Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COUNTDOWN: The UKMix Best Debut Single - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COUNTDOWN: The UKMix Best Debut Single - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Welcome to the UKMix Best Debut Single countdown!

No matter who your fave is, they had to start somewhere. In this countdown, only first impressions count - no comebacks. Some started with a bang, others a bit of a whimper, but who actually has the greatest debut single of all time? Let's vote!

========================================================================================
    ======================================

This is my first countdown, so here are some rulez so it doesn't go tits up:

Eligibility:

* Any artist is eligible from any decade, so put your thinking caps on as there are many to choose from.

* Update Debut single is open to interpretation it seems, so to appease some I'll articulate it as this - debut lead single from their initial era. Not a feature, or a buzz track, or a random mixtape song that picked up airplay - it has to be a commercially released single that served as their launchpad, so-to-speak. So, Crazy in Love by Beyonce would fall into this category, as would Genie in a Bottle. Technically, they're not debut in the purest sense but let's all be nice and work it out because upon reflection it causes less stress for me. I'm hoping there are very few instances of this but let's see.

* To avoid me constantly updating this with various artists and what counts, just throw in your lists and if there's a glaring ineligible entry, I'll flag.

* Debut lead single is different to "breakout" hit. If your fave has been trying for years with different songs before their big hit, said big hit is ineligible, soz.

* Despite what anyone says or what happens in the future, "Motivation" by Normani is her lead debut and I won't hear anything else about it.

* If an artist has released different debuts in different regions, both are eligible.

* Groups and solo artists welcome.

* What if an artist has changed name? So, this is a bit tricky. On one hand, Prince and Symbol are the same, so only Prince's debut would be eligible. On the other, Sugababes and MKS to me are different (plus "Flatline" is an underrated gem) so they'll be eligible. Billie and Billie Piper are the same, so as banging as Day and Night is, it's not eligible. Same applies to Cheryl Cole and Cheryl, minus the banging bit. If I'm unsure, I'll ask the wider community here for a general consensus.

---
    Submission:

* You can submit up to a maximum of 50 amazing debut singles, but if you can't be bothered I'll accept a minum of 20.

* Votes are now closed. Soz.

I'm overwhelmed, is there a list of sorts?

Yes, yes there is. It is here, just click this magic button below and you'll be treated to some obvious ones and some hidden gems too, such as "Are You Jimmy Ray?" and "Ce n'était qu'un rêve". It also features all the debut solo Spice Girl songs except Victoria Beckham and all the solo singles from Eternal, except Esther, Kelle and Vernie.

Any additional debuts that are missing, I'll add along as the votes come through, but tbh it's pretty open and surely as music lovers you're more than capable of coming up with your own lists. Note, not all of these recommendations have been checked for eligibility, so if you see something that's clearly wrong, let me know!

Spoiler!

*This is certainly not an exhaustive list - many of your faves are probably missing. If you need further help, Metalweb kindly points out an NME list further on into this thread so go take a peek. You do not have to pick songs just from this list!

Submission Format:

Use the below format, please.

50 POINTS - ARTIST - SONG TITLE(top)
    ---
    01 POINTS - ARTIST - SONG TITLE(bottom)
    ---

* Happy to take revisions up to the deadline, but I shan't be held liable for any revisions not remembered that are sent on a Friday or Saturday night because wine.

Tagging the top 100 posters in the hope at least three of you participate:

Spoiler!

When 90s Jesus was born:

Greatest Of All Time

Comment

I will play and pick up some hosting tips.

All remember the most successful debut single of all time, yes, I am talking about Lutricia McNeal's "Aint That Just The Way".
      1 Camila Cabello |2 J Balvin|3 Majestic |4 Kevin McKay |5 Wizkid

Comment

Of course Katy would win this easily in the real world
        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

I instantly know what I’m putting at #1 and possibly #2 but the rest will need some thought.

Can someone do a list of suggestions for the lazy ones amongst us?

Comment

Exactly.

Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
            When 90s Jesus was born:

Comment

So many choices buy great idea for a countdown.

