No announcement yet.

Top Female-Led Singles Countdown - 1990s - COMPLETED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So are we expecting the Kween to win this, or the Queen? Or maybe the princess?

Comment

• great, waiting for the rest
      #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• Ooh excited for this to unfold!

Aside from my own picks shout outs from that bunch to:

Gina G - I Belong To You
        Belinda Carlisle - La Luna
        Crystal Waters - 100% Pure Love
        Steps - One For Sorrow
        Janet Jackson - Come Back To Me (nearly made my list)
        TLC - Red Light Special
        Black Box - Everybody Everybody
        Aqua - My Oh My (also nearly made my list)
        Kylie Minogue - What Do I Have To Do
        This ain't gon be easy

Comment

• Paradisio - Bailando (DNK) - wow, expected to see this much higher
          Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• I totally forgot to vote for Belinda Carlisle - La Luna, I also love My Oh My by Aqua
            I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• Damn - some Kylie songs have already fallen due to the 3 limit rule.

Though I'm not mad that it's Some Kind Of Bliss and What Do I Have To Do
              Originally posted by SummerPeur
              Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
              Originally posted by Goldmoney
              So does her microphone

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellus View Post
                Damn - some Kylie songs have already fallen due to the 3 limit rule.

Though I'm not mad that it's Some Kind Of Bliss and What Do I Have To Do
                I like both of them.
                I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

• some good songs in the list including monnica and Aaliyah but not enough for them to make the top 50. I would have voted Gabrielle- Rise but I'm sure that was released as a single in Jan 2000

Comment

• Ah I checked - you are correct - I looked up the album by mistake instead of the single.

Though tbh I didn't look up every song's release date because that would have been time consuming, just ones I suspected were outside the parameters.

Comment

• Looking foward to this, when is the Top 100 reveal starting?
                      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• I was going to vote for La Luna - Belinda Carlisle but wiki said the song was released 4/12/89.

Was also going to vote for Only If - Enya but I thought no one else would vote for it. Sorry [MENTION=6689]CZB[/MENTION]

Comment

• I don’t know any of these songs except for "Come Back to Me"
                          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                            Looking foward to this, when is the Top 100 reveal starting?
                            Haven't decided if I want to intersperse the top 100 with the bubbling under like I did last time or not. I think I'm going to run through everything below 250 first as those are all songs that received 50 points or less.

Originally posted by GaGarazzi View Post
                            I was going to vote for La Luna - Belinda Carlisle but wiki said the song was released 4/12/89.

Was also going to vote for Only If - Enya but I thought no one else would vote for it. Sorry [MENTION=6689]CZB[/MENTION]
                            That one I don't think I checked, though I probably should have considering the singer's heyday is the 80s.

Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                            I don’t know any of these songs except for "Come Back to Me"
                            Yeah a lot of songs I've never heard too! There were three or four people whose lists were pretty ecelectic and probably 75% songs that no one else selected.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                              Ah I checked - you are correct - I looked up the album by mistake instead of the single.

Though tbh I didn't look up every song's release date because that would have been time consuming, just ones I suspected were outside the parameters.
                              Gabrielle: "Rise"

Some of the Vinyl Club Remixes are clearly marked p&c 1999 (and are not promo's)
                              But I do agree that it was officially released to wide distribution on February 26, 2000. My bad! Sorry
                              trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                              trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                Paradisio - Bailando (DNK) - wow, expected to see this much higher
                                The version by "Loona" is probably yet to come!
                                trebor's - 2016 in Country Music
                                trebor's - 2015 in Country Music

Comment

• Puff Johnson - Over and Over... forgot all about this gem!

Shame to see a few of mine fall so low but it’s expected.
                                  THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• Only lost Stars on 54 - If You Could Read My Mind (group made up of Ultra Nate, Amber and Jocelyn Enriquez for the movie soundtrack to 54 in 1998), That cover was quite popular here (#3) (and still is on some radio stations).

I thought about Tina Turner - The Best, but yeah that was 1989 as well (Even though she re-released a version 'Simply The Best' with Jimmy Barnes in '91/'92 as part of her greatest hits album and also as official promo song for the NRL Footy season that year).
                                    Last edited by Affillate; Tue June 25th, 2019, 13:16.
                                    UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                                      Only lost Stars on 54 - If You Could Read My Mind (group made up of Ultra Nate, Amber and Jocelyn Enriquez for the movie soundtrack to 54 in 1998), That cover was quite popular here (#3) (and still is on some radio stations).
                                      It was popular in NZ at the time, too. When I was in Aussie for 3 months at the beginning of the year I think I heard this song twice on different radio stations. Flashback. Catchy a$$ song, though.
                                      Baaaaad relationship??
                                      The lyric video for my new single TRIP THE ALARM here!

