The 62nd Annual Grammy Awards (2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abi View Post
    I think she deserved it though I feel like 2019 was such a whack year for music in general.
    Agreed. Haven't bought as few albums as in 2019. May finally add Billie Eilish's album to my collection. Well, 2020 can only be better...
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
      The GOAT piano intro alone has more musicality and is galaxies better than the next 30 years of Eyelash’s and Del Snore’s combined careers tho.
      OK, to get it right this time... GOAT can happily go to any other galaxy and never be heard on this planet again though.
      I have received many gifts from God,
      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Happy for Billie. She deserved these awards.
        Xtina/GoldLink/Slayer/Mobb Deep/KAYTRANADA/2Pac/Snoh ​​Aalegra

Comment

• Just saw the list of performers from last night...not even 1% curious to see any of them. What has happened to music?

Comment

• Rosalia slayed. Never listened to her before, i'll check her discography.
            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post

OK, to get it right this time... GOAT can happily go to any other galaxy and never be heard on this planet again though.
              A+ reading comprehension.

Originally posted by SawyerHewitt
              All dem dead musicians rolling over in their graves 'cause they were never able to come up w/smth as epic and timeless as Kween when she crafted this.

Happy B' day, We beGOAT together <3

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                Rosalia slayed. Never listened to her before, i'll check her discography.
                I'm slowly getting into her music as well. "Con Altura", "Barefoot in the Park" and "Malamente" are bops.

Comment

• So I had the chance of watching the main ceremony after it aired. It seems to me each year has more performers, 22 this year and nine awards were presented including the anticipated "Best Comedy Album" . What's the point of so many performances? Each ceremony has less and less audience. Maybe a change in the main ceremony would help. I still don't get the point of having eight nominees at the main categories, but I'm getting off track.

To begin with what's the point of having a "tribute to nominated artists" and another tribute to Prince? Lets cut some of these performances, 12 are more than enough. Between each performance, an award could be given, making it a total of 12, as well. For instance, besides the usual four, add Best Music Video as it is more relevant today than anything else. Remove Best Comedy Album, we could add Latin category, for example, "Best Latin Rock, Urban or Alternative Album" or "Best Latin Pop Album" due to the rise of Latin music, but there are already the Latin Grammys. Other categories could just simply be Best Country Song, Best R&B Performance and Best Rock Album giving main genres (country is mostly US) some relevance even if it is only one award. On top of that the run time would be much less, around 2 hours with everything in between, right now is next to four hours.

The categories would be as follow:
                  AOTY, ROTY, SOTY, BNA, Best Pop Vocal Album,Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Rap Album, Best Rap/Sung Performance, Best R&B Performance, Best Rock Album, Best Country Song and Best Music Video. Of course, this could vary a bit according to artists and songs involved, but always have these categories and music genres present.
                  As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles

Comment

• frrr : I agree, 12 performances and award presentations sounds fine to me. 8 nominations in the main categories are too much indeed. Take Lana Del Rey's 'NFL' for example: The album didn't receive a nomination in the genre-specific category, which makes it seem like it was a filler in the AOTY category. The 12 categories should cover all main categories and at least one category per major genre (=pop/rock/urban or rap/country), as well as 'Best Music Video'. Of course, they don't need to make a big fuss about small categories like 'Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album', but they could just display winners of other categories every 10 minutes or so.
                    ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• frrr
                      frrr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is actually a good idea of displaying the winners of smaller categories. The whole show is in the past it needs to be re-arranged quickly. Hopefully, Ben Wiston who is going to replace Ken has this taken into consideration.

• This thread really is dead compared to previous years, it seems... Anyway, Billie Eilish said, as part of her acceptance speech, that she wanted Ariana Grande to win the award for AOTY. Makes sense since she's more of a humble person and it reminds me a bit of when Adele wanted Beyoncé to win in 2017. As subjective as taste in music is, there are some people, not necessarily the majority though, who write that they considered Ariana Grande's album to have been the better choice. This got me thinking what 'thank u next!', 'Lemonade' and 'To Pimp a Butterfly' (which lost to '1989' in 2016) have in common and, well, let me quote some lines:
                    'When he f*ck me good, I take his ass to Red Lobster, 'cause I slay.'
                    'Bitch, where you when I was walking? Now I run the game, got the whole word talking.'
                    'Thank U, next! I'm so f*cking grateful for my ex!'

Could it be the case that the Grammy committee considers the bold words to be inappropriate and therefore chose albums that they consider to be superior lyrically?
                    ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                      This thread really is dead compared to previous years, it seems... Anyway, Billie Eilish said, as part of her acceptance speech, that she wanted Ariana Grande to win the award for AOTY. Makes sense since she's more of a humble person and it reminds me a bit of when Adele wanted Beyoncé to win in 2017. As subjective as taste in music is, there are some people, not necessarily the majority though, who write that they considered Ariana Grande's album to have been the better choice. This got me thinking what 'thank u next!', 'Lemonade' and 'To Pimp a Butterfly' (which lost to '1989' in 2016) have in common and, well, let me quote some lines:
                      'When he f*ck me good, I take his ass to Red Lobster, 'cause I slay.'
                      'Bitch, where you when I was walking? Now I run the game, got the whole word talking.'
                      'Thank U, next! I'm so f*cking grateful for my ex!'

Could it be the case that the Grammy committee considers the bold words to be inappropriate and therefore chose albums that they consider to be superior lyrically?
                      Did you actually check every AOTY winner for curse words and found none? Otherwise this seems like quite a reach.

Comment

• The last 5 winners have been:
                        Taylor Swift - 1989
                        Adele - 25
                        Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
                        Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
                        Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep...

Have any of them heavy in terms of offensive lyrical content?
                        ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                          The last 5 winners have been:
                          Taylor Swift - 1989
                          Adele - 25
                          Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
                          Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
                          Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep...

Have any of them heavy in terms of offensive lyrical content?
                          Well, I would say songs regarding sex (24K Magic), suicide and depression (Elish) seem kinda heavy regarding lyrical content.
                          As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles

Comment

• Originally posted by wave View Post
                            Gaga won Soundtrack album and song for visual media.
                            Guess that it remained unnoticed, but apparently, 'A Star Is Born' is the first movie to win for 'Best Song for Visual Media' in multiple years .
                            ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• They obviously rewarded Gaga because they made a huge mistake in snubbing "Shallow" last year by giving the general field awards to that horrific "This Is America" song. After Gaga went to #1 with that hyped Oscars performance with Bradley, I feel like the Grammys felt like they could have had that big performance in their award show but they decided to ignore her, it was the Grammys loss!

It's sad that they didn't even let the other nominees perform anymore. If I were Lana Del Rey, I would have not attended. With how much the focus is on Lizzo, Ariana and Billie, the Grammys are obviously banking on the ratings more than allowing exposure for other nominees. They even had BTS randomly perform there (for the ratings) but it turned out to be something that their biggest fans didn't appreciate.

Comment

Working...
                              X