No announcement yet.

Grammys 2022: Nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good point. No, those 8 would not be considered prestigious. There used to be more categories that got cancelled because the number of submitted records didn't exceed the number of nominated records by much - rightfully so. Still, it doesn't take a genius to assume that Best Pop Vocal Album receives more submissions than let's say Best Spoken Word Album.
    Speaking of which, Barrack Obama received a nomination in that category ^^ .
    Pro: freedom of speech
    Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Why does this committee keep trying to make HER happen?
      -
      And Billie again - this voting is so lazy

Comment

• Mileys album is weak and very overrated on here. It has three or four decent songs. Justin made a great album and definitely deserves his slot.
        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• I'm fine with Billie because Happier Than Ever > WWAFAWDWG?

Comment

• Bieber only deserved nominations for Peaches. Every other nomination is a joke.

The number of singles and albums being released is increasing substantially, so having a few more slots makes sense to me.
            Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
              Why does this committee keep trying to make HER happen?
              -
              And Billie again - this voting is so lazy
              The Nomination Review Committees were removed this year. Those results come straight from popular vote. Basically, everybody claiming for years that H.E.R. always had so much support just because she was a committee pick have to face the truth at this point: she is that beloved among the Academy members lol She even got a nomination in the Christian Music Field.
              Beauty is beauty, whether is black or white

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautyisbeauty View Post

The Nomination Review Committees were removed this year. Those results come straight from popular vote. Basically, everybody claiming for years that H.E.R. always had so much support just because she was a committee pick have to face the truth at this point: she is that beloved among the Academy members lol She even got a nomination in the Christian Music Field.
                I was about to say.. there is no committee.

Comment

• I saw comments on article about H.E.R.

"I got 23 nominations at 24"

Comments:
                  Thank you daddy
                  Daddy did it
                  BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                  YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• Originally posted by Omiros View Post
                    - Kanye literally peed on them and he still gets recognition from them. And for an overblown mess that also awards Marilyn Manson and Dababy! What were they thinking?
                    The new CEO addressed this(since Louis CK and Dave Chappelle also got nominations):

The Recording Academy’s CEO responded to the controversial Grammy nominations Tuesday for artists like Marilyn Manson and Louis CK, who have been accused of sexual misconduct, saying the group does not “restrict” people who submit their work for nominations.

When asked by TheWrap about Manson’s nomination specifically, CEO Harvey Mason Jr. said the Recording Academy does not take into account personal history when determining eligibility for its awards. But he said that does not necessarily mean that they will be invited to the Grammys ceremony.

“We won’t restrict the people who can submit their material for consideration. We won’t look back at people’s history, we won’t look at their criminal record, we won’t look at anything other than the legality within our rules of, is this recording for this work eligible based on date and other criteria. If it is, they can submit for consideration,” Mason told TheWrap.

He continued: “What we will control is our stages, our shows, our events, our red carpets. We’ll take a look at anyone who is asking to be a part of that, asking to be in attendance, and we’ll make our decisions at that point. But we’re not going to be in the business of restricting people from submitting their work for our voters to decide on.”

Manson, whose real name is Brian Warner and has been accused of sexual assault and abuse (Manson has denied the accusations and called the claims “horrible distortions of reality”), was twice nominated this year for his contributions to Kanye West’s “DONDA,” which was nominated for Album of the Year and in Best Rap Song for West’s track “Jail.”

Manson was not the main songwriter submitted for consideration, but as part of the eligibility rules, he is considered a Grammy nominee. The nominations were his sixth in his career.

As for CK, the comedian’s album “Sincerely Louis CK” was nominated for Best Comedy Album alongside comedians like Kevin Hart, Chelsea Handler and Lewis Black. CK admitted in the height of the #MeToo movement to sexual misconduct, and the special was his first since the accusations.

Among some of the other eyebrow-raising nominees was Dave Chappelle, who has faced backlash for transphobic comments made in his recent Netflix stand-up special “The Closer.” He was nominated in the Best Spoken Word category alongside poet Amir Sulaiman for his work in “8:46,” and he’ll go up against Barack Obama, LeVar Burton and Don Cheadle in the category.

See more from Mason’s interview with TheWrap here, and see the full list of Grammy nominations here.

Source: https://www.thewrap.com/grammys-chie...oples-history/

Comment

• Chris Brown has nominations too. Abusing women has never been disqualifier for a Grammy award.
                      My music library: LAST.FM

Comment

• It’s not a disqualifier but it may tell you a bit about the voters.
                        See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Interesting information. The whole "10 slots" thing in the GF was a decision made just the day before the announcement. Per category, Kanye and Taylor were the ones added for AOTY, Lil Nas and Abba for ROTY, Doja and Brandi (with "Right on time") for SOTY and and Baby Keem and Arooj Aftab for BNA. So basically those have a very complicated path to a win (not that we didnīt know it about most of them lol).

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...ds-1235119614/

Comment

Interesting information. The whole "10 slots" thing in the GF was a decision made just the day before the announcement. Per category, Kanye and Taylor were the ones added for AOTY, Lil Nas and Abba for ROTY, Doja and Brandi (with "Right on time") for SOTY and and Baby Keem and Arooj Aftab for BNA. So basically those have a very complicated path to a win (not that we didnīt know it about most of them lol).

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...ds-1235119614/
                            Hmm...I must say that I feel uneasy about this.

In my opinion, these decisions should have been made before voting started and not right at the announcement.
                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I don't think there was a by foul play in that. They just added the next ones based on votes.

It makes more sense why Taylor isn't in the Pop field at least. I guess she didn't promote evermore since she released it in December as she's busy with the re-recordings.

Kanye though...anyway....
                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omiros View Post
                                It makes more sense why Taylor isn't in the Pop field at least.
                                ... or in the folk field.

