Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Are - Jon Batiste
    Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga - Love for Sale
    Justin Bieber - Justice (Triple Chucks Deluxe)
    Doja Cat - Planet Her (Deluxe)
    Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
    H.E.R. - Back of My Mind
    Lil Nas X - Montero
    Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
    Taylor Swift - Evermore
    Kanye West - Donda

I will root for Tony/Gaga here, no doubt about it. I wouldn't be surprised they award HER or Billie though.
    CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
    FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
      Love for sale album of the year lol
      the Grammy's are such clowns confirmed.
      Why would they be clowns? They chose quality over quantity. You're just mad because artists you don't like were nominated.

Comment

It's obvious that it was orchestrated by her record company.

Lorde was Robbed. An album of jazz covers being included in Album of the year lol. A joke.
        Why would only her record label "orchestrate" this? All record labels campaign for their artists to be nominated. A jazz album on a list made of albums made for TikTok shows its good reception by award voters, also, Love For Sale is the best-selling jazz album since Cheek To Cheek, and one of the best-selling albums of the year in pure sales, all of that, plus the tribute to Bennett's long-lived career, ensured the album was nominated, deal with it.

Comment

• Rooting for Lil Nas X, so delighed he got his deserved nomination for AOTY, Bilie also

Two amazing bodies of work.
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• There are some choice AOTY noms. Justice is trash and Planet Her is not good enough to receive a nom.

Quite happy for Lil Nas X (and Taylor obvs)

Where is Yebba? It’s the actual AOTY (of those eligible)
            You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

Lorde was Robbed.
              Lorde had one of the most underwhelming albums this year along with Lana DR.
              You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• Originally posted by westhammer View Post

Lorde had one of the most underwhelming albums this year along with Lana DR.
                Lordes album was an incredible body of work.
                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Some questionable nominations as always, but to be fair, there are also lots of good ones.

I think it was expected to see Love For Sale getting several nominations, especially since it's Tony's final album and to be fair, it also is a good album all things considered. Justin, Doja Cat, Olivia, Lil Nas X, Billie... all obvious nominations and no surprises there.

Taylor's Evermore deserved even more nomination. I'm happy she's in the Album of the Year category and IMO she should win that one - but she already won too many of those so of course she won't win.

Shocked Kacey didn't get more, still think Star-crossed is better than Golden Hour.

Happy for Halsey.

Still feeling weird to see Brandi Carlile in the Pop category for Right On Time, but kinda makes her nominations even more impressive. As a big fan of her, I'm still mad she released her new album just one day after the submission deadline. What a stupid move from her or her team, as her nominations for Right On Time show that she would have been a huge contender AOTY as well.

Yes westhammer can't believe the YEBBA snub but Dawn is at least nominated for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical.

Comment

• I don't know Jon Batiste, but good for him!
                    A few obvious choices ended up getting nominated (Doja Cat, Billie Eilish, Lil Nas X), but I'm surprised that ABBA ended up getting a major field nomination as they have always been more Europe-centered. HER again getting the big nominations; the Grammys really love her - for whatever reason.
                    I hope Olivia Rodrigo won't grab all the trophies on her own as that would be pretty boring.
                    Last edited by theMathematician; Wed November 24, 2021, 10:30.
                    Pro: freedom of speech
                    Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• No one understands love for H.E.R. it seems, neither do I
                      BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                      YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• Originally posted by croatiaxtina View Post
                        No one understands love for H.E.R. it seems, neither do I
                        Neither do I. Same when it comes to Bieber and his random nominations. They also seem to love Billie Eilish. I am really surprises Kacey got only two nominations and Taylor one. Lana and Miley also deserved some love IMO. I'm happy for Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood, and Brandy Clark, though!
                        Haven't been early since '88

Comment

• Oh damn yeah, Lana is nowhere this time

Comment

• The Miley snub is huge considering that they had a lot of ads during the campaign season, so it definitely was in the face of voters
                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                              The Miley snub is huge considering that they had a lot of ads during the campaign season, so it definitely was in the face of voters
                              I would've loved to see her getting a nomination for Best Rock Album for 'Plastic Hearts' and Best Pop Solo Performance for 'Midnight Sky'.
                              Actually I would've loved to see 'Levitating' getting nominated as well: Record of the Year and one of the pop categories depending on whether they acknowledge the duet version or not.

I just noticed that each of the major categories lists 10 nominees now. Why? 8 was definitely enough. Now it completely strips the prestige out of getting nominated.
                              Last edited by theMathematician; Wed November 24, 2021, 11:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                I don't know Jon Batiste, but good for him!
                                A few obvious choices ended up getting nominated (Doja Cat, Billie Eilish, Lil Nas X), but I'm surprised that ABBA ended up getting a major field nomination as they have always been more Europe-centered. HER again getting the big nominations; the Grammys really love her - for whatever reason.
                                I hope Olivia Rodrigo won't grab all the trophies on her own as that would be pretty boring.
                                I had already said it and I still think so - Olivia is probably gonna sweep.
                                I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

I would've loved to see her getting a nomination for Best Rock Album for 'Plastic Hearts' and Best Pop Solo Performance for 'Midnight Sky'.
                                  Actually I would've loved to see 'Levitating' getting nominated as well: Record of the Year and in one of the pop categories depending on whether they acknowledge the duet version or not.

