X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammys 2022: The Weeknd will still boycott due to "corruption"

AP: Grammys may cut nomination review committees
    https://apnews.com/article/nas-hip-h...e1ef08e04dd088

NEW YORK (AP) — The Grammy Awards are in discussion to remove its nomination review committees — groups that determine the contenders for key awards at the coveted music show.

A person familiar with the Recording Academy’s discussions, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to speak about the topic publicly, told The Associated Press that a number of proposals were submitted this year regarding the role of nomination review committees and whether it’s time to eliminate them.

For the Grammys’ top four awards — album, song and record of the year, along with best new artist — a nomination review committee of at least 20 music generalists in past years have selected the top eight nominees from those voted into the top 20.

If approved, the major change would happen just months after The Weeknd blasted the Grammys and its nomination review committees, calling them “corrupt” after he earned zero nominations for the 2021 show despite having the year’s biggest single with “Blinding Lights.”

While nominees for some categories like best pop vocal album and best pop solo performance are based purely on votes, a number of genre categories also have nomination review committees. Those include the rap, rock, R&B, country, dance/electronic music, American Roots, Latin, jazz and gospel/Christian music fields. Nomination review committees for those groups consist of 13 to 17 voting members who select five nominees from the top 15.

The majority of the 84 Grammy categories are voted by nomination review committees, which are intended to safeguard a specific genre’s integrity and to serve as additional checks and balances.

But questions have loomed for years around the nominations process with music industry players calling for more transparency because the selection of finalists happens behind closed doors. Others have claimed that members of key nominating committees promote projects they worked on or projects they favor based on personal relationships.

The academy’s board of trustees typically meet in the spring and new changes are announced soon after, which could include the removal of nomination review committees, the person told The AP. A representative for the academy didn’t immediately reply to an email seeking comment.

Last year the academy announced that musicians invited to participate in a nomination review committee would have to agree to the terms of a conflict of interest disclosure form and reveal if they would benefit from an artist’s nomination for that category, whether the ties are financial, familial or creative.

That seemed like a response to former Recording Academy CEO Deborah Dugan, who was fired only months into her job and days before the 2020 Grammys. Dugan had said the awards show was rigged and muddled with conflicts of interest.

Doubts about the Grammys voting process reached greater heights this year when The Weeknd — who topped the charts with “Blinding Lights” and “Heartless,” launched an uber-successful album with “After Hours” and even performed at the Super Bowl — was severely snubbed at this year’s show, held last month. The Grammys contrasted most of the other music awards shows, where The Weeknd was a key nominee (he earned 16 Billboard Music Award nominations Thursday), and he vowed to boycott the show.

Change has been a center of conversation at the Grammys for years. The organization has been criticized over the diversity in its top prizes rarely goes to rap and contemporary R&B stars, including heavyweights like Beyoncé, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, Drake, Jay-Z, Mariah Carey and John Legend. While those acts have won in the rap and R&B categories, when it comes to major prizes such as album, song and record of the year, the winners tend to be in the pop, rock, jazz or country genres. The organization has also been targeted for its lack of female winners in the top categories.

While there is some negativity linked to nomination review committees, some members prefer them so they can protect who is allowed to be part of a specific genre. For instance, the rap field at the Grammys added a nomination review committee three years after Macklemore & Ryan Lewis won three rap Grammys in 2014 over Kendrick Lamar, a decision that was heavily criticized by the music community and public, and even Macklemore himself. Because of the hip-hop duo’s success on the pop charts, some members involved in the Grammys nominee process decided to push their submissions to the pop field. But that decision was overturned, and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis were allowed to compete in rap, and ultimately won big.

Following the debacle, a nomination review committee was added to rap to prevent similar problems from occurring again. Fast forward four years to 2021, and the best rap album nominees were debated because the twentysomethings who are chart-topping and streaming juggernauts were not nominated, including Lil Baby, DaBaby, Megan Thee Stallion, Roddy Ricch, Pop Smoke and Juice WRLD. Instead, nominations went to rappers best known for their lyricism like Jay Electronica, Freddie Gibbs, D Smoke and Nas, who won the honor.