Comment

• I'm actually quite happy with most of the nominations. No particular complain from me.

Except for Saweetie. What is she doing here? Also "Thot Shit" is a Grammy-nominated song? Come on now.

Comment

• Originally posted by aang View Post
                                    Except for Saweetie. What is she doing here?
                                    I'm biased when it comes to rap music, so how is she considered artistically compared to other nominated rap acts of the past two years (Lil Nas X, Meghan Thee Stallion, Chika, D Smoke, Doja Cat, Baby Keem, The Kid Laroi)?

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

I'm biased when it comes to rap music, so how is she considered artistically compared to other nominated rap acts of the past two years (Lil Nas X, Meghan Thee Stallion, Chika, D Smoke, Doja Cat, Baby Keem, The Kid Laroi)?
                                      The least talented & least interesting musically for sure. People on Twitter make fun of her all the time for her weak performing skills. She has a great team behind her though that's for sure.

Comment

• Talent and being musically interesting should be factors for all genre categories and in particular the main categories, so I follow your advice that the Grammys shouldn't pick her as winner. I don't see The Kid Laroi winning either.
                                        Regarding the rest: In some years, they go for the frontrunners; in others for the dark horse. Olivia Rodrigo is the biggest act out of the ten, but they don't always go for the obvious one. If they picked Finneas, it would be the first time, I guess, that siblings win the price. Arooj Aftab could be that season's Esparanza Spalding. Glass Animals remind me a bit of Fun. who won it back in 2013. Arlo Parks gives me Tracy Chaman vibes who won it back in 1989. Many possible choices...
                                        Last edited by theMathematician; Thu November 25, 2021, 16:46.

Comment

Regarding the rest: In some years, they go for the frontrunners; in others for the dark horse. Olivia Rodrigo is the biggest act out of the ten, but they don't always go for the obvious one.
                                          With an AOTY, SOTY and ROTY nomination, no BNA nominee has ever lost. Actually, with the exception of H.E.R (who wasnīt nominated for either Song or Record of the Year), I think every artist nominated for both AOTY and BNA awards has never lost the latter. Only Finneas is in the same position as Olivia Rodrigo due to Billieīs nominations.

Comment

• Wasn't Lizzo nominated in all top 4 categories and lost them all to Billie Eilish?
                                            Besides, Alanis Morissette once won AOTY but lost BNA.

Comment

Wasn't Lizzo nominated in all top 4 categories and lost them all to Billie Eilish?
                                              Besides, Alanis Morissette once won AOTY but lost BNA.
                                              Well, of course, Lizzo lost but Billie also had that BNA+SOTY+ROTY+AOTY combo. I forgot Alanis but still her year was pretty weird. It was the first with the committees in place after Bennettīs win and she was competing against Hootie and the Blowfish who were equally massive. Still, one in the last 25 years. Thatīs a huge stat to overcome and no other nominee is on Rodrigoīs level if we see it from an industry perspective.

Comment

• I don't think it's possible to find a logic in Grammy choices. There have been a few years when the commercially biggest act nominated for 'Best New Artist' ended up losing in favor of a less known act. I mean, we all remember Esparanza Spalding.

Thinking about logic and Grammy choices, it still bugs me that Taylor Swift won AOTY but lost Best Pop Vocal Album this year. It's like saying your favorite pizza is pizza with peperoni but your favorite overall dish is pizza with cheese.

Comment

I don't think it's possible to find a logic in Grammy choices. There have been a few years when the commercially biggest act nominated for 'Best New Artist' ended up losing in favor of a less known act. I mean, we all remember Esparanza Spalding.

Thinking about logic and Grammy choices, it still bugs me that Taylor Swift won AOTY but lost Best Pop Vocal Album this year. It's like saying your favorite pizza is pizza with peperoni but your favorite overall dish is pizza with cheese.
                                                  There's tons of logic in Grammy choices because in the end it's just different genre-driven blocks voting and they all have trends and patterns to vote. Both examples you use are easy to explain: about Esperanza's win, Bieber was a teen pop joke with no support outside of pop field, Drake was a black hip-hop artist so he was going to struggle (we are talking about the same people that vote for Macklemore over Kendrick Lamar lol) and Florence and Mumford & Sons were non US acts with barely any other nomination that, on top of that, were sharing a similar pool of voters. Esperanza was the easy choice to many.

About Folklore, it was the easiest namecheck: grammy darling, late breaker, surprise release, critical and commercial success. Now, pop voters didn't care for that type of album (as the Evermore snub showed this week) so her path to AOTY was easy: the committee blocked her main competition and she got support for other blocks outside of pop thanks to that (alternative, country, americana).

Comment

There's tons of logic in Grammy choices because in the end it's just different genre-driven blocks voting and they all have trends and patterns to vote. Both examples you use are easy to explain: about Esperanza's win, Bieber was a teen pop joke with no support outside of pop field, Drake was a black hip-hop artist so he was going to struggle (we are talking about the same people that vote for Macklemore over Kendrick Lamar lol) and Florence and Mumford & Sons were non US acts with barely any other nomination that, on top of that, were sharing a similar pool of voters. Esperanza was the easy choice to many.

About Folklore, it was the easiest namecheck: grammy darling, late breaker, surprise release, critical and commercial success. Now, pop voters didn't care for that type of album (as the Evermore snub showed this week) so her path to AOTY was easy: the committee blocked her main competition and she got support for other blocks outside of pop thanks to that (alternative, country, americana).
                                                    Exactly correct - the Grammys are not an award of "commercial success" and never claimed to be. Thats what the Billboard awards do.

Yeah i mean there is zero correlation between the Best pop vocal album and AOTY categories.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X