♬ Keen addictions, between afflictions, I guess I had it coming...

Comment

• Bonnie Raitt - Slow Ride - I can't believe someone ( [MENTION=18383]taverner[/MENTION] ) voted for a Bonnie Raitt song that I did not.
                                        Wilson Phillips - You're In Love - Kind of surprised this is so low, but they seem pretty much known for Hold On
                                        The Uncanny Alliance - I Got My Education - the lowest song to get two votes, but this one makes me smile.
                                        Crystal Waters - 100% Pure Love - This just missed my list - I think this is so much better than Gypsy Woman
                                        Salt N Pepa ft En Vogue - Whatta Man - Another one I considered - two dynamite acts from the 90s together!
                                        Salt N Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex - Damn did Salt N Pepa ever get screwed in this countdown
                                        Whitney Houston - Exhale (Shoop Shoop) - The most shocking placement to me. This song was her last #1 in the US and has the record for most weeks at #2. One of the most accessible songs of josecharts's submissions, and he still managed to be the only one to vote for it.
                                        Missy Elliott - The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly) Justice for Missy

Comment

• Posting the next set at the top of the next page

Comment

• Coincidentally, everything 500 and below got 25 points meaning that we will be moving on to the top half of people's lists (where they were the only voter) in the next set. In this group, only twelve songs received more than one vote, but two of them (#580 and #575) are our first to get three votes.

#592 - 14 POINTS:

Ace Of Base - Beautiful Life (HotPotato)
                                            Belinda Carlisle - Summer Rain (GaGarazzi)
                                            Destiny's Child - Say My Name (Tomer_MC)
                                            Fiona Apple - Sleep to Dream (CrazyCrazy)
                                            Kylie Minogue - Shocked (Erotica)
                                            Louise - Undivided Love (sg1996)
                                            Moloko - Fun For Me (heppolo)
                                            Patti LaBelle - Somebody Loves You Baby (DNK)
                                            Sweetbox - Everything's Gonna Be Alright (CZB)

#588 - 15 POINTS

Amy Grant - That's What Love is For (Benny)
                                            Amina - Le Dernier Que A Parlé (heppolo)
                                            Faith Evans - Love Like This (Controlfreak)
                                            Primitives - You Are The Way (navi)
                                            Rednex - You Are the Way (Erotica)
                                            Shakespear's Sister - Hello (Turn Your Radio On) (CZB)

#587 - Neneh Cherry - Woman (Tomer_MC 9; heppolo 6)

#582 - 16 POINTS

Atomic Kitten - Right Now (Spiral)
                                            Janet Jackson - Whoops Now (josecharts)
                                            Magazin And Lidija - Nostalgia (CZB)
                                            Shania Twain - (If You're Not in It for Love) I'm Outta Here! (JSparksFan)
                                            Tic Tac Toe - Ich find dich scheiße (Erotica)

#581 - Toni Braxton - Love Shoulda Brought You Home (hun 10; RayRay 6)
                                            #580 - Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl (CrazyCrazy 10; navi 4; GaGarazzi 2)

#576 - 17 POINTS

Kolibri - A YA? (heppolo)
                                            Kristine W. - Feel What You Want (josecharts)
                                            Madder Rose - Panic On (navi)
                                            Nicole - Nicole's (Single) Party (CZB)

#575 - Loreena McKennit - The Mummers' Dance (RedSimba 14; AlmostGold 2; cheapthrills 1)

#567 - 18 POINTS

Belly - Feed the Tree
                                            Guano Apes - Don't Turn Your Back On Me (heppolo)
                                            Katrina and The Waves - Love Shine a Light (taverner)
                                            Madonna - I'll Remember (RedSimba)
                                            Maggie Reilly - What About Tomorrow's Children? (CZB)
                                            Neneh Cherry - I've Got You Under My Skin (trebor)
                                            Sybil - When I'm Good And Ready (CrazyCrazy)
                                            Whitney Houston - My Heart Is Calling (Bellus)