I just noticed that each of the major categories lists 10 nominees now. Why? 8 was definitely enough. Now it completely strips the prestige out of getting nominated.
                                  They said yesterday during the presentation that part of this was due the response of the # of entries.

I think it is timely given that many other award shows also expanded, such as the Oscars. It is now 10.

Comment

They said yesterday during the presentation that part of this was due the response of the # of entries.

I think it is timely given that many other award shows also expanded, such as the Oscars. It is now 10.
                                    Thanks! Only one song/album/person can win in a category, so it's legitimate to have a certain pre-selection for the nominations, and 5 for most categories and 8 for the major categories is totally enough. 10 already takes away the prestige from getting nominated.

Comment

• My initial thoughts on the nominations
                                      - It's great that they expanded the main caregories to 10 slots.
                                      - Surprised at evermore's shut-out from the Pop categories, especially considering folklore's success and the AOTY nom.
                                      - Bennet and Gaga's noms feel like a swan song for Bennet himself, but good for them I guess.
                                      - Very happy for Jazmine Sullivan and Lil Nas X. Also pleasantly surprised with Halsey's nom. It's a shame that they probably won't win anything.
                                      - I didn't expect all those noms for Jon Baptiste, but good on him.
                                      - I love Black Pumas, and even saw them live a few weeks ago, but they didn't deserve those nominations. It's rhe third year in a row that they've submitted variations of the same material, it's time to give a chance to someone else (e.g. Maneskin, who was invited to announce the nominations but were snubbed everywhere).
                                      - ABBA is so random as a ROTY. Not mad at it, but there were other songs that deserved the slot in my opinion.
                                      - Something needs to be done about H.E.R.. It's getting ridiculous at this point.
                                      - Scooter sure knows how to get votes.
                                      - Finneas getting a Best New Artist nomination whilst being the most awarded artist two years ago is funny.
                                      - YEBBA deserved to get something.
                                      - Kanye literally peed on them and he still gets recognition from them. And for an overblown mess that also awards Marilyn Manson and Dababy! What were they thinking?
                                      - Little Simz and Dave deserved to be in the Rap genres.
                                      - Tyler should have gotten an AOTY nomination, and I think Bo should have gotten one as well with the expansion to 10 slots.
                                      - Brandi Carlile's noms are a great indication for her next year.
                                      - Best Music Video is such a mess.
                                      - It's ironic that The Weeknd received three nominations this year, two of which are for AOTY, after what happened last year.
                                      Last edited by Omiros; Wed November 24, 2021, 12:40.
                                      Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Omiros : The Weeknd got nominated as part of collaborations, not due to his own solo works. There was no nomination for 'Save Your Tears' for example.
                                        I agree with you about HER and Maneskin should've received a Best New Artist nomination. Finneas received nominations as producer for Billie's material two years ago, this year (also) as singer for his own material - therefore the Best New Artist nomination is justified.

Comment

Omiros : The Weeknd got nominated as part of collaborations, not due to his own solo works. There was no nomination for 'Save Your Tears' for example.
                                          I know, he didn't submit anything this year. I just find it ironic. After Hours deserved to be recognised.

And I understand how Finneas is eligible, but he's been winning Grammys for two years so he's not really "new" in my opinion.
                                          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omiros View Post
                                            And I understand how Finneas is eligible, but he's been winning Grammys for two years so he's not really "new" in my opinion.
                                            He's not a new producer; that's correct. It's as if Max Martin hadreleased a solo album in 2021 after having primarily been a producer before. Always part of the music business in the widest sense, but a new role basically.

Comment

• I disagree that opening the main categories to 10 takes away the prestige. If anything, it allows more people to share in that prestige. Out of the thousands of albums released for consideration, to be in the top 10 is still quite a worthy honor. I doubt anyone nominated will moan about having two extra albums there.

Comment

• Shame Miley's album completely got snubbed. It's such a great record and she's had an amazing year.
                                                Can't believe Bieber's mediocre album got that many nominations.
                                                "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

I disagree that opening the main categories to 10 takes away the prestige. If anything, it allows more people to share in that prestige. Out of the thousands of albums released for consideration, to be in the top 10 is still quite a worthy honor. I doubt anyone nominated will moan about having two extra albums there.
                                                  Prestige always comes along with rarity, and something that is easier to achieve is simply less prestigious.
                                                  While it is true that 10 out of thousands is still a good achievement, we need to be honest here that most of those albums would never be considered a year's best anyway because they are too unknown or simply not considered good enough by a wider share of critics. We're basically talking about random numbers here, it could be 12, 15 or 20 as well. What would be the point where you would consider it 'too much'?

@Noahh: I don't get Bieber's presence either. The album was a solid chart success, but it wasn't massive. It received 62/100 on Metacritic. It hasn't set any artistic trend. Out of his 8 nominations, the only one I could see him winning is 'Best R&B Performance', but even there, he is battling with HER, who is a Grammy's favorite, and 'Leave The Door Open', another major category nominee.

Comment

Prestige always comes along with rarity, and something that is easier to achieve is simply less prestigious.
                                                    While it is true that 10 out of thousands is still a good achievement, we need to be honest here that most of those albums would never be considered a year's best anyway because they are too unknown or simply not considered good enough by a wider share of critics. We're basically talking about random numbers here, it could be 12, 15 or 20 as well. What would be the point where you would consider it 'too much'?
                                                    I would argue they should be proportionate to the number of entries submitted.

If only 8 albums are submitted, would all 8 being nominated still be considered prestigious?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X