The 64th annual Grammy Awards will air live on January 31, 2022. Nominees will be announced later this year.
    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...my-1234964225/

New Categories Added

Two new categories have been added, bringing the total number of GRAMMY Award categories to 86:
    • Best Global Music Performance (Global Music Field)
    • Best Música Urbana Album (Latin Music Field)

Other changes:

APPROVED RULE AMENDMENTS INCLUDE:

Voting Process Changes
    • Elimination of Nominations Review Committees In General and Genre Fields

o Nominations in all of the Grammy Award general and genre fields will now be determined by a majority, peer-to-peer vote of voting members of the Recording Academy. Previously, many of the categories within these fields utilized 15-30 highly skilled music peers who represented and voted within their genre communities for the final selection of nominees. With this change, the results of Grammy nominations and winners are placed back in the hands of the entire voting membership body, giving further validation to the peer-recognized process. To further support this amendment, the Academy has confirmed that more than 90 percent of its members will have gone through the requalification process by the end of this year, ensuring that the voting body is actively engaged in music creation. Craft committees remain in place (see below for craft category realignment.)
    • Reduction In Number of Categories Voter May Vote

o To ensure music creators are voting in the categories in which they are most knowledgeable and qualified, the number of specific genre field categories in which Grammy Award Voters may vote has been reduced from 15 to 10. Additionally, those 10 categories must be within no more than three Fields. All voters are permitted to vote in the four General Field categories (Record Of The Year, Album Of The Year, Song Of The Year, and Best New Artist). Proposed by a special voting Task Force who brought forth the recommendation, this change serves as an additional safeguard against bloc voting and helps to uphold the Grammy Award as a celebration of excellence in music, with specific genre field categories being voted on by the most qualified peers.
    • Craft Category Realignment

o To better reflect the overlapping peer groups within the voter membership body, six existing craft fields will be consolidated into two fields: Presentation Field and Production Field. In either newly consolidated field, voters would have the ability to choose how many categories they feel qualified to vote in, respecting category vote limits, without being excessively limited by the three-field restriction. This benefits the integrity of these Awards by embracing and utilizing the specializations of the voters, without restricting their choice or contributions due to the field limits imposed by the recent reduction of the number of categories voters may vote in. Field updates are as follows:
    • Package Field, Notes Field and Historical Field renamed and consolidated to Presentation Field
    • Production, Non-Classical Field; Production, Immersive Audio Field; and Production, Classical Field renamed and consolidated to Production Field

Comment

Best Global Music Performance
      ???
      VOTE UKMIX PARADE CHOICE AWARDS

Comment

Great news!
        Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          Best Global Music Performance
          ???
          Yeah I was about to ask. The heck is this?

Comment

Global Music is "World Music"

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...al-1234821922/
            My music library: LAST.FM

Comment

I would still like to see more to be done to address transparency. I think it would be good to see the database of submissions (ie. ballots) and perhaps even more.

Statistics of voters vs. non-voters, demographic makeup, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                The established term is 'world music', so it would've been better to stick with that one instead.
                So there will be an award for the best album and the best single, won't they?

I don't see the point in another latin category. If I understood it correctly, there would be now:
                - Best Latin Pop Album
                - Best Latin Urban Album
                - Best Latin Rock or Alternative Album
                - Best Tropical Latin Album
                - Best Mexican Album

I know that latin music is diverse, but considering that the show is supposed to give an overview over all types of music, shouldn't it be enough to have one category for Best Latin Album? Country music has got a bigger tradition in the US, and there's just one category for country albums.

I would also cut the amount of categories for Americana roots albums:
                - Best Americana Album
                - Best Bluegrass Album
                - Best Contemporary Blues Album
                - Best Traditional Blues Album
                - Best Folk Album
                - Best Regional Roots Music Album

Maybe something like Best Contemporary Americana album and Best Traditional Americana album? Americana has got a long traditional in the US, but are there really that much new releases per year to justify that amount of categories?
                Pro: freedom of speech
                Contra: cancel culture

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

I don't see the point in another latin category. If I understood it correctly, there would be now:
                  - Best Latin Pop Album
                  - Best Latin Urban Album
                  - Best Latin Rock or Alternative Album
                  - Best Tropical Latin Album
                  - Best Mexican Album

I know that latin music is diverse, but considering that the show is supposed to give an overview over all types of music, shouldn't it be enough to have one category for Best Latin Album? Country music has got a bigger tradition in the US, and there's just one category for country albums.
                  Country is a genre itself. Latin music is not.
                  Also Latin Urban music has been awarded for years but it was just included on the other categories. Now it's literally the most dominating genre in Latin Music so it would be quite unfair to keep treating it as a second-rate genre.

Beauty is beauty, whether is black or white

Comment

Beautyisbeauty : OK, then it's probably contraproductive to combine it all among 'latin music'. Another suggestion: What would you think about including latin albums (at least in the context of pop, urban and rock or alternative elements - there's probably no useful way to add tropical latin and mexican sounding albums to another categoey) in the already existing pop, urband and rock or alternative categories?

Comment

Genre appreciation and highlight remains an issue here too though. I hope they take a look at the ceremony and what categories are announced when.

With 80+ categories, it is impossible for each award to be given equal weight, but they may want to think about how other award shows address this by having multiple shows.

