribbon
                                    Inseparable
                                    Standing O
                                    It's a Wrap
                                    Up Out My Face
                                    More Than Just Friends
                                    The Impossible
                                    The Impossible (The Reprise)
                                    Angel (The Prelude)
                                    Angels Cry
                                    Languishing (The Interlude)
                                    I Want To Know What Love Is
                                    Angels Cry (ft. Ne-Yo)
                                    H.A.T.E.U. (ft. OJ Da Juiceman, Big Boi & Gucci Mane)
                                    Up Out My Face (ft. Nicki Minaj)
                                    Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Memoirs album.

Comment

• The era started with the right foot imo, as Obsessed was a fun and catchy track, with a clever video, and a The-Dream produced album seemed a great move considering he was kind of the hottest producer around those days. I was not IN LOVE with Obseesed as with some previous tracks, but I enjoyed it and gave it a lot of spins as I awaited for the whole project to drop.

And then it dropped... and I liked it, but was not conquered by it to be honest. What felt like a gret move to have a whole album with The-Dream, proved to beits main problem to me. It was kind of monotonous. So even when each track was good, I could not go through the whole project all at once.

I LOVe I Want To Know..., she delivers a powerful performance imo, and the final climax is amazing. The video was wierd, underwhelming, but as I moved on and went back to it later on I think its kinda cute and fits the song spirit. I was surprise anyway to find it's even higher that Obsessed, but I think brazilians are behind that achievement. Anyway, I think the #60 rank is unfair. it's amongst her best covers imo.

HATEU u was great but that video is really bad. But then UOMF and Angels came and I loved both versions and I was anticipating Angels Advocate but kinda understood the best move was to forget about it and move on. The two tracks released in Elusive proved the project was not going to be mindblowing to be honest...

Comment

• Album Title: Merry Christmas II You
                                        Release Date: November 2nd 2010 by Island Def Jam

General Info: Recording began in April 2010 and continued while Carey became pregnant. She was the executive producer of Merry Christmas II You and worked with various record producers, including Bryan-Michael Cox, Jermaine Dupri, Randy Jackson, James Poyser, Marc Shaiman, James "Big Jim" Wright and Johnny "Sev" Severin of RedOne. The album features Carey's mother Patricia Carey as a guest vocalist on "O Come All Ye Faithful" / "Hallelujah Chorus". The album serves as a sequel to her fourth studio album Merry Christmas (1994). It is composed of original songs and covers, ballads and uptempo tracks, incorporating R&B, soul and house music in its composition.

Reviews: The album received mixed reviews from music critics, who complimented its relaxed yet lively and contemporary feel, while others felt it was predictable and too overproduced in places.

Commercial performance: It debuted at number four on the US Billboard 200 chart, and reached number one on both the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and Top Holiday Albums charts. It was later certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), denoting shipments exceeding 500,000 copies. Elsewhere, however, the album was a moderate success, reaching the top-ten in South Korea and Taiwan; the top-twenty in Canada and Hong Kong; the top-thirty in Australia, Hungary and Japan; and the top-forty in Sweden. It missed out on the top 100 in the United Kingdom by one position, peaking at number 101 on the albums chart.

Singles:

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
                                        Oh Santa! 100 - - 73 - -
                                        When Christmas Comes feat. John Legend - - - - - -
                                        Auld Lang Syne (The New Year's Anthem) - - - - - -
                                        Christmas Time Is in the Air Again - - - - - -

Accolades: -

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 21st 2021

Oh Santa! Official Video - 17.988.846 views
                                        O Come All Ye Faithful/Hallelujah Chorus feat. Patricia Carey - 4.706.439 views
                                        Auld Lang Syne Official Video - 7.899.757 views
                                        When Christmas Comes Official Video with John Legend - 8.016.890 views
                                        Christmas Time Is In The Air Tonight Officila Lyrics Video - 1.407.510 views
                                        Charlie Brown Christmas Video - 698.077 views

Oh Santa!
                                        O Little Town of Bethlehem / Little Drummer Boy (Medley)
                                        Christmas Time Is In the Air Again
                                        The First Noel / Born Is the King (Interlude)
                                        When Christmas Comes
                                        Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane) / Housetop Celebration
                                        Charlie Brown Christmas
                                        O Come All Ye Faithful / Hallelujah Chorus (ft. Patricia Carey)
                                        O Holy Night (Live from WPC in South Central Los Angeles)
                                        One Child
                                        All I Want for Christmas Is You (Extra Festive)
                                        Auld Lang Syne (The New Year's Anthem)
                                        When Christmas Comes (with John Legend)
                                        Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Christmas 2 album.

Comment

• Just cast my ballot. Hope my fave songs do well!
                                          Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Stay (not the Rihanna one)

Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Oh dear goodness... that was not an easy exercise.

I didn't rate all the songs... and by the end I just had to make sharp decisions. I'm sure if I did this again I'd get totally different scores.
                                            But it's just for fun...

