Undercover's Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Undercover
    I'm looking for "TOP POPS/MUSIC NOW" and "MERSEYBEAT / MUSIC ECHO" Charts to complete my 60's singles charts collection.

Comment

Thanks for your likes and comments, guys.

This had to be posted yesterday. However, due to very busy evening, was postponed until today.

January 22

Southern California garage punks Audacity are gearing up to release their new full-length Hyper Vessels this spring, and the lead single “Dirty Boy” is like a flush punch in the mouth to start a fight. The song leans toward the proto-punk of Death and the Velvet Undergound with high-energy, interlocking guitar rhythms galore and rolling drum transitions. (Stereogum)
      Audacity - Dirty Boy

Out January 29 on FIFA Records, the new single from Dubliner Ken Griffin, and pianist John Rauchenberger. Stirring chorus of brass, strings and shuffling guitar, along with New York-based Griffin’s baritone is a taster of their new album 'Madness Is the Mercy' due out later this Spring. (Little Indie Blogs)
      August Wells - A Little Too Real

DIIV have shared the title track to their upcoming album, Is The Is Are. This was the last song that was written for the album, even after the rest of the tracks had already been recorded. Is The Is Are is out 2/5 via Captured Tracks. (Stereogum)
      DIIV - Is The Is Are

Emerging out of the same Mersey-side scene as the likes of Stealing Sheep, here is the premiere of newcomers HAARM’s first single, Foxglove. (Q Magazine)
      Haarm - Foxglove

Long-running indie institution Half Japanese release their new Perfect LP at January 22 via Joyful Noise. Musically, the song gels on raucous drums, staccato stabs of guitar and a '60s garage rock organ. (Exclaim!)
      Half Japanese - We Cannot Miss

Iggy Pop has revealed the first song from his Josh Homme-produced album 'Post Pop Depression'. Pop's new album was made in collaboration with Homme, and with Matt Helders of Arctic Monkeys on drums. 'Gardenia' is the first song from the nine-song album, which will be released on March 18 through Caroline International. (NME)
      Iggy Pop - Gardenia

Brighton-based brothers Lee and Nick Meldrum make up the post-punk two-piece known as SONS. They've been together - musically, at least - for barely five months, but have already started to gain a healthy following in and around Sussex. And while there may just be two of them, in a similar vein to Royal Blood, their sound is loud and raw, mixing together a ferocious cocktail of punk, grunge and indie rock drenched in venomous energy. (Little Indie Blogs)
      Sons - Reptiles

Manchester's Working For A Nuclear Free City are completely unconcerned with genre and make some of the most intriguing music around. New track "Run" showcases a fusion of mutant funk, fried electronics, and twisted pop that combine to make something unquestionably their own. (The Line Of Best Fit)
      Working For A Nuclear Free City - Run
      My Likes On Soundcloud
      Last.fm

Comment

Audacity. Sons and Working For A Nuclear Free City are nice ones
        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

“Change My Head” is a dreamy slice of pop, built on subtle guitar moans groaning underneath piano chords slowly plinking out like a barroom pianist at the end of the night. That is until the chorus, which pops off like slowly exploding stars, twinkling notes falling in the background as the drums seem to be pounding themselves awake. Still, the song never strays too far from its mellow vibes, making it an utterly pleasant listen while maintaining an excitement in its composition that pays off big in the outro. (Consequence Of Sound)
          Autolux - Change My Head
          I loved Future Perfect when it came out. Transit Transit was a good too but it was a little bit disappointing compared to Future Perfect. I really hope that their new album is nothing short of amazing.
          Last fm

Comment

^ I know only a few of their songs. Superboys, Turnstile Blues and a collaboration with UNKLE on Joy Factory. Unfortunately, they make records very rarely :( . Btw, thanks for visiting . I saw your post on Your Favorite Album from Each Year (2005-2015) topic and was impressed.

January 23

De Montevert has a dream-like quality, one that is highly imaginative but also incredibly raw. Sitting somewhere between Cat Power and Kim Deal, her music - slightly lo-fi, slightly early 90s in tone, and slightly beautiful - is already winning acclaim. (Clash Magazine)
            De Montevert - It's Alright I'm Probably Dreaming

Athens rockers Eureka California returned with this exhilarating rocker Sign My Name With An X, fueled by distorted guitars and an earnest vocal performance. (Austin Town Hall)
            Eureka California - Sign My Name With An X

London quintet craft high intensity melodies, crunchy guitars, big hooks and a rocky punch here on this lead single from their self-titled debut EP, launched at Proud Camden on March 10 prior to release the following day. (Little Indie Blogs)
            Fades - Breaking Through The Walls

