Musical Legacy of the 2010's | 2020('s) Predictions/Speculations Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical Legacy of the 2010's | 2020('s) Predictions/Speculations Thread

So a thread Idea i've had for a little while, thought it would be interesting as we enter the final year of the decade, to:

- look back at what we think will be the defining moments musically from this decade now;
    - what may be yet to come this year to start laying the groundwork in taking us into 2020 and onward (a kindof mini predictions thread);
    - and also have something to look back on at the end of this year;
    - and then revisit in the 2020's once we are a bit further removed from the decade to see what we think then.

Kicking things off, Trend wise we had the EDM Pop craze entering the decade as a carry over from 2008/09, With Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Kesha, Katy Perry, Taio Cruz, Kylie Minogue, Usher, J Lo, Britney etc all frontrunners of the genre during 2010-2012. There was also a lot of DJ collaborations with the likes of David Guetta and Calvin Harris.

Towards the middle of the Decade we had the 'Tropical House' sounds becoming very popular, present in Justin Bieber's work around 2015-17, Major Lazer 'Lean On', Sia 'Cheap Thrills' Clean Bandit's 'Rockabye' Ed Sheeran's 'Shape Of You' Etc.

Mumble Rap and Trap styles surged in popularity also, more evident in the latter part of the decade and now, with acts such as Drake, Post Malone, Khalid all having some chart success. Beyonce and Rihanna started to bring some of this into their releases towards mid-Decade (BEYONCE, LEMONADE, Unapologetic and Anti).

A Few artists found success by incorporating Country elements into their music, such as Lady Gaga (Joanne & A Star Is Born) Justin Timberlake (Man of the Woods) and Kylie Minogue (Golden), whilst Taylor Swift crossed over to Pop starting arguably with 2012's I Knew You Were Trouble and cementing her place in the pop world with 2014's 1989 and then reputation albums in 2017.

Some new artists have had some major breakout moments this decade such as the growth of Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Drake & Ariana Grande. Some big pop diva acts in particular who debuted in the latter parts of the 00's/very early 10's have had rises and falls, rivalries and comebacks such as Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Adele, Nicki Minaj, Rita Ora, Jessica Mauboy, Rihanna, Taylor etc. Some who have begun to become big in the latter years of this decade will be interesting to see where they go in the 2020's like Cardi B, Dua Lipa, Post Malone. There may even be an artist still yet to breakthrough in 2019 that will propel into the 2020's.

Band wise we have had the likes of One Direction, 5 Seconds Of Summer, Little Mix, Fifth Harmony becoming big, and others continuing such as Coldplay, Maroon 5, etc.

I'll definitely post more thoughts and points later but basically thought it would be good to get some discussion and reflection happening now and then as we go through 2019.
    Last edited by Affillate; Tue December 31, 2019, 13:22.
    UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

The decade brought us some classics such as:

Adele Someone Like You
    Avicii Wake Me Up
    Gotye Somebody That I Used To Know
    Justin Bieber Sorry
    Major Lazer Lean On
    Clean Bandit Rather Be
    Carly Rae Jepsen Call Me Maybe
    Lorde Royals
    Lady Antebellum Need You Know

The true mark of a legacy is how many songs from that decade will be remembered many years from now? The small selection above are still receiving airplay and streams/sales years after release and that is the true mark of a decades legacy. Of course, there are probably fewer songs from this decade that will be played 10+ years from now when compared to the 80s for example.

Comment

Time to bump this thread perhaps.

So... adding to what I said in the original post:

- Streaming really took off this Decade (streaming services, Youtube view data) also had effects on charts. We started to see long running #1's aided in part by streaming numbers inclusion from around 2017 on (Shape Of You, Despacito, God's Plan, Old Town Road and Dance Monkey come to mind for me).

- TIDAL & Apple Music made big debuts mid Decade onto the streaming landscape. This led to some interesting issues with exclusivity (Beyonce's LEMONADE and Taylor Swift's catalogue are some particular examples - the latter was released back onto Spotify the same day of Katy Perry's Witness album drop, fuelling further spec about the two's ongoing feud; and LEMONADE ended up on Spotify (after being TIDAL exclusive) three years later. reputation was also not on streaming (apart from Apple Music IIRC) for the first few weeks).

- We had multiple songs from an album jump up the chart despite not being released as a single at that point in time (Ed Sheeran, Drake, I think maybe Ariana had this with thank u next at one point also?) and with Seasonal music (Mariah returning to top the chart with AIWFCIY).

- Songs popular as parts of memes or challenges,Youtube and Apps such as TikTok also had some influence. Even if not in the charts, they did become pop culture phenomenons. (Rebecca Black's Friday, Gangnam Style, Whip/Nae Nae, In My Feelings etc).

New artists yet to debut:
      -2019 has given us Billie Eilish, who will be interesting to follow over the next few years, also some others like Lil Nas X and Lizzo. Can Tones and I move onwards from the enormous success of Dance Monkey? Meanwhile, in things we were anticipating in 2019, Ava Max is still yet to drop her album (as is Rihanna! LOL).

So any predictions/speculations for 2020? or any bold trend predictions/speculations for the coming decade? There's a few interesting artist recaps of their 2010's journey and stuff on youtube that i've found.
      Last edited by Affillate; Tue December 31, 2019, 13:20.
      UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

Mindnumbing trap/hip-hop domination and streaming taking the centre stage is the "legacy" of the decade.
        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

The shift in music consumption from still largely physical (albums), on TV channels and viral moments being a new and exciting thing at the beginning of the decade to music consumption being primarily online, albums streamed with both physical and digital sales suffering in many cases, YouTube superseding the need for music television and viral becoming cliche as literally everything goes viral has turned music from a shared experience - everyone knowing what songs were out, what artists were big etc. - to an insular one - a lot of people don't know who is big/ popular, stick to artists they know and like. New methods of consumption have also killed off the album era. Where in the early 2010s artists such as Plan B could roll out the Strickland Banks concept with music videos, performances and linked songs over a period of time both before and following album release, such things are not possible anymore as album release day basically allows listeners to tear the whole thing apart and then move on from it. Many artists basically make the whole album available through YouTube teasers before album release. A lot of the excitement has left the music industry.

That said, a lot of people who couldn't afford or access albums for different reasons now have the opportunity to listen to millions upon millions of songs for as little as a few quid a month, so there are benefits.

It will be interesting to see how artists will achieve longevity over the coming years and increase audience impact. Many of the biggest new names are total unknowns even to many younger people. Your average 25 year old probably has little idea who someone like Billie Eilish is, where as 10 years ago someone with sales figures like hers would have been known by nans and grandads up and down the land.

A lot of artists seem to be constantly trying to SHOCK, to create moments. You notice how so many of these YouTube videos have similar titles...

So-and-so OWNS other person.
          So-and-so DESTROYS other person.
          So-and-so OBLITERATED other person's song.

... yet nothing that exciting is happening? Music is a lot like that. Consumers are hyped to believe that their favourite artists are of-the-earth, redefining the parameters of society and 'tearing up the game' when really they're just doing exactly the same as everyone else... nice looking music video shared on the same platform to the same viewers. A shake up would come in the form of music-only being put first. If an artist could find a way to generate an audience impression purely through music, an impression that would extend beyond a core fanbase who happen to keep their music on repeat and make them appear more popular than they actually are, now that would be something to see.

Moving forward, I think the most shocking thing anyone in the music industry could do is just make music.

Comment

Working...
          X