#561 - 19 POINTS

Amber - This Is Your Night (Affillate)
                                            Lil Kim - Crush On You (LongingHeart)
                                            Natalie Merchant - Carnival (josecharts)
                                            Royal Trux - Waterpark (navi)
                                            Total - Kissin' You (hun)
                                            Gabielle - Give Me A Little More Time (sg1996)

#560 - Selena - I Could Fall in Love (RedSimba 13; DNK 6)

#549 - 20 POINTS

Brandy - What About Us? (Bellus)
                                            Dina Carroll - The Perfect Year (matthew_dixon)
                                            Elisa - Sleeping in Your Hand (heppolo)
                                            Juliet Roberts - Caught In The Middle (HotPotato)
                                            Liz Phair - Big Tall Man (navi)
                                            Liz Phair - Supernova (cheapthrills)
                                            Nicole Wray - Make It Got (Controlfreak)
                                            Solid Harmonie - I Want You To Want Me (abidhaq)
                                            The Brand New Heavies - Never Stop (RedSimba)
                                            Whitney Houston - Miracle (RayRay)

#547 - Kate Bush - Rubberband Girl (trebor 17; CrazyCrazy 3)
                                            #546 - Paula Cole - Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? (Erotica 18; taverner 2)

#536 - 21 POINTS

Adina Howard - Freak Like Me (hun)
                                            Alanis Morissette - You Learn (Biebz)
                                            Berdien Stenberg - Une Fille De Tous Les Pays/Dominique/Le Printemps (CZB)
                                            Dannii Minogue - Love and Kisses (Bellus)
                                            Das Modul - Kleine Maus (josecharts)
                                            Frances Ruffelle - Lonely Symphony (heppolo)
                                            Shakira - Inevitable (GaGarazzi)
                                            Tamia - You Put A Move On My Heart (RedSimba)
                                            Tracie Spencer - Tender Kisses (Controlfreak)
                                            Shanice & Jon Secada - If I Never Knew You (RayRay)

#529 - 22 POINTS

Dana International - Diva (heppolo)
                                            Medicine - Time Baby #3 (navi)
                                            Shakira - Pies Descalzos, Sueños Blancos (MrLeonix)
                                            Veruca Salt - Volcano Girls (AlmostGold)
                                            B*Witched - C’est La Vie (sg1996)
                                            Laura Pausini - Strani Amori (RayRay)

#528 - Paula Cole - I Don't Want to Wait (Tomer_MC 17; AlmostGold 5)

#521 - 23 POINTS

Cocteau Twins - Bluebeard (heppolo)
                                            Culture Beat - Mr. Vain (Benny)
                                            Emilíana Torrini - To Be Free (CrazyCrazy)
                                            Massive Attack and Tracey Thorn - Protection (navi)
                                            Nicole - Mehr Als Nur Zusammen Schlafen Gehn (CZB)
                                            Sarah McLachlan - Ice Cream [Live] (josecharts)
                                            Xscape - My Little Secret (Controlfreak)

#520 - Kiri Te Kanawa - World in Union (taverner 13; CZB 10)
                                            #519 - Jessica Folcker - How Will I Know (Who You Are) (Benny 20; GonPop 3)

#508 - 24 POINTS

Belinda Carlisle - (We Want) The Same Thing (matthew_dixon)
                                            Brigitte Nielsen - How Could You Let Me Go (CZB)
                                            En Vogue - Lies (HotPotato)
                                            Eva Cassidy - Over the Rainbow (CrazyCrazy)
                                            Gabrielle - Walk On By (sg1996)
                                            Hole - Doll Parts (navi)
                                            La Bouche - Sweet Dreams (AlmostGold)
                                            Lene Marlin - Unforgivable Sinner (trebor)
                                            Stina Nordemstam - Something Nice (heppolo)
                                            Tina Arena - Now I Can Dance (RayRay)
                                            Total - Can't You See (hun)

#500 - 25 POINTS

Delgados - Pull the Wire From the Wall (navi)
                                            Madonna - Nothing Really Matters (HotPotato)
                                            Marusha - Somewhere Over The Rainbow (josecharts)
                                            Rita Macneil - Working Man (CZB)
                                            Scarlet - Independent Love Song (matthew_dixon)
                                            Skunk Anansie - Weak (heppolo)
                                            The Cranberries - Salvation (MrLeonix)
                                            Ultra Nate - Free (abidhaq)

#499 - Whitney Houston - My Name is Not Susan (HotPotato 13; Erotica 12)
                                            #498 - Sleeper - Sale of the Century (matthew_dixon 16; heppolo 9)

Comment

• aren't Brandy's What About Us? released in early 2000s ......????

