X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theMathematician
    Legend
    • 31 May 2018

Originally posted by bm08

They said yesterday during the presentation that part of this was due the response of the # of entries.

I think it is timely given that many other award shows also expanded, such as the Oscars. It is now 10.
    Thanks! Only one song/album/person can win in a category, so it's legitimate to have a certain pre-selection for the nominations, and 5 for most categories and 8 for the major categories is totally enough. 10 already takes away the prestige from getting nominated.

Comment

• Omiros
      Legend
      • 05 Nov 2008

My initial thoughts on the nominations
      - It's great that they expanded the main caregories to 10 slots.
      - Surprised at evermore's shut-out from the Pop categories, especially considering folklore's success and the AOTY nom.
      - Bennet and Gaga's noms feel like a swan song for Bennet himself, but good for them I guess.
      - Very happy for Jazmine Sullivan and Lil Nas X. Also pleasantly surprised with Halsey's nom. It's a shame that they probably won't win anything.
      - I didn't expect all those noms for Jon Baptiste, but good on him.
      - I love Black Pumas, and even saw them live a few weeks ago, but they didn't deserve those nominations. It's rhe third year in a row that they've submitted variations of the same material, it's time to give a chance to someone else (e.g. Maneskin, who was invited to announce the nominations but were snubbed everywhere).
      - ABBA is so random as a ROTY. Not mad at it, but there were other songs that deserved the slot in my opinion.
      - Something needs to be done about H.E.R.. It's getting ridiculous at this point.
      - Scooter sure knows how to get votes.
      - Finneas getting a Best New Artist nomination whilst being the most awarded artist two years ago is funny.
      - YEBBA deserved to get something.
      - Kanye literally peed on them and he still gets recognition from them. And for an overblown mess that also awards Marilyn Manson and Dababy! What were they thinking?
      - Little Simz and Dave deserved to be in the Rap genres.
      - Tyler should have gotten an AOTY nomination, and I think Bo should have gotten one as well with the expansion to 10 slots.
      - Brandi Carlile's noms are a great indication for her next year.
      - Best Music Video is such a mess.
      - It's ironic that The Weeknd received three nominations this year, two of which are for AOTY, after what happened last year.
      Last edited by Omiros; Wed November 24, 2021, 11:40.
      Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• theMathematician
        Legend
        • 31 May 2018

Omiros : The Weeknd got nominated as part of collaborations, not due to his own solo works. There was no nomination for 'Save Your Tears' for example.
        I agree with you about HER and Maneskin should've received a Best New Artist nomination. Finneas received nominations as producer for Billie's material two years ago, this year (also) as singer for his own material - therefore the Best New Artist nomination is justified.

Comment

• Omiros
          Legend
          • 05 Nov 2008

Originally posted by theMathematician
          Omiros : The Weeknd got nominated as part of collaborations, not due to his own solo works. There was no nomination for 'Save Your Tears' for example.
          I know, he didn't submit anything this year. I just find it ironic. After Hours deserved to be recognised.

And I understand how Finneas is eligible, but he's been winning Grammys for two years so he's not really "new" in my opinion.
          Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• theMathematician
            Legend
            • 31 May 2018

Originally posted by Omiros
            And I understand how Finneas is eligible, but he's been winning Grammys for two years so he's not really "new" in my opinion.
            He's not a new producer; that's correct. It's as if Max Martin hadreleased a solo album in 2021 after having primarily been a producer before. Always part of the music business in the widest sense, but a new role basically.

Comment

• bm08
              • 07 Apr 2013

I disagree that opening the main categories to 10 takes away the prestige. If anything, it allows more people to share in that prestige. Out of the thousands of albums released for consideration, to be in the top 10 is still quite a worthy honor. I doubt anyone nominated will moan about having two extra albums there.

See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Noahh
                Legend
                • 02 Mar 2010

Shame Miley's album completely got snubbed. It's such a great record and she's had an amazing year.
                Can't believe Bieber's mediocre album got that many nominations.
                "You know I got the sauce, you know I'm saucy"

Comment

• theMathematician
                  Legend
                  • 31 May 2018

Originally posted by bm08
                  I disagree that opening the main categories to 10 takes away the prestige. If anything, it allows more people to share in that prestige. Out of the thousands of albums released for consideration, to be in the top 10 is still quite a worthy honor. I doubt anyone nominated will moan about having two extra albums there.
                  Prestige always comes along with rarity, and something that is easier to achieve is simply less prestigious.
                  While it is true that 10 out of thousands is still a good achievement, we need to be honest here that most of those albums would never be considered a year's best anyway because they are too unknown or simply not considered good enough by a wider share of critics. We're basically talking about random numbers here, it could be 12, 15 or 20 as well. What would be the point where you would consider it 'too much'?

@Noahh: I don't get Bieber's presence either. The album was a solid chart success, but it wasn't massive. It received 62/100 on Metacritic. It hasn't set any artistic trend. Out of his 8 nominations, the only one I could see him winning is 'Best R&B Performance', but even there, he is battling with HER, who is a Grammy's favorite, and 'Leave The Door Open', another major category nominee.

Comment

• bm08
                    • 07 Apr 2013

Originally posted by theMathematician

Prestige always comes along with rarity, and something that is easier to achieve is simply less prestigious.
                    While it is true that 10 out of thousands is still a good achievement, we need to be honest here that most of those albums would never be considered a year's best anyway because they are too unknown or simply not considered good enough by a wider share of critics. We're basically talking about random numbers here, it could be 12, 15 or 20 as well. What would be the point where you would consider it 'too much'?
                    I would argue they should be proportionate to the number of entries submitted.

If only 8 albums are submitted, would all 8 being nominated still be considered prestigious?

