Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does "Back in the day" mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "Back in the day" mean to you?

On my lunch today I read an article talking about the term "back in the day" and what it means to different people about different genres of music. For example, some people may see rap music from "back in the day" being about NWA, or others as Kanye's 'College Dropout' LP - all depends on your own feelings of nostalgia and ultimately age.

So, thought it was an interesting topic to throw open to the forum given we've got a mix of ages on here with varying perceptions.

For me, back in the day means:

R&B - circa '94-98 (Monica's 'Miss Thang', Lauryn's 'The Miseducation of', TLC etc)
    Pop - circa '96-99 (Spice Girls, Steps, Billie, 911 etc)
    Dance - circa '93-96 (The Real Mcoy, N Trance, 2 Unlimited etc)
    Rock - the 70's (T Rex, ZZ Top, Pink Floyd etc)

I'm an 80's child but found my love for music in the 90's, thus that's probably why I look fondly at that particular era. Interesting though how I feel 'Rock' music from "Back in the day" is more 70s - I suppose that's because it's not a genre I've ever really explored in as much depth as the others.

What about you?

I'd say "back in the day" for me is most of the R&B and pop music released from the 90s to the early 00s.
    Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [385-381]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

anything over 20 years ago
      My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

I'd say the 80's as a whole pretty much any genre and then Pop and Dance into the 90's.
        It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
        But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

Comment

Anything up to 2003 for me, just before the dreaded hip-hop takeover.

Comment

The 90's, especially since next year is 20 years since the Spice Girls released their first single They were the first musical act I ever liked, so my first music is officially two decades old...
            I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!

Comment

I'd say pre-2013
              I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Merci
                I'd say pre-2013
                So, you'd say something akin to "I wish r&b was as good as it was back in the day when Frank Ocean release Channel Orange"? That seems incredibly recent to me!

Nb. Frank's just an example, I've no idea if you'd actually say that!

Comment

I get nostalgic feelings over songs that were released eight to ten years ago, but "back in the day" for me would have to cover everything from my birth year (1991) to 1999, the year before my life took a radical change.
                  Originally posted by Kaloki
                  I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

you were born in 1991? I dunno why but I thought you were a little closer to 30 (not that it's a bad thing), I just thought you were more a 1986-1988 baby for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by Kaloki
                      I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

I was born in 1991, but I attribute the term "back in the day" to anything before 1998. And most of the people I know in my circle aren't older than 45, so I also attribute "back in the day" to also mean to the disco era. Anything before that is "back in the olden days" lol

Anything after 1998 was like the giant pop era of like the Britney's & NSYNC's, and from that to now just doesn't feel like it warrants the nostalgia of the R&B & soul that proceeded it.

idk I prob don't make any sense

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
                          what hiphop takeover? wasn't that in 80/90s, all those rappers?

i think the music is getting better and better and i actually find a lot of older music bori ng and uninteresting, so i don't use this term tbh.
                          be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Though I might start using it very soon when my fave flops cuz she's fool, so it'll be "back in the day when Rih gave a ffck about promoting her music and when she was smashing".
                            be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

Originally posted by Serby
                              Hiphop was big in the 80s and especially 90s but Wayne does have a point, although it started a little earlier in the US. From 2002-2005, hip hop dominated radio and the charts the way disco did in the late 70s. It was present before and has been since then but for 4-5 years there, it was the alpha and omega in mainstream music, at least in the US, I don't think it was quite as big in the UK.

Comment

back in the day = anything before the year 2000
                                My Chart

Comment

Christina Aguilera - Back To Basics.

Comment

Originally posted by Merci
                                    I'd say pre-2013
                                    #Pray4AL6

Comment

Originally posted by Serby

i think the music is getting better and better and i actually find a lot of older music bori ng and uninteresting, so i don't use this term tbh.
                                      and I see it exactly the other way around

back in the day is firstly everything before 2002, mostly music from the 90s and 80s cause I relate to those decades

and I thought of Christina's song too
                                      I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

The 90's until like 2000!
                                        Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.

Comment

Pre 2003 I'd say as that's when I became 18.

Comment

the 90s and early 00s - I guess pre 2010
                                            Haven't been early since '88

Comment

"Back in the day" for most people will mean when a new genre or movement took over from an existing, or well loved one (by the individual) and thus applying in to the former genre or movement, before the new one took over.
                                              Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Comment

90's for me.

TLC - CrazySexyCool
                                                Monica - Miss Thang
                                                Boyz II Men - II
                                                Mariah - Musicbox and Daydream...and Butterfly
                                                Brandy - Brandy

But probably the ultimate for me is:

Toni Braxton - Secrets
                                                | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Originally posted by preyan
                                                  90's for me.

TLC - CrazySexyCool
                                                  Monica - Miss Thang
                                                  Boyz II Men - II
                                                  Mariah - Musicbox and Daydream...and Butterfly
                                                  Brandy - Brandy

But probably the ultimate for me is:

Toni Braxton - Secrets
                                                  It was literally the best time for RnB fans.Remember Tevin Campbell?I had his I'm Ready album on constant repeat.That kid was something else.

Btw,i love all those albums you listen and i might add
                                                  R.Kelly - R
                                                  Tevin Campbell - I'm Ready
                                                  Toni Braxton - Toni Braxton
                                                  Janet - janet

Comment

Working...
                                                  X