Comment

• Hmpf, [MENTION=34626]Bellus[/MENTION]

Comment

• I am surprised that I was the only one to vote Dana International, "Diva" was quite a milestone for the community back in 1998

Comment

• @cheapthrills All Saints - I Know Where It's At was in my top 10 (46 Pts) so it should be higher at 66pts.

and yes, Brandy's What About Us was definitely 2002.

was always thinking of more I hadn't voted, B*Witched one of those, So low for Cest La Vie, but thats the interesting unpredictable and fun part of this as well I guess seeing what everyone put in their mix, Maybe some of their others will chart higher. Also kinda surprising DC with Say My Name, but that could also owe to being one of those 1999/2000 crossover songs.

great eurodance number from Amber - This is Your Night was my other vote that batch.
                                                    Last edited by Affillate; Wed June 26th, 2019, 12:46.
                                                    UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

• Yes, I was concerned that there would be some duplicates I missed and that is one of them. I've corrected the entry.

The songs have been bumped slightly as a result of that and another duplicate I found. Will post the next set shortly.

Comment

• So we're on to the next set of 100. We move up to people who placed songs in their top 20, and tomorrow's list will get into the lower half of people's top tens. Once we get to the top 250, I'll begin to start revealing the songs that are in the overall top 100.

#492 - 26 POINTS

Breeders - Safari (navi)
                                                        Datura - Yerba Del Diablo [Yaqui] (josecharts)
                                                        Françoiz Breut - Ma Colère*(heppolo)
                                                        Mya - It's All About Me (Controlfreak)
                                                        PJ Harvey - 50ft Queenie (CrazyCrazy)
                                                        *Louise - Let’s Go Round Again (sg1996)

#491 Selena - Dreaming of You (DNK 15; HotPotato)
                                                        #490 Eternal - Power of a Woman (hun 18; Thriller 8)

#482 - 27 POINTS

Ace Of Base - Happy Nation (CZB)
                                                        Das Modul - 1100101 (josecharts)
                                                        Joan Osborne Right Hand Man (CrazyCrazy)
                                                        Lonnie Gordon Happenin' All Over Again (HotPotato)
                                                        Mariah Carey Someday (Erotica)
                                                        Texas Summer Son (Benny)
                                                        Theaudience - I Know Enough (I Don't Get Enough) (heppolo)
                                                        Vengaboys We’re Going to Ibiza! (Biebz)

#474 - 28 POINTS

Aaliyah - 4 Page Letter (LongingHeart)
                                                        Come - Car (navi)
                                                        Mystic - Ritmo De La Noche (CZB)
                                                        Sheryl Crow - My Favorite Mistake (CrazyCrazy)
                                                        Sonia - Only Fools (Never Fall In Love) (HotPotato)
                                                        U96 - Love Religion (josecharts)
                                                        *M People - Search For The Hero (sg1996)
                                                        *Paula Abdul- Vibeology (RayRay)

#472 - Elastica - Connection (heppolo 19; cheapthrills 9)

#463 - 29 POINTS

Aaliyah - Back and Forth (Tomer_MC)
                                                        Cathy Dennis - Just Another Dream (HotPotato)
                                                        Cranes - Shining Road (heppolo)
                                                        Echobelly - King of the Kerb (matthew_dixon)
                                                        Elastica - Stutter (navi)
                                                        Mariah Carey - Anytime You Need A Friend (RayRay)
                                                        Real McCoy - Another Night (Affillate)
                                                        Vaya Con Dios - Heading For A Fall (CZB)
                                                        Whitney Houston - Why Does It Hurt So Bad? (LongingHeart)
                                                        *Lutricia McNeal - Someone Loves You Honey (sg1996)

#462 - Missy Elliott - She's a Bitch (Bellus 17; Tomer_MC 12)

#452 - 30 POINTS

Aqua - Turn Back Time (abidhaq)
                                                        Cher - Dove L'Amore (Erotica)
                                                        Crystal Waters - Gypsy Woman (hun)
                                                        Das Modul - Computerliebe (josecharts)
                                                        Erykah Badu - Next Lifetime (CrazyCrazy)
                                                        Fugees Ready Or Not (Tomer_MC)
                                                        Shonen Knife - Space Christmas (heppolo)
                                                        Tina Cousins - Killin' Time (CZB)
                                                        Trisha Yearwood - There Goes My Baby (Spiral)