Also, I think I got very different estimations for my fave albums doing it this way.
                                            MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Album Title: Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse
                                              Release Date: May 24th 2014 by Def Jam

General Info: The record had been in development since 2011; during its production, Mariah hired friend and collaborator Randy Jackson to manage her career, before replacing him with another frequent collaborator, Jermaine Dupri. The album consists of guest appearances from Nas, Miguel, Wale, and Fabolous, as well as gospel and R&B duo Mary Mary, in addition to Carey's twins Moroccan and Monroe.
                                              Previously titled The Art of Letting Go, the album was originally scheduled for release in 2012 following the single, "Triumphant (Get 'Em)" featuring Rick Ross and Meek Mill. However, after the song's underperformance, additional songs were recorded for the album, causing the release date to be pushed back several times throughout 2013 and again in 2014. Together with Bryan Michael Cox, Carey and Dupri executively produced the album. It is named after a self-portrait that Carey drew at the age of three-years old that she captioned "Me. I Am Mariah". "The Elusive Chanteuse" part of the title is one of Carey's many monikers.
                                              Consisting of fifteen songs and four deluxe songs Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse is an R&B album with a diverse musical style that incorporates hip hop, hip hop soul, soul and elements of disco and gospel. Mike Wass of Idolator described the album as being a concept album that journeys through the eras of R&B, from Motown to the '90s, disco and early hip-hop.

Reviews: Upon release, the album received generally positive reviews. The review aggregator website Metacritic gives a weighted average rating to an album based upon the selected independent mainstream reviews it utilizes, and the album has a Metascore of a 67 out of 100 based on 15 reviews. Kenneth Partridge of Billboard rated the album a 77 out of 100, writing how Mariah has found her musical niche that her fans have come to expect that is a "mix of pop-classicist balladry and hip-hop-tinged summer jamming".

Commercial performance: In the United States, Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse debuted at number three on the Billboard 200 albums chart with sales of 58,000 copies. It is her 17th top-ten album in the US, but became her lowest opening for a non holiday studio album since Nielsen SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991. The album rapidly descended down the charts, and was present on the Billboard 200 for a total of eight weeks, becoming the album with the shortest chart run to that point. As of November 2018, the album has sold 127,000 copies in the United States.

Singles:

US UK AUS CAN FRA GER
                                              #Beautiful feat. Miguel 15 22 6 27 41 -
                                              You're Mine (Eternal) 88 87 - - 96 -
                                              You Don't Know What to Do feat. Wale - - - - - -
                                              The Art of Letting Go - 90 - - - -

Accolades: -

YouTube: Views belong to the official video as of March 22nd 2021

#Beautiful Official Video feat. Miguel - 56.696.809 views
                                              #Beautiful (Explicit) Official Video feat. Miguel - 13.792.632 views
                                              #Hermosa Official Video feat. Miguel - 230.203 views
                                              #Hermosa (Explicit) Official Video feat. Miguel - 1.504.586 views
                                              You're Mine (Eternal) Official Video - 11.531.546 views
                                              You're Mine (Eternal) Remix Official Video feat. Trey Songz - 4.991.735 views

Cry.
                                              Faded
                                              Dedicated (ft. Nas)
                                              #Beautiful (ft. Miguel)
                                              Thirsty
                                              Make It Look Good
                                              You're Mine (Eternal)
                                              You Don't Know What To Do (ft. Wale)
                                              Supernatural
                                              Meteorite
                                              Camouflage
                                              Money ($ * / ...) [ft. Fabolous]
                                              One More Try
                                              Heavenly (No More Ways Tired / Can't Give Up Now)
                                              It's a Wrap (ft. Mary J Blige)
                                              Betcha Gon Know (ft. R. Kelly)
                                              The Art of Letting Go
                                              #Beautiful (ft. Miguel & Jeezy) [Remix]
                                              You're Mine (Eternal) Remix (feat. Trey Songz)

Source: wikipedia Mariah Carey & Chanteuse album.

Comment

• #Beautiful was so good and fresh and cool that I felt really sad it "only" managed a #15 rank in the US. It started strong but then it felt like people let it go, and radio... All but Mariah to be honest. All the remixes and videos and stuff so late, and then the video shoot that ended up with her in the hospital...

With that introduction, I thought this was going to be gold... and it was! The title was bad. It's like she did not know what she wanted at that point in her life: this loooooonng era with beautiful and then two titles instead of 1: or Me I Am Mariah or Elusive Chanteuse..., and then TMEternal as second official single...

I loved The Art of Letting Go. Was not single material at all but I feel it was another fresh song from her, and increased my interest in the project. But then Eternal, although nice, was dissapointing. It was like WBT version 14 already, and she had Faded or You Dont Know or Thristy to come and smash but again went for the safe ballad that ended up killing he era early...

As a lamb though, after some time without new music, this was a great gift.

Comment

• Sent my new votes.

Comment

• Lots of votes came in yesterday. Last day to get them in!!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X