FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

Great news!
        Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          Best Global Music Performance
          ???
          Yeah I was about to ask. The heck is this?

Comment

Global Music is "World Music"

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...al-1234821922/
            My music library: LAST.FM

Comment

I would still like to see more to be done to address transparency. I think it would be good to see the database of submissions (ie. ballots) and perhaps even more.

Statistics of voters vs. non-voters, demographic makeup, etc.
              See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                The established term is 'world music', so it would've been better to stick with that one instead.
                So there will be an award for the best album and the best single, won't they?

I don't see the point in another latin category. If I understood it correctly, there would be now:
                - Best Latin Pop Album
                - Best Latin Urban Album
                - Best Latin Rock or Alternative Album
                - Best Tropical Latin Album
                - Best Mexican Album

I know that latin music is diverse, but considering that the show is supposed to give an overview over all types of music, shouldn't it be enough to have one category for Best Latin Album? Country music has got a bigger tradition in the US, and there's just one category for country albums.

I would also cut the amount of categories for Americana roots albums:
                - Best Americana Album
                - Best Bluegrass Album
                - Best Contemporary Blues Album
                - Best Traditional Blues Album
                - Best Folk Album
                - Best Regional Roots Music Album

Maybe something like Best Contemporary Americana album and Best Traditional Americana album? Americana has got a long traditional in the US, but are there really that much new releases per year to justify that amount of categories?
                Pro: freedom of speech
                Contra: cancel culture

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

I don't see the point in another latin category. If I understood it correctly, there would be now:
                  - Best Latin Pop Album
                  - Best Latin Urban Album
                  - Best Latin Rock or Alternative Album
                  - Best Tropical Latin Album
                  - Best Mexican Album

I know that latin music is diverse, but considering that the show is supposed to give an overview over all types of music, shouldn't it be enough to have one category for Best Latin Album? Country music has got a bigger tradition in the US, and there's just one category for country albums.
                  Country is a genre itself. Latin music is not.
                  Also Latin Urban music has been awarded for years but it was just included on the other categories. Now it's literally the most dominating genre in Latin Music so it would be quite unfair to keep treating it as a second-rate genre.

Beauty is beauty, whether is black or white

Comment

Beautyisbeauty : OK, then it's probably contraproductive to combine it all among 'latin music'. Another suggestion: What would you think about including latin albums (at least in the context of pop, urban and rock or alternative elements - there's probably no useful way to add tropical latin and mexican sounding albums to another categoey) in the already existing pop, urband and rock or alternative categories?

Comment

Genre appreciation and highlight remains an issue here too though. I hope they take a look at the ceremony and what categories are announced when.

With 80+ categories, it is impossible for each award to be given equal weight, but they may want to think about how other award shows address this by having multiple shows.

The issue with the pre-show currently is that it isn't highlighted as important beyond stans online.

Comment

The Weeknd will still boycott Grammys, despite rule change after his award snub

"I remain uninterested in being a part of the Grammys, especially with their own admission of corruption for all these decades," the pop star said.

"The trust has been broken for so long between the Grammy organization and artists that it would be unwise to raise a victory flag," the Weeknd, real name Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, told Variety. He added that he will continue to withhold his music from consideration for the awards.

However, he does say that the move is "an important start."

"I think the industry and public alike need to see the transparent system truly at play for the win to be celebrated, but it's an important start," he continues. "I remain uninterested in being a part of the Grammys, especially with their own admission of corruption for all these decades. I will not be submitting in the future."

His manager, Wassim "Sal" Slaiby, added, "No change comes without a voice heard. I'm just proud of Abel for standing up for what he believes in. I was in a shock when all this happened but now I see it clearly, and I'm glad we stood for our beliefs."

While there was no stated "admission of corruption" from the Grammys in announcing the rule change, in an interview with Variety late Friday, interim Grammy chief Harvey Mason jr. said he had been working to eliminate the committees for months before the Weeknd snub.

Mason declined to speculate whether that situation may have influenced the final decision — which was made by a vote from 44 members of the Academy's board of trustees — but there is little question that it played a role.

"Any time an artist, especially one of that stature, calls our process into question or thinks something is unfair... the Academy is of course going to be affected by that, and want to work to make things better," Mason said.

Representatives for the Recording Academy did not immediately respond to Variety's requests for comment early Monday.