“Drive Your Car” is a fierce rock song submerged in reverb, off a 7-inch out Feb. 12 via Ruined Vibes/Black Mass Recordings. L.A. Witch continues delving deep into the dark side, allowing its sound to ebb and flow like a black tide. (Buzzbands.LA)
            L.A. Witch - Drive Your Car

Minneapolis ’80s-style rock trio Night Moves have a flair for old-school videos that mirror their revivalist leanings. "Denise, Don’t Wanna See You Cry" is a stinging, heartfelt vow to right the wrongs of a relationship. The lyrical core of the group, John Pelant and Micky Alfano, pen simple but stirring lyrics and deliver them with a palpable yearning. (Stereogum)
            Night Moves - Denise, Don’t Wanna See You Cry

Plaudits are a new electronic three-piece from Leicester. Influenced by "all things electronic", the four-minute self-produced 'Honest' takes a driving beat, adding piano, melodic guitars and Reid's searing vocal over the top, to create a rather fine debut track that is both vibrant and effective, yet also darkly stirring. (Little Indie Blogs)
            Plaudits - Honest

Devonshire trio Reigning Days have released a video for their epic single Renegade. Featuring colossal riffs, massive basslines, and a mammoth chorus (you’re getting this is big, right?), there’s a reason a lot of people are comparing them to another famous Devonshire trio who know how to Plug In (Baby) properly… (Kerrang!)
            Reigning Days - Renegade

Denton, Texas’ Relick has a name that invokes an image of some ‘90s soft-grunge rip-off, but don’t let it fool you: Relick makes inspired and jaunty indie tunes. New track “Offering,” which comes from the upcoming Twin House EP, is perfect for fans of Rilo Kiley—a little bit retro with a whole lot of soul. (Magnet Magazine)
            Relick - Offering

If you always wondered what it would have been like if a-ha, Howard Jones and Kim Wilde got into a room sometime circa 1985 and jammed together, this track is probably the closest thing you’ll get to an answer. (Idolator)
            St. Lucia - Help Me Run Away

After stirring our earbuds with their first-of-the-year delight 'Afternoon', just a few weeks ago, north London duo Tender have wasted no time in unleashing a second before January is out. Taken from their 'EP II, released on February 12, 'Lost' evokes all the pair's - Dan and James - best synth-pop finesse, worked into this uptempo track with a groove of a bass line. (Little Indie Blogs)
            Tender - Lost

As a member of Cincinnati’s underrated alternative-nation outfit the Ass Ponys, Chuck Cleaver was already an Ohio rock hero when he and Lisa Walker started Wussy about a decade ago. They’re back this year with their sixth LP, Forever Sounds, and lead single “Dropping Houses”. It’s a swaggering, bleary, distorted churn topped off by another virtuoso vocal duet from Walker and Cleaver. (Stereogum)
            Wussy - Dropping Houses
            My Likes On Soundcloud
            Last.fm

Comment

Tender - Lost is my fave

Comment

January 22
                Sons - Reptiles
                +
                Audacity - Dirty Boy
                DIIV - Is The Is Are
                Iggy Pop - Gardenia
                (agree on all those Youtube comments, indeed resembles on Bowie voice more than ever)

January 23
                a great great day, practically everything deserves to be picked up

Comment

Originally posted by navi
                  a great great day, practically everything deserves to be picked up
                  navi, you're flattering me!

January 26

B Boys are a post-punk band signed to Captured Tracks. “Get A Grip,” from their forthcoming No Worry No Mind EP, is part of the same pulse-racing New York rock continuum that includes Parquet Courts’ “Stoned And Starving” and the Strokes’ “New York City Cops,” but with gang vocals, phased-out ’80s guitars, and lots of arty intellectual ideas. (Stereogum)
                  B Boys - Get A Grip

Stockholm's Diskopunk plays music that's a combination of disco and (post) punk. "Antonio America" is heavy on the sounds of 2002 and the punk-funk influences of the likes of The Rapture and DFA Records; the rhythms are propulsive, there's heavy use of cowbell and angular guitars and a middle section. (The Line Of Best Fit)
                  Diskopunk - Antonio America

The Joy Formidable have returned with details of that forthcoming LP. Titled Hitch, it’s slated for a March 25th release through the band’s own C’Mon Lets Drift/Caroline Records. Our first taste of the new full-length comes courtesy of “The Last Thing On My Mind”. The lead single plays out like smoky rocker, and comes with its own booty-filled music video. (Consequence Of Sound)
                  Joy Formidable - The Last Thing On My Mind