#451 - Lutricia McNeal - Ain't That Just the Way (sg1996 25; trebor 5)
                                                        #450 - Maggie Reilly - Everytime We Touch (trebor 26; Benny 4)

#443 - 31 POINTS

Alex Party - Don't Give Me Your Life (josecharts)
                                                        Curve - Horror Head (heppolo)
                                                        Groove Theory - Tell Me (RedSimba)
                                                        Luz (Casal) - Piensa En Mi (CZB)
                                                        Mary Chapin Carpenter - Passionate Kisses (AlmostGold)
                                                        Roxette - Wish I Could Fly (Erotica)
                                                        *B*Witched - Blame It On The Weatherman (sg1996)

#442 - Lucilectric - Mädchen/Girly Girl (josecharts 29; CZB 2)

#433 - 32 POINTS

Alanis Morissette - Uninvited (RedSimba)
                                                        Diana Ross - Not Over You Yet (hun)
                                                        Guano Apes - Open Your Eyes (heppolo)
                                                        Martika - Martika's Kitchen (RayRay)
                                                        Paula Abdul - The Promise of a New Day (JeremySpears)
                                                        Poe - Control (CrazyCrazy)
                                                        Portishead - Sour Times (navi)
                                                        Whitney Houston - Step By Step (Thriller)

#432 - Tori Amos - Professional Widow (CrazyCrazy 21; Thriller 11)
                                                        #431 - Faith Hill - Breathe (Tomer_MC 22; AlmostGold 10)

#418 - 33 POINTS

Bachelor Girl - Buses & Trains (Affillate)
                                                        Bonnie Raitt - You Got It (AlmostGold)
                                                        Céline Dion - The Power of the Dream (JSparksFan)
                                                        Lisa Ekdahl - Vem Vet (heppolo)
                                                        Mary J Blige - As (With George Michael) (CrazyCrazy)
                                                        Mazzy Star - Fade Into You (Biebz)
                                                        Sabrina Setlur - Du Liebst Mich Nicht (trebor)
                                                        Saint Etienne - You're in a Bad Way (navi)
                                                        Shania Twain - Any Man of Mine (Controlfreak)
                                                        The Human League - Tell Me When (josecharts)
                                                        Vera Mann - Nog Een Kans*(CZB)
                                                        *Aretha Franklin - A Deeper Love (RayRay)
                                                        *Cleopatra - Cleopatra Theme (sg1996)

#417 - Diana Ross - When You Tell Me That You Love Me (Spiral 29; JakeP 4)

#409 - 34 POINTS

Bette Midler - From a Distance (Benny)
                                                        Dune - Are You Ready To Fly (josecharts)
                                                        Madonna - Drowned World / Substitute For Love (MrLeonix)
                                                        Me And My - Dub.I.Dub (CZB)
                                                        Sleater-Kinney - Get Up (navi)
                                                        Spice Girls - Holler (LongingHeart)
                                                        The Cranberries - I Can't Be With You (heppolo)
                                                        *Wilson Phillips - Release Me (RayRay)

#408 - Gala - Freed From Desire (sg1996 27; Benny 7)
                                                        #407 - Björk - Human Behaviour (RedSimba 29; Bellus 5)

#399 - 35 POINTS

Air - All I Need (navi)
                                                        Culture Beat - Inside Out (josecharts)
                                                        Danijela - Neka Mi Ne Svane (CZB)
                                                        Emma Bunton - What I Am (with Tin Tin Out) (CrazyCrazy)
                                                        Lauryn Hill - Everything Is Everything (JSparksFan)
                                                        Melissa Etheridge - Angels Would Fall (trebor)
                                                        Sade - Cherish The Day (LongingHeart)
                                                        *Cleopatra - I Want U Back (sg1996)

#398 - Blondie - Maria (taverner 22; MrLeonix 13)

Comment

• Paula sweetie...
                                                          Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• I simply can't believe I was the only person who voted for Madonna's "Drowned World / Substitute For Love".
                                                            Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• I see some Eurovision entries, besides my few picks, like
                                                              Danijela - Neka Mi Ne Svane (CZB)

Comment

Working...
                                                              X