Are songs getting shorter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GetBack View Post
    LOL! How is he narrow minded? Of course, there is a repeated structure in songs, it's not necessarily the chorus as well.
    Many 6 min+ songs don't repeat themselves, but rather show progression. You can listen to several electronic/jazz/alternative pieces and you won't find even choruses. And they can be brilliant. Long songs don't have typical structures, usually they have a climax and the song revolves around that. So yes, a 6 min Pop song might be boring, but I can't even remember examples of such a song. I guess there are, but there are brilliant tracks which go way beyond the typical structure and are much better than a 3.15min song can ever be.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Yes, but 5-6 minutes songs generally border on boring unless it's a progressive metal/rock or even some EDM/Garage Uk.
      I know how I feel when I'm around you, I don't know

Comment

Bionic was ahead of time again. I Hate boys is 2:24 long.
        Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Lauren Hill/Rosalía/Nina Simone/Patti Smith

Comment

Originally posted by beredy View Post
          It's to get more stream numbers. You can listen to a 2.5 min song 8 times in 20 minutes, something you can only do 5 times for a song of 4 minute length.
          Essentially, this.
          Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

In the meantime....

If you have 5 minutes, please check out my song "Alibi" on YouTube.

Comment

Definitely. Soon the standard single will be 2.5 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                ^ Yes, back in the 50s and 60s songs were also short.

Nowadays it is probably because a stream only counts if you've played at least half of the song. If someone skips the song, you've got more chance they have come to half the song if it is short.
                This is incorrect. You only have to play 30 seconds of a song for it to register as a stream actually.

Comment

It's why a lot of these rap tunes get in the OCC charts these days you listen to 35 seconds of it & you think god no & they get into the charts.

I might have got that wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Woz1234 View Post
                    It's why a lot of these rap tunes get in the OCC charts these days you listen to 35 seconds of it & you think god no & they get into the charts.

So accurate although I don’t even last 35 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Woz1234 View Post

In my opinion it all comes back to the fault of the charts companies. Listening to a mere 30 seconds of a song simply should not count as a stream anyway!!

Comment

Agreed. It should only count if you listen to the entire song. With airplay, it can happen that you only catch the last minute of a song. It's very unlikely that this happens with self-determined music consumption.
                        Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                        and everything you stand for?
                        Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                        just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Working...
                        X