Ever Stopped Being Someone's Fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NormiMalone View Post
    [MENTION=31471]RayRay[/MENTION] [MENTION=87497]Hejira[/MENTION] I cannot at these babies and their "I can only stan an artist when they have hits" schtick. If that's the mentality kids have these days, than I am ever more proud to be dusty. Good lord! Imagine missing out on some magic like this...

...just because her label dropped the ball in promoting her. What a blessing it is, then, to be able to listen to a good song and judge it on its own merits and not ask "Well, where did it place on the charts? What are its streaming numbers?" Ridiculous. Hope they grow out of it, they are only harming their own musical journeys with such shortsightedness. I'll pray
    Very true.
    "When 'Glitter' came out I was suddenly done with her, I love everything she did before that" is such a good example on how fickle people can be.
    She didn't do anything drastically different, except a bit more rap features. Many were influenced by the media, 'she's a looney tune now so she lost all her integrity', plus the album being written off as a flop. How is someone even a fan if they decide to move on after reading she's not #1 anymore in the newspaper?
    I think real fans, those who are truly in it for the music, stay with an artist. Doesn't mean you don't get the right to be critical (I certainly didn't like that Elusive Chanteuse album) but you know that an artist like Mariah will ultimately come back with something good, always..cause that's the talent.
    People stan producers nowadays. The random name tagged on the song will be forgotten but the sound the producer provides remains. That is why it's important that artists have the ability to write and produce their own stuff so they can create their own sound and not have to depend on a hot producer.
    I could write a whole book on this but I'll stop myself right here cause my bolognese sauce is overcooking
    "Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
    https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
    "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

The interest drops maybe but you can never stop your fandom for someone you've always loved.
      Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.

Comment

I've been a casual fan of a few people, so IDK if I ever really counted as a fan, but there a few:

Jennifer Lopez lost me when she started dissing Mariah in 1998, and really lost me when she stole from her.
        R. Kelly is irredeemably vile, and I don't have discuss the reason why I think this. I was on the "cancel R. Kelly" train long before the general public was.
        Justin Timberlake is a culture vulture, a misogynist, and genuinely unlikable person. I was more than happy to start ignoring him.
        Sam Cooke, James Brown, and Marvin Gaye all have heinous stories about them sleeping with young girls and raping women (James). I can't honestly appreciate someone's work knowing that they are/were absolutely disgusting. I would lump Elvis in here, too, but I'm not really a fan of his.

People like Pink and Lady Gaga have generally lost my interest, but I still like their old music.

Comment

Originally posted by Hejira View Post
          When 'Glitter' came out I was suddenly done with her, I love everything she did before that" is such a good example on how fickle people can be....

People stan producers nowadays. The random name tagged on the song will be forgotten but the sound the producer provides remains. That is why it's important that artists have the ability to write and produce their own stuff so they can create their own sound and not have to depend on a hot producer.
          I could write a whole book on this but I'll stop myself right here cause my bolognese sauce is overcooking
          Having a bad reaction to a project is a bit understandable though. There will never be enough words to describe the crushing disappointment of Hard Candy for me, for example. In many ways, I considered myself done with Madonna for a while and MDNO brought more of the same. Still listened to her back catalogue and still had fondness for it, but I just found her uninteresting and could no longer really consider myself a fan. I thought Rebel Heart was more melodic the the twin tuneless atrocities that preceded it, but it had no staying power and it wasn't the creative rebound I would have wanted to start following her again. Seeing the show ultimately lead me to at least forgive the wackness of the previous 2 eras and be open to any new projects. Madame X grew on me enough to be in regular rotation in a way the previous 3 albums weren't. In some way, I do consider myself a fan again, but perhaps no longer die-hard
          The sands of time fade into dark
          Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
          A message to madness
          Feel music that's realness

Comment

Feminem is another one for me. I didn’t mind him during his peak, I actually kind of liked him, tho I always kept my appreciation of him on a low key level. But three factors changed that completely: 1. His DRASTIC downfall in quality, 2. His disturbing treatment of Kween, 3. His blatant yt privilege that catapulted him to the top of every “Best Rappers Ever” list.
            Originally posted by Kaloki
            I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