Comment

Poor Crazy In Love and Genie In A Bottle tho.
                Greatest Of All Time

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                  Can someone do a list of suggestions for the lazy ones amongst us?
                  I'll update the OP with a list once some nominations come through if that helps?

Comment

I was initially thinking about including one of them, but... you know. In fact, I feel like most artists had a few OK songs before having their first great one, making it quite hard to come up with a list imo.
                    Pro: freedom of speech
                    Contra: cancel culture

Comment

What was Christina’s debut? I’m sure it was GIAB in the UK.

Comment

Plenty of good suggestions here:

100 Greatest Debut Singles of All Time - Rolling Stone
                        Last edited by Metalweb; Sun May 16, 2021, 21:12.

Comment

thnkas metalweb, I'd really need a starting point in order to come up with 50!
                          CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                          FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

So GIAB is eligible? The Mulan song wasn’t a k single?
                            Greatest Of All Time

Comment

So GIAB is eligible? The Mulan song wasn’t a k single?
                              GIAB was her first smash hit and the first single from her debut album, Reflection - the first song released (nominated for a Golden Globe ).

Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

Of course Genie in a Bottle is elegible - it was her debut single.

How will it work for Ariana ? Is her debut considered Put your hearts up ?

What about Whitney ? Is is You give good love or Saving all my love for you

This could be kinda messy.

Comment

Which single was Madonna's debut ?
                                  Last edited by LastDreamer; Sun May 16, 2021, 21:40.
                                  My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                  In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

I guess we have to look at the UK Top 75 to see what the UK debut single was for a certain artist?

My suggestions:

Paula Abdul - Straight Up
                                    Christina Aguilera - Genie in a bottle
                                    Tina Arena - Chains
                                    Toni Braxton - Breathe Again
                                    Mariah Carey - Vision of Love
                                    Beverley Craven - Promise Me
                                    Celine Dion - Where Does My Heart Beat Now
                                    En Vogue - Hold On
                                    Miami Sound Machine - Dr Beat
                                    Eternal - Stay
                                    Lara Fabian - I Will Love Again
                                    Debbie Gibson - Only In My Dreams
                                    Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
                                    Madonna - Holiday
                                    Martika - Toy Soldiers
                                    Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
                                    Wilson Phillips - Hold On
                                    a-ha - Take On Me
                                    Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
                                    Lady Gaga - Just Dance
                                    Michael Bublé - Sway
                                    Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
                                    Meghan Trainor - It's all about that bass
                                    Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky

What was Whitney Houston's first single in the UK? Hold Me? Saving All My Love For You?

What about Lionel Richie? Do we count the Commodores? Or his duet with Diana Ross? Or Truly?

And Wham! Young Guns (their first hit) or Wham Rap! (their official first single)?
                                    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Madonna's first single was 'Everybody'

Comment

I feel like there's a super obvious winner here, but let's see what happens. Will try to send my list next weekend.
                                        Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 Good 4 U [13 weeks]

Remember that you are water. Cry. Cleanse. Flow.
                                        Remember that you are fire. Burn. Tame. Ignite.
                                        Remember that you are air. Be still. Focus. Decide.
                                        Remember that you are earth. Ground. Build. Give.

Comment

I have 8 so far. I think I will struggle to get 50 so I may have to submit 30 instead. There are already some true classic songs among my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalweb View Post
                                            Madonna's first single was 'Everybody'
                                            I know it was in the US, but I was wondering if it was in the UK as well. And if so, does everybody know as it didn't chart?
                                            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                              Of course Katy would win this easily in the real world
                                              Katy's debut single was "Ur So Gay".
                                              My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).
                                              In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post

I know it was in the US, but I was wondering if it was in the UK as well. And if so, does everybody know as it didn't chart?
                                                Discogs confirms it was released in the UK:

Madonna - Everybody | Releases, Reviews, Credits | Discogs

Comment

Originally posted by LastDreamer View Post

Katy's debut single was "Ur So Gay".
                                                  Yeah no it wasn't. Youre so Gay was a promo single. I kissed a Girl was her first official single as per rules.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X