Since the dissolution of WU LYF in 2012, vocalist Ellery Roberts has been periodically putting out his own music as LUH (Lost Under Heaven) alongside Ebony Hoorn, including “Kerou’s Lament,” “Unites,” and two new tracks last year. Today, Roberts has shared a new track and video for “I&I,” which was produced by the Haxan Cloak. “I&I speaks of impulse & limitation, the thoughts that pass thru the morning air, the embers of a dreams left unspoken then forgotten. (Stereogum)
                  LUH - I&I

"Chicken n Dump" is a new song from the Mike and the Melvins, but technically it's new only to us. The legendary Northwestern sludge metal trio hooked up with noise rock bassist Mike Kunka as his band GodheadSilo embarked on what would become a permanent hiatus in 1998, eventually recording a bundle of songs their label agreed to release that, mysteriously, would never see the light of day. Just as confusingly as the album died, it was reborn last year, when Kunka and the Melvins reconvened to put the finishing touches on the thing. The album's called Three Men and a Baby, and it's out April 1 on Sub Pop. (Noisey)
                  Mike & The Melvins - Chicken n Dump

Clocking in at just under seven minutes, "First Light Of Winter" swirls with an undercurrent of tension and menace as it relates a descent into depression and the long climb out again. (The Mad Mackerel)
                  Miranda Lee Richards - First Light Of Winter

The band hit tragic circumstances in late 2013, when Benjamin Curtis passed away following a battle against a rare form of T-Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma. Working to the last, Curtis left behind a number of recordings intended to be used on a new album. Alejandra Deheza completed work on the record alongside producer Justin Meldal-Johnsen, the results are a bold salute to love, art and the beauty that can be found in the most simple of experiences. New cut 'Ablaze' sums up the sheer hazy, dream-like atmosphere that exists in the best School Of Seven Bells work. (Clash Magazine)
                  School Of Seven Bells - Ablaze

Albums of the week

Black Box Revelation - Highway Cruiser
                  Fuzz - II
                  Half Moon Run - Sun Leads Me On
                  Wax Idols - American Tragic
                  My Likes On Soundcloud
                  Last.fm

Comment

January 27

British fuzz fans EAT have shared their debut track ‘Byker Drone’. The scuzzy guitar parts and vocals create a dynamic atmoshpere which enable the fast-paced rhythmic drive to complement the overall sound full of energy and electricity. (It's All Indie)
                    EAT - Byker Drone

LA's James Supercave have released the video for their latest single 'Better Strange'. The title-track from their forthcoming debut LP, it's another taste of moreish psychedelic pop from the band. The album 'Better Strange' is out February 12. (The 405)
                    James Supercave - Better Strange

The Texan band Mind Spiders play a form of psych-rock that draws from punk, from space-rock, and from krautrock. It’s a sound that manages to be both vicious and expansive. The band just announced that they’ll release a new album calle Prosthesis in a couple of months, and the first single is the driving, slashing “Cold.” (Stereogum)
                    Mind Spiders - Cold

A hypnotic guitar riff and a steady drum beat create a sound that could lull you to a trance. Then Stephanie Crase’s ethereal voice enters the frame to lead you deeper into “Shoot And Score,” the eerie, transcendent first single off Summer Flake’s upcoming Hello Friends. (Stereogum)
                    Summer Flake - Shoot And Score

Montreal's Suuns have announced their third record Hold/Still, and revealed its first single "Translate". (The Line Of Best Fit)
                    Suuns - Translate

Soon to release a new album Out Of The Garden on Polyvinyl Records, Tancred brings some visceral feelings to their new single “Sell My Head. You can sense the catharsis in this song’s defiant, retrospective lyrics and aggressive guitar parts. On top of that there’s the grungy, almost surf-rock bass parts, upbeat drum patterns, and crisp Jessica Abbott's vocals. (Stereogum)
                    Tancred - Sell My Head
                    My Likes On Soundcloud
                    Last.fm

Comment

My picks over the last two days
                      Mind Spiders - Cold
                      Suuns - Translate
                      School Of Seven Bells - Ablaze

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo
                        Joy Formidable are slightly descending (or moving to mainstream, it's the same ), imo. Still sounds good.

January 28

Sci Fi Steven of Scottish indie/electro trio bis, released the latest EP from his oddball electro punk side project Batteries. “Wah! Kinder” is a semi-autobiographical tale of trying to stay in touch from the peripheries and the fear of being replaced and rendered obsolete. (Overblown)
                        Batteries - Wah! Kinder

Across two studio albums Left With Pictures have stamped out a deeply individual template. New album 'Afterlife' arrives on April 29th, with Richard Formby acting as producer. The band are premiering new cut 'Terra Firma', and it's a real gem. Amid squalls of plaintive electronics and church-like harmonies the song progresses at its own languid pace, a contemplative, atmospheric piece of work. (Clash Magazine)
                        Left With Pictures - Terra Firma