Full: https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...r-his-n1266149

Comment

He is STILL talking about this. Honestly just move on already.
                          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

He's insufferable, what a baby.
                            "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

It's quite annoying that the narrative has turned to him being a "martyr" of the Grammys considering how they treated Bey and Kendrick in the general field.

He just whined about it, and is still whining about it when so many of his peers went through the same thing.
                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

I mean, at least he’s standing on his principle.

But honestly, him standing alone doesnt have the same weight as others joining him in the stance. If him, Bey, Kendrick etc all band together, for example, then there will definitely be more progressive reform.

Comment

I don't fully see what's he is about here... why corruption? General fields are voted by all, aren't they?

Awards will never be fair, and imo Weeknd not being nominated is Grammy's problem, Sooo many songs and albums losing, or not even get nominated, only showcase how limited the Grammys are. I just completed a Grammys Survivor and it was shocking the songs winning in 60s, 70s and 80s specially in comparisson to the amount of gems there are in those decades!

I mean: the beatles only won 1 Song of the Year for... Michelle. and then we could write down sooooo many crazyness.
                                  CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                                  FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

Thing is with him not being nominated he is effectively saying artists in those fields should be there and honestly what gives him the right, Blinding Lights was huge hit but the song itself was nothing new or innovative, he's too high and mighty and all this just comes across as I'm better than everyone and should have been praised.

Abel not putting his music forward isn't going to hurt the Grammys at all so why even bothering saying it over and over.

Comment

The thing that I find very hollow about the whole thing is that if he had been nominated and won, he would have happily gone there and accepted the awards and would not have given a damn about this supposed "corruption" Of course this is the same with everyone who complained about the Grammys over the years. It is only a problem when you dont win.

The only artist I respect really on this is Frank Ocean. He handled it in a classy way, said he was not going to submit anymore and didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                        The thing that I find very hollow about the whole thing is that if he had been nominated and won, he would have happily gone there and accepted the awards and would not have given a damn about this supposed "corruption" Of course this is the same with everyone who complained about the Grammys over the years. It is only a problem when you dont win.

The only artist I respect really on this is Frank Ocean. He handled it in a classy way, said he was not going to submit anymore and didn't.
                                        At the very least, The Weeknd is keeping pressure on the organisation to do something/more. But him or Frank standing alone in this won’t be enough.

Artists and fans complain for years about some of these issues with the Grammys - some addressed now with the changes above. So you could say these outbursts are at least getting some response.

Comment

Let's hope white artists keep on winning the major categories so that huge acts like Bee, Rihanna, Kendrick will boycott them in the future. But that'll never happen of course.
                                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

I may be in the minority, don't know, but I don't think 'Blinding Lights' deserved a Grammy. There were better pop songs that year, and productionwise, I don't see it being innovative enough for 'Record of the Year', and going by songwriting, I don't see the lyrics notable enough for 'Song of the Year'.
                                            It's good to be self-confident, but he's got a Kanye West-like ego here and that's not all that healthy.

Comment

Recording Academy Officially Names Harvey Mason jr. as President/CEO
                                              https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...eo-1234972812/

Harvey Mason, jr. has been named the official president/CEO of the Recording Academy by the organization’s board of trustees, it announced on Thursday. Mason has been serving as the unpaid interim president/CEO since January of last year. He will relinquish his role as chair of the board of trustees, which he had held since 2019.

In a joint statement, search committee co-chairs John Burk and Leslie Ann Jones said: “We are delighted that Harvey will remain at the helm and continue to steer the organization through this pivotal time. As we journeyed deeper into our extensive search, it became clear that the best person for the job was Harvey. We are immensely impressed by the remarkable work he has done during his interim tenure and look forward to the continued evolution of the Academy under his effective, results-driven leadership.”

Full:
                                              https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...eo-1234972812/

Comment

More changes

This comes after Taylor added her boyfriend as a contributor to some Folklore tracks after she won so he can get an AOTY award
                                                Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

Originally posted by Ska8er View Post
                                                  More changes

This comes after Taylor added her boyfriend as a contributor to some Folklore tracks after she won so he can get an AOTY award
                                                  Well she didn't just add him. He plays piano and worked on the tracks he is credited on. In fact in her documentary she references a piece on the piano that he has written and he was playing it one day and she loved it and asked him if he could use it. Not like he changed a few words and had his name added.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X