Then there's Aguirrela, I don't think I've been disinterested in any act like I've been with her. Everything since Genie Inside a Bottle has been <<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                Feminem is another one for me. I didn’t mind him during his peak, I actually kind of liked him, tho I always kept my appreciation of him on a low key level. But three factors changed that completely: 1. His DRASTIC downfall in quality, 2. His disturbing treatment of Kween, 3. His blatant yt privilege that catapulted him to the top of every “Best Rappers Ever” list.
                He kinda took Rap music to the doorstep of Backstreet/Britney fans who would've otherwise never known of the genre. Sad actually

Comment

I can’t believe a spammer started a hit thread for once

(I just deleted another post they made that contained an advertising spam link).

Comment

Originally posted by abi View Post
                    Other than that, I'm still quite loyal to my faves.
                    Wait now that I think about it, I actually have quite a few.

Usher. I used to be a big (almost huge) fan during Confessions, Here I Stand & Raymond v Raymond. And then Looking 4 Myself happened. I don't know, while I appreciated some of the songs here and there and I liked the fact that he decided to experiment with his sound a little bit, it just wasn't doing it for me. And then, "Good Kisser" came out and I thought he might be bouncing back cause I liked that song a lot but it turned out he just kept releasing dud after dud after dud.

Ne-Yo. His music bores me a lot these days. The last interesting song that he released was probably "Don't Make 'Em Like You" or something like that, and it was unfortunately a flop.

Trey Songz. Dude fell really hard. He was never the most exciting R&B artist sonically but I remember he was always releasing bops after bops back in the day. And then I think his music became really stale cause he never went outside his comfort zone and tried new things, and now most of his newer music sounds the same to me. He's like recycling all of his older songs.

Kelly Rowland. I used to like her more than Beyonce when I was younger, and that says a lot because Beyonce is my all-time fave female singer now. I stanned her so hard during Ms. Kelly and I still think the album could've been MUCH bigger had they released the right singles. "Comeback" should've been pushed, "Work" should've been pushed IN THE STATES, "Still In Love With My Ex" should've been pushed. The tragedy that is "Daylight" should have NEVER happened, "Like This" would've been a cute third or fourth single, definitely not a comeback single material - so was "Ghetto". And then she started venturing into EDM & Dance-Pop and I started to lose interest. She then went back to R&B again but it was never the same to me.
                    Last edited by abi; Wed October 30th, 2019, 10:10.

Comment

Britney Spears - femme fatale era was just awful to witness, and britney jean was like final nail in the coffin for me.

Comment

I have a couple like Ellie Goulding and GaGa but I still Stan for most of the artists I loved growing up like Kelly Clarkson, Panic!, Mariah, ALPHABEAT, girls Aloud, placebo and Britney. I don't think I'll ever stop stanning them.
                        Love you like a love song!

Comment

I wonder if some confuse the term 'fan' with 'just liking an artist' ?
                          "Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
                          https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
                          "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

Lily Allen. Loved her first 2 albums and a few tracks from the 3rd one... her s.j.w nonsense, thinking everyone needs her opinion and telling people they're wrong for not sharing the same opinion ultimately ruined the lot for me. Can't even listen to tracks like The Fear, Littlest Things or Not Fair - all of which were great - without cringing like hell anymore. What a dobbin.

Comment

No, i'm loyal. And sentimental.
                              Xtina/GoldLink/Slayer/Mobb Deep/KAYTRANADA/2Pac/Snoh ​​Aalegra

Comment

Yes, and I still do feel a resentment towards them to this day. I will always love their past work though.

2013 was a fun year.
                                Listen to music from niceperson104’s library (31,850 tracks played). niceperson104’s top artists: Mariah Carey, Björk, Lana Del Rey. Get your own music profile at Last.fm, the world’s largest social music platform.

Comment

Working...
                                X