“Nostalgia” is the first word spoken on “All Washed Up”, an apt choice considering Some Gifts’ penchant for quality nostalgic sounds cultivated from some older alt-rock inspirations, including Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Pixies, and Nirvana. These are oft-mentioned influences for many bands today, though the LA-based Some Gifts are certainly stronger at reproducing the period than most. (Obscure Sound)
                        Some Gifts - All Washed Up
                        My Likes On Soundcloud
                        Last.fm

Comment

Batteries sounds nice

Comment

January 26
                            LUH - I&I
                            B Boys - Get A Grip
                            January 27
                            ANOTHER GREAT DAY
                            All 6
                            January 28
                            Some Gifts - All Washed Up

ps. fast run through, sorry, no additional comments

Comment

Originally posted by navi
                              fast run through
                              It seems that you are very busy these days.

January 29

Brooklyn's gothy-leaning Bootblacks are set to release their debut album, titled Veins, which will be out March 11. Mixing synths, drum machines, echoey guitars and impassioned singing, the band are direct sonic descendants of Xymox and Front Line Assembly. "Sub-Rosa" is the album's first single. (BrooklynVegan)
                              Bootblacks - 8 Sub Rosa

Cherubs are back with the Fist in the Air EP, out February 26th via Brutal Panda Records. “Red Carpet Blues” serves as a teaser track, and it’s one hell of primal jam. Its sinister vocal melody is wrapped around a driving beat, recalling Nick Cave’s Grinderman project and Era Vulgaris-era Queens of the Stone Age with its guttural rock ‘n roll punch. (Consequence Of Sound)
                              Cherubs - Red Carpet Blues

If you’re from Mirror Travel’s town, a.k.a. Nowheresville, Texas, there’s not much else to do. That’s the gist of “Yesca,” the lead single from their forthcoming sophomore album, Cruise Deals, due March 11. Over a swirling windstorm of post-punk/shoegaze haze, lead singer Lauren Green urges, “Stay, go / Stay, go / Stay, go,” as if to say that it doesn’t matter which option you choose — it’ll all end up the same anyway. (SPIN)
                              Mirror Travel - Yesca

The song bounces along on a wave of distorted guitar melodies that lend an almost whimsical counterpoint to the lyrics, which drip with cynicism but still register as a good time. (Consequence Of Sound)
                              Neighbors - Secret

New Cowboy Builders are a Bristol based band originally from South Wales that have put out a couple of EPs in the last few years independently, and have an album coming out soon on Bath’s Killing Moon Records. The first track released from it is the intriguingly titled Top Jokes Only A Receptionist Would Get, which is a satisfyingly brutal slab of noisy, confrontational punk rock. (Mad Mackerel)
                              New Cowboy Builders - Top Jokes Only A Receptionist Would Get

“Anatomic” is the title track from Santa Monica-based Opus Orange. You can expect a healthy dosage of head-nodding goodness from today’s premiere, provided by the combination of driving percussion and a big, buzzing bassline. Accompanying those are some reverberating synths, frenetic guitar riffs, and delightfully distressed vocals which all come together in an extremely memorable experience. (Music Ninja)
                              Opus Orange - Anatomic

Danish narco-rock duo the Raveonettes released a surprise album called Pe’ahi last year, and they’re also planning on giving us an album’s worth of songs this year. But rather than release the LP all at once, the duo are instead planning on dropping a new song every month in what they’re calling the Rave-Sound-Of-The-Month series. The first song in the series is a glistening, humming synthpop jam called “This World Is Empty Without You.” (Stereogum)
                              Raveonettes - This World is Empty (Without You)

'Late Nights & Lazy Afternoons', is the new album released January 29 by Spring Vibes Arkestra. The Norwegian Oslo-based trio start off with "Summer Heat' with some psych vibes not too dissimilar from an early TOY. From here the record delves into some interesting experimental areas, using a diverse array of instrumentation from the usual guitars and bass to bongos, djembe, bulbul tarang (an Indian string instrument). The result is ten tracks that are subtle, shimmering and unusual as they traverse across neo-psych, retro jazz/ soul terrain. (Little Indie Blogs)
                              Spring Vibes Arkestra - Summer Heat
                              Spring Vibes Arkestra - Polo Shirts Meet Polka Dot Skirts
                              My Likes On Soundcloud
                              Last.fm

Comment

Both songs are amazing!!!
                                I'm looking for "TOP POPS/MUSIC NOW" and "MERSEYBEAT / MUSIC ECHO" Charts to complete my 60's singles charts collection.

Comment

Hello. And Bye.

Comment

Hello. And Bye.

Comment

Hello. And Bye.

Comment

I'd choose Mirror Travel and The Raveonettes obviously

Comment

Hello. And Bye.

Comment

Working...
                                          X