Comment

• theMathematician
                      Legend
                      • 31 May 2018

Good point. No, those 8 would not be considered prestigious. There used to be more categories that got cancelled because the number of submitted records didn't exceed the number of nominated records by much - rightfully so. Still, it doesn't take a genius to assume that Best Pop Vocal Album receives more submissions than let's say Best Spoken Word Album.
                      Speaking of which, Barrack Obama received a nomination in that category ^^ .

Comment

• cheapthrills
                        Administrator and Site Supporter
                        • 08 Jul 2016

Why does this committee keep trying to make HER happen?
                        -
                        And Billie again - this voting is so lazy

Comment

• InFamous
                          Legend
                          • 29 Sep 2016

Mileys album is weak and very overrated on here. It has three or four decent songs. Justin made a great album and definitely deserves his slot.
                          Billie Eilish claims her second Number 1 single with What Was I Made For? , scoring a last-minute victory over Dua Lipa’s Dance The Night.

Comment

• Tansike
                            Site Supporter
                            • 28 Jan 2012

I'm fine with Billie because Happier Than Ever > WWAFAWDWG?

Comment

• Omiros
                              Legend
                              • 05 Nov 2008

Bieber only deserved nominations for Peaches. Every other nomination is a joke.

The number of singles and albums being released is increasing substantially, so having a few more slots makes sense to me.
                              Rest In Peace Lilly!

Comment

• Beautyisbeauty
                                Personal Assistant
                                • 28 Mar 2010

Originally posted by cheapthrills
                                Why does this committee keep trying to make HER happen?
                                -
                                And Billie again - this voting is so lazy
                                The Nomination Review Committees were removed this year. Those results come straight from popular vote. Basically, everybody claiming for years that H.E.R. always had so much support just because she was a committee pick have to face the truth at this point: she is that beloved among the Academy members lol She even got a nomination in the Christian Music Field.
                                Beauty is beauty, whether is black or white

Comment

• InFamous
                                  Legend
                                  • 29 Sep 2016

Originally posted by Beautyisbeauty

The Nomination Review Committees were removed this year. Those results come straight from popular vote. Basically, everybody claiming for years that H.E.R. always had so much support just because she was a committee pick have to face the truth at this point: she is that beloved among the Academy members lol She even got a nomination in the Christian Music Field.
                                  I was about to say.. there is no committee.
                                  Billie Eilish claims her second Number 1 single with What Was I Made For? , scoring a last-minute victory over Dua Lipa’s Dance The Night.

Comment

• croatiaxtina
                                    Legend
                                    • 09 Sep 2009

I saw comments on article about H.E.R.

"I got 23 nominations at 24"

Comments:
                                    Thank you daddy
                                    Daddy did it
                                    BEST SONGS&ALBUMS OF 2017
                                    YOURS, FOREVER. // JOSS JONES (Tracklist)

Comment

• Mugen
                                      Legend
                                      • 28 May 2007

Originally posted by Omiros
                                      - Kanye literally peed on them and he still gets recognition from them. And for an overblown mess that also awards Marilyn Manson and Dababy! What were they thinking?
                                      The new CEO addressed this(since Louis CK and Dave Chappelle also got nominations):

The Recording Academy’s CEO responded to the controversial Grammy nominations Tuesday for artists like Marilyn Manson and Louis CK, who have been accused of sexual misconduct, saying the group does not “restrict” people who submit their work for nominations.

When asked by TheWrap about Manson’s nomination specifically, CEO Harvey Mason Jr. said the Recording Academy does not take into account personal history when determining eligibility for its awards. But he said that does not necessarily mean that they will be invited to the Grammys ceremony.

“We won’t restrict the people who can submit their material for consideration. We won’t look back at people’s history, we won’t look at their criminal record, we won’t look at anything other than the legality within our rules of, is this recording for this work eligible based on date and other criteria. If it is, they can submit for consideration,” Mason told TheWrap.

He continued: “What we will control is our stages, our shows, our events, our red carpets. We’ll take a look at anyone who is asking to be a part of that, asking to be in attendance, and we’ll make our decisions at that point. But we’re not going to be in the business of restricting people from submitting their work for our voters to decide on.”

Manson, whose real name is Brian Warner and has been accused of sexual assault and abuse (Manson has denied the accusations and called the claims “horrible distortions of reality”), was twice nominated this year for his contributions to Kanye West’s “DONDA,” which was nominated for Album of the Year and in Best Rap Song for West’s track “Jail.”

Manson was not the main songwriter submitted for consideration, but as part of the eligibility rules, he is considered a Grammy nominee. The nominations were his sixth in his career.

As for CK, the comedian’s album “Sincerely Louis CK” was nominated for Best Comedy Album alongside comedians like Kevin Hart, Chelsea Handler and Lewis Black. CK admitted in the height of the #MeToo movement to sexual misconduct, and the special was his first since the accusations.

Among some of the other eyebrow-raising nominees was Dave Chappelle, who has faced backlash for transphobic comments made in his recent Netflix stand-up special “The Closer.” He was nominated in the Best Spoken Word category alongside poet Amir Sulaiman for his work in “8:46,” and he’ll go up against Barack Obama, LeVar Burton and Don Cheadle in the category.

See more from Mason’s interview with TheWrap here, and see the full list of Grammy nominations here.

Source: https://www.thewrap.com/grammys-chie...oples-history/

Comment

• Jonathan
                                        Legend
                                        • 12 Aug 2008

Chris Brown has nominations too. Abusing women has never been disqualifier for a Grammy award.
                                        My music library: LAST.FM

Comment

• bm08
                                          • 07 Apr 2013

It’s not a disqualifier but it may tell you a bit about the voters.

Comment

Working...