The issue with the pre-show currently is that it isn't highlighted as important beyond stans online.

Comment

The Weeknd will still boycott Grammys, despite rule change after his award snub

"I remain uninterested in being a part of the Grammys, especially with their own admission of corruption for all these decades," the pop star said.

"The trust has been broken for so long between the Grammy organization and artists that it would be unwise to raise a victory flag," the Weeknd, real name Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, told Variety. He added that he will continue to withhold his music from consideration for the awards.

However, he does say that the move is "an important start."

"I think the industry and public alike need to see the transparent system truly at play for the win to be celebrated, but it's an important start," he continues. "I remain uninterested in being a part of the Grammys, especially with their own admission of corruption for all these decades. I will not be submitting in the future."

His manager, Wassim "Sal" Slaiby, added, "No change comes without a voice heard. I'm just proud of Abel for standing up for what he believes in. I was in a shock when all this happened but now I see it clearly, and I'm glad we stood for our beliefs."

While there was no stated "admission of corruption" from the Grammys in announcing the rule change, in an interview with Variety late Friday, interim Grammy chief Harvey Mason jr. said he had been working to eliminate the committees for months before the Weeknd snub.

Mason declined to speculate whether that situation may have influenced the final decision — which was made by a vote from 44 members of the Academy's board of trustees — but there is little question that it played a role.

"Any time an artist, especially one of that stature, calls our process into question or thinks something is unfair... the Academy is of course going to be affected by that, and want to work to make things better," Mason said.

Representatives for the Recording Academy did not immediately respond to Variety's requests for comment early Monday.

Full: https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...r-his-n1266149

Comment

He is STILL talking about this. Honestly just move on already.

Comment

He's insufferable, what a baby.
                            "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

It's quite annoying that the narrative has turned to him being a "martyr" of the Grammys considering how they treated Bey and Kendrick in the general field.

He just whined about it, and is still whining about it when so many of his peers went through the same thing.
                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

I mean, at least he’s standing on his principle.

But honestly, him standing alone doesnt have the same weight as others joining him in the stance. If him, Bey, Kendrick etc all band together, for example, then there will definitely be more progressive reform.

Comment

I don't fully see what's he is about here... why corruption? General fields are voted by all, aren't they?

Awards will never be fair, and imo Weeknd not being nominated is Grammy's problem, Sooo many songs and albums losing, or not even get nominated, only showcase how limited the Grammys are. I just completed a Grammys Survivor and it was shocking the songs winning in 60s, 70s and 80s specially in comparisson to the amount of gems there are in those decades!

I mean: the beatles only won 1 Song of the Year for... Michelle. and then we could write down sooooo many crazyness.
                                  VOTE UKMIX PARADE CHOICE AWARDS

Comment

Thing is with him not being nominated he is effectively saying artists in those fields should be there and honestly what gives him the right, Blinding Lights was huge hit but the song itself was nothing new or innovative, he's too high and mighty and all this just comes across as I'm better than everyone and should have been praised.

Abel not putting his music forward isn't going to hurt the Grammys at all so why even bothering saying it over and over.

Comment

The thing that I find very hollow about the whole thing is that if he had been nominated and won, he would have happily gone there and accepted the awards and would not have given a damn about this supposed "corruption" Of course this is the same with everyone who complained about the Grammys over the years. It is only a problem when you dont win.

The only artist I respect really on this is Frank Ocean. He handled it in a classy way, said he was not going to submit anymore and didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                        The thing that I find very hollow about the whole thing is that if he had been nominated and won, he would have happily gone there and accepted the awards and would not have given a damn about this supposed "corruption" Of course this is the same with everyone who complained about the Grammys over the years. It is only a problem when you dont win.

The only artist I respect really on this is Frank Ocean. He handled it in a classy way, said he was not going to submit anymore and didn't.
                                        At the very least, The Weeknd is keeping pressure on the organisation to do something/more. But him or Frank standing alone in this won’t be enough.

Artists and fans complain for years about some of these issues with the Grammys - some addressed now with the changes above. So you could say these outbursts are at least getting some response.

Comment

Let's hope white artists keep on winning the major categories so that huge acts like Bee, Rihanna, Kendrick will boycott them in the future. But that'll never happen of course.
                                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

I may be in the minority, don't know, but I don't think 'Blinding Lights' deserved a Grammy. There were better pop songs that year, and productionwise, I don't see it being innovative enough for 'Record of the Year', and going by songwriting, I don't see the lyrics notable enough for 'Song of the Year'.
                                            It's good to be self-confident, but he's got a Kanye West-like ego here and that's not all that healthy.

Comment

Working...
                                            X